Gauging Interest in Writing In-Game Guides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds cool, though we probably shouldn't go too overboard on descriptions. I agree that more than a sentence would be good, though. This sort of project would probably be best as a collaboration anyway, so if someone else is up for organizing it, that'd be awesome.
I'd be willing to help contribute to a Pokemon Colosseum tier list revamp or whatever we're calling it as I just finished playing it again (100% through) and wrote a lot of side things for myself in preparation for a potential future LP

I'd be willing to help contribute to a Pokemon Colosseum tier list revamp or whatever we're calling it as I just finished playing it again (100% through) and wrote a lot of side things for myself in preparation for a potential future LP
Awesome. Would you be up for doing the organization part of it as well, or are you just shooting for writing some parts?

If anyone wants to write a S/M RNG guide, I can offer... self experience of RNGing the Tapus several times >_< This is something that definitely needs to be written, because most of the available information is scattered around, incomplete, and mostly not in English. I've done stationary RNG, but I don't know the other forms (wild/UB, etc) and there are lots of newer functions of RNG Reporter that I have no idea about because most of the development takes place somewhere else. Even Smogon's one thread died months ago so I don't know how many people here are familiar with it at all.

If the project sets sail I wouldn't mind be able to work on the Battle Facilities (Tree, specifically speaking of S/M) part. Been into it since the start, plagued the Discord since ages and have always been into writing detailed guides and articles, and numbercrunching.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Regarding the tier threads, Jellicent asked me to post who was running what and if they are still up for it for the time being.

The overall list of threads can be found here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/in-game-tiering-threads-list.3603117/

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokemon-rby-in-game-tiers-mark-iii.3479999/ atsync All this needs is a tidy up/go over to tidy things up right? Then it should basically be good to go? This has been done and the current version is on the website

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/gsc-in-game-tier-list.3525167/ Colonel M I presume this will see a surge of activity when GS hits the VC Store, and I think it is somewhere near being complete.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...emerald-in-game-tier-list-discussion.3609130/ Merritt Still in its infancy, but getting there with good discussion so far.

Fire Red/Leaf Green, Colosseum and XD:Gale of Darkness would likely all need "re-writes" to bring them up to par with the other tier lists on the website. These however are likely lower on the priority list for now as I would prefer the other lists that are in the process of being completed first.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokémon-diamond-pearl-platinum-in-game-tier-list-discussion.3603381/ sin(pi) has some good discussion and debating going on in this thread so far. Has real potential to get a much higher quality version than the one which currently exists on the website.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/heartgold-and-soulsilver-ingame-tiers.3477203/ Diana has recently posted and said this list is effectively dead, so if anyone wants to talk to me/take it over then PM me and we can see.

Black & White's list on the website is "OK" but it would be cool if we could put this on to the list for a go over later on down the line if there is enough interest.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokémon-black-2-and-white-2-in-game-tier-list-mark-iii.3584891/ Its_A_Random has been working tirelessly on this for ages. It is almost complete. This would likely be the First "new" list on the website if we can get it all sorted and tidied up. This is the standard to which I hope all the tier threads can be completed too.

At this point, the games start getting ridicuously large in terms of scope and Pokemon available, which is why the XY list still hasn't really come together yet.
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/pokémon-x-y-in-game-tier-list-discussion-mkii.3517128/ I would love for this to be completed, but there are just so many Pokemon to list. It's a huge and daunting task.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-tier-list-v2-0.3532211/ The ORAS list is coming along nicely and with a few more pokes should be able to get completed decently quickly.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sun-moon-in-game-tier-list.3587886/ The Sun/Moon list is also coming along nicely. If we can get this one done before USUM drops it would be amazing!

I am aware some of these listings already have pages on the website, and I think it would be cool to keep those there and compare the differences between the different lists and what point in time they were made.

