GSC In-Game Tier List

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
My personal experience was that the babying Eevee required wasn't too troublesome, especially with its access to Headbutt and Return right away. It also evolved at level 34 for me, which allowed it to learn both Bite and Psybeam, and I didn't have to do anything extraordinary with regards to increasing Eevee's happiness to achieve that. Anyway, I'm not going to fight for this too much since I understand how its drawbacks and relative inefficiency warrant keeping it in C.

GGFan

Banned deucer.
Here are my G/S tier lists for S and A

S
~Totodile
~Mareep
~Sentret
~Abra

Totodile is the best overall Pokémon for ingame. Although its Special Attack stat is mediocre, it's more than good enough to power through everything. When you get to Goldenrod, go to the department store and teach it Ice Punch, which will let it cover its Grass weakness as well as destroy Lance at the end of the game. When you get to Ecruteak, beat up the Kimono Girls and teach it Surf, which is obscenely powerful at this point in the game and will remain one of your best attacks for the rest of it. It also has a high Attack stat and has decent Speed, so it makes good use of Headbutt. It can also use Dig or Earthquake for additional type coverage. However, what truly makes Totodile a step above the other starters is that it reaches its fully evolved form at just level 30. Compare this to Cyndaquil, who evolves into Quilava at level 14 and doesn't evolve into Typhlosion until level 36. Evolving earlier means higher stats earlier.

Next is Mareep, who is there to slaughter everything that Totodile can't (not as quickly, at least, if you intend on using multiple Pokémon), namely Water types. Like Totodile, it reaches its fully evolved form at just level 30, which has a massive Special Attack stat and a good enough movepool. Thunder Punch, Thunder Wave, Fire Punch, and Headbutt will last you the entire game, and you can have this moveset by Goldenrod.

Sentret has two uses. You can use it in your main lineup as a fighter, as it has decent stats all around and a good enough movepool that takes advantage of them. The main appealing thing about Sentret is its Normal typing, which gives it STAB when it uses Normal-type attacks. If you don't know what STAB is, it's a mechanic that boosts the power of a Pokémon's attack by a whopping 30% if the attack's type matches the Pokémon's type. This makes Headbutt borderline broken when Sentret uses it, since its evolved form, Furret, has a very high base 90 Speed AND gets STAB from Headbutt, meaning you get a 100 BP attack before entering the third town that will make the opponent flinch 30% of the time. It also learns Dig for hitting Rock and Ghost types, Shadow Ball for additional coverage, and Ice Punch for helping make short work of Lance. And to top all of that off, it evolves into Furret at just level 15.

If you don't want to use Sentret in your main lineup, it has another use as one of the best HM slaves in the game. Furret can learn Cut, Strength, Surf, and Rock Smash (a TM, but still). This means all you need to do is teach Totodile Waterfall and you're set.

I put Abra at the end because, although it is obscenely powerful, you don't find it until Goldenrod and it's a bit of a pain to catch. Nonetheless, it is extremely powerful even if you can't fully evolve it. Only Espeon, Gengar, the legendary birds, and Mewtwo have a higher Special Attack than Kadabra, and its special-based movepool includes Psychic (which is boosted by STAB) and ALL three elemental punches. Psychic/Thunder Punch/Fire Punch/Ice Punch will plow through practically everything, and on top of that its blazing 105 base Speed will ensure it goes first almost every time. Don't bother with Recover since you can use items to heal.

A
~Wooper
~Drowzee
~Cyndaquil
~Magmar
~Machop (traded)
~Geodude

If you didn't go with Totodile, Wooper is the best Water type in the game, mostly because of its availability and level 20 evolution. Quagsire's Water/Ground dual type is also one of the best defensive types to have, as its only weakness is Grass. Though its offensive stats are nothing to write home about, they will get the job done thanks to STAB on Surf and Earthquake (and it learns Earthquake at just level 35). Ice Punch is also another great attack to have, even with that underwhelming Special Attack.

If you can't stand the thought of using a Pokémon that you can't fully evolve, then Drowzee is an OK substitute for Kadabra. The special split greatly hindered its offensive prowess, but base 73 Special Attack still isn't THAT bad, and it can learn all three elemental punches. It's also much slower than Kadabra, though, so keep that in mind. It is much bulkier, however, which I suppose can come in handy at times. And hey, Drowzee evolves into Hypno at level 26, which is alright.

Cyndaquil requires quite a bit of patience, but has a decent pay off at the end. It doesn't learn Ember until level 12, but then evolves just two levels later. Just when you think things are finally starting to look promising, you realize you're stuck with Ember all the way until level 31. Once Quilava finally evolves, you can teach it Fire Punch and Thunder Punch, which it makes great use of with that enormous Special Attack. However, what saves Cindy from being ranked lower is that you can get Fire Blast at Goldenrod. Even though it may take a while to get enough coins, having access to a 120 BP attack + STAB that early in the game is obscene and deserves recognition.

Magmar is easily your best choice for a Fire type if you didn't choose Cyndaquil. It starts with Fire Punch and has access to both Thunder Punch and Headbutt. Furthermore, its base Attack is higher than Typhlosion's, while its Special Attack is only 9 points lower. Because it's already fully evolved and has access to more powerful moves off the bat, one can certainly make the argument that it's better than Cyndaquil.

The traded Machop that you can get in Goldenrod is one of the best weapons available for taking down Whitney. After that, you're left with a Pokémon that gains boosted exp. thanks to the trade mechanic and has a pretty high Attack stat to go with it. However, Fighting, while decent, is not the ideal type for sweeping. Other Pokémon have far better type coverage and stats, but Machop is still decent thanks to its power and being able to level up quickly.

You can catch Geodude at the start of the game, and it makes a big difference early on. It makes short work of the first four gym leaders with Rock Throw, Magnitude, and its Rock type. It continues to be useful later on in the game, beating on the likes of Jasmine and the rockets, though its low Special Defense, awful Speed, and weaknesses to common types lower its glass ceiling quite a bit compared to other Pokémon. I wouldn't say it's top tier, but its high Attack, acquisition of important attacks fairly early (Rock Throw at level 11 and Magnitude at level 16), and fast level-up curve means it will pull its weight more often than not, even if you can't fully evolve it.

GGFan The Machop is a waste of time imo. If you aren't upgrading to Machamp, then it sucks, but if you are then it's a pretty damn good mon with great stats. Though of course, you cannot disregard the time investment and annoyance of having to trade in the first place; it's not a just an auto-positive trait, the pokemon has to be worth it (like Abra is). Though he's strong, a huge issue with Machamp is that it lacks a good STAB move with high PP. Cross chop is 5, rendering it to be used almost exclusively for big fights such as gyms and rivals. While his Karate Chop is 25 PP, it only has 50 base power). Not to mention there's not a gigantic amount of things in the game weak to Fighting moves, unlike Psychic. That is an important reason why Confusion (Abra/Girafarig) is a better move than Karate Chop. Vital Throw is stronger, but has the horrible effect of opening yourself up to taking damage or getting poisoned/paralyzed by weak and slow pokemon, which is 100% unacceptable for a potential A-rank. This effectively limits Machamp's moveset options even further than it already is.

Machop for Whitney? I mean yeah, but you still don't resist normal moves so it's not like you can just walk in and take names; you'll have to grind that Machop to probably >level 17. Regardless, Whitney is easily taken down with 1 X Defend + 1 X Special from a Quilava, or simply just mindlessly clicking the Fury Cutter button if using Croconaw. The X items are convenient in this game, so it's a complete nonisssue. They are not only purchasable at BOTH Violet City and Goldenrod, but they are also found on the ground along your jounrney, which saves you money for buying other useful crap :) There is an X Defend in Union Cave and an X Attack near the Headbutt guy in Ilex Forest. The game is literally throwing the optimal method of beating Whitney right at our face.

