move 4: Flamethrower / Gunk Shot / Electroweb
item: Assault Vest
ability: Download
nature: Hasty
evs: 192 Atk / 92 SpA / 224 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

U-turn allows Genesect to be an effective pivot, dealing considerable damage while generating momentum. It can hit neutral foes surprisingly hard, especially after a Download boost. Iron Head is capable of dealing big damage to targets weak to it, such as Kyurem-B, Tapu Bulu, Tyranitar, and Tapu Lele, as well as to neutral foes such as Tapu Koko at +1. Ice Beam hits Landorus-T, Zygarde, Zapdos, and Amoonguss, all of which wouldn't really mind any of Genesect's other moves. Its last move is quite flexible, depending a lot on the team's composition. Flamethrower is Genesect's best bet against the likes of Mega Metagross, Ferrothorn, and Steel-types in general. Meanwhile, Gunk Shot deals reliable damage to Tapu Fini and guarantees a KO on Tapu Bulu and Tapu Koko. Electroweb provides quite a reliable form of speed control. Lastly, Extreme Speed lets Genesect pick off weakened targets at +1 and outright KO Deoxys-A with the correct Terrain management.

Set Details
========

Assault Vest doesn't restrict Genesect to one move like Choice items do and also provides a useful bonus to its Special Defense, which makes it a better switch-in to Kyurem-B, Tapu Lele, and Deoxys-A. The Speed investment alongside a Hasty nature lets Genesect get the jump on Tapu Lele and Kyurem-B, while the Special Attack EVs let it OHKO Landorus-T lacking Yache Berry with Ice Beam regardless of its Download boost. The rest of the EVs are allocated to its Attack stat to maximize U-turn and Iron Head damage. A Hasty nature is preferred to boost Speed, as Genesect can't afford to lower any other of its stats. A bulkier EV spread of 136 HP / 112 Atk / 36 SpD / 224 Spe with the same nature keeps the same Speed benchmark while maintaining enough Attack to OHKO Tapu Lele without a Download boost and achieving enough special bulk to avoid an OHKO from Kingdra's Hydro Pump-based Hydro Vortex in rain. Download gives Genesect boosts to either attacking stat, letting it step up its damage output considerably.

Usage Tips
========

Thanks to the added bulk provided by Assault Vest, Genesect can withstand some hits from Kyurem-B and Tapu Lele and offensively check them. That doesn't mean you should be reckless while using it; if it is your only method of dealing with faster threats like Deoxys-A, Genesect should be kept healthy to check them. It's usually ideal to hit foes with super effective moves, regardless of the boost granted by Download. If Genesect packs Electroweb, keep in mind it shouldn't really be used for damage, but rather for the Speed drop.

Team Options
========

Genesect can force Fire-types to come in, so the likes of Volcanion, Zygarde, and Tyranitar pair well with it to take advantage of them. Physical attackers appreciate the fact that they can come in via Genesect's U-turn, as the opponent's Intimidate user would likely already be on field to neutralize Genesect before it pivots into them. Methods of speed control are appreciated to make up for Genesect's only decent Speed. Tailwind from the likes of Zapdos and Suicune is an excellent method of doing so, but Icy Wind users such as Tapu Fini and Kyurem-B are also noteworthy. Finally, countermeasures against Trick Room are quite important considering how vulnerable Genesect is to it. The aforementioned Suicune can phaze Trick Room setters with Roar, whereas Taunt users like Tapu Koko and Fake Out users such as Incineroar also stand out.

