NU Golbat

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]

Golbat has excellent bulk courtesy of Eviolite, access to reliable recovery, a good defensive typing, and immunity to Toxic. These factors combine to make Golbat one of the best walls in the tier, being capable of shutting down a large number of dangerous Pokemon, including Hitmonlee, Whimsicott, Sceptile, Vivillon, and Toxicroak, depending on its EV spread; if a move isn't super effective, it usually doesn't fear much from it, and it is still reasonably bulky after being hit by Knock Off. It has access to a number of useful utility moves in Defog, Taunt, Toxic, and Super Fang, with the last three allowing it to function as a passable stallbreaker. Access to Infiltrator and a 100% accurate Toxic allows it to take on a number of Pokemon that can otherwise cause bulky teams issues such as Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary. However, its Stealth Rock weakness combined with its inability to viably carry Black Sludge makes it easy to pressure and forces a reliance on Roost to remain healthy. Furthermore, while its bulk is good without Eviolite, Knock Off's omnipresence hinders its ability to handle a number of its users that it otherwise checks throughout the match and increases its vulnerability to both Pursuit and strong neutral hits. A number of Pokemon that it can otherwise check consistently, including Virizion and Lilligant, commonly carry Z-Moves that invalidate its ability to do so, and its typing leaves it at the mercy of a large number of very dangerous Pokemon like Sneasel and Rhydon. While consistent as a defensive Defog user due to its exceptional bulk, Golbat struggles to take on a lot of common Stealth Rock users like Rhydon, Piloswine, Aurorus, and Steelix.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Roost
move 2: Brave Bird
move 3: Defog
move 4: Taunt / Toxic
item: Eviolite
ability: Infiltrator
nature: Impish
evs: 240 HP / 172 Def / 96 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Roost is important for allowing Golbat to check Pokemon throughout the match and helps it alleviate issues caused by its Stealth Rock weakness and inability to hold Leftovers. Brave Bird ensures that Golbat is not total Taunt bait, capitalizing on its ability to check Fighting- and Grass-types by hitting them super effectively. Defog makes Golbat one of the handful of viable hazard removers in the tier, which is a very useful asset for Stealth Rock-weak partners to have while reducing the pressure defensive teams feel when faced with hazard stacking. Taunt is useful versus Pokemon like Steelix, preventing them from setting up Stealth Rock again immediately after Golbat clears it; it is also useful for preventing recovery and blocking the use of other utility moves, allowing Golbat to function as a passable stallbreaker alongside Toxic or Super Fang. Alternatively, Toxic allows Golbat to pressure defensive Pokemon and setup sweepers alike by putting them on a timer; it also takes advantage of Infiltrator to status Pokemon like Braviary through Substitute.

Super Fang can be used to allow Golbat to pressure Flying-resistant foes and other physically bulky Pokemon that try to switch in on Golbat, most notably Steelix. However, Golbat struggles to fit it around its other moves, often sacrificing overall utility in favor of improving its ability to stallbreak. U-turn is an option over Taunt and Toxic that alleviates Golbat's tendency to sap momentum by allowing it to scout out switches to Pokemon that check Golbat; it is notably useful when paired with Probopass due to it taking advantage of the free switch that U-turn generates while having the ability to trap and either weaken or remove Steelix. It also takes advantage of the switches Golbat forces against Pokemon that can't break through it. However, other utility moves are generally more useful and it is conducive to wearing Golbat down.

Set Details
========

The listed Speed investment outruns neutral-natured Samurott and Barbaracle, allowing Golbat to use Taunt versus them before they can use Swords Dance or Shell Smash, while 240 HP EVs minimize Stealth Rock damage. The remaining EVs are invested in Defense alongside an Impish nature to improve Golbat's ability to check physical attackers throughout the match. However, a specially defensive spread is an option to take on special attackers like Vivillon more consistently. Eviolite bolsters both of Golbat's defenses, giving it outstanding bulk that surpasses that of any other defensive Poison-type in the tier. Infiltrator is used because it allows Golbat to hit Pokemon like Braviary and Vivillon with Toxic or Brave Bird through their Substitutes; it also allows Golbat to OHKO Lilligant and Vivillon through Reflect, helping its team's matchup versus dual screens builds.