As for Drowzee, you make a good case for it going to B (A is kind of a reach). I definitely agree with you on that my dude.
  • Level 26 evolution isn't that horrible.
  • Solid BST when it evolves. But as a Drowzee, you totally lack immediate power with that 48/43 Attacking stat lineup.
  • Absolutely Colossal 50% encounter rate on Route 34 at any time of day. If playing Crystal, it is a 30% encounter at Night. Quite a big downgrade, so maybe only "Drowzee (GS)" should be listed under B, if it were to move up.
  • Arguably the most important point: Drowzee fills a niche of being the only catchable Pure Psychic-type that learns Hypnosis, and is of one of only three catchable Psychic-types available in Johto that learn a sleep move period. (the other being Exeggcute and Jynx).
  • Hypno is also the fastest Psychic type available before Mahogany that learns a sleep move naturally. Smoochum does not get lovely Kiss, so if you want a Jynx with Kiss you NEED to rely on that god awful encounter rate & specific timeslot in the Ice Path.
  • Drowzee's level-up learnset leaves more to be desired, but the many different TMs it gets (namely Shadow Ball and Punches) make it about as efficient a mixed attacker as Nidoqueen.

Last edited:
You're making otherwise solid points, Boxwood, but I just want to point something out.

Absolutely Colossal 50% encounter rate on Route 34 at any time of day. If playing Crystal, it is a 30% encounter at Night. Quite a big downgrade, so maybe only "Drowzee (GS)" should be listed under B, if it were to move up.
Let's also not forget Eevee itself requires backtracking to obtain... Not to mention you are forced to listen to Bill ramble on about his time machine for ages. It's always best to just never enter the Ecruteak Pokecenter Lol.
The backtracking is not too huge deal if you have a Teleporting Pokemon on hand, yet still a burden nonetheless. Route 35 + National Park is the most annoying land-based area in the entire game (obviously excluding the ocean Route(s) near Cianwood and the Whirl Islands), so anything that makes you go through there is getting points deducted. As this applies to Eevee, that means the annoyance of Espeon is similarly magnified.
These points seem to come from the perspective of a form of speedrunning the game, which isn't the same as we're doing here with these lists. 30% - even if only during the night - is very good, and talking to Bill takes a minute or two at most so suggesting you never go into the Ecruteak Pokémon center doesn't make sense. This is more for casual playthroughs where the standards are a lot lower and hence things like these are not just acceptable but very positive. If you're coming from a background of speedrunning then I understand it's very hard to shake certain things you simply accept as standard for that sorta thing, but things like 30% encounter rates and 2 minutes of talking to an NPC are negligible here.

Kurona Ok I see what you mean. But yeah, I don't think 30% rate is bad at all; it's great. I even used it as a point in favor on Girafarig (albeit Giraf appears 30% morning, noon, & night, and I was comparing it to Tauros' 5% rate). Regardless, I was just mentioning the 50% for Drowzee (GS) to bolster Drowzee's resume even further, in case people weren't agreeing with the reasons to begin with.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
The differences in encounter rates between versions are ultimately negligible. Going from 50% all the time to 30% at night is annoying, but it's still decent enough odds. It's not worth giving separate rankings for Drowzee.

If you don't know what STAB is, it's a mechanic that boosts the power of a Pokémon's attack by a whopping 30% if the attack's type matches the Pokémon's type.
I think regulars of a competitive Pokémon forum would know what STAB is.

Also, the boost granted by STAB is 50%.

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
Are people factoring in items?

Unlike Gen 1, in addition to the Badge boosts, held items can improve damage output. I am not referring to X items, or even berries (as they are 1x use) but rather the type boosting items like Pink Ribbon, Mystic Water, etc., as well as other useful items such as Leftovers.

Type boosting items can allow a Pokémon with superior defense or speed stats, but lesser Attack stats to keep up (hit the minimum damage output for a 1HKO, or 2HKO) with Pokemon that are better offensively without items, but are overkill with additional power.
Similarly, it can allow a Pokémon with greater offense, Typing, and/or Speed to keep up defensively with a Pokémon with greater HP or Defense stats (think of Leftovers)

At the very least it can allow for no-cost moves, such as using Return over Double-Edge if you pack a Pink Bow to make it 112 Base Power, comparitively close to Double-Edge’s 120.

Would the viability of one Pokémon change? You cannot multiply the number of Leftovers, Pink Ribbons, etc. per game without trading, so you would not only want to pick the best user of the item, but the best moveset as well.

For a list of their availability: Scroll to “Hold Items” https://www.serebii.net/crystal/items.shtml

Also, what about the daycare?
Breeding can be a slow process to get the right egg moves, hatch, then raise from level 5, for example, but having the daycare raise “difficult to use in battle Pokémon” to good levels while saving the Exp. Share for more realistic battle-ready Pokémon may help boost the viability of some Pokémon.
I remember for Gen. 1, I would buy the Magicarp from the Magicarp Salesman in the PokeCenter by Mt. Moon, deposit it in the Daycare in Cerulean City, and then pick it up later when it was a high enough level to evolve, either with a rare candy or Exp. Share. The reason it worked so well was because Magicarp was sold early on (after the first gym, to be carried and trained in Mt. Moon and then dropped off 1 town over); and it’s use made up for the rarity of water types, at this stage in the game.

GGFan

Banned deucer.
The differences in encounter rates between versions are ultimately negligible. Going from 50% all the time to 30% at night is annoying, but it's still decent enough odds. It's not worth giving separate rankings for Drowzee.

I think regulars of a competitive Pokémon forum would know what STAB is.

Also, the boost granted by STAB is 50%.
Yeah, I actually just c/pd what I posted from GameFAQs.

Anyways, it's a crime that Sentret is C. STAB Headbutt on a Pokemon fast enough to outspeed almost everything ingame is no joke. Early evolution and sufficient movepool compound its usefulness for ingame runs. Sentret is by far one of the best Pokemon for ingame.

Last edited:

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Would the viability of one Pokémon change? You cannot multiply the number of Leftovers, Pink Ribbons, etc. per game without trading, so you would not only want to pick the best user of the item, but the best moveset as well.
While presumably people are in fact aware that items exist and can improve Pokémon if they hold said items, I wanted to explain that, as listed in the OP, this bit should not be a factor.

OP said:
Note that Pokemon are not penalized for being outclassed by something in a much higher tier. For example, Cyndaquil does not penalize Growlithe in a Growlithe vs Oddish comparison.
Items are freely held, so even if Tauros is a better holder of the Pink Bow than Sentret that does not mean you’d rank Sentret as though it did not hold the pink bow - in short don’t make assumptions about teammates.