Last edited by a moderator:

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
move 4: Flamethrower / Gunk Shot / Electroweb / Extreme Speed - this should be the slash order on the 4th move, and I'm unsure about including Electroweb here

Moves
========
  • Ice Beam also punishes Zygardes that expect it to be Choice locked.
  • The last slot is interchangeable *based on team composition*, use the fourth slot to stop-gap check your teams weaknesses
  • Gunk shot hitting Tapu Fini and guaranteeing KO's on Bulu and Koko

Set Details
========
  • It may seem stupid, but you should probably explain why you use a Hasty nature (doesnt weaken either attack stat and doesnt weaken the special defense after assault vest boosts it)
  • Forgive me if I'm wrong here, but I don't believe you need to explain the Ability when a Pokemon only gets one ability. You explain how to make use of Download in the next section
  • I think something should be said about the change of Genesect's role as an offensive pivot with Choice Scarf to a more defensive pivot on this set. They are used differently, as Scarf Genesect can usually serve better as a lead than its AV counterpart. With an AV set it is usually more worthwhile to control the mid-game, while Scarf can effectively be preserved for the late game to pick off weakened targets thanks to its extra speed.

Usage Tips
========
  • In addition to the point about bluffing Scarf, you can say that not switching moves immediately can be beneficial, unless its necessary or will for sure get you a kill that turn. My example is like, you U-Turn into a protect, and something like fini switches in. It may be the correct play to just U-Turn again to preserve information. Don't give my whole example, just say the short version of this point lol

Team Options
========
  • Break up this first point about Gengar/Incin/Manectric. Just say something along the lines of "Genesect threatens Dragon-types like Zygarde and Kyurem-B, so Genesect can support Pokemon like Mega Gengar and Incineroar, which appreciate the removal of those Dragon-types." I would make another point about how trapping can be beneficial with the constant pivoting and another stating how Intimidate Pokemon can help Genesect come in on Physical attackers too. You don't really say anything incorrect here, it's just long and hard to read lol
  • In the point about how Genesect helps physical attackers, I would leave out the part about Genesect's "initial lack of power" as it's not particularly weak, especially if it gets the boost, and it's not a Pokemon that sets up, so "initial power" could be a bit misleading. The part about avoiding Intimidate's on those physical attackers should be the main point.
  • Methods of Speed control are appreciated to make up for Genesect’s lackluster Speed. Tailwind from the likes of Zapdos and Suicune are excellent methods of doing so, but Icy Wind users such as Tapu Fini and Kyurem-B are also noteworthy.
  • Rephrase the end of the Trick Room part. Something like "The aforementioned Suicune can phase out Trick Room setters with Roar, and Fake Out and Taunt users like Incineroar can fill this role too."
Your skeletons are getting better and better! I'm going to talk to QC about a few things (mainly the slash order on move 4, as that can be largely up to player preference), so tag me when this is done and I'll maybe have one more note and I'll be able to stamp you for 1/2!

n10sit done! I just didn’t quite get what you were trying to say with the last point about the Trick Room measures bullet, if you could clear up what I did wrong when wording it is appreciate it. On another note, while yes mentioning abilities when they are the only the Pokémon has isn’t needed, but you can mention them if it has some use to the Pokémon, like it does with Genesect.

n10siT

Hoopa can do anything!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Alright, so for move 4 we decided to go with:

However, still mention Extreme Speed in the moves section - its a viable move, but we want to keep the slashed moves as short as we can. Also, the last trick room bit is fine, it was like 3 AM when I did your check and I guess I just can't read. You're good for 1/2!
n10-QC-small.gif