Usage Tips
========

Use Golbat to check strong physical attackers and Fighting-types like Hitmonlee and Sawk as well as other physical attackers that fail to 2HKO Golbat with their STAB attacks such as Braviary and Choice Scarf Emboar. That said, you should be wary of switching it into Choice Band or Expert Belt variants of Emboar, which can 2HKO Golbat with Flare Blitz and Wild Charge, respectively. Golbat can also keep some special attackers, such as Sceptile and Whimsicott, in check, although it needs to be wary of Choice Specs-boosted Hidden Power Ice from the former as well as Choice Specs-boosted Psychic from the latter. Aim to keep Golbat as healthy as possible at all times with Roost to ensure it is able to check things consistently; this is especially important considering its inability to viably carry Black Sludge. Golbat will commonly be forced to take Knock Off from Pokemon that it checks; if an alternative option is available, consider it carefully as opposed to mindlessly switching Golbat into Pokemon that commonly carry Knock Off. Aim to use Defog whenever you can; be wary of the ease with which a lot of defensive Stealth Rock users like Steelix and Rhydon can reset them versus Golbat, however, and consider more aggressive switches into teammates that can take advantage of this. Additionally, be careful when using Defog against teams that carry Braviary or Malamar to avoid giving them Attack or evasion boosts.

Team Options
========

Xatu helps keep Stealth Rock off of the field, particularly versus Steelix variants without heavy investment in Attack. Wish users like Aromatisse, Mega Audino, and Vaporeon are useful for their ability to help Golbat recover in situations where it does not have an opportunity to use Roost. Powerful wallbreakers like Emboar and Houndoom help alleviate Golbat's passivity. These appreciate Golbat's U-turn variant especially because it helps bring them in safely. VoltTurn users like Rotom-C, Rotom, Lanturn, and Scyther can help grab momentum when Golbat loses it. Pokemon that appreciate entry hazards being removed, such as Charizard, Sneasel, and Vivillon, appreciate the Defog utility that Golbat brings to the table.

Guzzlord and Incineroar defensively cover Psychic-types for Golbat while appreciating Golbat's ability to keep Fighting-types like Hitmonlee solidly in check. Sneasel and Houndoom are also excellent partners because they benefit from Fighting-types being kept in check, and they are additionally capable of trapping and removing dangerous Pokemon like Delphox and Mismagius with Pursuit and benefit from Golbat's ability to remove entry hazards with Defog. Steelix and Rhydon are useful thanks to their immunity to Electric-type attacks allowing them to soft check Choice item variants of Rotom-C and Vikavolt, their resistance to Rock-type attacks, and their ability to set up Stealth Rock. Steelix answers like Samurott and Delphox are useful due to Golbat's inability to threaten it; Probopass is also useful because it can trap and either weaken or eliminate said Pokemon with its ability Magnet Pull. Pokemon that struggle with Sceptile, such as Jellicent, Rhydon, Mismagius, and Slowking, make for excellent partners due to Golbat's ability to keep it staunchly in check.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Haze or Whirlwind can be used to combat setup sweepers, and Hypnosis can put targets to sleep. However, these are difficult to fit over Golbat's other moves, and Hypnosis's inaccuracy makes it undesirable most of the time. A set with Nasty Plot, Air Slash, Giga Drain, and Roost can be used to take on most common Stealth Rock users without sacrificing Golbat's defensive utility, but it doesn't like giving up Defog to do this.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Psychic-types**: Sigilyph and Xatu pose as an issue for Golbat with their Psychic-type STAB moves while fearing nothing from Toxic due to Magic Guard and Magic Bounce, respectively. Delphox and Slowbro also threaten Golbat with STAB moves, although they can be targeted by Toxic either upon switching in or when attacking a healthy Golbat. Medicham can't switch in on Brave Bird, but it deals very heavy damage with STAB Zen Headbutt. Mesprit deals very heavy damage with STAB Psychic.

**Rock- and Steel-types**: Rhydon takes very little from any attack other than Super Fang and either sets up Stealth Rock without fear or retaliates with STAB Stone Edge. Archeops can KO Golbat with STAB Stone Edge. Steelix takes very little from anything barring Super Fang, is immune to Toxic, and can set up Stealth Rock against Golbat indefinitely, although it needs to be careful of variants that carry Taunt or Super Fang. Barbaracle can't set up with total consistency versus Taunt variants of Golbat, but it threatens to KO it with either Stone Edge or Continental Crush.

