Gen 2 breeding question

Hey there,

I'm trying to breed a shiny machop via a shiny ditto and machoke. I currently have my game saved BEFORE receiving the egg and I let it hatch and if it's not shiny then I do a soft reset. What I have been noticing is that after the soft reset and hatching another egg, the DVs of the baby keep keep on being the same as the baby before the reset. Am I doing the soft reset wrong or am I just unlucky?

If you're mashing A the moment you load in, it's possible you might accidentally be doing RNG manipulation and getting the egg on the same frame every time.

Hey there,

I'm trying to breed a shiny machop via a shiny ditto and machoke. I currently have my game saved BEFORE receiving the egg and I let it hatch and if it's not shiny then I do a soft reset. What I have been noticing is that after the soft reset and hatching another egg, the DVs of the baby keep keep on being the same as the baby before the reset. Am I doing the soft reset wrong or am I just unlucky?
If you are getting machops of both genders, you are doing it correctly, because the attack DV is what determines gender in gen 2. It may take a few eggs to see this though, because machop is 75% male, 25% female.

If you are getting machops of both genders, you are doing it correctly, because the attack DV is what determines gender in gen 2. It may take a few eggs to see this though, because machop is 75% male, 25% female.
I'm getting a female with the same DV every time after I soft reset

Ah, I believe that the DVs are set upon the creation of the egg, not when you collect it, so thats why you are getting the same egg every time. I would get a female shiny gene machop, and a male non-shiny gene machop, and breed them and hatch the eggs manually. You tend to get eggs faster than you can hatch them when you use two machops instead of a machop and a ditto, so you should be able to keep 5 eggs in your party most of the time. Hatching these is awful, but your shiny odds are 3/256 an egg if you do what I said, so it isn't too bad.

Ah, I believe that the DVs are set upon the creation of the egg, not when you collect it, so thats why you are getting the same egg every time. I would get a female shiny gene machop, and a male non-shiny gene machop, and breed them and hatch the eggs manually. You tend to get eggs faster than you can hatch them when you use two machops instead of a machop and a ditto, so you should be able to keep 5 eggs in your party most of the time. Hatching these is awful, but your shiny odds are 3/256 an egg if you do what I said, so it isn't too bad.
I'm starting to think DVs are set when the old man gets it as well and that's why it isn't changing. Some information on the internet is wrong then

So is the 1/64 chance of getting a shiny pokemon with shiny ditto breeding with another pokemon another misconception?
From what I was able to read (on Bulbapedia), 1/64 is correct:

Ditto's defense IV is passed: 1/1 chance of correct shiny so far
50/50 Ditto's Special is preserved: 1/2 chance of correct IVs
Speed is randomized, 1 possible value for shiny (of 16): 1/2*1/16->1/32 chance
Attack is randomized: 8 possible shiny values (of 16): 1/32*1/2 ->1/64 chance.

From what I was able to read (on Bulbapedia), 1/64 is correct:

Ditto's defense IV is passed: 1/1 chance of correct shiny so far
50/50 Ditto's Special is preserved: 1/2 chance of correct IVs
Speed is randomized, 1 possible value for shiny (of 16): 1/2*1/16->1/32 chance
Attack is randomized: 8 possible shiny values (of 16): 1/32*1/2 ->1/64 chance.
Alright ty

So is the 1/64 chance of getting a shiny pokemon with shiny ditto breeding with another pokemon another misconception?
1/64 isn't quite correct. The shiny odds are dependent on the gender ratio of the pokemon you are using. When the attack DV is generated, this decides the gender of the hatched pokemon. And the gender decides which parent the baby will take the defense and special DVs from: a male takes from the mother (or ditto), a female takes from the father. So, this makes the shiny odds dependent on the gender ratio of the species, as only the ditto in your case has the shiny gene. Pokemon with a higher chance of being male have a higher chance of taking the defense and special DVs from your ditto. This makes the shiny odds 1/64 for 87.5% male species (starters, eevee, fossils), 3/256 for 75% male species (things like machop, abra), 1/128 for 50% male species (most pokemon), and 1/256 for 25% male species (things like vulpix). Pokemon that are 100% male or 100% female are 1/64 when bred with a shiny gene ditto.

1/64 isn't quite correct. The shiny odds are dependent on the gender ratio of the pokemon you are using. When the attack DV is generated, this decides the gender of the hatched pokemon. And the gender decides which parent the baby will take the defense and special DVs from: a male takes from the mother (or ditto), a female takes from the father. So, this makes the shiny odds dependent on the gender ratio of the species, as only the ditto in your case has the shiny gene. Pokemon with a higher chance of being male have a higher chance of taking the defense and special DVs from your ditto. This makes the shiny odds 1/64 for 87.5% male species (starters, eevee, fossils), 3/256 for 75% male species (things like machop, abra), 1/128 for 50% male species (most pokemon), and 1/256 for 25% male species (things like vulpix). Pokemon that are 100% male or 100% female are 1/64 when bred with a shiny gene ditto.
This is true if you are breeding the same egg type. Breeding with a shiny ditto, you always pass down the defense IV of the ditto which will be 10, have a 1/2 to get the dittos special IV(either 2 or 10), random chance to get the speed IV(1/16 chance) and random chance for attack IV(1/2 chance due to 8 possibilities).

I noticed that the defense IV never changed and the special IV was either 2 or 10 while breeding myself through trial and error. This means pumpkins post is true for shiny ditto breeding. Your post is true for breeding through the same egg group.

Btw I ended up getting a shiny female machop lol(attack iv was 2).

This is true if you are breeding the same egg type. Breeding with a shiny ditto, you always pass down the defense IV of the ditto which will be 10, have a 1/2 to get the dittos special IV(either 2 or 10), random chance to get the speed IV(1/16 chance) and random chance for attack IV(1/2 chance due to 8 possibilities).

I noticed that the defense IV never changed and the special IV was either 2 or 10 while breeding myself through trial and error. This means pumpkins post is true for shiny ditto breeding. Your post is true for breeding through the same egg group.

Btw I ended up getting a shiny female machop lol(attack iv was 2).
You're right, the baby always takes from the ditto. My bad

You're right, the baby always takes from the ditto. My bad
After doing more research the gender ratio of the pokemon only affects what the gender of the baby will be. So for instance if you breed 2 machops you will get a 33% chance the baby is a male machop which means it's defense and special IVs depend on the mother. Now if you breed a male machop and female jynx, there is a 100% chance the baby will be a female smoochum(baby is always the same pokemon as the mother and Jynx are always female) and it's stats will be dependant on the machop. I think the best chances to get a shiny jynx without using a ditto will be using a shiny male human like pokemon(machop line, hitmon line ect)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)