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
  • [Moves] Ice Beam isn't just for Lando-T and Zygarde, and the expectation of Choice locking is pretty unlikely to come into play since AV is quite common now. Mention that it also offers a decently strong hit on Zapdos / Amoonguss
  • [Set Details] That's not what the spread does, calc next time if you're not sure: 56 SpA Genesect Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Landorus-Therian: 384-452 (100.5 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    • Regardless, bump the SpA up to 92 so that this happens: 92 SpA Genesect Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Landorus-Therian: 384-452 (100.5 - 118.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    • That's how much bulk Landorus-T runs to avoid the OHKO from LO Tapu Koko, but you don't need to bother explaining that. Just say something about it OHKOing non-Yache Berry Landorus-T regardless of Download boost.
  • [Set Details] Just saying "Special Defense is more valuable" doesn't really cover it. As n10sit said, you should point out that all Genesect's other stats are important to its success.
  • [Set Details] Having an Assault Vest isn't really about Genesect being defensive as a pivot, it's more about allowing it to change up moves while taking advantage of the best possible item for something that needs four coverage moves. The added SpD boost is more of a bonus than a change in how you should play it.
  • [Set Details] If there's only one ability, you don't need to bother explaining *what* it does. The only time you mention it is to outline *how* it helps the set function. Your current sentence doesn't really add much of value to the analysis, so I'd cut it unless you have some other way you want to include it.
  • [Usage Tips] Assault Vest Genesect handles Mega Metagross even worse than Scarf Genesect - you still have no physical bulk and without a Scarf, you don't have the chance to hit it with Flamethrower before taking another hit.
  • [Usage Tips] I don't think this set should use U-turn as much as you're insinuating; if anything, Scarf Genesect uses it more often because it won't have the option to pivot the following turn if it selects any other move.
  • [Usage Tips] Honestly the explanation here is fairly lacking right now, you talk about it switching into threatening Pokemon and then about not letting its health get low because of those threatening Pokemon, but alone those two points don't really make sense. I'd probably format the paragraph more like this:
    • Assault Vest lets Genesect withstand hits from some Pokemon it offensively checks (Tapu Lele, Kyurem-B)
    • Don't let its health get too low if it's one of your team's only answers to a faster offensive threat (Deoxys-A)
    • Download provides a useful boost to at least one of its attacks, but take advantage of the ability to hit most common Pokemon super effectively regardless of which stat gets the boost
    • If using Electroweb, don't use it for damage - it's almost entirely for the utility of slowing down foes
  • [Team Options] Things that appreciate a good matchup against Dragon-types is... a really strange first point to make. Kommo-o destroys it with Flamethrower and Zygarde takes it out with Tectonic Rage, while both have the ability to boost Speed and be faster. Maybe mention this at the end but that should not be the first kind of teammate to think about.
  • [Team Options] Intimidate as its own sentence is something I'm trying to remove on most analyses - every single Doubles Pokemon appreciates Intimidate support, so it's really only worth pointing out in exceptional cases like Hoopa-U, Volcarona, and Mega Gardevoir.
  • [Team Options] Kommo-o isn't really a physical attacker, and the way you're phrasing the point about being able to U-turn on an incoming Incineroar is pretty misleading. Regardless, I wouldn't say that physical attackers in general are the best thing to be emphasizing here.
    • Instead, something like this: "Genesect typically forces the opponent to switch in their Fire-type as an answer, so Volcanion, Zygarde, Tyranitar, and other teammates that take advantage of Fire-types pair well. Physical attackers additionally appreciate that Incineroar's Intimidate will fall on Genesect before it pivots into them as opposed to after they're on the field."
  • [Team Options] Calling Genesect's Speed "lackluster" is a bit harsh, replace that with a nicer word like "decent".
  • [Team Options] Provide an example or two of Taunt users (Mega Gengar, Koko, or both)
This is overall a bit messy and I'm pretty nitpicky, so tag me when you've made the above changes and I'll give it another look.

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Something I just realized I forgot to mention: switch Iron Head and Ice Beam in the set and the order you discuss them in Moves, it's convention in DOU to put STABs before any other attacks.

talkingtree

large if factual
Go ahead and remove the parts about Download in Usage Tips, that should be mostly self-explanatory anyway. Aside from that, this looks good to send to GP! QC 2/2

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
amcheck, ignore the changes you don't like as usual :)
add remove (comments)
[SET]
name: Assault Vest
move 1: U-turn
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Ice Beam