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Yeah, I'll be happy to write up a new version of the RSE ingame tier list once the discussion thread seems to have finished settling everything (the current onsite one is a mixture of outdated and bizarre), but that'll probably be a while yet.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
If anyone wants to write a S/M RNG guide, I can offer... self experience of RNGing the Tapus several times >_< This is something that definitely needs to be written, because most of the available information is scattered around, incomplete, and mostly not in English. I've done stationary RNG, but I don't know the other forms (wild/UB, etc) and there are lots of newer functions of RNG Reporter that I have no idea about because most of the development takes place somewhere else. Even Smogon's one thread died months ago so I don't know how many people here are familiar with it at all.
We've had people reserve guides for encounter RNG and for breeding RNG in the Wi-Fi version of this thread; I'm actually not sure if stationary RNG is counted under encounter RNG, so I'll tag Djura quick, who reserved that one. If they weren't planning on covering stationaries and only on doing wild encounters then you're good to go, otherwise up to them if they want to team up.

If the project sets sail I wouldn't mind be able to work on the Battle Facilities (Tree, specifically speaking of S/M) part. Been into it since the start, plagued the Discord since ages and have always been into writing detailed guides and articles, and numbercrunching.
Sounds good, keep an eye out for the PM if we get the go-ahead for the forum.

We've had people reserve guides for encounter RNG and for breeding RNG in the Wi-Fi version of this thread; I'm actually not sure if stationary RNG is counted under encounter RNG, so I'll tag Djura quick, who reserved that one. If they weren't planning on covering stationaries and only on doing wild encounters then you're good to go, otherwise up to them if they want to team up.
Yeah, I plan on writing on stationaries (minus Solgaleo / Lunala), Ultra Beasts and Necrozma, ingame gifts, Mystery Gifts, and possibly G7 TID / SID abuse. The Dutch Plumberjack, you want me to leave CFW out of this, right? I have a guide that I can edit for non-CFW users, but it still needs a lot of edits.

I can also do ingame screenshots if you don't want cellphone quality photos.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I should have more time with me switching back to firsts to at least slam the write-ups. The bigger problem is maybe solidifying the tiers a bit and finishing write-ups, but I can try to dedicate a couple days to push those out ASAP Rocky.

I'm also available for others to ask questions on In-Game Tiers as far as if you want to move Pokemon up or down at the least and why. I've just not played some of these in a while, so that's they only drawback. I'm also looking for those that have participated in In-Game Tier Lists a lot for second opinions

And yeah whichever ones don't have a thread and aren't really RBY REALLY could use updates. I know ADV In-game tier lists alone were pretty off-the-chart, and so was DP(P).

I'd say after Labor Day weekend I should be fairly flexible and open, so I can see to schedule time for this.

Last edited:
Awesome. Would you be up for doing the organization part of it as well, or are you just shooting for writing some parts?
Seeing as I'm just about to start another semester of college, I probably don't have the time needed to really organize or lead it, but more so just contribute

I could write/update a general breeding guide, including Egg move inheritance, Special balls inheritance, and other mechanics not covered in the RNG guide. If that is already taken, I could work on something else as well for in game information, such as TM locations, Useful character locations (move tutors, deleters, etc), Z Crystal locations (as not all of them are linked to Trials/Grand Trials)

Yeah, I'll be happy to write up a new version of the RSE ingame tier list once the discussion thread seems to have finished settling everything (the current onsite one is a mixture of outdated and bizarre), but that'll probably be a while yet.
Excellent, I'll add you to the PM if the forum goes live.
Yeah, I plan on writing on stationaries (minus Solgaleo / Lunala), Ultra Beasts and Necrozma, ingame gifts, Mystery Gifts, and possibly G7 TID / SID abuse. The Dutch Plumberjack, you want me to leave CFW out of this, right? I have a guide that I can edit for non-CFW users, but it still needs a lot of edits.

I can also do ingame screenshots if you don't want cellphone quality photos.
Yeah, keep CFW out. Screenshots would be awesome, though ^.^
I should have more time with me switching back to firsts to at least slam the write-ups. The bigger problem is maybe solidifying the tiers a bit and finishing write-ups, but I can try to dedicate a couple days to push those out ASAP Rocky.