There's a very interesting situation going on with Exeggcute. Pickernicker Gina, The Day Care, National Park, and Route 35 are all within the greater Goldenrod Area, making this little scenario possible. Since we're less focused on the clock/time, perhaps Exeggcute should be given a bit of a boost. I guess by the same token, Espeon should be too. But then again, moving from D-tier to C-tier is A LOT different from moving from C-tier to B-tier, so it's not exactly hypocrisy on my end. Plus, it probably takes about the same amount of time to get the egg move and level up the Exeggcute as it does to just evolve Eevee into Espeon, so yeah.
  1. If playing Crystal, Exeggcute can be found at a 20% rate by headbutting in Route 35, which is the route directly below National Park, which happens to be the area where you can find Sunkern at a 20% rate as well. So far so good.
  2. Eggy and Sunkern are breeding buddies, and the Sunkern you catch comes with Mega Drain right away, since it is level 14. You'd get a male Kern and a female Eggy, then put them in the place and hatch an Exeggcute that knows Mega Drain and with access to dual STABs as soon as level 19. This would improve the usability of Eggy greatly, and also mitigate it's bad level-up learnset to a degree.
  3. You can also take the Sunkern and (parent) Eggy out of the Day Care, letting you place your newly hatched level 5 Eggy in there and walk around a bit or doing other stuff until it gains 5-10 levels. Should only take 10-15 minutes tbh.
  4. In the meantime, you have your homegirl Gina 10 feet from the Day Care ready with those Leaf Stones. You'll almost certainly get a call from her for a stone within the time you are hatching, especially when you factor in the fact that you are not doing it all in one sitting, and playing between different days, as I've become aware this is a mainly casual thing. Getting Gina to trigger isn't too frustrating with the daylight svings exploit. You'll need to walk back to New Bark, but who cares when those valuable steps will go towards either hatching your egg or leveling up your fresh new Eggy; it's a win-win.
  5. When it's all said and done, you'll have an Exeggutor with dual STAB, leech seed, and hypnosis before you acquire your 3rd badge. Pretty impressive power at that point in the game (it's got some decent matchups down the road too). You can even use it to beat Miltank; Leech + Sleep do the job as it is, but you don't even need to since she's so easy to kill with your starter. Being able to kill Miltank isn't that much of a "postitive" for a pokemon, if a positive at all, so I'm just going to disregard it completely. So anyway, the total breeding/hatching/training process takes about 3 hours, give or take.
Obviously Mega Drain isn't the greatest move out there, but between the STAB and 125 base attack from Exeggutor, that move is hitting just shy of Gengar's Giga Drain, which is very powerful. 10 PP hurts Mega Drain quite a lot (Why is it only 10 when the move is so weak? Lol) , but when you think about it, that's only 5 PP less than many of the great moves in the game. It's not good, but it's not atrocious either.

*Realized this might sound weird to be talking so much about getting Mega Drain when I was just criticizing Karate Chop earlier. Believe me I know the move isn't good. I mean, of course Exeggutor is actually a better pokemon than Machamp, but that's besides the point. The niche is that good grass types are really rare in the game and they provide key resistances/advantages. You basically have Egg, Meganium, and nothing else. One of those requires using your starter slot. Plus if you choose the Cyndaquil, you can easily find a water mon for your team and complete the coveted FireWaterGrass core; pretty much unbreakable as far as in-game goes. So that's why I felt like mentioning stuff about grass moves on Eggy. I 100% understand that Exeggcute still sucks, regardless of how nifty and cool his access to extremely early breeding may be. Just making that clear.

Last edited:

Karxrida

There's a very interesting situation going on with Exeggcute. Pickernicker Gina, The Day Care, National Park, and Route 35 are all within the greater Goldenrod Area, making this little scenario possible. Since we're less focused on the clock/time, perhaps Exeggcute should be given a bit of a boost. I guess by the same token, Espeon should be too. But then again, moving from D-tier to C-tier is A LOT different from moving from C-tier to B-tier, so it's not exactly hypocrisy on my end. Plus, it probably takes about the same amount of time to get the egg move and level up the Exeggcute as it does to just evolve Eevee into Espeon, so yeah.
  1. If playing Crystal, Exeggcute can be found at a 20% rate by headbutting in Route 35, which is the route directly below National Park, which happens to be the area where you can find Sunkern at a 20% rate as well. So far so good.
  2. Eggy and Sunkern are breeding buddies, and the Sunkern you catch comes with Mega Drain right away, since it is level 14. You'd get a male Kern and a female Eggy, then put them in the place and hatch an Exeggcute that knows Mega Drain and with access to dual STABs as soon as level 19. This would improve the usability of Eggy greatly, and also mitigate it's bad level-up learnset to a degree.
  3. You can also take the Sunkern and (parent) Eggy out of the Day Care, letting you place your newly hatched level 5 Eggy in there and walk around a bit or doing other stuff until it gains 5-10 levels. Should only take 10-15 minutes tbh.
  4. In the meantime, you have your homegirl Gina 10 feet from the Day Care ready with those Leaf Stones. You'll almost certainly get a call from her for a stone within the time you are hatching, especially when you factor in the fact that you are not doing it all in one sitting, and playing between different days, as I've become aware this is a mainly casual thing. Getting Gina to trigger isn't too frustrating with the daylight svings exploit. You'll need to walk back to New Bark, but who cares when those valuable steps will go towards either hatching your egg or leveling up your fresh new Eggy; it's a win-win.
  5. When it's all said and done, you'll have an Exeggutor with dual STAB, leech seed, and hypnosis before you acquire your 3rd badge. Pretty impressive power at that point in the game (it's got some decent matchups down the road too). You can even use it to beat Miltank; Leech + Sleep do the job as it is, but you don't even need to since she's so easy to kill with your starter. Being able to kill Miltank isn't that much of a "postitive" for a pokemon, if a positive at all, so I'm just going to disregard it completely. So anyway, the total breeding/hatching/training process takes about 3 hours, give or take.
Obviously Mega Drain isn't the greatest move out there, but between the STAB and 125 base attack from Exeggutor, that move is hitting just shy of Gengar's Giga Drain, which is very powerful. 10 PP hurts Mega Drain quite a lot (Why is it only 10 when the move is so weak? Lol) , but when you think about it, that's only 5 PP less than many of the great moves in the game. It's not good, but it's not atrocious either.

*Realized this might sound weird to be talking so much about getting Mega Drain when I was just criticizing Karate Chop earlier. Believe me I know the move isn't good. I mean, of course Exeggutor is actually a better pokemon than Machamp, but that's besides the point. The niche is that good grass types are really rare in the game and they provide key resistances/advantages. You basically have Egg, Meganium, and nothing else. One of those requires using your starter slot. Plus if you choose the Cyndaquil, you can easily find a water mon for your team and complete the coveted FireWaterGrass core; pretty much unbreakable as far as in-game goes. So that's why I felt like mentioning stuff about grass moves on Eggy. I 100% understand that Exeggcute still sucks, regardless of how nifty and cool his access to extremely early breeding may be. Just making that clear.
If Eggexcute were to rise, it shouldn't be for these reasons. Breeding and hatching an egg are like the most inefficient things you can do in a playthrough because they're both based on step count (and staying near the Daycare for the former), and doing both for an egg move as weak as Mega Drain is even more of a waste of time. Throwing in having to DST manipulate for a Leaf Stone is also a decent time sink. Sure, Exeggutor has nice immediate power, but it's not great in the long run when it's stuck with two weak STABs until Kanto. It's just not worth the investment.

Also, good Grass-types don't really exist because they aren't particularly useful in this game. They have very few good match-ups for important fights (e.g. the Rival, who has 2 Poison-types and a Magneton), and you have to deal with Team Rocket and their Poison-type spam. Eggexcute admittedly bypasses some of these issues faced by its brethen thanks to being part Psychic, but it's still weak to Poison and doesn't bring much of value to the table defensively.

Last edited:
I have two quick questions. Why is Spearow listed in both the S tier and the A tier? Why are Tyrogue's three evolutions not tiered separately?

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Following up on the Eevee thing from a while back, I picked up my Gold playthrough again and worked my way to the Radio Tower arc. My Eevee is at lv. 35 with just a couple exp away from 36.

Since I don't want to miss out on Psybeam for obvious reasons, I ran my save through PkHex to double-check Eevee's current friendship level, and it currently stands at 177 (still far off from the required 220 to evolve). This is factoring in backtracks through Union Cave's Surf zones and to the hidden beach on Route 34 w/o Fly, along with a handful of haircuts, and iirc my Eevee hasn't fainted once and I never used any of the herb items on it.

So it seems that the chance of missing out on Psybeam on Espeon is a very real possibility, unless there's a trick to raising happiness quickly that I'm not aware of? I definitely think it shouldn't be higher than C, and depending on if others have had similar experiences with it, it may could drop out of C since not getting Psybeam w/o some major babying and accommodating is a pretty major blow to Espeon. You won't be seeing Psychic until you're at the Elite 4 or moving on into Kanto.