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

U-turn is responsible to let allows Genesect to be such an effective pivot, dealing considerable damage while generating momentum. It can hit neutral foes surprisingly hard, especially after the ideal Download boost. Iron Head is a STAB move capable of dealing big damage to neutral foes such as Mega Gengar at +1 or targets weak to it, such as Kyurem-B, Tapu Bulu, Tyranitar, and Tapu Lele. Ice Beam hits Landorus-T, Zygarde, Zapdos, and Amoongus, all of which wouldn't really mind any of Genesect's other moves all that much. As for the last move, it's Its last move is quite interchangeable, depending a lot on the team's composition. Flamethrower is Genesect's best bet against the likes of Mega Metagross, Ferrothorn, and Steel-types in general. Meanwhile, Gunk Shot deals reliable damage to Tapu Fini while guaranteeing a KO on Tapu Bulu and Tapu Koko. Electroweb provides quite a reliable form of Speed control. And lastly Lastly, Extreme Speed lets it pick off weakened targets at +1 or and outright KO Deoxys-A with the correct terrain management.

Set Details
========

Assault Vest doesn't restrict Genesect to be locked into one move like Choice items do, while also providing a useful bonus to its Special Defense, which makes it a better switch-in into Kyurem-B, Tapu Lele, and Deoxys-A. The speed Speed investment alongside a Hasty nature lets allow Genesect to get the jump on Tapu Lele and Kyurem-B while the SpA Special Attack EVs let it OHKO Landorus-T lacking Yache Berry with Ice Beam, (RC). (add period) the The rest of the EVs are allocated to its Attack stat to maximize U-turn and Iron Head damage. Hasty is preferred to boost Speed as Genesect can't afford to lower any other of its stats, making Hasty the preffered ability to boost Speed. A bulkier EV spread of 136 HP / 112 Atk / 36 SpD / 224 Spe with the same nature keeps the same Speed benchmark while maintaining enough Attack to OHKO Tapu Lele without a Download boost and achieving enough Special Bulk special bulk to avoid an OHKO from Kingdra's Z-Hydro Pump in rain. Download gives Genesect boosts to either attacking stat, letting it step up its damage output considerably.

Usage Tips
========

Thanks to the added bulk provided by Assault Vest, Genesect can withstand some hits from Kyurem-B and Tapu Lele and thus offensively check them. Nonetheless, that That doesn't mean you should be reckless while using it, however, as if it is your only method of dealing with faster threats like Deoxys-A, for example, it should be kept healthy to check it them. It's usually ideal to hit foes with the Super Effective super effective moves, regardless of the boost granted by Download. If Genesect packs Electroweb, keep in mind it shouldn't really be used for damage, but mostly rather for the Speed drop.

Team Options
========

Mega Gengar can trap targets for Genesect and potentially easing up the Download game. (not entirely sure what you mean by this, so perhaps make it more detailed) Genesect can force Fire-type to come in as an answer, so the likes of Volcanion, Zygarde, and Tyranitar, (RC) pair well by taking advantage of Fire-types. Physical attackers appreciate the fact that they can come in via Genesect's U-turn, (AC) as the opponent's Intimidate user would liekly likely already be on field to neutralize Genesect before it pivots into them. Methods of Speed speed control are appreciated to make up for Genesect's decent Speed. Tailwind from the likes of Zapdos and Suicune are excellent methods of doing so, but Icy Wind users such as Tapu Fini and Kyurem-B are also noteworthy. Finally, countermeasures against Trick Room are quite important considering how vulnerable Genesect is to it. The aforementioned Suicune can phase Trick Room setters away with Roar, (AC) whereas Taunt users like Mega Gengar and Tapu Koko and Fake Out users, such as like Incineroar, (AC) also stand out.[/QUOTE]

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Estronic: add remove (comments)
tdp: add / fix remove (comments)
GP 1/2
[SET]
name: Assault Vest
move 1: U-turn
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Ice Beam

