Monotype goosebumps [500 Post RMT]

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

art by Moosical aka Torkool
Introduction
Hi my name is Vid and I'm a long time Monotype player. This post will be my 500th post, so I wanted to commemorate this occasion by sharing team with everyone that representative of who I am as a Monotype player. To preface the RMT, every generation of Monotype I've played BW, XY, ORAS, and SM, I have always loved to use Flying teams just because of how different Flying-type teams are every generation. The team was one of earliest teams I made in SM and the main goal was to make a team with new strategies and old ones as well. I choose the name goosebumps because of nostalgia factor that building this Flying team gave me along with trying new Pokemon and sets that I had never even considered made the metagame extremely enjoyable to play. Here is a look at my Flying RMT goosebumps.​

I started with Landorus-T because I wanted to try it out because it seemed like it would be a great Z Move user. At the start I switched sets between Fly Z and Stone Edge Z, but I then realized that Stone Edge Z was more useful because it because of the ability to break Skarmory.

I then decided to go with Mega Charizard Y as the primary wallbreaker to break physical walls that wall Landorus-T. It also provides a check to both Water- and Ice-types that threaten Landorus-T.

I then added Skarmory as a Stealth Rocker, while also being primary physical wall. Skarmory was also chosen because it can phaze set up sweepers.

I needed a reliable switch in to Electric-type attacks so I decided to go with Zapdos. Originally I decided to go with Defog Zapdos, but I then realized I had trouble against bulky threats such as Porygon-2 and Torkoal so I then decided to change it to Substitute + Toxic set.
I then decided to use Mantine as a Defoger because in SM it gained Roost, which makes it a potent wall. I also choose it because of its ability to counter most Greninja variants outside of super rare Rock Slide. It also is another Pokemon to stop set up sweepers with Haze.

I then decided to go with Choice Scarf Togekiss because people were trying new things so Dragon-, Fighting-, and Dark-type teams were somewhat common since there wasn't an established metagame yet.

Dark, Fighting, and Dragon teams began to sharply decline, so I decided to add Dragonite because of the surge of Tapu Koko in the metagame as with Extreme Speed it could revenge kill it. It also could take some powerful hits at full health because of Multiscale​
In-depth Look

Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
The original idea was to build around Landorus-T because of how uncommon it was during ORAS and with Z Moves giving it a new niche. I decided to go with Double Dance Landorus-T because of its ability to late-game sweep. I choose Rockium Z to allow Landorus-T to to use Continental Crush. Rock Polish boosts Landorus-T's speed allowing it to outspeed almost the entire metagame. Swords Dance is used to boost Landorus-T's Attack stat allowing it to wallbreak early-game, while also giving it necessary power to sweep late-game. Stone Edge is used to hit Flying-types such as Zapdos and Mega Charizard Y, while Continental Crush allows Landorus-T to KO physical walls such as Skarmory and Gliscor. The EVs are fairly simple Maximum Speed makes it so Landorus-T is as fast as possible. An Adamant nature along with maximum Attack investment makes it so Landorus-T is as strong as possible Adamant nature is choosen over Jolly because it allows Landorus-T to break past Skarmory with Continental Crush. Landorus-T serves as wincon, while also acting as a soft check to certain physical because of Intimidate lowering foes attack.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
One thing I needed to help Landorus-T when sweeping was a powerful wallbreaker, so I decided to go with Mega Charizard Y. Mega Charizard Y is the special wallbreaker on the team because of high Special Attack stat and Drought boosting its Fire-type attacks. Fire Blast is primary attack that allows Mega Charizard-Y to hit almost everything that doesn't resist it. Solarbeam gives it an option against some of Water-types and Ground-types such as Swampert and Gastrodon. Focus Blast is additional coverage for Heatran, which would otherwise wall Mega Charizard Y. Since Mega Charizard Y is weak to Stealth Rock, so Roost is used to give Mega Charizard Y sustainability. The EVs are fairly standard; Maximum Speed investment along with a Timid Nature makes it so Mega Charizard-Y being able to speed tie with crowed base 100 speed tier. Maximum Special Attack investment allows Mega Charizard Y to hit as hard as possible.