Furthermore, I did some testing with the Goldenrod haircuts with time manipulation and keeping an eye on Eevee's happiness through PkHex, and it appears that the 500p haircut only raises happiness by 1 point per haircut. I was expecting the boost to be a lot better than that....

Furthermore, I did some testing with the Goldenrod haircuts with time manipulation and keeping an eye on Eevee's happiness through PkHex, and it appears that the 500p haircut only raises happiness by 1 point per haircut. I was expecting the boost to be a lot better than that....
Not according to this

Reactions: Xen

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Not according to this
Ah, guess that would explain it. I kept getting the “Eevee looks a little happier.” Message, so it was only going up by 1.

I wasn’t aware the happiness gains were actually randomized. Also interesting that the cheaper brother seems to be the more effective brother (if I’m reading the chart right).

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Been playing Gold recently and didn't realize until I got to Tohjo falls that Feraligatr doesn't learn Waterfall. This isn't really a bad thing for it since it learns enough HMs as it is and it wants Ice Punch, but posting since GGFan mentioned it.

atsync

Where the "intelligence" of TRAINERS is put to the test!
is a Pokemon Researcheris a Contributor to Smogon
I've done some more write-ups! Not as many this time - GS playthroughs have been slower, what with USUM and other things providing a distraction, and they may become slower still.

Note that this is for Gold/Silver only. Crystal changes the viability of a couple of these, mainly Shellder and Exeggcute.

My next run-through will test the Weedle, Tentacool, Vulpix, Snubbull and Jynx lines.

Drowzee

1516016063222.png

Comparisons between Drowzee and Abra are inevitable since they function in similar ways, both being pure Psychic-types with access to a strong typing to get STAB on and great coverage with the elemental punches. But obviously Abra blows Drowzee out of the water in most respects. The main issue I had with Drowzee is that it's very weak prior to evolution. Drowzee is quite weak and slow, easily the weakest member of my team at that point, and often failed to KO stuff even with super-effective hits. It also has a relatively slow initial grind.

I found that Drowzee started to take off when it evolved (level 26). It started to become more reliable at KOing stuff and of course its coverage against important trainers is exceptional. As an advantage over Abra, its physical attack is equal to its special one and it can therefore make some use of physical attacks to extend its versatility. Technically I consider this point mostly moot because its special move pool is more luxurious and already provides it with plenty of coverage, but Shadow Ball does at least allow it to swat away opposing Psychics, particularly an opposing Abra/Kadabra!

I notice that Boxwood has made a comparison between Hypno and Nidoqueen, and I actually don't think that this is unreasonable – they do play somewhat similar roles and are similar in power and speed (Nidoqueen technically wins in this regard, but not by much). However, I don't really agree that they are similar in efficiency for one simple but very important reason: growth rates. While Hypno (in the Medium-Fast group) requires less total experience than Nidoqueen (Medium-Slow) to reach level 100, Nidoqueen actually grows much faster through-out the lower levels, and certainly faster across the range of levels that Pokemon will be at throughout a standard playthrough of GSC. This gives it an easier initial grind (grinding a Nidoran-F is much easier than grinding a Drowzee, believe me) and also helps itself and it team mates in the long run. That's without mentioning the evolution to Nidorina, who is more capable than Drowzee is. I would also argue that access to Double Kick gives it a leg up since it helps against the first gym it'll be able to participate in (Nidorina is hardly beating Miltank but can work against the rest of the gym), although this argument could be countered by Drowzee having an edge against Morty's gym, where Nidorina is essentially useless – I personally consider the Normal gym to be the more important of the two gyms though. Of course, Drowzee is perhaps safer against some of the other Johto gyms too.

I would say its current placement in C tier is probably justifiable.

Dunsparce

1516016084766.png

Dunsparce is a swarmer which complicates its acquisition. But in Dunsparce's case its status as a swarm Pokemon is especially important.

Normally we can just say: "well, we can use the DST trick to get around that so that shouldn't be a huge problem." But in this instance, it's not that simple. Part of the problem is that to do the DST trick, you first need to get the appropriate phone number. In Dunsparce's case, said phone number is found on Route 33, after Union Cave and well after Dunsparce is first acquired, so you would first need to skip past Dark Cave and progress through the game until you reached Hiker Anthony, get the phone number, and then walk all the way back to New Bark Town to do the trick. From there, you then need to go to Dark Cave to catch Dunsparce, and then you'll need to grind a level 4 Dunsparce for 10 or so levels to get it going. That's some investment!

Alternatively, you could try your luck and hope to encounter a Dunsparce without a swarm, which might pay off but is a huge gamble. Out of interest, I decided to test methods. When using the non-Swarm method, I was very fortunate and managed to find one in about 10 minutes. I was less fortunate when I failed to catch it due to a badly-timed crit, and then I spend over an hour to find the next one which I did catch. If anything, this experience demonstrated well just how risky attempting to catch Dunsparce in this way is to you time. By comparison, the more grindy swarm method took about 40 minutes from getting Anthony's phone number to having Dunsparce at a good level for battling. I consider the DST trick route to be superior just because it's more reliable and so should be taken into account when considering its availability in tiering, but that is a lot of time at that point in the game (I could very well be on the way to Ecruteak and beyond by then had I not bothered).

As far as battling performance is concerned, Dunsparce is actually decent. Early-game, it happens to benefit from its combination of high bulk and STAB Rage – it was able to beat Faulkner and Bugsy with this method and it even managed to sweep Whitney by itself (note that this isn't reliable because it depends on Dunsparce accumulating lots of Rage boosts from Clefairy's Double-Slap, but it was still amusing to observe). Later on, it can use Headbutt and Return for a more reliable option, with Dig to cover almost everything that resists it, and it happens to work ok as a route sweeper with some match-up utility, although it is a bit slow.

Ultimately though, I consider Dunsparce to be one of the worst Normal-types, possibly on par with Togepi, simply because of its availability issues: too much time and effort involved to get it, and with insufficient pay-off.

Exeggcute

1516016105512.png

This thing is killed by the horrid initial grind it's forced to go through. A wild Exeggcute literally only has Barrage for attacking options at the start and the amount of time it took to get this to level 19 for Confusion is absurd. I think this alone is enough to keep it in the lower tiers because nothing it could do can really make up for the time you lose to get it going. It's ok on routes once it gets Confusion but its power definitely starts to lag later on in Johto and will stay that way until it evolves.

To give credit where it's due, Exeggcute can do some cool stuff in selected match-ups. Its various supporting moves (mainly Leech Seed and Reflect) definitely softened up Whitney's Miltank and it even managed to stall Clair's Kingdra to death with Leech Seed (resists Water and can tank Hyper Beam to take advantage of the recharge turns – for some reason it refused to use Dragonbreath). It also has a good match-up against Chuck's Poliwrath. So, um, enjoy those perks should you choose to use this piece of crap.

I find this idea intriguing, but I would not recommend it. Too much set up involved in my opinion, and ultimately I don't think it properly addresses the main problem with Exeggcute, which is the immense time involved in getting it going.

Goldeen

1516016142111.png

Goldeen is a fairly generic Water-type. It does the usual Water/Ice/Normal thing that most Water-types are able to do and it is OK on its own merits, but at the same time it is difficult to justify selecting it over the many other Water-types that exist in this game. The only thing Goldeen has to distinguish itself is its above average attack…and very few moves to use it with.

There are two ways in which you could obtain and use the Goldeen line. The first way is to fish it up early with the Old Rod. Goldeen can be found in the ponds in Union Cave which is awfully convenient, especially when you take its relatively high catch level into account. It really can just be added to a team with little potential time cost compared to some of the other options that are available to you at this point, which can only be a plus.