**Ice- and Electric-types**: Sneasel can deal very heavy damage with Icicle Crash, especially if it or a teammate has used Knock Off on Golbat prior. Piloswine can set up Stealth Rock on non-Taunt Golbat and dents it with STAB Icicle Crash while pressuring Roost attempts with STAB Earthquake, although it needs to be wary of Toxic. Rotom and Rotom-C both force Golbat out with the threat of STAB Thunderbolt and use it for free momentum with Volt Switch. Froslass poses a threat to Golbat with its choice of Ice-type STAB attack and also threatens to set up Spikes on Golbat while having the option of using Taunt to prevent them from being removed by Defog.

**Entry Hazard Pressure**: Given that Golbat is weak to Stealth Rock and lacks the passive recovery provided by Black Sludge, any Pokemon that can keep Stealth Rock up against it will put it under immense pressure. This means that Pokemon like Steelix, Rhydon, and Piloswine can keep Golbat at bay throughout the match. This is made especially apparent with heavy offensive pressure from the range of Pokemon mentioned above, which can prevent it from even using Defog in the first place.

**Knock Off**: A number of Pokemon that Golbat tends to keep in check, including Hitmonlee and Sawk, commonly carry this move. This allows them to slash Golbat's bulk, which, while not crippling, makes it significantly easier to pressure later on in the match.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
QC can say differently, but I personally feel Toxic is way more valuable than U-turn and probably more valuable than Taunt sometimes. While Toxic can't touch Steelix it nails Rhydon switchins and still can gunk shit like bulky Water-types. I never used U-turn personally, but I think crippling mons with Toxic Taunt or Super Fang is way more valuable than the momentum U-turn may give.

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i just changed the slash order 'cause I agree with CM. Honestly though, I don't like U-turn bat much anyway personally because I find myself basically never clicking it anyway. Would QC be opposed to me bumping it down to moves/OO, or do you think it's good enough to be worth keeping slashed?

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I generally think you can hype up Golbats bulk more in the overview, it takes hits from the tiers most powerful wallbreakers incredibly well and very rarely fears a hit. Its bulk is still insane after losing eviolite too which i think is underplayed. I think Aurorus, Piloswine, and Qwilfish are worth a mention in the Overview as common hazard setters that Golbat struggles against as well (the former due to typing and the latter due to a faster taunt).

Defog should not be slashed with anything, it's the main reason you're using Golbat in the first place.

U-turn should be last slash on all sets, although I'd be ok with it in moves since I think its kinda bad.

The Speed EVs are also important for preventing lead Omastar from setting hazards / shell smash.

You have a Mega-Steelix mention in Team Options on the specially defensive set.

In TO mention that those wallbreakers really like the slow u-turns golbat can provide, if using.

Nasty Plot set is good enough for an OO mention, only needs air slash and giga drain to beat common rockers, maintains defensive presence but sucks to give up defog.

You have a Tyrantrum mention in C&C.

1 Goatbat / 3

theres a tyrantrum mention in the overview still

i dont really use golbat enough so im not sure if SpDef and Phys Def each need their own set but ill let resident golbat user Hootie comment on it

Yeah two sets is unnecessary. Just make phys def the main spread and leave spdef in set details. Will take a full look later.

Martin

There's a mention of Aurora Veil in the Set Details in the line about Lilligant.
Infiltrator ignores Aurora Veil (hence why I mentioned it; I've used Lilligant alongside veil before, so I felt it was worth mentioning), and I can't find any announcement about it being banned in the forum.

erisia

Innovative new design!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Give examples of special attackers Golbat can check in the set details (Sceptile, Whimsicott, etc). Maybe mention a relevant physical attacker that can't 2HKO you with that specific EV spread. I don't think you need to mention Inner Focus in set details at all. You could also bring up Braviary and Malamar in usage tips as you really don't want to Defog if they're likely to switch in and pick up a boost.

QC 2/3

Martin

I completely forgot about that check 'cause I checked the alert on my phone in a place on the way back from my holiday lol. I've implemented it now and I'll get this written ASAP.

