Media General Music Discussion Thread

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
I'm really conflicted on Joyner Lucas because on one hand he's a good rapper with a fast flow and strict cadence but on the other hand almost all of his good songs are either remixes and bites at other rappers see here or are that "psuedo-intellectual fuck you for doing drugs and also you rap trash" type of material that makes me despise rappers like hopsin.

dude's not really famous yet still disses / bites eminem / kendrick lamar / lil pump / migos / future / jcole (fuck jcole) / dre / etc. he got a lot of popularity from his "im not racist" video but i just can't bring myself to like his social commentary type rapping its like conscious rap but not really because its mostly fake deep. there are some real things being said but the vibe i get from him is mostly just that hopsin-esque "fake deep" "holier than thou" attitude. dude spits bars tho

what are your guys' thoughts on him? ill add some links to stuff hes done below

Gucci Gang remix
I'm Sorry
Jumanji (Feat Busta Rhymes) <---- was p disappointed with this one ngl only bc busta has like 30 seconds on it and his flow is almost identical to his verses on East Coast by Asap Rocky

I've listened to some of his work and can't say I'm a fan of the music or him as a person. I don't like the Social Commentary pandering side to his work.

I also don't like Hip-Hop/Rap when the artist focuses on putting down other musicians/cultures and not establishing what they stand for and standing by it. Rapping fast isn't a good enough cover for the fact that all he's doing is ranting about how people more famous than him do drugs / are political / ect.

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
I'm really conflicted on Joyner Lucas because on one hand he's a good rapper with a fast flow and strict cadence but on the other hand almost all of his good songs are either remixes and bites at other rappers see here or are that "psuedo-intellectual fuck you for doing drugs and also you rap trash" type of material that makes me despise rappers like hopsin.

dude's not really famous yet still disses / bites eminem / kendrick lamar / lil pump / migos / future / jcole (fuck jcole) / dre / etc. he got a lot of popularity from his "im not racist" video but i just can't bring myself to like his social commentary type rapping its like conscious rap but not really because its mostly fake deep. there are some real things being said but the vibe i get from him is mostly just that hopsin-esque "fake deep" "holier than thou" attitude. dude spits bars tho

Gucci Gang remix
I'm Sorry
Jumanji (Feat Busta Rhymes) <---- was p disappointed with this one ngl only bc busta has like 30 seconds on it and his flow is almost identical to his verses on East Coast by Asap Rocky

I've listened to some of his work and can't say I'm a fan of the music or him as a person. I don't like the Social Commentary pandering side to his work.

I also don't like Hip-Hop/Rap when the artist focuses on putting down other musicians/cultures and not establishing what they stand for and standing by it. Rapping fast isn't a good enough cover for the fact that all he's doing is ranting about how people more famous than him do drugs / are political / ect.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion

Gucci Gang remix
I'm Sorry
The remixes, bites, and the "shots" are part of his competitive factor, I'm speaking as someone who isn't a listener of his music but in tune with hip-hop. He's a huge supporter of Eminem being objective with that fact he thought Eminems BET "freestyle" was not very good, among other things, so the competitive factor is more about the respect than anything. You don't have to have a certain level of fame to address other artists in rap and he like everyone else is entitled to their opinion on a subject matter. The glorification of drug usage and its negative effects in the rap world and in general is a big topic of discussion these days, he isn't the only one addressing it looking down on those who glorify it.

Again I don't listen to the guy on a regular basis I've only seen and heard a couple of things. I'm not going to speak on the fake deep part considering a lot of reputable rappers, Kendrick as one example, get this same flack and I think it's a bit subjective and it's all perception based on the listener to me anyways. As far as your conflicting view on him you can either give it time as he develops more stuff or just not like his stuff. People seem to forget you can just not be into it.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
The remixes, bites, and the "shots" are part of his competitive factor, I'm speaking as someone who isn't a listener of his music but in tune with hip-hop. He's a huge supporter of Eminem being objective with that fact he thought Eminems BET "freestyle" was not very good, among other things, so the competitive factor is more about the respect than anything. You don't have to have a certain level of fame to address other artists in rap and he like everyone else is entitled to their opinion on a subject matter. The glorification of drug usage and its negative effects in the rap world and in general is a big topic of discussion these days, he isn't the only one addressing it looking down on those who glorify it.

Again I don't listen to the guy on a regular basis I've only seen and heard a couple of things. I'm not going to speak on the fake deep part considering a lot of reputable rappers, Kendrick as one example, get this same flack and I think it's a bit subjective and it's all perception based on the listener to me anyways. As far as your conflicting view on him you can either give it time as he develops more stuff or just not like his stuff. People seem to forget you can just not be into it.
i mean you certainly don't need to be super famous to diss track other more relevant rappers i just think its a little low-brow for someone to make their fame on biting others work (to be fair after a couple days of listening to him I dont find him as similar to Hopsin as I once thought).

