SM UU I think I’m missing something here (UU)

Excuse my laziness with the post as I am posting from my phone and not at a stand alone computer.

As an introduction, I have been playing comp. since late GenIV and took breaks here and there because of real life or just a general lack of wanting to play a substantial amount of time. However, I have always loved the UU tier the most. So, now I’m back to the grind trying to get to the highest point on the UU ladder that I can. With that being saigd, please take the time to critique my team as best and as nicely as possible. :)

Zeraora @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Volt Switch
- Drain Punch
- Grass Knot
My typical lead generally most games played. I love this Poké so much. He brings a lot of utility with the fast volt switches and is a great pair for both Volcanion and Pidgeot-M due to being able to absorb electric attacks that would otherwise potentially wreck them. Drain Punch helps with his frailty as he becomes more vulnerable with the residual LO damage. Grass Knot is also there to mess with enemy Ground types, primarily Swampert.

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Protect

Since being introduced to Pokémon at Age 7, Pidgeot has always been one of my favorite Pokémon, although until GenV GF always brushed him under the table. So him being tossed into UU with his Mega just FUELED my excitement. No Guard Hurricanes and Heat Waves are nothing to snuff at. U-Turn is there to create a voltturn core with Zeraora. Protect is there for a free Mega Evolution if I think I would need it. Although, I think I could benefit from something else other than that. So I’m up to ideas there.

Chesnaught @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Spiky Shield
- Toxic
- Seed Bomb

My Physical wall. With STAB Drain Punches he’s able to maximize his longevity while whittling away at what he’s intended to stop with Rocky Helmet and Spiky Shield. Add Toxic to the mix and it’s honestly kind of messed up the things he can pull off. Seed Bomb is there for a general STAB move and offers a good dent of damage to boot.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Iron Head
- Protect

Registeel acts as an obvious Sp.Def wall. With decent bulk and still hitting about 330 Def with no investments it’s pretty good into a portion of the meta game and packs great utility in his move kit. STAB Iron Heads are aimed SOLELY at Fairy types that no one really likes, while being able to absorb that damage due to pure Steel typing. Toxic, Protect, and Stealth Rock are general moves as he provides both switch in support with the latter, and options to damage the opponent with the former and mid.

Volcanion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Volcanion is my counter to Fire Types that hurt Registeels performance while also being able to support Terrakion with Water Absorb to take care of those pesky Water types. Steam Eruption and Fire Blast are STABs of obvious choice, as the former provides 30% Burn Chance much like Scald but dealing TONS more damage. Earth Power and Hidden Power [Ice] are coverage moves I have chosen in the event of a couple of scenarios. One being Zeraora gets taken out and need a new way to deal with Electric types if I want to take him out instead of forcing the opponent to switch by throwing either of my two offensive checks in. It also deals well with a good portion of the rest of the tier as does HP Ice. Assault Vest is there to add more bulk as he lacks decent recovery aside from Water Absorb.

Terrakion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Poison Jab

Terrakion is a fun Pokémon to have. He packs decent Speed, Attack, and decent bulk along with Assault Vest. It’s really fun to keep him in on an otherwise obvious switch and KO the opponents Pokémon. Most of his move set is generally self explanatory. I decided to go Close Combat instead of Sacred Sword only for more power. Poison Jab is my crux in this whole team as he is my Fairy revenge killer. Along with coverage against Grass types, the Poison Chance is nifty to have.

So this is my team, I just started playing again a few months ago, so I’m not too high on the ladder right now, but I am currently at 1178ELO. Any questions or advice is obviously welcome and I hope you enjoy my wacky theories.

Dumb Sir

Banned deucer.
Hey, saw this team and It really interested me, so while I wait for my game to start, I'll be giving you some pointers that will hopefully push this team to Lit Status.

Major Changes:
<

Tentacruel over Registeel: Immediately, the main problem I saw with this team was the lack of hazard control, so Tentacruel pretty much fits the niche very nicely. It also provides a Toxic immunity just as Registeel did, but Cruel has the added benefit of also removing TSpikes on switch in.
<

Latias over Volcanion: With this team, I saw great potential for a hazard spam comp, so without a doubt Gigavolt Havoc Latias fits this team perfectly. Also, this team lacks Ice Type coverage as it stands, again supporting my choice of Latias.

