Gen 7 Gen 7 OU team

I wouldn't say I am a complete noob at teambuilding but im definately not top tier. That is why ive come here with a team that I will be using in a small pokemon tournament. It is OU Gen 7.

The team is built around an alakazam tapu lele core and tries to setup both of them with free switches and favourable matchups to get free hits weakening the enemy team untill alakazam can sweep.

:sm/tapu-lele:
Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Tapu Lele plays as a wall breaker with pretty decent special defence and an amazing special attack stat. A choice specs boosted, STAB boosted, Psychic terrain boosted, psychic is sure to deal a decent bit of damage to even pokemon that resist it. Although it doesnt resist dark types, it can definately take a hit from one unboosted and hit back and usually OHKO with a STAB moonblast. Its also got a decent speed tier which I think allows it to be a good abuser of a slow volt switch from the rotom. It swaps in when I dont want alakazam to take a hit since I need to keep it healthy if Its gonna sweep.

:sm/rotom-wash:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Rotom wash was chosen as a slow volt switcher thats able to give alakazam or tapu lele a free switch in to wreak havoc. Its also able to cripple physical wallbreakers with will o wisp and makes up for the teams low defence. It forms a voltturn core with the lando and also checks many pokemon in the tier from my experience and has been very useful to me. It can swap in on predicted EQs and cripple them with a will o wisp and it has been able to deal with the many greninjas ive faced very well.

:sm/heatran:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Flash Cannon

Heatran is there specifically to eliminate common steel types that threaten alakazam, such as ferrothorn, scizor and celesteela or force them to switch out. If they swap out a stab magma storm can usually do a decent bit of damage softening them up for alakazam to sweep or it could setup stealth rocks, if garchomp failed. Its also used to bait in powerful ground types so they can be crippled early on by rotom wash or create momentum. It also covers rotoms grass and lando and garchomps ice weakness and can force them out.

:sm/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Rockium Z No longer a member
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Garchomp was chosen as a stealth rock setter because of its favourable match up against defoggers and offensive pressure. this produces By forcing switches it can launch powerful attacks for free further softening up the enemy team or get a free stealth rock setup. It can also be a decent wall breaker with a +2 Continental crush at its disposal. Its also able to take a little bit of damage. No longer part of team check next member

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

So I added this Tapu Bulu set to deal with greninjas, as they were really causing me trouble. It also forms a nice fire, water, grass defensive core with other mons. It also counters Kartana which also was really annoying me. I decided to remove garchomp because heatran was getting rocks up more by swapping into steel types and the garchomp was not doing much that my lando could not.

:sm/landorus-therian:
Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 148 Atk / 84 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Landorus is my speed control. It does a great job of creating momentum by predicting switches and uturning out and perhaps given lele or alakazam a free switch in. When it gets low and I see that there is no point keeping it alive is uses explosion which deals a good amount of damage. Its weakness to ice is covered by rotom wash and heatran so it is able to uturn out to them and create that momentum. Landorus also has a bulk ev spread because I was afraid that the team was lacking bulk. If it gets low and it won't be useful to keep around it can use Explosion to deal a large amount of damage to anything in the way.

:sm/alakazam-mega:
Alakazam-Mega (M) @ Alakazite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

And of course alakazam is their to launch immensely powerful attacks, especially if it has psychic terrain up, and clean through the crippled and weakened mons or just take advantages of free switches. Its amazing speed tier allows it to beat out almost anything and even some scarfers and most of the mons that resist it are covered by the rest of the team. Alakazams magic guard also allows it to resist toxic damage so it is a good check against toxapex thanks to its decent special bulk and recovery.

I put a lot of thought into this, so I really wanna see what you guys think about it and how I can improve it, Im always open to suggestions. I see that I dont have a very solid dark resist but I dont know where to fit it in.

All the mons use very traditional sets.

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Heatran @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Flash Cannon

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Edit: Swapped out explosion on landorus because webs were super annoying

Second Edit: Changed a team member, coudn't add the little animated picture because I dont know how to sorry.

Last edited:

Cdijk16

Cdijk21 on PS!
is a Pre-Contributor
I wouldn't say I am a complete noob at teambuilding but im definately not top tier. That is why ive come here with a team that I will be using in a small pokemon tournament. It is OU Gen 7.

The team is built around an alakazam tapu lele core and tries to setup both of them with free switches and favourable matchups to get free hits weakening the enemy team untill alakazam can sweep.