SPACE FORCE meeps

LAW & ORDER!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
remove meloetta mentions

"while also being neutered by Qwilfish's faster Taunt." - i don't think this should be mentioned since qwilfish usually aren't faster than golbat

change ev spread to 240 hp / 172 def / 92 speed impish so golbat outspeeds samurott and barbaracle and can taunt them so they don't setup, while still avoiding 2hko from scarf emboar without rocks up

"although it needs to be wary of Choice Specs Hidden Power Ice and Life Orb Rock Slide from the former as well as Choice Specs Psychic from the latter." - remove mention of LO rock slide, i've never seen it and it doesn't even 2hko golbat with rocks up

"Golbat will commonly be forced to take Knock Off from Pokemon that it checks" - specify hitmonlee, machamp, and sawk here

also mention being able to counter garb and prevent it from keeping up hazards in usage tips

"Rapid Spin and Defog users like Cryogonal, Hitmontop and Skuntank can free up a moveslot for Golbat to run something else or can form double Defog cores on more defensive teams" - i really don't like this as a the first line in team options, especially because i don't even think it's worth a mention. cryo can't take advantage of having an extra moveslot, and hitmontop and skuntank aren't even worth using without hazard removal. i'd just remove this line completely.

"Specially bulky Pokemon like Slowking and Guzzlord are useful for their ability to alleviate issues caused by Golbat's uninvested special bulk. Pokemon like Miltank, Sneasel, and Incineroar appreciate Golbat's ability to keep Fighting-types like Hitmonlee in check. Pokemon which resist or are immune to Rock- or Psychic-type attacks, such as Steelix, Slowbro, Guzzlord, and Incineroar, help patch up Golbat's weakness to these Pokemon. Pursuit users like Drapion and Sneasel can help remove dangerous Psychic-types like Delphox as well as certain threats to bulkier teams such as Nasty Plot Mismagius. Steelix answers like Samurott and Delphox are useful due to Golbat's inability to threaten it; Probopass is also useful due to its ability to trap and either weaken or eliminate said Pokemon. Pokemon that appreciate Sceptile being kept in check, such as Jellicent, Rhydon, Mismagius and Slowking, make for excellent partners due to Golbat's ability to keep it in check." - the flow of these paragraph seems a bit iffy. i'd think it would be be better to discuss specific partners and how they benefit from being paired with golbat, because you mention a lot of pokemon multiple times, and there are some pokemon that i think deserve more emphasis on possible partners. e.g. "sneasel enjoys golbat's ability to keep fighting-types in check, while also threatening pokemon that may harm golbat such as delphox and mismagius with pursuit". another example is that steelix and rhydon can be feasibly grouped together, both of which have electric immunities and can setup rocks. also make sure you don't mention miltank.

"**Psychic-types**: Sigilyph and Xatu pose as an issue for Golbat with their Psychic-type STAB moves, while fearing nothing from Toxic. Delphox also threatens Golbat for the same reason, although it can be targeted by Toxic either as it switches in or when attacking a healthy Golbat. Medicham can't switch in on Brave Bird, but it deals very heavy damage with STAB Zen Headbutt. Mesprit deals very heavy damage with STAB Psychic." - you mention delphox multiple times outside of c&c but not here, make sure you do so here. mention slowbro too and also discuss how it doesn't like toxic from golbat

"**Rock- and Steel-types**: Rhydon takes very little from any attack other than Super Fang and either sets up Stealth Rock without fear or retaliates with STAB Stone Edge. Archeops can KO Golbat with STAB Stone Edge. Steelix takes very little from anything barring Super Fang and is immune to Toxic and can set up Stealth Rock against Golbat indefinitely, although it needs to be careful of Taunt variants." - mention barbaracle here

"**Ice- and Electric-types**: Sneasel can deal very heavy damage with Icicle Crash, especially if it or a teammate has used Knock Off on Golbat prior. Piloswine can set up Stealth Rock on non-Taunt Golbat and dents it with STAB Icicle Crash while pressuring Roost attempts with STAB Earthquake, although it needs to be wary of Toxic. Rotom and Rotom-C both force Golbat out with the threat of STAB Thunderbolt and use it for free momentum with Volt Switch." - both vanilluxe and vikavolt deserve explicit mentions here