This sounds decent on paper: it has Peck as a default move which sets it up nicely for Bugsy's gym, and then it gets Horn Attack pretty early for a decent Normal attack (it can't learn Headbutt). But in practice it is underwhelming. UnSTABed Peck from 67 Attack is not the greatest option for attempting a Bugsy sweep, and its match-ups against Whitney and Morty aren't impressive either. Horn Attack is probably roughly equivalent to Quilava's Headbutt in damage output which won't allow for too many OHKOs on routes.

Another problem with the Old Rod method is Goldeen's late evolutionary level of 33 – Goldeen probably won't be evolving until around the 7th gym/Goldenrod Rocket Encounter, depending on team size.

The other method for using the Goldeen family (and in my opinion the superior one) is to treat it like you would Tentacool and just wait until wild Seaking can be caught. Seaking is first obtainable by Surfing on the ponds on Route 42 which is literally next door to Ecruteak City (i.e. no huge side-track involved to get it) and it is found at a minimum of level 20 and as high as level 24, which means it'll need little to no grinding. From there it can learn Surf immediately and it'll have Horn Attack from 92 Attack to at least fend of opposing Waters (it can't get Ice Punch but can settle for Icy Wind eventually). This method basically avoids the Goldeen phase in exchange for later acquisition, which doesn't mean much since Goldeen isn't doing much during that time in the first place. It also has the same advantage as the Old Rod method of requiring little time investment.

Seaking is just decent. Its underwhelming Special Attack hurts it a bit but otherwise it can still do ok just spamming Surf where appropriate while occasionally turning to Horn Attack/Return and Icy Wind for coverage. Personally, I would say that Goldeen/Seaking is probably comparable to something like Mantine, who is obtainable at roughly the same time and also has similar issues with standing out among the overcrowded Water-type gang (Mantine offers comparatively stronger Surfs but is far worse than Seaking at taking down opposing Water-types and is in a slower experience growth group). So probably wherever Mantine ends up being tiered, Goldeen can just go in that tier too (as is the case currently).

Natu

1516016162886.png

This isn't too good. The main thing bringing it down is its move pool, which contains no Psychic moves prior to the Elite 4, and very limited options to utilise its good Special Attack. It's stuck with Peck and Night Shade initially which is simply inadequate (the fact that Night Shade is legitimately its strongest attack at times is depressing). It also requires a back-track to obtain, although this is arguably offset by its high catch level.

The only thing that stops Xatu from being complete trash is that its physical attack is usable. Xatu will eventually get Fly and it might have access to the Swift TM too. This allows it to work like an inferior Spearow/Pidgey without the STAB boost on Normal (and it actually has more Attack than Pidgeotto and Noctowl, and is only slightly behind Pidgeot in this regard). Of course, it will get access to Psychic eventually and that gives it an interesting role compression niche, although by then it only has Kanto ahead of it and it's hard to appreciate this niche at that point in the game (fwiw it also gets Giga Drain and SolarBeam).

It's definitely nearer to the lower end of the tier list. It just takes too long to get a good move set on it, but it is solid during the post-game.

Nidoran-F

1516016231681.png

Very good Pokemon. Well rounded stats, grows quickly, and has a wide move pool to give it offensive versatility. It's really easy to slap this on to a team since it's readily available and grows fast, and its move set can be mixed and matched to suit the team, so it'll pretty much fit in any playthrough.

Nidoran-F obviously faces competition for a team slot from its male counterpart, but it must be said that the differences between them are even less than in RBY. Nidoran-M's advantage back then was Horn Attack over Scratch for the early routes, but the existence of Double Kick from the start and the Headbutt TM nullifies this. Nidoran-M still beats it in stat distribution, although I consider this to be irrelevant most of the time – may as well just use whichever one you find first.

There are criticisms to be made about Nidoran-F. It lacks good STAB throughout Johto, and there is that back-track for the Moon Stone, but that is less than 5 minutes for the return trip so I don't care about that much. More concerning to me is its shaky defensive typing for match-ups, with its Water and Ice weaknesses hurting it somewhat against Chuck, Pryce and Clair, and its Psychic weakness giving it problems against Will. That's on top of its awful showing against Morty. Clearly Johto match-ups aren't its strong point, although it is excellent against Jasmine and has Double Kick to assist against the Goldenrod gym. It can also work against Koga and Bruno to an extent.

Looking at the current tier list, I view the Nidos as borderline A/B tier Pokemon. On the one hand, they are among the easiest and most convenient Pokemon to use, with minimal time and resource cost, but I also think they have issues with Johto match-ups that bring them down a bit.

Onix (with trade)

1516016249045.png

This section will probably be quite long, but there are a lot of issues to discuss that are related to Onix and the best way to utilise it that I feel obliged to bring up.

There are two ways to go about obtaining Onix: the in-game trade one in Violet City and a wild-caught Onix in Union Cave. At first glance, the in-game trade Onix is clearly superior because it arrives slightly earlier and of course gets boosted experience. This point in particular is a huge asset for a Pokemon obtained so early in the game.

But there is one very important reason why you might want to use a wild-caught Onix instead: obedience. The outsider Onix will stop obeying you properly from the moment its level goes above 10, and it'll stay that way until you beat Bugsy. This can make using Onix a pain and is especially relevant at this point in the game since it prevents Onix from being as good of a counter to Bugsy as it could have been (although I would say it is still advantageous overall). Onix also becomes an even worse choice for Faulkner since Rock Throw is learned well above the level 10 cut-off for obedience. Catching a wild Onix allows you to avoid the obedience problem, and it also makes Onix a more reliable counter to Bugsy, which makes it a considerable option.

Thankfully, the obedience problem is temporary and will almost certainly never rear its head again, so there is a pay-off in the long run. Personally, I still think the in-game trade Onix is far superior despite the obedience problem. It's important to note that Onix will often beat things it could already beat anyway since it still walls them – it's just that it will take a bit longer than normal because it'll randomly use the wrong move or will skip turns for a while. But once you get past Bugsy, the issue is completely behind you and the boosted experience is there for the taking.

There is one other issue that needs to be discussed as it relates to Onix's viability: evolution.

Onix needs a Metal Coat to evolve. There are two guaranteed Metal Coats in GSC, but both are post-game, with the one on the S.S. Aqua being the earliest one. This is obviously problematic for Onix because Onix is rather weak, and being stuck in that form for the whole of Johto is pretty bad. Consider that Onix is a Rock- and Ground-type, and also consider previous assertions by various people about Geodude dropping off slightly during the second half of Johto. You're in for a rough time.

There is one other option available to get around this, but it isn't a great one: obtain Metal Coat from a wild Magnemite encounter. Magnemite is obtainable at roughly the time that Onix's typing starts to become less useful, so it seems reasonable to evolve it right there if that option is available. Unfortunately, finding a Magnemite with a Metal Coat is no easy task. Magnemite has a 20% encounter rate on Route 38, but only a fraction of those hold a Metal Coat. The odds of finding one with Metal Coat are probably less than the 1% chance of encountering a Snubbull on the same route outside of a swarm (the odds can be increased slightly using the Repel Trick).

Now, you could try grinding for Metal Coat right away, but keep in mind that you will not have any way to know if a Magnemite has a Metal Coat just by looking at its sprite, and as far as I know, you will have no access to Thief or any other methods to screen for this. Therefore, you will be required to catch each Magnemite you encounter, and if you don't get it you'll have to reset and try again. This will be very time consuming and is exacerbated by the fact that Magnemite has a flee chance, albeit a relatively low one. If you do go this route, it may be wise to bring some Fast Balls (these Balls are glitched but Magnemite happens to be one of the 3 Pokemon for which the catch rate boost is applied).

A more sensible approach (and the one that I took) would be to at least wait until the Thief TM is obtained from the Mahogany Rocket Hideout and then using that to check for Metal Coat. This approach is more time-efficient and the fleeing problem is resolved as well. It means having to use Onix unevolved for a little bit longer but Onix will still be useful for the Rocket Grunts at least (you don't have to challenge Pryce right away either, assuming you want to use Steelix there). Note that the Thief approach is still very time-consuming though. In this particular attempt, it took just over 2 hours which is just awful.