:sm/tapu-lele:
Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Tapu Lele plays as a wall breaker with pretty decent special defence and an amazing special attack stat. A choice specs boosted, STAB boosted, Psychic terrain boosted, psychic is sure to deal a decent bit of damage to even pokemon that resist it. Although it doesnt resist dark types, it can definately take a hit from one unboosted and hit back and usually OHKO with a STAB moonblast. Its also got a decent speed tier which I think allows it to be a good abuser of a slow volt switch from the rotom. It swaps in when I dont want alakazam to take a hit since I need to keep it healthy if Its gonna sweep.

:sm/rotom-wash:
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Rotom wash was chosen as a slow volt switcher thats able to give alakazam or tapu lele a free switch in to wreak havoc. Its also able to cripple physical wallbreakers with will o wisp and makes up for the teams low defence. It forms a voltturn core with the lando and also checks many pokemon in the tier from my experience and has been very useful to me. It can swap in on predicted EQs and cripple them with a will o wisp and it has been able to deal with the many greninjas ive faced very well.

:sm/heatran:
Heatran @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Flash Cannon

Heatran is there specifically to eliminate common steel types that threaten alakazam, such as ferrothorn, scizor and celesteela or force them to switch out. If they swap out a stab magma storm can usually do a decent bit of damage softening them up for alakazam to sweep or it could setup stealth rocks, if garchomp failed. Its also used to bait in powerful ground types so they can be crippled early on by rotom wash or create momentum. It also covers rotoms grass and lando and garchomps ice weakness and can force them out.

:sm/garchomp:
Garchomp @ Rockium Z No longer a member
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Garchomp was chosen as a stealth rock setter because of its favourable match up against defoggers and offensive pressure. this produces By forcing switches it can launch powerful attacks for free further softening up the enemy team or get a free stealth rock setup. It can also be a decent wall breaker with a +2 Continental crush at its disposal. Its also able to take a little bit of damage. No longer part of team check next member

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

So I added this Tapu Bulu set to deal with greninjas, as they were really causing me trouble. It also forms a nice fire, water, grass defensive core with other mons. It also counters Kartana which also was really annoying me. I decided to remove garchomp because heatran was getting rocks up more by swapping into steel types and the garchomp was not doing much that my lando could not.

:sm/landorus-therian:
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Landorus is my speed control. It does a great job of creating momentum by predicting switches and uturning out and perhaps given lele or alakazam a free switch in. When it gets low and I see that there is no point keeping it alive is uses explosion which deals a good amount of damage. Its weakness to ice is covered by rotom wash and heatran so it is able to uturn out to them and create that momentum. Landorus also has a bulk ev spread because I was afraid that the team was lacking bulk. If it gets low and it won't be useful to keep around it can use Explosion to deal a large amount of damage to anything in the way.

:sm/alakazam-mega:
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

And of course alakazam is their to launch immensely powerful attacks, especially if it has psychic terrain up, and clean through the crippled and weakened mons or just take advantages of free switches. Its amazing speed tier allows it to beat out almost anything and even some scarfers and most of the mons that resist it are covered by the rest of the team. Alakazams magic guard also allows it to resist toxic damage so it is a good check against toxapex thanks to its decent special bulk and recovery.

I put a lot of thought into this, so I really wanna see what you guys think about it and how I can improve it, Im always open to suggestions. I see that I dont have a very solid dark resist but I dont know where to fit it in.

All the mons use very traditional sets.

Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Recover
- Shadow Ball

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

Heatran @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Flash Cannon

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Synthesis

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Edit: Swapped out explosion on landorus because webs were super annoying

Second Edit: Changed a team member, coudn't add the little animated picture because I dont know how to sorry.
Suggestions:
1. Run Steelium Z on Heatran. This lets you 0hko Mega Zam, Chomp and Tyranitar.
2. This team has a rough MU vs opposing Psychics, especially Mega Alakazam. This is because your only Psychic resist is an offensive Heatran. I suggest replacing Tapu Bulu with Assault Vest Magearna to help remedy this. It can also use Volt Switch to get your offensive pokemon in more easily.
3. Assault Vest Magearna also provides a sturdy dark resist to help with Greninja.
4. Run 4 Defense EVs on Heatran to live +2 Mega Mawile Sucker Punch from full.
5. Consider HP Fire on Landorus-Therian to help with SD Kartana.
The team is Hawlucha weak, but it's solid in most other MUs.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)