"**Entry hazard pressure**: Given the fact that Golbat is weak to Stealth Rock and lacks the passive recovery provided by Black Sludge, any Pokemon that can keep Stealth Rock up against it will put it under immense pressure. This means that Pokemon like the aforementioned Steelix, Rhydon, and Piloswine can keep Golbat under heavy pressure throughout the match." - talk about how offensive pressure from some aforementioned checks/counters that they can continuously force golbat to take rocks damage without being able to roost or defog

"**Knock Off**: A number of Pokemon that Golbat commonly keeps in check, including Hitmonlee and Sawk, commonly carry this move. This allows them to slash Golbat's bulk to two thirds of what it is with Eviolite intact, which, while not crippling, makes it significantly easier to pressure later on using moves like the latter's Zen Headbutt." - mention machamp and drapion too

Martin let me know when these changes are implemented

Martin

remove meloetta mentions

"while also being neutered by Qwilfish's faster Taunt." - i don't think this should be mentioned since qwilfish usually aren't faster than golbat

change ev spread to 240 hp / 172 def / 92 speed impish so golbat outspeeds samurott and barbaracle and can taunt them so they don't setup, while still avoiding 2hko from scarf emboar without rocks up

"although it needs to be wary of Choice Specs Hidden Power Ice and Life Orb Rock Slide from the former as well as Choice Specs Psychic from the latter." - remove mention of LO rock slide, i've never seen it and it doesn't even 2hko golbat with rocks up

"Golbat will commonly be forced to take Knock Off from Pokemon that it checks" - specify hitmonlee, machamp, and sawk here

also mention being able to counter garb and prevent it from keeping up hazards in usage tips

"Rapid Spin and Defog users like Cryogonal, Hitmontop and Skuntank can free up a moveslot for Golbat to run something else or can form double Defog cores on more defensive teams" - i really don't like this as a the first line in team options, especially because i don't even think it's worth a mention. cryo can't take advantage of having an extra moveslot, and hitmontop and skuntank aren't even worth using without hazard removal. i'd just remove this line completely.

"Specially bulky Pokemon like Slowking and Guzzlord are useful for their ability to alleviate issues caused by Golbat's uninvested special bulk. Pokemon like Miltank, Sneasel, and Incineroar appreciate Golbat's ability to keep Fighting-types like Hitmonlee in check. Pokemon which resist or are immune to Rock- or Psychic-type attacks, such as Steelix, Slowbro, Guzzlord, and Incineroar, help patch up Golbat's weakness to these Pokemon. Pursuit users like Drapion and Sneasel can help remove dangerous Psychic-types like Delphox as well as certain threats to bulkier teams such as Nasty Plot Mismagius. Steelix answers like Samurott and Delphox are useful due to Golbat's inability to threaten it; Probopass is also useful due to its ability to trap and either weaken or eliminate said Pokemon. Pokemon that appreciate Sceptile being kept in check, such as Jellicent, Rhydon, Mismagius and Slowking, make for excellent partners due to Golbat's ability to keep it in check." - the flow of these paragraph seems a bit iffy. i'd think it would be be better to discuss specific partners and how they benefit from being paired with golbat, because you mention a lot of pokemon multiple times, and there are some pokemon that i think deserve more emphasis on possible partners. e.g. "sneasel enjoys golbat's ability to keep fighting-types in check, while also threatening pokemon that may harm golbat such as delphox and mismagius with pursuit". another example is that steelix and rhydon can be feasibly grouped together, both of which have electric immunities and can setup rocks. also make sure you don't mention miltank.

