SV OU Grimsnarl Incineroar heat (1300s)

Greetings! This is my first post on literally any forum, so you have my apologies if this is a little.... unorganized.
I would highly appreciate any constructive feedback in regards to my team alongside replays of anyone using it, if you wish to contact me my discord is CarnageVibin.

First and foremost, who are the members of the team? The team is composed of Gliscor, Raging Neck (Raging Bolt), Gholdengo, Grimsnarl, Incineroar and lastly Serperior.
The pokepaste is here: https://pokepast.es/3caa2fa1da8f2044

Chapters:
Chapter 1) Gliscor
Chapter 2) Raging Bolt
Chapter 3) Gholdengo
Chapter 4) Grimmsnarl
Chapter 5) Incineroar (The GOAT of VGC)
Chapter 6) The explanation of the core of Incineroar and Grimmsnarl
Chapter 7) The last addition, Serperior.
Chapter 8) The problems
Chapter 9) Closing words
Chapter 10) Replays

Chapter 1) Gliscor
:bw/gliscor:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 244 HP / 248 Def / 16 SpD
Impish Nature
- Knock Off
- Spikes
- Toxic
- Protect

I have used the standard Gliscor set with a minor abbreviation from the main set. Instead of Earthquake I chose to run Knock Off. The reason for that is while I love Spike spam Gliscor, it can feel annoying to run into HDB. Further reasoning is to get rid of items off of the opposing team while also potentially having toxic on my hand. While steel pokemon can get quite troublesome with this set, it does not get walled as much by other flying types or Corv/Skarm.
Gliscor all together is an amazing physical wall that works very well together with Raging Bolt, Gholdengo and Incineroar due to its ground immunity. The constant regen it has due to its ability makes it an S-Tier pokemon within OU for me, just like it is an S-Tier within my favourites.

Chapter 2) Raging Bolt
:sv/Raging_Bolt:
Raging Bolt @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 128 HP / 128 Def / 252 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Thunderclap
- Tera Blast
- Calm Mind

Raging Bolt, a.k.a. Raging Neck. This homocidal giraffe-dragon-thing is incredibly bulky due to its large HP in combination with nice defense stats, but also hits super hard on the special side with base 137 SpA.
I love Raging Bolt and the variety it can have within its sets, but one set was very interesting to me. The set that got Regieleki out of OU this gen! It is Tera-Ice Terablast!
Tera-Ice Terablast does a lot for Raging Neck, it ironically enough for being the glass-cannon type within pokemon does serve a defensive and offensive benefit for Raging Neck. Tera'ing out of the bad ground matchup and hitting back for super-effective damage is something I have found super useful within the limited playtesting I did of the team.
I love how Raging Bolt operates within the team all together, it has quite the nice feel to it. The Proto-SpA with Calm Mind in combination with Screens makes it incredibly bulky, the EV spread had been chosen this way to hit a higher EV-bump with the rest being invested into HP for more bulk overall. I do not have precise calculations, but this thing is BULK.

Chapter 3) Gholdengo
:sv/Gholdengo:
Gholdengo @ Leftovers
Ability: Good as Gold
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 236 Def / 20 SpA / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Make It Rain
- Recover
- Nasty Plot

Well, well, well, it is the not-so-good guy himself. Mr. Ghold. Do I love him? Yes. Do I hate him? Definitely. Is he good? No question about it.
We will keep the trend going to synergize with Gliscor and use bulky special attackers that can set-up to sweep whole games going! Gholdengo is incredible at being a wall, utility block and sweeper all together! It can get very frustrating to switch into it after one, and even more so after two, Nasty Plots!
There is not much to introduce to with Gholdengo. It serves as both Spin and Defog blocker, additional physical wall, ice resist, fighting/normal immunity, set-up sweeper, potential wall-breaker, check for Great Tusk and Iron Head lacking King Gambit and some more minor things. Over all an incredible Pokemon with crazy capabilities.

Chapter 4) Grimmsnarl
:ss/Grimmsnarl:
Grimmsnarl @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt
- Parting Shot

This is our most often chosen lead. Prankster Light Clay utility Grimmsnarl. Most often I lead this Pokemon in order to Taunt the opposing lead, but be aware that this can backfire if it goes into a Tera-Dark or dark Pokemon in general. Of course I had Thunderwave in mind instead of Taunt, but I believe Taunt is the right choice. Tera-Ghost may seem odd, but you willl most likely never tera Grimmsnarl anyway. The only reason for this is if you face a very rare type of set like Mean Look Wo-Chien and wish to keep momentum by Tera'ing on your second screen to switch out after.
The role of Grimmsnarl as our lead is in order to get up screens. I recommend putting up your screens with a question in mind. The question is "Who do I want to sweep with?" The reason for this question is so that you are aware of which screen to put up first. For example: if you wish to sweep with Raging Bolt because your opponent is weak to it, then you should put up Reflect AFTER Light Screen. Of course only if you are not to be OHKO'd by whatever Grimmsnarl is facing down. The reason for why you want to put up Reflect after Light is to get more turns out of the physical bulk it provides. Calm Mind will raise your SpD anyway. You are most likely to click Calm Mind as your very first move when switching in with Raging Bolt since it provides more SpD while setting up your sweep, which in turn leaves you more vulnerable to physical attacks as the screens do not last long on this team in spite of the Clay. The reason for that? Well.... it is