I am of the opinion that trying to get an early Metal Coat is simply not viable. The amount of time that you are risking is too great, and the pay-off is…just ok. Steelix is certainly stronger than Onix and does better in selected match-ups, but at the same time it still has troubles in other match-ups (Poliwrath, Kingdra) and is also burdened with awful Speed, and prior to Earthquake it's move pool is a bit bare. And so with that in mind, I think it is only reasonable to assume that someone using an Onix in an efficient run will probably be using an Onix for the entirety of Johto and will then have Kanto to use Steelix if the option to trade is available.

From there, it's just a question of how much we penalise Onix if it can't be traded, given that Steelix will only have its advantage during the post-game. I suppose a tier difference is justifiable depending on how much weight is given to performance in Kanto. It's worth noting that Onix does have some use in some Kanto match-ups, including against Lt. Surge, Janine and Blaine, but Steelix will do better against Sabrina and others (but worse against Blaine) and probably has more use overall.

Now in regard to how Onix performs in Johto (aside from the obedience thing), obviously it shares a lot in common with Geodude and mostly performs the same role, excelling during the first half of Johto (where it can use its resistance to wall a lot of trainer Pokemon) but dropping off towards the end of it. Onix's damage output is noticeably worse than Geodude’s though. In this particular run-through, my level 18 Onix actually failed to OHKO Bugsy's Scyther with Rock Throw by a sliver of health which was depressing (Onix ultimately lost because it chose to disobey my commands for the rest of the battle). Onix also has a slightly worse move pool than Geodude since it gets Rock Throw slightly later and lacks Magnitude (Dig is its strongest STAB for Johto assuming no evolution). One advantage Onix does have is better Speed; Onix is not a Speed demon by any means but it is noticeable when Onix is able to out-speed random Gastlys and such when Geodude cannot. Mostly Onix is inferior to Geodude though, and its tiering will inevitably have to reflect that.

Ultimately I think Onix has a lot of flaws, with the main one being its mediocre damage output, but I think the ace-in-the-hole that saves it from the bottom tiers is its boosted experience. It's a godsend for a Pokemon like Onix that has to be more selective in its opponents, and of course it's great support for team mates since less battle time for Onix means more experience available for them. It also does decently during early Johto and will be able to do something against Team Rocket later on.

Scyther (no trade)

1516016269361.png

Scyther is a fairly straight forward Pokemon and is actually pretty good. Its move pool is a bit lacking but it has good Attack and Speed and is a great route sweeper.

Scyther is highly similar to Heracross. Both are Bug-types that have limited options but carry enough power to function just fine with Headbutt. Scyther is a little weaker than Heracross and arrives just a bit later, but compensates with more Speed and, most importantly, an actual STAB option in Johto in Wing Attack at level 30, which gives to better match-ups against Chuck and Bruno.

Ultimately, I consider the two Bugs to be interchangeable and I think they should rank side-by-side on the tier list – I don't think one is better than the other and it's basically just a case of picking your poison.

Just a note about Scizor: evolving Scyther comes with the same problems that I outlined in Onix's section, but in this case it isn't as big of a problem. Scizor has certain perks over Scyther but it doesn't represent a clear improvement, and if anything, you just lose the STAB boost on Wing Attack along with some Speed, just to gain some extra resistances for Kanto match-ups and a bit more Attack. If we must have separate entries for traded and untraded Scyther then so be it, but these too will just end up in the same tier.

Shellder

1516016289970.png

A reminder here that I'm talking solely about Gold and Silver, not Crystal. Shellder is an excellent example of a Pokemon where this distinction matters.

This is because Shellder is among the shittiest of the mid-game Waters in GS. It is slow and weak, and it is extremely vulnerable to special attacks – even non-STABed Bites from Golbat can 2HKO it easily. Its main move pool is basically the default Water/Ice move pool, with which it has 45 Special Attack to use these moves, and it doesn't have much of anything to distinguish itself with, aside from perhaps its very good physical defence.

As a mid-game Water-type, Shellder is in a privileged position despite its flaws. It comes at level 20 with the Good Rod and so requires little grinding and costs little of your time to add to your team, and it has access to STAB Surf right away. It also comes with Aurora Beam which makes up for the lack of Ice Punch somewhat, and it has the usual good match-ups against Steelix and Piloswine.

Its attributes as a mid-game Water-type probably make it "better" than many of the other "bad" Pokemon by default. It's just so weak though – far worse than any of the other Water-types I've tested thus far. An easy low tier.

Spearow

1516016309261.png

I've noticed that Spearow has made to jump into S tier and I'm actually glad that it did. I agree that it belongs with the big boys. I won't say too much about Spearow other than to say it is by far the best Normal in the game, Kenya or not. I tested both and consider each of them to be excellent, and if you really wanted to you could possibly use both in a single playthrough (using early-game Spearow to assist a Totodile with Grass-types and then dump it for Kenya, for example).

Sudowoodo

1516016324868.png

This is definitely an interesting Pokemon. I would say that it's definitely in the upper half of the tier list. It misses out on the first half of Johto but makes up for this with its catch level being unusually high for a non-Rod Pokemon. It also has an expansive move pool. STAB Rock Slide at level 28 is amazing in GSC, but it also has Low Kick, Headbutt and Dig as default options (along with the elemental punches, but it can't use them too well).

Sudowoodo's main flaw is probably its awful Speed which leads to it accumulating chip damage on routes, although it is decently strong and is bulky enough to take some hits. It'll appreciate healing item support regardless. Sudowoodo's match-ups are also a bit hit-and-miss: Chuck and Clair are bad but it can contribute against Jasmine and Pryce, and it does well against Team Rocket and Koga.

The thing that gets me the most about Sudowoodo is that it gives Graveler some serious competition for a team slot during the time in which it is available. Geodude obviously beats it in the availability category and benefits for Ground STAB, but Sudowoodo is far less vulnerable later on in Johto because of its lack of 4x weaknesses, and it also benefits from a better STAB option in Rock Slide earlier on (Graveler will get Earthquake eventually). There may be something to the idea of using Geodude during the first half of the game where it's at its best, and then dumping it for Sudowoodo later on.

Wooper

1516016342018.png

I mentioned this in a previous post but I'm sort of uncertain about how to best use this.

Wooper is available very early and it is tempting to catch it then with Union Cave coming up. Wooper is indeed useful for these opponents and is a nice partner for Cyndaquil for this reason. But beyond this Wooper starts to feel a bit weak. It doesn't seem to do enough damage with its STABs (prior to Dig at least) and Slam is ass, and it's also pretty slow. It only really takes off when it evolves at level 20, with Headbutt and Ice Punch provide only a slight improvement in the meantime.

Because of this, it makes me wonder if it's better to just wait until Quagsire is catchable in the wild and use it that way instead. It's sort of hard to say because Wooper is slightly weak at times early-game and it would be convenient to skip this period if possible, but at the same time it does work well as an early-game partner for Cyndaquil (removes Rocks) and Chikorita (beats Fires) and it'll evolve eventually and be much better as a result.

It should be said that Quagsire is awesome. Water/Ground is an excellent typing, giving it plenty of resistances and few weakness, while also giving it great types to receive STAB on. Between Surf, Dig and Ice Punch, Wooper is not lacking in moves, and Earthquake at level 35 is incredible. The only "flaws" that Quagsire has are low Speed and a lack of Water and Ice resistances (mainly matters against certain Dragons with particular coverage moves, but the Electric/Thunder Wave immunity could be seen as good compensation).