"**Psychic-types**: Sigilyph and Xatu pose as an issue for Golbat with their Psychic-type STAB moves, while fearing nothing from Toxic. Delphox also threatens Golbat for the same reason, although it can be targeted by Toxic either as it switches in or when attacking a healthy Golbat. Medicham can't switch in on Brave Bird, but it deals very heavy damage with STAB Zen Headbutt. Mesprit deals very heavy damage with STAB Psychic." - you mention delphox multiple times outside of c&c but not here, make sure you do so here. mention slowbro too and also discuss how it doesn't like toxic from golbat

"**Rock- and Steel-types**: Rhydon takes very little from any attack other than Super Fang and either sets up Stealth Rock without fear or retaliates with STAB Stone Edge. Archeops can KO Golbat with STAB Stone Edge. Steelix takes very little from anything barring Super Fang and is immune to Toxic and can set up Stealth Rock against Golbat indefinitely, although it needs to be careful of Taunt variants." - mention barbaracle here

"**Ice- and Electric-types**: Sneasel can deal very heavy damage with Icicle Crash, especially if it or a teammate has used Knock Off on Golbat prior. Piloswine can set up Stealth Rock on non-Taunt Golbat and dents it with STAB Icicle Crash while pressuring Roost attempts with STAB Earthquake, although it needs to be wary of Toxic. Rotom and Rotom-C both force Golbat out with the threat of STAB Thunderbolt and use it for free momentum with Volt Switch." - both vanilluxe and vikavolt deserve explicit mentions here

"**Entry hazard pressure**: Given the fact that Golbat is weak to Stealth Rock and lacks the passive recovery provided by Black Sludge, any Pokemon that can keep Stealth Rock up against it will put it under immense pressure. This means that Pokemon like the aforementioned Steelix, Rhydon, and Piloswine can keep Golbat under heavy pressure throughout the match." - talk about how offensive pressure from some aforementioned checks/counters that they can continuously force golbat to take rocks damage without being able to roost or defog

"**Knock Off**: A number of Pokemon that Golbat commonly keeps in check, including Hitmonlee and Sawk, commonly carry this move. This allows them to slash Golbat's bulk to two thirds of what it is with Eviolite intact, which, while not crippling, makes it significantly easier to pressure later on using moves like the latter's Zen Headbutt." - mention machamp and drapion too

Martin let me know when these changes are implemented
I've implemented this.

The Delphox line was already in the C&C point, although I understand how you missed it; you also misinterpreted the bit re: Cryogonal and co (I meant allowing Golbat to run another move in the Defog slot), but I've removed it anyway 'cause it was poorly worded and in hindsight it's very rare that you will make use of it anyway, and it was just kinda a remnant from the WIP stage that I'd forgotten to delete regardless.

SPACE FORCE meeps

LAW & ORDER!
is a Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
sorry, read that one line too quickly.

remove drapion and machamp mentions and add froslass to c&c subsection electric- and ice-types

3/3

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]

Golbat has excellent bulk courtesy of Eviolite, access to reliable recovery, a good defensive typing, and immunity to Toxic. These factors combine to make Golbat one of the best walls in the tier, being capable of shutting down a large number of dangerous Pokemon including Hitmonlee, Whimsicott, Sceptile, Vivillon, Toxicroak, and Tauros, depending on its EV spread; if a move isn't super effective it usually doesn't fear much from it, and it is still reasonably bulky after being hit by Knock Off. It has access to a number of useful utility moves in Defog, Taunt, Toxic, and Super Fang, with the last three allowing it to function as a passable stallbreaker. Access to Infiltrator, in conjunction with a 100% accurate Toxic thanks to Golbat's typing, allows it to take on a number of Pokemon that can otherwise cause bulky teams issues, such as Substitute + Bulk Up Braviary. However, its Stealth Rock weakness combined with its inability to viably carry Black Sludge makes it easy to pressure and forces a reliance on Roost to remain healthy. Furthermore, while its bulk is good without Eviolite, Knock Off's omnipresence hinders its ability to handle a number of its users that it otherwise checks throughout the match and increases its vulnerability to both Pursuit and strong neutral hits. A number of Pokemon that which it can otherwise check consistently, including Virizion and Lilligant, commonly carry Z-Moves that invalidate its ability to do so consistently, and Golbat's typing leaves it at the mercy of a large number of very dangerous Pokemon like Sneasel and Rhydon. While consistent as a defensive Defog user due to its exceptional bulk, Golbat struggles to take on a lot of common Stealth Rock users like Rhydon, Piloswine, Aurorus, and Steelix.