Chapter 5) Incineroar (The GOAT of VGC)
:ss/Incineroar:
Incineroar @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Careful Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brick Break
- U-turn
- Parting Shot

As you may have noticed, there is Parting Shot on my Grimmsnarl, the reason for that is to switch into Incineroar with priority on either physical attackers, or Pokemon that get wall'd by Incineroar/threatened with a Flare Blitz. Brick Break is here too in order to break opposing screens (which happens rarely ever, so go for whichever coverage you like)
I wished to make Incineroar SpD bulky as it does not have to worry too much about physical attackers due to Intimidate. The 216 SpD with Careful Nature hits a high EV-bump and allows to tank A LOT in combination with its HP. The Tera-Flying is just in case you need to Tera out of a ground/fighting weakness like Excadrill.
Incineroar is incredible at weakening the opponents damage output due to Parting Shot + Intimidate, but just in case that there is the thread of a Taunt, you have access to U-turn as well.

Chapter 6) The explanation of the core of Incineroar and Grimmsnarl;

The synergy between these two is what inspired me to this bulky offensive team, using the Screens of Grimmsnarl together with Taunt and Parting Shot is incredible in and of itself to reduce the damage output of opponents in order to prepare a sweep, but the real magic comes in as soon as Incineroar comes to play. The Sitrus allows it to regenerate a lot of HP without relying on the too-slow (for Incineroar) leftovers. It will be switched out at the end of the turn anyway. Parting Shot and Intimidate lower the opponents offenses tremendously, so the only thing left to do is to switch in a healthy sweeper thanks to the slow pivot of Incineroar.

Chapter 7) The last addition, Serperior.
:bw/Serperior:
Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Stellar
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Tera Blast
- Glare
- Substitute

Serperior, another one of my Favourites. Serperior is incredible at getting out of hand fast. It is speed control thanks to Glare, while also being a Contrary sweeper! It has very respectable speed and outspeeds anything that is not of the high speedtier within OU / Booster Energy (Spe).
Something I have found it lacking in is the bulk, but luckily enough it is not a problem with this team! The screens help a lot, and you can catch switches with a Glare to paralyze them. The Substitute is there to allow you to live for longer as well as set-up without having to worry as much. Tera-Stellar is the best tool in order to take down steel types, which this team admittedly does struggle against.

Chapter 8) The problems

As mentioned just now, steel types are a problem. This team can have a incredibly good run, until it reaches anyone with more than two fast steel types. Who I feel like might be one of the largest problems is Defiant King Gambit, which admittedly does not really come up, but if it were to happen? Yeah, that'd be it. King Gambit in general does pose a threat. Yes, you do have a lot of bulk, but most of it is temporary. And guess who is the last Pokemon alive? It is HIM. By the time you get to King Gambit your screens will most likely have run out, which leaves you vulnerable to Black Glasses Tera-Dark King Gambit pressing Sucker Punch 8 times. The best counter in my opinion is Serperior (within the realm of this current version of the team), but that may die in one hit to King Gambit pressing Kowtow Cleave. Another issue are any unaware mons. The best check obviously is Raging Bolt since Proto-SpA does bypass that, but they still are a huge pain to deal with. (Blissey too!)
IF you feel like you are running into Blissey more often than Tusk / find it more neccessary to deal with Blissey than Tusk, then I reccommend to run Psyshock on Gholdengo over Dazzling Gleam.
The last issue that I personally would deem the most detremental is the possibility of Volcarona. If your opponent chooses to go Volcarona while you have your Incineroar out, then you will have issues. The best you can do is switch to Serperior to Glare, but even that feels horrible to do as you are relying a lot on luck in this instance. The speed and SpD gain of Quiver Dance is a large threat to the team, especially when up against Volcarona.

Chapter 9) Closing words

I hope that you could enjoy this chaotic and ammature post of mine. Everything I stated at the beginning still counts and I wish you the best. I will try to take a few replays or add replays to this post of people using the team if they are particularly interesting.
I love the L'agency, I am out.

Chapter 10) Replays

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2092643497-53lplt42lh12x99j9badux3bxbea0h1pw (The general idea of the team being well presented)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2092706243-o6ldrfibjspmznd7fp2714prl4od6kwpw (Proof of Raging Neck's Bulk)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2092708991-a3ywhe4wuwwrsb4d5dtax6lqs4gmeanpw (Just how fast Raging Neck can get out of control)

Last edited:

ken

gm
is a Tournament Directoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
Monotype Leader
Hi CarnageVibin, welcome to Smogon! I am locking your RMT for the time being as it looks like you've posted a wee bit early, and the forum rules require that you provide at least three lines of descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and look at the Team Showcase to see the detail we require. PM me with an updated post, and I will be happy to unlock this. Also, feel free to PM me if you need help or have any questions. Have a nice day!
To PM someone on Smogon, go over their name on any of their post. It will display a little pop-up with a summary of their profile. Then, hit the "Start conversation" button and you will be able to write a PM just like you write a regular thread.
Why did you choose this Pokemon? What do the EV spreads do and why do you have it? What are all 4 moves for?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)