As far as Wooper's tiering is concerned, I am starting to become less convinced it deserves to be ranked above the other Water-types (bar Totodile of course). Up to this point I considered Wooper to be a clear second to Totodile as far as viable Waters are concerned, mostly because of its availability, typing and "early" STAB Earthquake, but at this point I see Wooper as being at a similar level as the likes of Lapras, Tentacool (wild Tentacruel), Psyduck (wild Golduck) and Qwilfish, and probably some others that I've forgotten. Technically this would still make it 2nd to Totodile, but just level with other Waters and not 2nd outright. This would still be a decently high ranking for Wooper, but I do think the gap between Totodile and Wooper is more pronounced that I previously believed.

Been playing Gold recently and didn't realize until I got to Tohjo falls that Feraligatr doesn't learn Waterfall. This isn't really a bad thing for it since it learns enough HMs as it is and it wants Ice Punch, but posting since GGFan mentioned it.
The funny thing is that a lot of the "good" Water-types lack Waterfall. Quagsire, Lapras and Tentacruel all miss out on it, for instance.

Last edited:

Karxrida

I think Scyther is marginally better than Heracross, actually. Having STAB is a major plus for neutral match-ups, especially since Wing Attack has high PP with decent power and gets a boost from
the Zephyr Badge. Scyther's also in the Medium Fast EXP group compared to Heracross's Slow, making it easier to train.

I don't think these perks are enough to place Scyther higher, though.

Last edited:
When playing through this I also always end up going with a cyndaquil + sentret combo. Typhlosion double punch + return (and eventually earthquake) is perfectly capable of clearing all threats from that point on. Sentret is a convenient early game mon that doesn't fall off since it functions as such a good hm slave. And I don't like grabbing crappy water types.

I'm going to probably sound like a major voice of dissent... but I think Kenya and Spearow in general is too highly rated. Like I understand that it is convenient, and works well... outside of the insanely bad hard walls against rock and steel. Of which a large number occur in rapid succession just past the Eruteak fork. Now... being walled because you don't do much damage to them is one thing... but then the reverse stab SEs get you pretty damn hard.

I personally think that the hard walling issue is sufficiently bad that they shouldn't be considered anything better than A at best.

Perhaps it's more an issue that when I'm thinking of the top tier pokemon, those are the ones that can basically carry all the way through with minimal support in battle. Because we can all end up massively overleveled with a sufficiently tight team, this then resorts to what pokemon deal with walls the best. For example... if spearow had any way to deal with physical steel/rock walls... in the way that Magicarp+, tauros+, nido+, and well... almost all the other physical mons do, then it would be a different story. Seriously though... Spearow's move pool is so awful that until lvl 38... (or high friendship, but at that point just use crobat) it's best neutral move is swift... and for Mr. Ghost Gym that peck ftw (well pursuit does almost identical damage, but yeah).

Also not sure I see how the difference between cyndaquil and totadile is worthy of a different tiering. Particularly in crystal.

I'd personally rate sentret over spearow.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I'm going to probably sound like a major voice of dissent... but I think Kenya and Spearow in general is too highly rated. Like I understand that it is convenient, and works well... outside of the insanely bad hard walls against rock and steel. Of which a large number occur in rapid succession just past the Eruteak fork. Now... being walled because you don't do much damage to them is one thing... but then the reverse stab SEs get you pretty damn hard.
The only Steel-types you'd encounter at this point are Magnemites, which are owned by 2 important trainers in Silver and Jasmine. While Fearow has no business facing Jasmine's Magnemites unless it is feeling incredibly ballsy, Silver's Magnemite (or even Magneton later) can be solo'ed with Mud-Slap, especially since it is unlikely to OHKO you with a measly Thundershock. I don't know what Rock-types you're talking about that you encounter past the Ecruteak fork, but literally the only Rock-type I see is a Geodude owned by a Hiker, and even then he has a Diglett and a Dugtrio so Fearow still bodies 2/3 of his team.

Perhaps it's more an issue that when I'm thinking of the top tier pokemon, those are the ones that can basically carry all the way through with minimal support in battle. Because we can all end up massively overleveled with a sufficiently tight team, this then resorts to what pokemon deal with walls the best. For example... if spearow had any way to deal with physical steel/rock walls... in the way that Magicarp+, tauros+, nido+, and well... almost all the other physical mons do, then it would be a different story.

I personally think that the hard walling issue is sufficiently bad that they shouldn't be considered anything better than A at best.
The thing is that there simply aren't enough of these Pokemon around to give Fearow a hard time. The only mandatory Rock-type fights before post-game are Bruno's Onix and Lance's Aerodactyl. Jasmine is the only problematic mandatory Steel-type fight in the game, because Silver's Magnemite/Magneton is a pushover. You're kinda overblowing the disadvantageous matchup here, especially considering Spearow's great to neutral performance against everything else. DPP Infernape has to deal with numerous Water-type matchups, particularly Gyarados, and that doesn't hold it back from S.

- Seriously though... Spearow's move pool is so awful that until lvl 38... (or high friendship, but at that point just use crobat)
- it's best neutral move is swift...
- and for Mr. Ghost Gym that peck ftw (well pursuit does almost identical damage, but yeah).
- So you're telling me to jump through the several hoops needed to make Crobat even remotely worth using, instead of just keeping the already adequate enough Spearow (both wild and Kenya) around long enough to make Return naturally powerful?
- Also don't single out Spearow for its poor level-up movepool when damn near everything and their mothers in GSC are TM-dependent, and Spearow should be fortunate that it pretty much has all it really needs to sustain itself: Peck -> Fly, Swift -> Return, Mud-Slap, and finally Drill Peck to skewer Bruno better.
- Against Morty, I'd say that Mud-Slap Fearow is the 2nd best Normal-type (after Girafarig) to tackle that Gym with since you can screw up their Hypnosis while having adequate damage and speed (compared to other options), and Fearow doesn't need you to go out of your way to the east and then backtrack to make use of it.

I'd personally rate sentret over spearow.
Sentret's only claim to fame is learning a funky combination of HMs in Cut, Strength, and Surf (and that is ONLY if you do not wish to saddle your Gatr with Normal-type HMs), but Cut is only needed for Ilex Forest, at which point Furret gets outclassed by so much other Strength + Surf users such as Tauros, Miltank, Quagsire, the Nidos, Gyarados, Lapras, Golduck, Slowbro, and the aforementioned Feraligatr, all of which have better stats while being able to use at least one of those HMs for considerable offense. Fearow, on the other hand, is one of the best route-cleaners in the entire game while being able to put in mild to massive work in all important fights. Apples and oranges my friend.

Last edited:
Crobat was memeing... I don't actually recommend dealing with it. Like coolness is the only reason to use it.

DPP Infernape has coverage. Fearow doesn't. Fearow's mudslap is worse than Crocknaw's water gun and much worse than Quilava's ember (who can also learn mud-slap if you really feel like that)

Barriers to fearow:
  1. In addition to that which you mentioned
  2. Steelix in Jasmine (which knows rock throw for that double insult).
  3. Eusine's Electrode (assuming you don't get lucky with misses).
  4. Koga's Forretress
  5. A decent number of optional route trainers with gravelers etc (lower level of union cave are 'good examples', if you want to get early lapras)
  6. Almost everything in the last two gym leaders is a significant threat to 2hKO Fearow (or one shot on a crit), even though not a hard wall.
  7. Post game: Brock, Lt. Surge (same issue, plus Magneton)

Sentret's claim to fame is:
  1. Evolving super fast with immediate availability.
  2. Learning headbutt (and thus/indirectly a stronger stab than fearow until 40, which helps with it's slightly lower attack).
  3. Having an actually good move pool for gen 2 for attacking
  4. Having an actual good move pool for HM/Utility (including dig, headbutt, and HMs)
The point is that Furret is stronger early, and always has a niche, no matter what starter you run. What's the point of using a spearow if you go cyndaquil? Fly slave, and that's it? At least hoothoot/natu can learn flash lol.