[SET]
name: Defensive
move 1: Roost
move 2: Brave Bird
move 3: Defog
move 4: Taunt / Toxic
item: Eviolite
ability: Infiltrator
nature: Impish
evs: 240 HP / 172 Def / 96 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Roost is important to allow Golbat to check Pokemon throughout the match and helps it alleviate issues caused by its Stealth Rock weakness and inability to hold Leftovers. Brave Bird is important to ensure that Golbat is not total Taunt bait, capitalizing on its ability to check Fighting-types by hitting them super effectively. Defog makes Golbat one of the handful of viable hazard removers in the tier, which is a very useful asset for Stealth Rock-weak partners to have while reducing the pressure defensive teams feel when faced up against Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes. Taunt is useful versus Pokemon like Steelix, preventing them from due to its ability to prevent it setting up Stealth Rock again immediately after Golbat clears it; it is also useful for preventing recovery and blocking the use of other utility moves, allowing Golbat to function as a passable stallbreaker alongside Toxic or Super Fang. Alternatively, Toxic allows Golbat to pressure defensive Pokemon and setup sweepers alike by putting them on a timer; it also takes advantage of Infiltrator to status Pokemon like Braviary through Substitute.

Super Fang can be used to allow Golbat to dent Flying-resistant foes Flying-type resistances and other physically bulky Pokemon that try to switch in on Golbat, most notably allowing it to pressure Steelix. However, Golbat struggles to fit it around its other moves, often sacrificing overall utility in favor of improving its ability to stallbreak. U-turn is an option over Taunt and Toxic that alleviates Golbat's tendency to sap momentum by allowing it to scout out switches to Pokemon that check Golbat; it is notably useful when paired with Probopass due to it taking advantage of the free switch that U-turn generates while having the ability to trap and either weaken or remove Steelix. It also takes advantage of the switches Golbat forces against Pokemon that can't break through it. However, other utility moves are generally more useful and it is conducive to wearing Golbat down.

Set Details
========

The listed Speed investment outruns neutral-natured Samurott and Barbaracle, allowing it to use Taunt versus them before they can use Swords Dance or Shell Smash, respectively, while 240 HP EVs minimize Stealth Rock damage. The remaining EVs are invested in Defense alongside an Impish nature to improve Golbat's ability to check physical attackers throughout the match. However, a specially defensive spread is also an option to take on special attackers like Vivillon more consistently. Eviolite bolsters both of Golbat's defenses, giving it outstanding bulk that which surpasses that of any other defensive Poison-type in the tier. Infiltrator is used because it allows Golbat to hit Pokemon like Braviary and Vivillon with Toxic or Brave Bird, respectively, through their Substitutes; it also allows Golbat to OHKO Lilligant and Vivillon through Reflect, helping its team's matchup versus dual screens builds.

Usage Tips
========

Use Golbat to check strong physical attackers and Fighting-types like Hitmonlee and Sawk as well as other physical attackers that fail to 2HKO Golbat from full with their STAB attacks, such as Braviary and Choice Scarf Emboar. That said, you should be wary of switching into Choice Band or Expert Belt variants of Emboar, which can 2HKO Golbat with Flare Blitz or Wild Charge, respectively. Golbat can also keep some special attackers, such as Sceptile and Whimsicott, in check, although it needs to be wary of Choice Specs-boosted Hidden Power Ice from the former as well as Choice Specs-boosted Psychic from the latter. Aim to keep Golbat as healthy as possible at all times with Roost to ensure it is able to check things consistently. This is especially important considering its inability to viably carry Black Sludge. Golbat will commonly be forced to take Knock Off from Pokemon that it checks; if an alternative option is available, consider it carefully as opposed to mindlessly switching in Golbat into Pokemon that commonly carry Knock Off. Aim to use Defog whenever you can; be wary of the ease to which a lot of defensive Stealth Rock users like Steelix and Rhydon can reset re-lay them versus Golbat, however, and consider more aggressive plays into teammates that can take advantage of this. Additionally, be careful when using it against teams that carry Braviary and Malamar to avoid giving them Attack or evasion boosts, respectively.

Team Options
========

Xatu is useful to help keep Stealth Rock off of the field, being particularly useful versus Steelix variants without heavy investment in Attack. Wish users like Aromatisse and Vaporeon are useful for their ability to help Golbat recover from situations when it does not have an opportunity to use Roost. Powerful wallbreakers like Emboar and Houndoom are useful to help alleviate Golbat's passivity. These appreciate U-turn variants especially because it helps to bring them in safely. VoltTurn users like Rotom-C, Rotom, Lanturn, and Scyther can help grab momentum when Golbat loses it. Pokemon that appreciate entry hazards being removed, such as Charizard, Sneasel, and Vivillon, appreciate the Defog utility that it brings to the table.