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Brave Bird
- Roost
Since I wasn't going to go a hyper offensive flying team I needed a physical wall and a Stealth Rocker. Skarmory serves as primary physical wall for the team being able to wall most powerful physical attackers. Stealth Rock allows Mega Charizard-Y have an easier time wallbreaking, while also making it much easier for Landorus-T to sweep late-game. Brave Bird is chosen over Iron Head because the team doesn't have a problem breaking bulky Fairy-types. Brave Bird allows Skarmory to revenge kill Mega Medicham, which is a huge threat to this team. Roost allows Skarmory to recover its HP. Whilriwind is used to phaze set up sweepers such as Dragon Dance Salamence and Belly Drum Azumarill. Maximum HP along with Maximum Defense ensures that Skarmory is as bulky as possible. Sturdy is chosen ability because it allows Skarmory to live any hit at full health, which means it can attack as an emergency check to set up sweepers. Leftovers is chosen to let Skarmory regain a bit of its health each turn, but Rocky Helmet can also be used to punish physical attackers.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 180 SpD / 76 Spe
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Substitute
- Toxic
I noticed I didn't have any reliable Electric-type switch ins, so I decided to go with Zapdos because of its ability to punish slower teams with Substitute + Toxic set. Discharge is primary attack with a nice chance to paralyze fast foes such as Gengar and Mega Charizard Y. Roost allows Zapdos to recover its health giving it sustainability. Toxic is used to badly Poison foes crippling walls such as Porygon2, Zapdos, and Chansey. Substitute allows Zapdos to avoid status, while also allowing it to rack up Toxic damage against slower Pokemon. Leftovers is chosen item as it allows Zapdos to recover a bit of its health each turn. 0 Attack IVs ensures that Zapdos takes least amount of damage possible from Foul Play. The speed is used to outspeed timid Heatran, which would typically beat Zapdos one-on-one with Magma Storm. The rest of EVs are centered around making Zapdos as specially bulky as possible. Maxininuim HP is used over 248 because with 252 HP EVs, Zapdos maximizes its Leftovers recovery. Pressure is choosen over Static because it allows Zapdos to stall PP with ease allowing it to beat Choice users.

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze
I then noticed I needed a reliable Defogger because I wasn't using Defog on Zapdos, so I decided to use Mantine as a secondary special wall. Scald is typically used to fish for burns so that Mantine isn't set up bait for physical attackers. Defog allows Mantine to remove hazards and screens that threaten every Flying-type team. Roost allows Mantine to recover half of its HP giving it some sustainability. Haze is used as a secondary Belly Drum Azumarill check and a primary Volcarona check preventing them from sweeping with ease. Water Absorb allows Mantine to safely switch in to any Water-type attack, while recovering a quarter of its health. 0 Attack IVs ensures that Mantine takes least amount of damage possible from Foul Play. The EVs give Mantine some physical bulk it desperately needs, while also maintaining its special bulk. Leftovers is chosen item because it allows Mantine to regain a bit of its health each turn. Bold Nature allows Matine to better take on Gunk Shot Greninja, which is a big threat to this team.

