move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: Earthquake
ability: Intimidate
item: Leftovers
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Attack / 4 Def

Moves
========
  • Play Rough is the only Physical Fairy-type move, it packs quite a punch when used by Granbull, nailing the ever common Dragon-types.
  • Heal Bell sets Granbull apart from other Pokemon, keeping itself safe from burns and keeping its teammates safe from other status ailments.
  • Thunder Wave cripples many things and somewhat mitigates Granbull's Speed issue.
  • Earthquake is resisted by very few Pokemon in OU in conjunction with Play Rough.
  • These moves give Granbull a certain niche.

Set Details
========

• The EVs are to make Granbull as bulky as possible, while making it hit as hard as it can.
  • Adamant is preferred over other natures for making Granbull as powerful as possible.
  • Never invest Speed into Granbull, as it is not worth it ever.
  • Leftovers is Granbull's only form of recovery besides the unreliable RestTalk.
  • Intimidate mitigates Granbull's need to invest in Defense.
  • An alternate set of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def can be used, as it gives Granbull insane physical bulk, another thing that sets it apart from other Fairy-types.

Usage Tips
========
  • Granbull requires some practice to use, as it can't support itself and its team all by itself.
  • It does serve well to absorb statuses, but you can't always just rely on it to always be doing that.
  • You'll also need to get around Skarmory, who can easily set up on Granbull.
  • Don't keep Granubll in on Special Attackers, as its Special Defense isn't very good.
  • After you get used to the playstyle of Bulky Offense, Granbull isn't that hard to use!

Team Options
========
  • Wish passing is almost a necessity.
  • A good Wish passer is Blissey, who covers Granbull's weakness to Special Attackers, while Granbull can take on the Fighting-types that trouble Blissey.
  • Steel-types are also great partners, as they resist both of Granbull's weaknesses, a great Steel-type partner is Excadrill, who spins away Toxic Spikes Granbull doesn't appreciate, while also being having a reliable resist to take out Granbull's weaknesses.
  • Talonflame is another good partner, as it can handle Mega Lucario and Skarmory, both of which give Granbull a lot of problems.
Other Options
########

• Fire Punch for Scizor and other Steel-types that have a neutrality to Earthquake.
  • Close Combat, but has bad side effect of stripping away Granbull's bulk.
  • Buk Up, as it is Granbull's only way of boosting its Attack
  • Stone Edge gets nice coverage alongside Play Rough, but leaves you open to Steel-types walling you.
  • Taunt can be useful against Ferrothorn or Forretress, but it is often to slow to make use of it.
  • Super Fang is constant damage, but Play Rough often will hit harder, and can actually KO Pokemon, unlike Super Fang.
  • Sunny Day / Rain Dance as a backup weather supporter.
  • Roar is an option for shuffling, but Granbull really can't give up a moveslot.
  • Ice Punch gets good coverage all around.

Checks & Counters
########
  • Skarmory walls it no matter what and can easily set up on it.
  • Crobat resists both its attacks and can Taunt it before it gets a chance to pull off a Thunder Wave.
  • Bronzong can set up Screens and Stealth Rock, while Granbull can do nothing return.
  • Mega Venusaur can put it to sleep and SubSeed it, while Granbull fails to dent it.
  • Mega Alakazam can come in and Trace Intimidate, leaving Granbull weak and easy to be KOed.
  • Mega Lucario can use Bullet Punch or Flash Cannon to easily pick it off, even after an Intimidate.
  • Toxic Spikes, as Granbull has no reliable way of recovery outside of Leftovers, so it is prone to them.
  • Rotom-H can come in and Will-O-Wisp it, while Granbull can literally do absolutely nothing return.
  • Gengar can Sludge Bomb it and kill it off before it gets a chance to Thunder Wave.

[Note: This is my first attempt at this in Generation 6, so let me know if I did anything wrong!]

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I think an EV Spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def Impish can also be listed in set details as an alternate choice, because Intimidate + massive physical bulk allows it to serve more as a dedicated physical wall, which allows it to stand out even more from other Fairy-types

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Make Impish 252/252+ either its own set or a separate set, since physically defensive Granbull is one of the most popular and only good ways to use it in OU.

AccidentalGreed

AccidentalGreed, would you like me to edit the existing set to that, or would you like me to write a whole new set for it?
Your choice and judgement, depending on what you actually tested out (did you?). The former is easier, while the latter gives room for debate on whether or not the Adamant 252/252+ spread is good.

Your choice and judgement, depending on what you actually tested out (did you?). The former is easier, while the latter gives room for debate on whether or not the Adamant 252/252+ spread is good.
I've been only using the set that I've posted, I like it a lot, I don't have experience on 252/252+ Impish however. So, I don't know, I'm probably more biased for myy set because I've used it, so I don't know.

I think the defensive set would use the same moves, but you could put slashes on Thunder Wave with Toxic, Super Fang, or Roar since they're the most useful other support moves Granbull carries
Ok, I'll enter it tomorrow, I don't have access to a computer until then so

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Rest / Sleep Talk / Play Rough / Heal Bell was mentioned by McGrrr and it doesn't sound like a bad set at all. Worth a mention even in OO.

Question to everyone that is QC'ing, is it even worth it to write up a new set? It is exactly the same except it has different EV Allocations, can I just place it in set comments. I don't think I could write up a second set without it sounding identical to the first.

So I'm not really sure about Granbull to begin with. I get that it has a unique niche as being the most physically defensive Fairy-type due to its Intimidate ability, but I find it to be an otherwise underwhelming Pokemon. It has really poor Speed and special bulk, and its basically limited to using Play Rough as its only viable attack. And even with Intimidate, it's not really any better than other Dragon checks, such as Landorus-T and Unaware Clefable. For example:

-1 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Granbull: 138-163 (35.9 - 42.4%) -- 92.2% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

And if you bring it in on a Swords Dance:

+1 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Granbull: 310-366 (80.7 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

If you're running max bulk:

+1 252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 211-250 (54.9 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Meanwhile you fail to OHKO back with Play Rough:

0 Atk Granbull Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 236-282 (65.9 - 78.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I'm very skeptical about this. At the moment, I'm leaning towards a rejection. I'll leave my mind open for the time being in hopes someone can provide some convincing reasoning as to why this thing is worth my time. Logs would be nice, too.

AccidentalGreed

Granbull's niche as one of the only physically bulky Fairy-types isn't nearly enough to make up the the amount of flaws it has. Sorry.

Rejected 2/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)