(you say "due to" five times in this paragraph, change some)
Guzzlord and Incineroar defensively cover Psychic-types for Golbat while, in turn, appreciating Golbat's ability to keep Fighting-types like Hitmonlee solidly in check. Sneasel and Houndoom are also excellent partners due to also benefiting from Fighting-types being kept in check, and in addition they are capable of trapping and removing dangerous Pokemon like Delphox and Mismagius with Pursuit and benefit from Golbat's ability to remove entry hazards with Defog. Steelix and Rhydon are useful due to their immunity to Electric-type attacks, allowing them to soft check Choice item variants of Rotom-C and Vikavolt, as well as their resistance to Rock-type attacks and ability to set up Stealth Rock. Steelix answers like Samurott and Delphox are useful due to Golbat's inability to threaten it; Probopass is also useful due to its ability to trap and either weaken or eliminate said Pokemon. Pokemon that struggle with Sceptile, such as Jellicent, Rhydon, Mismagius, and Slowking, make for excellent partners due to Golbat's ability to keep it staunchly in check.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Haze or Whirlwind can be used to combat setup sweepers, and Hypnosis is an option can put targets to sleep. However, these are difficult to fit around Golbat's other moves, and Hypnosis's inaccuracy makes it undesirable most of the time. A set with Nasty Plot, Air Slash, Giga Drain, and Roost can be used to take on most common Stealth Rock users without sacrificing Golbat's defensive utility, but it doesn't like giving up Defog to do this.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Psychic-types**: Sigilyph and Xatu pose as an issue for Golbat with their Psychic-type STAB moves while fearing nothing from Toxic. Delphox and Slowbro also threaten Golbat for the same reason, although they can be targeted by Toxic either upon switching in or when attacking a healthy Golbat. Medicham can't switch in on Brave Bird, but it deals very heavy damage with STAB Zen Headbutt. Mesprit deals very heavy damage with STAB Psychic.

**Rock- and Steel-types**: Rhydon takes very little from any attack other than Super Fang and either sets up Stealth Rock without fear or retaliates with STAB Stone Edge. Archeops can KO Golbat with STAB Stone Edge. Steelix takes very little from anything barring Super Fang and is immune to Toxic and can set up Stealth Rock against Golbat indefinitely, although it needs to be careful of Taunt variants. Barbaracle can't set up with total consistency versus Taunt variants of Golbat, but it threatens to KO it with either Stone Edge or Continental Crush.

**Ice- and Electric-types**: Sneasel can deal very heavy damage with Icicle Crash, especially if it or a teammate has used Knock Off on Golbat prior. Piloswine can set up Stealth Rock on non-Taunt Golbat and dents it with STAB Icicle Crash while pressuring Roost attempts with STAB Earthquake, although it needs to be wary of Toxic. Rotom and Rotom-C both force Golbat out with the threat of STAB Thunderbolt and use it for free momentum with Volt Switch. Frosslass poses a threat to Golbat with its choice of Ice-type STAB attack and also threatens to set up Spikes on Golbat while having the option of using Taunt to prevent them from being removed by Defog.

**Entry Hazard Pressure**: Given the fact that Golbat is weak to Stealth Rock and lacks the passive recovery provided by Black Sludge, any Pokemon that can keep Stealth Rock up against it will put it under immense pressure. This means that Pokemon like the aforementioned Steelix, Rhydon, and Piloswine can keep Golbat under heavy pressure throughout the match. This is made especially apparent with heavy offensive pressure from the range of Pokemon mentioned above, which can prevent it from even using Defog in the first place.

**Knock Off**: A number of Pokemon that Golbat commonly keeps in check, including Hitmonlee and Sawk, commonly carry this move. This allows them to slash Golbat's bulk to two-thirds of what it is with Eviolite intact, which, while not crippling, makes it significantly easier to pressure later on in the match.

Martin

Completely forgot about this 'cause I opened the alert when I was on my phone. Implemented this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)