Walrus Holy Walrus, Batman!

In 16th place with 4.5 points: vonFiedler

Love At First Sight - Kylie Minogue

I don't really like when women try to sing like this. This sort of high pitched, almost childlike style. If this is her natural voice and she sings like this all the time, then I'm sorry, but I can't get behind it. Not to mention it's boring lyrics and subject matter. I like the beat though.

In 15th place with 4.7 points: Pidge

Do You Realize?? - The Flaming Lips

Another song that suffers from really boring lyrics. I kinda liked the beginning and I thought it was gonna be this cute little love song, but then it turns into this pseudo philosophical message about life or whatever. You'd think with such a heavy subject matter, they'd put a little more thought into the lyricism.

In 14th place with 4.8 points: Blazade

Cockroach King - Haken

So I thought this song had a cool start. When I heard the layered voices against no instrumentals, I was interested in seeing where this would go. Then the instrumentals kick in and...yeah. I don't like them. Idk, I guess I just find them boring. Shame too, because I like the symbolism + references in the lyrics and the singers' voices. The song's length just hurts it, because there are parts where there's no singing and the instrumentals are not interesting enough to carry this song for me. I think there are a few times where they were decent enough, but this is an 8 minute song and I find that I tend to get bored before those parts even come up.

In 12th place with 5 points: Shubaka17

The Sound - The 1975

This isn't really outright awful lyrically or vocally, but for some reason, nothing about it sticks out to me. I almost rewarded you a bit more points due to the fact that I had a part stuck in my head...then I remembered the part was the one that adheres to the "repeat stuff" rule of songwriting, so of course I remembered it, and I was like "nah that doesn't deserve more points lol"

In 11th place with 5.2 points: Granny Pie

Fireflies - Owl City

So I actually think this song is kinda cute. There's something about the childishness of it that I like, it kinda feels nostalgic, in a way. Idk why I like being reminded of childhood considering the fact that my own childhood was shit lol. I actually like the images I get from this song. That being said, I think my interest in it has diminished over the years. It's harmless and cute, but not much else. I think it's nice to listen to when I wanna let my thoughts drift somewhere else, but it doesn't have much use outside of that.

In 10th place with 6 points: Texas Cloverleaf

Bat Out of Hell - Meatloaf

Keep in mind that I didn't have as much time to listen to this as others, so this score may not be so polished. But uh, I will say that this was able to keep my interest. When I saw how long it was, I got nervous, but I was able to listen to the whole thing without really getting bored enough to quit it. I do think it could be shorter though, and I like some parts less than others. Idk what to say about this really, other than I think it's fine. I can't really articulate how I feel about it, I just know I dont really love this fsr. I've actually listened to a little bit of Meatloaf before and kind of always came out of it thinking "well, all right." Maybe he's just not for me. But I was entertained enough to listen to the whole thing, at least.

In 8th place with 6.8 points: Connor

Stupid Cupid - Connie Francis

Aw, this is cute. I really like her voice too, except for when she does that thing whenever she says "cupid." The lyrics are simple, but not necessarily boring, and I think it adds more to the song's charm here. I can't really explain why it does that here compared to some other songs I've had to listen to for this cat, it just does for me. Maybe it's because I like the instrumentals and her voice so much. I guess it also helps that it's a relatively short song. Though it also doesn't leave much of an impression on me outside of being a silly love song.

In 7th place with 6.9 points: Eagle4

Let it Happen - Tame Impala

I think my biggest complaint is that I don't really love his voice, though I also don't hate it either. Otherwise I actually like this quite a bit. It's melancholic but not in an emo way. On a personal note, it kind of reminds me of what it's like to deal with depression/anxiety in a way, so I sort of relate to it as well.

In 5th place with 7.5 points: atomicllamas

Tennis Court - Lorde

I'm surprised at how much I like this song. I've found myself singing it quite often. I do think it suffers a bit from sounding kinda like Royals at times though. I also really like Lorde's voice. This song almost kind of makes me wanna listen to some of Lorde's stuff, when I previously was completely uninterested in her.

In 4th place with 7.7 points: LightWolf

Radio Ga Ga - Queen

I feel like this is one of Queen's weaker songs. I can't quite explain why, but I just don't love it as much as I love some of their other stuff. Definitely not a bad song though.

Last edited:
In 2nd place with 8.7 points: Lord Gaius

Time2 - Pharoahe Monch

LG damn near won the cat because this song led to this conversation:

20170725_034022.png

Which in turn led me listening to more of Pharoahe Monch's stuff. I love this guy now. This song is solid. Relatable subject matter, nice flow, good lyrics. There's some interesting ideas in this song. The repeated hook is kind of haunting, and while the stuttering threw me off at first, I found myself digging it upon relistens. I think it feels appropriate in a song about ptsd and anxiety, like the person is panicking in that moment.

In 1st place with 9.1 points: Asek

It Ain't Hard to Tell - Nas

Man how the fuck did I miss out on Nas for so long. I should've listened to him sooner, this some good shit. Idk what else to say man, I just love it so much. I also had a conversation with the friend in the screenshot above after listening to this song and he recommended some more. Consider me a fan.

Mentioned this in the discord channel, forgot to mention it here. Category 2: Year One reveal is happening today at 7 pm EDT. And yes, I promise it is happening, as I have finished scoring and doing writeups. My apologies for the delay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)