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

U-turn is responsible to let allows Genesect to be such an effective pivot, dealing considerable damage while generating momentum. It can hit neutral foes surprisingly hard, especially after the ideal a (implied + sounds awk) Download boost. At +1, Iron Head is a STAB move capable of dealing big damage to neutral foes such as Mega Gengar at +1 (if you meant for this to go just with neutral foes, then tbh put the weak targets at the front, like "to targets weak to it, such as blah blah, as well as to neutral foes such as Mega Gengar at +1") or targets weak to it, such as Kyurem-B, Tapu Bulu, Tyranitar, and Tapu Lele. Ice Beam hits Landorus-T, Zygarde, Zapdos, and Amoongus Amoonguss, all of which wouldn't really mind any of Genesect's other moves all that much. As for the last move, it's Its last move is quite interchangeable flexible, depending a lot on the team's composition. Flamethrower is Genesect's best bet against the likes of Mega Metagross, Ferrothorn, and Steel-types in general. Meanwhile, Gunk Shot deals reliable damage to Tapu Fini while guaranteeing a KO on Tapu Bulu and Tapu Koko. Electroweb provides quite a reliable form of speed control. And lastly Lastly, Extreme Speed lets it Genesect pick off weakened targets at +1 or and outright KO Deoxys-A with the correct Terrain management.

Set Details
========

Assault Vest doesn't restrict Genesect to be locked into to one move like Choice items do (RC) while also providing a useful bonus to its Special Defense, which makes it a better switch-in into Kyurem-B, Tapu Lele, and Deoxys-A. The speed Speed investment alongside a Hasty nature lets allow Genesect to (singular is correct, also can't tell why you'd change let -> allow to) get the jump on Tapu Lele and Kyurem-B, (AC) while the SpA Special Attack EVs let it OHKO Landorus-T lacking Yache Berry with Ice Beam, (RC). (add period) the The rest of the EVs are allocated to its Attack stat to maximize U-turn and Iron Head damage. A Hasty nature is preferred to boost Speed, (AC) as Genesect can't afford to lower any other of its stats, making Hasty the preffered ability to boost Speed. A bulkier EV spread of 136 HP / 112 Atk / 36 SpD / 224 Spe with the same nature keeps the same Speed benchmark while maintaining enough Attack to OHKO Tapu Lele without a Download boost and achieving enough Special Bulk special bulk to avoid an OHKO from Kingdra's Z-Hydro Pump-based Hydro Vortex (just Hydro Vortex if that's the only relevant base move) in rain. Download gives Genesect boosts to either attacking stat, letting it step up its damage output considerably.

Usage Tips
========

Thanks to the added bulk provided by Assault Vest, Genesect can withstand some hits from Kyurem-B and Tapu Lele and thus offensively check them. Nonetheless, that That doesn't mean you should be reckless while using it, however, (eh not rly needed) as if it is your only method of dealing with faster threats like Deoxys-A, for example, it should be kept healthy to check it them. It's usually ideal to hit foes with the Super Effective super effective moves, regardless of the boost granted by Download. If Genesect packs Electroweb, keep in mind it shouldn't really be used for damage, but mostly rather for the Speed drop.

Team Options
========

Mega Gengar can trap targets for Genesect and potentially easing up the Download game. (not entirely sure what you mean by this, so perhaps make it more detailed) (ye not sure either, also easing -> ease) Genesect can force Fire-types to come in as an answer, so the likes of Volcanion, Zygarde, and Tyranitar, (RC) pair well by taking with it to take advantage of Fire-types them. Physical attackers appreciate the fact that they can come in via Genesect's U-turn, (AC) as the opponent's Intimidate user would liekly likely already be on field to neutralize Genesect before it pivots into them. Methods of Speed speed control are appreciated to make up for Genesect's only decent Speed. Tailwind from the likes of Zapdos and Suicune are is an excellent methods method of doing so, but Icy Wind users such as Tapu Fini and Kyurem-B are also noteworthy. Finally, countermeasures against Trick Room are quite important considering how vulnerable Genesect is to it. The aforementioned Suicune can phase phaze Trick Room setters away with Roar, (AC) whereas Taunt users like Mega Gengar and Tapu Koko and Fake Out users, such as like Incineroar, (AC) (such as worked too)also stand out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)