This isn't to say that spearow is bad... But S is too high. A is a stretch even, since it's effectively completely unusable at a story vital point without a great alternative that in order to be successful would also be capable of completely replacing it. Basically, it doesn't have a good niche, and requires significant support that isn't instantly given to you, unless you farm out the shiny (and/or suicune) and backtrack.

Also mareep is pointless if you go cyndaquil, not that it is any implicitly worse... just not useful.

Oh, and a final claim that people will probably be upset about.... Cyndaquil is the better starter if you do sprout tower before Violet Gym, which I think almost everyone here will do (which is 90% of why cyndaquil is the ideal choice in HGSS where it is required).

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Before I begin my point, Colonel M Spearow is still in A Rank as well as S Rank.

DPP Infernape has coverage. Fearow doesn't. Fearow's mudslap is worse than Crocknaw's water gun and much worse than Quilava's ember (who can also learn mud-slap if you really feel like that)
First off, the need for powerful coverage is vastly different between GSC and DPP, namely how you can just power through the majority of the game with STAB Return; even stuff like Girafarig and Stantler sit in B Rank for that quality. Also, I could even say GSC Fearow has comparable performance to Platinum Staraptor, minus Close Combat in a game where there are minimal Rocks and Steels to fight anyway. Like if you want to talk about Fearow's unfavorable matchups:
Barriers to fearow:
  1. In addition to that which you mentioned
  2. Steelix in Jasmine (which knows rock throw for that double insult).
  3. Eusine's Electrode (assuming you don't get lucky with misses).
  4. Koga's Forretress
  5. A decent number of optional route trainers with gravelers etc (lower level of union cave are 'good examples', if you want to get early lapras)
  6. Almost everything in the last two gym leaders is a significant threat to 2hKO Fearow (or one shot on a crit), even though not a hard wall.
  7. Post game: Brock, Lt. Surge (same issue, plus Magneton)
2) Obviously Steelix isn't a good matchup for Fearow, but being able to somewhat cheese the fight with Mud-Slaps against Steelix's imperfectly accurate moves is a lot better than what other Normal-types such as Girafarig, Stantler, and Raticate can even hope to accomplish.
3) Well yeah, but Croconaw has an even worse matchup against Electrode in comparison due to less power and lack of Mud-Slap to cheese vs Thunder, so are you going to hold that against Croc? You could have a Gatr at this point, but if you want to bring overleveling into the equation then Kenya wins this race ages ago.
4) Like against Morty, I dare say Fearow has one of the better matchups against Koga's Forretress among all the Normal-types available. For one, you can actually hope to do some damage with one of your STABs, but with both Mud-Slap and Fly, you have the chance to cheese (btw yes I'm gonna be using this term a lot) against Explosion.
5) Two things here: even if you want to take unnecessary detours into the equation, the fact that you're trying to reach Lapras means you have a Surf mon in your party, meaning there is zero need for Fearow to battle here. The more important note is that the route leading to Lapras does not have the Hikers you speak of; just the PokeManiacs and Cooltrainers. Please conduct your research a bit more thoroughly, thanks.
6) Unless your Fearow is overleveled (though in Kenya's case, this may very well happen), I shouldn't expect Fearow to clean sweep through the whole of Pryce's Gym, though it should be able to beat Seel and/or 1v1 Dewgong. In Clair's Gym, Fearow is not at risk of any of the trainers since the strongest move they have is Dragon Rage (though I guess Thunder Wave is a concern), but Fearow still has an easier time in this Gym than say, Typhlosion, and can even attempt to go head-to-head with Kingdra with either powerful Returns (should you 2HKO, you win 1v1) or Mud-Slap to hopefully push it back.
7) While you barely elaborated on this point, this is probably your most compelling argument in that Fearow experiences a bit of fall-off in the post game since it's already hits its peak, and the power creep of the post game can cause Fearow's only adequate power and low bulk to show. However, Fearow's strong STAB moves in Return (stronger than Miltank's) and Drill Peck help to keep its power relevant, so it's not like it's the end of it.

Sentret's claim to fame is:
  1. Evolving super fast with immediate availability.
  2. Learning headbutt (and thus/indirectly a stronger stab than fearow until 40, which helps with it's slightly lower attack).
  3. Having an actually good move pool for gen 2 for attacking
  4. Having an actual good move pool for HM/Utility (including dig, headbutt, and HMs)
1) This trait is let down by Sentret's poor stats and level-up movepool (Quick Attack at level 11? smh). Compared to Rattata's broken early level-up moves in lv7 Quick Attack & lv13 HYPER FANG and Spearow's Sprout Tower massacre, Sentret is going to have a harder time reaching level 10 before those two have already breached lv 11-13.
2) The Swift TM is in Union Cave, far before you can access to the Headbutt TM which you have to fight through the Rocket grunts, Bugsy's Gym, and the rival beforehand. This puts Spearow ahead in the power curve while Sentret needs to the evolution AND the Headbutt TM to surpass it (and then fall back again once Spearow evolves).
3) You only need to have good or at least workable stats + a good STAB or two in order to get rolling in GSC. On this note, Furret makes a far worse user of Return than a huge majority of other available Normal-types, much less Pokemon in general. I can't fathom what your standards of in-game GSC are to have you consider Furret as a more worthwhile attacker than Fearow.
4) You're vastly overestimating the importance of HMs and especially field TM moves to consider lugging around a mediocre Pokemon the whole way through until their time of use. If you want a Strength + Surf slave, you can just go scoop up the Good Rod at Olivine City, fish up a Krabby, and you're golden; Krabby also has Whirlpool and even gets Cut should you ever decide to revisit it for w/e reason. The Headbutt and Rock Smash TMs are both purchasable at Goldenrod, and even then it's not like those TMs net you good value anyway.

The point is that Furret is stronger early, and always has a niche, no matter what starter you run. What's the point of using a spearow if you go cyndaquil? Fly slave, and that's it? At least hoothoot/natu can learn flash lol.
From what I can see here, you're considering Furret as an actual in-game attacker while treating Fearow as the HM slave. Is it opposite day already? Also LOL FLASH

This isn't to say that spearow is bad... But S is too high. A is a stretch even, since it's effectively completely unusable at a story vital point without a great alternative that in order to be successful would also be capable of completely replacing it. Basically, it doesn't have a good niche, and requires significant support that isn't instantly given to you, unless you farm out the shiny (and/or suicune) and backtrack.
Man I don't even know where to begin with this.
- Sure, Fearow doesn't have a good time against Jasmine, which I assume is the 'story vital point' you're referring to, but even Fearow has a shot of contributing against Jasmine, compared to Typhlosion in Clair's Gym.
- Its niche is that it is one of the best Normal-type attackers and especially Flying-type attackers available, able to beat down a huge majority of non-important trainers with ease.
- Fearow requires extremely little babying so I don't know what you're on about. Wild Spearow gets the Mud-Slap and Swift TMs in quick succession and the Return TM is close to Kenya. Wild Spearow shreds through Sprout Tower and most regular trainers, while Kenya can get some mad training in the Bug-catching contest which is right around the corner. Both allow Spearow to get more and/or easier happiness levels than any other Return user. Fearow then gets Fly which not only functions as another decently powered STAB, but also allows easy trips to the Goldenrod Haircut brothers to keep Return's power consistently high without wasting any time or an extra teamslot to do so (I know how keen you are on this considering your repeated emphasis on Furret's HM movepool which 'saves teamslots', even though many Pokemon function as fine attackers even with those said HMs). All of this support is super easy to access, so I don't know how much more "instantly given to you" does it have to get for you to be content.

Also mareep is pointless if you go cyndaquil, not that it is any implicitly worse... just not useful.
So covering Water-types as well as being bar none one of the very best Pokemon to 1v1 Clair's Kingdra with doesn't sound useful to you? I dare say Mareep is arguably the 3rd best partner to go with Cyndaquil, second only to early Wooper.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)