Dragonite @ Choice Band

Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Fire Punch
I had everything on the team but I lacked a revenge killer, so I decided to go with Dragonite because of how big of a threat Tapu Koko is in SM Monotype. I decided to go with Choice Band Dragonite because of wallbreaking it provides. Outrage is primary attack that hits everything expect Steel- and Fairy-types. Extreme Speed allows Dragonite to revenge kill threats namely Tapu Koko and Greninja. Fire Punch is used to hit Steel- and Grass-types such as Skarmory and Ferrothorn. Superpower allows Dragonite to hit Chansey and Porygon2 giving Landorus-T more opportunities to sweep. Adamant nature along with Maximum Attack investment allows Dragonite's Extreme Speed to be as fast as possible. Maximum Speed allows Dragonite to outspeed threats such ass Bisharp and Mega Venusaur. Choice Band bolsters Dragonite's attack, while also locking itself into a move.​
Moosical I've seen you grow as a player since BLT and I've been very impressed bro keep up good work
Eien Thanks for doing all Mono C&C stuff it really helps get Monotype out there
TheThorn the best Monotype player of all-time?
Wanka 76ers gonna be good next year I swear
6ti you're alt right?
Sabella please don't change your name to that new alt
Anttya yeah flying is still OP
Paleo when you are gonna win something?
Zarif biggest snake ever
Azelea chill asf
Clearly seems like he's never on
Omega-Xis memers?
Dirpz OW is fun
Bax underrated player
Balto higher than the clouds
Hammy cool guy to talk music too
Chras Makes good art
rnbs chill guy
Entei Jewboi
Tyke you've come far
Zukushiku people sleep on him
double switches come around more often
Attribute pretty chill
Misaka Mikoto never talked to you until recently. Talking to you changed some parts of community I haven't noticed.
Wyn only player I've meet that can never play and be just as good as he was before
terrors Really enjoy working with you in Monotype C&C
Fírnen I admire your dedication although we were cool for a while I'm happy to say we are on good terms
StarBlim chill guy I never talked to you until you left staff
ChildOfDisorder same as StarBilm but you're still in staff
Isza he's one of reasons I came back to PS in Gen 6 although he's banned I still admire him as player
Ticktick chill guy
Jo' Z when are you gonna make that comeback
SirSkit lowkey amazing player
Other Friends
Lax comeback is real
Chakra chill guy to talk to when's mon comeback?
Kammi don't see you often
Freeroamer who's taking L in MPL BW matchup?
Shadestep chill guy
Sae Sae stay around a bit after MPL
p2 one of funniest and in touch guys I've met
Croven lucky and bad
Jyph come around more often
North don't go 0-6 in BW this year
Yaksok chill guy
Ransei You're very dedicated to OM community, I really admire that. I haven't really talked to you since OMPL, but thanks for giving me a shot in OMPL.
Dream Eater Gengar glad to see you're a lot happier ever since you've left monotype community
Special Thanks to these people what they've done for Monotype Community is irreplaceable
scpinion sad to see you leave man, although I didn't see eye to eye with you on every issue policy wise you were a great leader that Monotype needed.
wishes thank you for leading OM C&C so Monotype gets a lot more exposure words cannot express my gratitude
Acast I know you don't really get appreciation or hate Scp gets, but Thank you for all you've done for Monotype community thus far
Bondie being RO for a while means something :)
The Immortal thank you for supporting Monotype behind the scenes Monotype wouldn't be where it is is without you.
MPL Team I don't think we have the best team, but we can pull through
Anty good player
Shiba If there's a Clef there's a way
Dak Prescott bring back Mono OMs
DoW I admire you as a BW player and thank you for all you've done for Monotype
Sorry if missed anyone you can PM me if I forgot you!!! I'd happily add you :)
Landorus-Therian @ Rockium Z
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind
- Iron Head
- Roost

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 180 SpD / 76 Spe
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Substitute
- Toxic

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Defog
- Roost
- Haze

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Fire Punch
Conclusion
I really enjoyed using this team although I admit it isn't like most Monotype RMTs I have posted. I loved using Landorus-T and found it really satisfying to sweep with because of how much planning is necessary to successfully pull of a sweep. It also was a great to see Flying teams changed from ORAS regarding policy changes and new moves, and the introduction of Z Moves. Hopefully you've enjoyed reading my RMT and I inspired you to build something new and try something different.

not really much of a rate, but I just have to say that this team looks amazing. It counters a lot of threats and has an effective bulk core in skarm/zapdos/mantine as well as great offensive power as well. If was going to say anything about improving this team, it would probably be to run heat wave>substitute on zapdos, primarily because without a move to hit steel types, such as excadrill, you may find yourself being outspeed and with nowhere to turn to if excadrill can find a way in against it, and running sub isn't going to save you from that. Now I know what you're thinking, in that situation, you'd just switch into skarm right? I'll tell you here right now so you don't have to respond, I have come across ground teams before with landorous-o in them before, and that means one thing: GRAVITY. This single move can screw most of your team, especially against your zapdos and skarm, vs ground teams, and it's not just landorous-o that gets this move, other viable pokemon like brongzong, magnezone, Ferrothorn, and even landorous-t get it too. So just be weary about it, and consider what I have said here.

Hope this helps a bit.

Vid

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
not really much of a rate, but I just have to say that this team looks amazing. It counters a lot of threats and has an effective bulk core in skarm/zapdos/mantine as well as great offensive power as well. If was going to say anything about improving this team, it would probably be to run heat wave>substitute on zapdos, primarily because without a move to hit steel types, such as excadrill, you may find yourself being outspeed and with nowhere to turn to if excadrill can find a way in against it, and running sub isn't going to save you from that. Now I know what you're thinking, in that situation, you'd just switch into skarm right? I'll tell you here right now so you don't have to respond, I have come across ground teams before with landorous-o in them before, and that means one thing: GRAVITY. This single move can screw most of your team, especially against your zapdos and skarm, vs ground teams, and it's not just landorous-o that gets this move, other viable pokemon like brongzong, magnezone, Ferrothorn, and even landorous-t get it too. So just be weary about it, and consider what I have said here.

Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks for the rate!
The main purpose of this Zapdos is to annoy bulky teams with Substitute + Toxic set such as Normal, Water, and opposing Flying teams to name a few. Heat Wave would not solve the issue of Gravity like you said because Pokemon can just use Earthquake so reasoning behind changing it (Landorus lives a Heat Wave and can set up Gravity). For Gravity issue the only viable Gravity setter in Monotype is Landorus and even then Rock Slide, Rock Polish, or even Psychic are just better options on Ground-type teams. The other Pokemon that get Gravity typically don't have room for it on their moveset and it's a bad gimmick.

I'm nervous to suggest a rate, given your success with the team and in general, but it seems like your team is somewhat hurting for speed control.

Your fastest Pokémon is Mega Charizard Y, only hitting 100, which could leave the team really vulnerable to fast threats such as LO Latios, Tapu Koko, or Mixed Greninja. Even slower pokemon such as Meloetta and Nidoking could be problematic, given only Zard-Y outspeeds and checks them.

With this in mind, I'd reccomend changing Landorus-T to Choice Scarf to act as the team's blanket revenge killer and pivot while generating momentum for the whole squad.

Landorus-T @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

This will provide the team with checks for the aforementioned threats as well as some other boosters such as Z-Conversion PorygonZ and Z-Hypnosis Xurkitree, both of whom are really dangerous for the team.

Hope this rate helps!

Last edited:
Thanks for the rate!
The main purpose of this Zapdos is to annoy bulky teams with Substitute + Toxic set such as Normal, Water, and opposing Flying teams to name a few. Heat Wave would not solve the issue of Gravity like you said because Pokemon can just use Earthquake so reasoning behind changing it (Landorus lives a Heat Wave and can set up Gravity). For Gravity issue the only viable Gravity setter in Monotype is Landorus and even then Rock Slide, Rock Polish, or even Psychic are just better options on Ground-type teams. The other Pokemon that get Gravity typically don't have room for it on their moveset and it's a bad gimmick.
Yeah, ok that probably wasn't my best rate... I have to reiterate though that the speed control you have on the team won't save you from most steel teams, as defensive celesteela> landorous, excadrill>zapdos,mega char Y and mantine, and a combination of zapdos and heatran can beat your mantine and zapdos..... Just saying that there's not a lot you can do against steel teams at the moment. Ignore what I said about gravity, it just came to mind while I was writing and thought "hey wouldn't z-gravity work really well v flying teams?" but yeah you are right about that, it's probably a bad gimmick.

Last edited:
Yeah, ok that probably wasn't my best rate... I have to reiterate though that the speed control you have on the team won't save you from most steel teams, as defensive celesteela> landorous, excadrill>zapdos,mega char Y, mantine and dragonite, and a combination of zapdos and heatran can beat your mantine and zapdos..... Just saying that there's not a lot you can do against steel teams at the moment
I'm not sure how you get the idea that this team would struggle against Steel.

Zard-Y puts tremendous pressure on Steel Teams, as does Band Dragonite 2HKOing everything with a bit of prediction. Lando-T does 80% to both defensive Celesteela and Skarmory at +2 and even without rock polish nothing on Steel can easily revenge kill it if it's healthy. And Excadrill doesn't "beat" Zapdos: just because it walls the set doesn't mean Zapdos is beaten, since it can't break Zapdos without a rock slide Flinch which it can scout and switch into skarmory or lando-t, or even just PP stall it with Pressure.

So there's plenty the team can do against Steel.

Last edited:

Vid

I'm nervous to suggest a rate, given your success with the team and in general, but it seems like your team is somewhat hurting for speed control.

Your fastest Pokémon is Mega Charizard Y, only hitting 100, which could leave the team really vulnerable to fast threats such as LO Latios, Tapu Koko, or Mixed Greninja. Even slower pokemon such as Meloetta and Nidoking could be problematic, given only Zard-Y outspeeds and checks them.

With this in mind, I'd reccomend changing Landorus-T to Choice Scarf to act as the team's blanket revenge killer and pivot while generating momentum for the whole squad.

Landorus-T @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

This will provide the team with checks for the aforementioned threats as well as some other boosters such as Z-Conversion PorygonZ and Z-Hypnosis Xurkitree, both of whom can plow through your team with little issue.

Hope this rate helps!
Thanks for rate I've considered Scarf Landorus-T for a while maybe it might be worth trying since metagame has shifted a bit because of Mega Medicham ban and how it is an effective revenge killer in the current metagame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)