How you differ online from IRL

I really dislike the notion of wearing a "mask" on the internet, so I do my best to be as close to my real self as possible online. For this reason, I like to believe that my writing style mirrors how I speak. However, text-based communication, especially on proper forums such as this one, lends itself to people writing more drawn-out arguments and thoughts instead of the back-and-forth conversation that we see in real life, and I think the difference really shows. In real conversations I stammer a lot, and I often restart a sentence halfway through saying it because I talk faster than my brain can decide what to say. On the internet, though, I can put as much time as I want into a post, and nobody will know how long I spent writing it because they just see it instantly appear on their screen. For this reason, I think I'm generally a bit more confident online than in real life, since I know that nobody can criticize me for not having anything to contribute to a conversation.

What can I say, though - I have a relatively low postcount per day compared to other Smogonites, and in real life I'm an introvert, so I usually prefer to listen and observe instead of speak.

Conni

katharsis
I seem to be talkative on smogon and discord, but actually I am very quiet irl, I've been actually called "sinister" once as I always seem to glare into people's souls, but if they know me irl, they'll know that I'm actually easily approachable despite my lack of talking. I don't really talk much irl because I think that it wouldn't be necessary to be chatty as that it would just be better to get straight to the point, although I personally don't mind chatty people. I only talk when I absolutely need to, there was one time in life I was completely mute but that was just for the lols, I just think that it would be better not to go off topic much while being chatty and be straightforward so the people who talk to me get what they want or hear want they wanted to, although that doesn't I don't talk in detail, if necessary I do talk in detail like when we have to explain reasoning or methods, yes I also laugh, I'm not that dark :(

I'm a bit more of an asshole of people who give me a bunch of bs on the internet than I would offline, probably because there's not a bunch of other people that I won't have to worry losing a reputation over. Otherwise I think I'm the same, insecurities and everything are clearly on display if you talk to me past a debate forum lol.

Last edited:
I'm much more sarcastic and blunt off the internet, and I'm extremely introverted as well. I've never had all that many friends growing up as a result of being as introverted as I am.

WYSIWYG with me, almost entirely - only I don't use acronyms IRL TBH (interesting topic BTW!)

I've found my real-life self feeds more into my online version than the reverse - mostly, this displays itself via how I approach language online. While I'm a *personal* believer in using decent English and coherent sentences, where available - not to force that on anyone, but hey - you lose a lot in translation from real-life to online with the loss of tone, body language, expressions, context... so even if it would make my English teacher, wherever he is, roll his eyes, I'll happily throw proper syntax and formatting out the window if I think doing it another way gets my point across better.

For example:

...i like butts,
:0

Last edited:
I wear so many hats in real life that there are many different versions of "me" but I wouldn't say that my online persona is much different than any of them. I'd say that some of the things that differs would be that I'm way more reserved around strangers in real life and a lot less personal about things in my life even to my closest friends. The anonymity online makes me feel a bit more comfortable airing out my feelings and problems without feeling like it'll impact how people see me. I met my best friend Jessica online and we grew to be very close because of that removed barrier and I'd think that she would say that I'm pretty much the same person online as well as off. (I think that's a better measurement than self-evaluation)

I don't.

I am very quick to leap into things irl and jump to conclusions too quickly. I have a bit of a short tempter but I like getting things done. Most ppl here know me as blunt and im the same way irl as well.

Wandering Wobbuffet

formerly Based Honker
I actually speak more IRL. Meanwhile on smogon I rarely ever post. I guess it's very much due to the fact that I just don't have much to say and my opinions wouldn't really contribute to conversations or feel welcome but whenever I used to post it usually got ignored.

I'm a lot moodier irl. It's easier for me to be calm and kind online as well because there isn't as high of a risk of getting insulted as easily. I'm also a lot more defensive of people online. I also tend to put up a fight more. So in some ways, I'm less moody and in others I'm more. It's odd.

Flare

ENDURANCE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I tend to be more open minded and expressive online rather than IRL, mostly because the country where I live is pretty old fashioned and would find my way of saying things a bit weird.

I'm generally much kinder and sweeter in real life.
I'm just about the opposite in real life. I'm not totally mean or anything, but I'm definitely not as kindhearted in real life. I've kinda got a really thick skin and don't tend to deal with people's BS. Not only that, but if you do happen to get on my bad side, I can easily become a Regina George in sheep's clothing.

Otherwise, I'm pretty outgoing and funny. Some days just I like to keep to myself, but most of the time I'm out doing things with friends. And if there's alcohol involved, I'm usually there

Zodiax

not this
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
This is actually an interesting topic

IRL it depends on whom I'm actually interacting with. If it's someone that I've never met before then at first I try and get to know them even though I can be shy, however once I've gotten to know them I can be a very outgoing person and can happily joke around with.

Online it honestly depends on the situation, back when I was involved with YouTube I'd like to stay friendly and give advice to people who needed it, on PS it can be the same, I love a good joke with people I know, however if I don't know you and you are pissing me off then you'll most likely get locked by me

Both Online and IRL I am very strongly opinionated and whatever I think I will happily say it to your face or on a forum post and you may or not be offended by it, but I have a big heart I do promise!

i'm really laid back in person and don't get overeager really quickly + i talk a lot, maybe too much. like i'm a nice person and people come to me with their issues when online i go to everyone else hahaha. i'm pretty well-liked irl i'd say and i talk a lot more there than here. i guess a similarity is that i dont give a single fuck what people think of me here or irl. pretty interesting thread overall tho. o:

I am reserved, introverted, and quiet around new faces. However, I tend to open up around people I'm close to and have this goofy, laid back, and dorky personality. Pretty much how I act online. I don't like restraining myself online and I love to be as mischievous and a bit of a button pusher.

I'm basically the same online and irl except the fact that irl, I'm a bit more sarcastic and more prone to losing my temper over something minor.

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
In real life I'm a pretty big introvert so I'll usually only talk to people I know well but online my shyness is offset by my passion for my online activities and I have little trouble striking up conversations with people.

I act very similarly both online and IRL, although I care less about being judged online, so I tend to be a little more stupid. In both I essentially just try to make jokes and usually fail to make anyone laugh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)