I'm also available for others to ask questions on In-Game Tiers as far as if you want to move Pokemon up or down at the least and why. I've just not played some of these in a while, so that's they only drawback. I'm also looking for those that have participated in In-Game Tier Lists a lot for second opinions

And yeah whichever ones don't have a thread and aren't really RBY REALLY could use updates. I know ADV In-game tier lists alone were pretty off-the-chart, and so was DP(P).

I'd say after Labor Day weekend I should be fairly flexible and open, so I can see to schedule time for this.
Sounds great! I'll add you to the PM if the forum launches.
Seeing as I'm just about to start another semester of college, I probably don't have the time needed to really organize or lead it, but more so just contribute
Alright, cool. I'll still add you to the PM if the forum gets approved so you know what's up.
I could write/update a general breeding guide, including Egg move inheritance, Special balls inheritance, and other mechanics not covered in the RNG guide. If that is already taken, I could work on something else as well for in game information, such as TM locations, Useful character locations (move tutors, deleters, etc), Z Crystal locations (as not all of them are linked to Trials/Grand Trials)
Raidx is already planning a breeding guide, though I think he might be up for collaborating. As for the other idea, if you wanted to merge all of those useful location ideas into an SM Tips and Tricks, like this, that'd be fly and I'd add you to the PM as well~

Raidx is already planning a breeding guide, though I think he might be up for collaborating. As for the other idea, if you wanted to merge all of those useful location ideas into an SM Tips and Tricks, like this, that'd be fly and I'd add you to the PM as well~
Yes, I'd love to do that. I'l use the ORAS as a skeleton and make a full list of useful locations, items, characters, Z-Crystals, and I can do TMs if you would like as well.

keys

It's Prime Time
is a Forum Moderatoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Excuse me for my lack of familiarity with this, but what exactly are you looking for in said "guides"? Like, what exactly do they entail (I am interested in something like writing about TM/HMs in-game but am not sure what exactly should come from them)?

Winry

Super Graduate-Level Napper
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Apparently gen 6 RNG is possibly without CFW, but the guide that's been circling on Discord is only in Japanese:
http://sina-poke.hatenablog.com/entry/2017/05/06/000557
My Kanji is not that great, but I could maybe try translating/testing it out... this would take a while for me to do though. Thought I would post so maybe if anybody else is interested in doing it they could take it.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Excuse me for my lack of familiarity with this, but what exactly are you looking for in said "guides"? Like, what exactly do they entail (I am interested in something like writing about TM/HMs in-game but am not sure what exactly should come from them)?
for TM locations see e.g. http://www.smogon.com/ingame/misc/oras-tms
basically going beyond just listing the locations and that's it like sites usually do, but also including step-by-step guides on how to get them exactly

Apparently gen 6 RNG is possibly without CFW, but the guide that's been circling on Discord is only in Japanese:
http://sina-poke.hatenablog.com/entry/2017/05/06/000557
My Kanji is not that great, but I could maybe try translating/testing it out... this would take a while for me to do though. Thought I would post so maybe if anybody else is interested in doing it they could take it.
if this is indeed feasible then yes please, something on non-CFW gen 6 RNG would be wonderful

About writing the guide, is it required to have screenshots in the game? I don't have any way to get a screenshot, unless I miss something in the 3ds, or having a good camera to picture it.

About writing the guide, is it required to have screenshots in the game? I don't have any way to get a screenshot, unless I miss something in the 3ds, or having a good camera to picture it.
Screenshots are not a necessity, but we should be able to find someone that can help if you feel the article would be enhanced by them.

Screenshots are not a necessity, but we should be able to find someone that can help if you feel the article would be enhanced by them.
Thanks! I was thinking of that since there are people like me are hard to understand without pictures or drawings and stuff. Also pointing out that someone could make a Super Training guide if there's no guide for it.

Usually those who hard or soft modded their 3DSes with capture cards or CFW, respectively, can take screenshots in Pokemon games. If I remember correctly, you can't upload screenshots from those games into Miiverse whatsoever.

Some people would probably like in-game tiers for more of the side games, such as the Mystery Dungeon series. Right now I'm focusing on already-existing in-game tier threads, as well as lots of non-Pokemon projects, so I won't be contributing much. This is just a suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)