I'll probably wait a bit on him and see if he develops into something more, been trying out his newest album (phone number album??) and its ok but I hope he can put out some cooler stuff. He definitely has the talent for it. Guess we'll see in a year or so if he really makes it big and produces banging tracks as I think he could end up being one of my mainstays along with asap and flatbush zombies but we'll see

On a side note I finally got hip to The Zombies 50 years after they released Odessey and Oracle lol. Its been something on my list of music / vinyl want collection for a while but I finally took the chance to sit down and truly go through the record song by song and I gotta say I absolutely love it. The songs have a sort of melancholic poetic effect to them, with Brief Candles / Changes / Friends of Mine being my favorites from the album.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
NEW BROCKHAMPTON OUT

INSERT MULTIPLE FIRE EMOJI HERE
I came to this thread specifically about the new album... pretty damn good. I think after my first listen I like Saturation II better, but damn, "Bleach" and "Alaska" might be some of my favorites that they've ever released.

Not to mention the whole Billy Star short film which was... emotional

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I came to this thread specifically about the new album... pretty damn good. I think after my first listen I like Saturation II better, but damn, "Bleach" and "Alaska" might be some of my favorites that they've ever released.

Not to mention the whole Billy Star short film which was... emotional
I'm so glad EVANIE from Billy Star was a part of TEAM.

BLEACH and BOOGIE are probably my favorite BROCKHAMPTON songs now. My feelings out of sat iii werent as high as the first time I listened to saturation ii, but I think I’ll like this more on repeat listens than I do sat ii. Most of SISTER/NATION and LIQUID didn’t click with me though.

Probably like an 8.5/10 for me

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh my god

Black Thought. Just wow. This is a must listen. His lyricism is incredible and he goes for 10 minutes dropping better rhymes than most of what I've heard in 2017. Holy cow

Awesome thread! Thanks to the new site functions I was able to find this one with ease B)

Don't know if this would decrease the lag, but I'll put mines in a hide tag. I'll start with something light for now B)

Haakunite how do you feel about organizing all the songs into categories? Like from from Genres/Artists/and so on. Sounds like a pain though haha B) Here are some more beats I had compiled for someone recently:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, does anyone have any reccs for lo-fi hip hop albums/artists? I've found myself listening to those "lo-fi hip hop radios" on youtube a lot more lately when feeling down or even just when I'm feeling tired, but I want to feel like I know more about what I'm listening to rather than just what the hosts of the live radios put on. Thanks in advance :)

eren

je suis d'ailleurs

how horrible..

#FUCKTHEGRAMMYS

E: and he won album of the year too......

this is just disgraceful

Last edited:
but yeah the grammys lost their credibility when macklemore's the heist won over good kid, m.a.a.d. city
or when 1989 won over to pimp a butterfly
or when my beautiful dark twisted fantasy wasn't even nominated
or when illmatic wasn't even nominated
or when a tribe called quest has never been nominated at all
They got that one right.

Deleted User 325563

Banned deucer.
I enjoy a large variety of music really, but lately all I listen to is Techno/Tech-House/Minimal and some other Techno variants because I'm trying to learn EDM music production.

My favorites really are Stephan Bodzin and Boris Brejcha, dropping here a few songs:

Stephan Bodzin Live Berlin:

Boris Brejcha Live France:

hope you enjoy!

I've got a question, perhaps someone can help me out. I'm looking for an artist/band. Their name is something with 'Enigma'. It sounds like downtempo lounge music. It has a modern feel to it. Though, it's not a 'new' artist. I think the music comes from around 1990. Anyone?

EDIT: Never mind, found it!

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
I was told of this gem a week ago and never checked them out until yesterday. As far as I know, their stuff never took off over here in west coast USA and was probably slightly dated at the time it came out. I personally think it aged very well when compared to other 70s funk fusion. I also learned that this music was the inspiration for most music in early SEGA games. This is also the inspiration for music in racing games everywhere due because their music was used in Japanese racing broadcasts at the time. Japanese users here are probably far more familiar with them than I am at the moment. Maybe there are some other gems they created that just never made it to the mainstream.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
New Pusha T album's out, it's short but very sweet. Great beats courtesy of Kanye (redeeming himself somewhat for wilding out lately), Push kills it as well.

On the topic of new music, the new Tropical Fuck Storm, the new band of Gareth Liddiard (The Drones), probably is my AOTYSF, really great rock, raw but smart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)