Minor Changes:

Roost over Protect: Protect used to be a staple on Mega Pidgeot and most other Megas, but the change that gives Megas their speed immediately makes Protect almost useless on Megas that are not Absole, Diancie, or Sableye. Roost gives Mega Pidgeot an easier time against residual damage. like Sand damage and Stealth Rocks.

Spikes over Seed Bomb: Chesnaught is an extremely potent Spikes setter, giving this team the residual damage it needs to get going. I also think Seed Bomb is redundant, seeing how Zeraora already has Grass Knot, and Swampert, Gastrodon, and Seismitoad are that that good right now, though Swampert is on the rise, if just slightly, so keep that in mind.

Offensive Rocker over Assault Vest: I'll keep my thoughts here concise. Overall, AV is not that good of a set for Terrakion, and Offensive Rocker is a much better Stealth Rock setter for this team than Registeel.

Conclusion:
The revisions I have made will hopefully makes this team more suitable to brunt the current meta. I tried to keep the main idea of the team, but now it just has better methods to function. Good luck laddering, and stay frosty~

(Click on spirtes for importable)

Last edited:
Sup radxdaddy I really love where you were going with this BO team. I'm not 100% certain what you built around, but based on your description for Pidgeot and Zera I rated this around that core. You picked a pretty cool Voltturn core to build around to support hard hitters like Volcanion and Terrakion. There are a few issues I do see with the team, the main one being a lack of hazard removal on a team consisting of Pidgeot + Volcanion. This would be less detrimental if it was a Spikes team, but your Chesnaught isn't utilizing said move. Registeel also saps up a lot of momentum on this team, even if it provides excellent defensive utility. The team also lacks a form of speed control. I now you have Pidgeot and Zeraora, but you can't rely on them to handle fast threats like DD Mega-Altaria, Mega-Aerodactyl. You also look susceptible to a few threats like Hydreigon, but I will take this into account for the rate. Finally there are a few odd sets, but that isn't anything that can't be fixed.

Major Changes:

>
: So Klefki gives the team a less passive steel type than Registeel, but also maintains a potential Spike user. The Fairy typing is extremly useful for handling dragon types in the tier like Hydreigon and Latias. Thunder Wave gives the team a bit more speed control allowing you to handle some offensive threats. I opted for Magnet Rise to ease the Mamoswine and DD EQ Malt match-up.

: Hydreigon gives you a scarfer which helps handle a lot of faster threats while giving you a VoltTurn core with Zeraora as I plan to change the Pidgeot set. It helps check or revenge Pokemon like Celebi, Daunt, Terrakion etc. Fire Blast helping it handle Scizor and other steel types which is great for M-Pidgeot.

>
: The purpose of this change is to ease your match-up against Pokemon like NP Ape, Scizor, Cobalion and Prima now that some of your bulky walls have been swapped out. It also provides some hazard removal in the form of Rapid Spin which is great for M-Pidgeot. Very standard set with Sludge Bomb for the added poison chance. The EV spread just lets it outpace Adamant Mamoswine as Jolly variants aren't very common or popular and the Rotom-H benchmark isn't too necessary with Hydra + Terrak.

Minor Changes:

: AV Terrakion isn't a good set for this Pokemon. Instead I made it an SD variant to make the most out of its power. Stealth Rock was shifted onto this Pokemon as well for compression. Seeing as the Z-move is free I gave Terrakion the Rockium-Z to it allowing it to break Malt, Amoonguss, Tentacruel etc. better.

: I personally think Work Up Refresh Pidgeot is one of its best sets and it fits nicely here. It helps ease the stall match-up for this team without being reliant on Terrakion to break through it. It doesn't forfeit much by dropping Heat Wave as most steel types lack recovery, so they don't like taking the chip that well. Roost is pretty essential on this Pokemon to keep healthy allowing it to also set-up on bulkier Mons.

: So you only need 192 Spe to outpace Manectric, which opens up some EV investment elsewhere. I placed it into SpA just to make the most out of Volt Switch and Grass Knot. I also changed it to a Naive Nature for it to better take Physical attacks like Scizor BP. A coverage option to consider is using Knock Off over Grass Knot which forfeits its match-ups against ground types but provides more utility to a team. Removing Eviolite from Gligar etc. You seem to like Assault Vest a lot and it can work well on this Pokemon if you value the utility it can provide more than the LO dmg. The set will be provided in the import if you want to give it a try, either work fine. S/o to vivalospride for the set.

<Click Sprites for Importable>
Overall I think these changes keep the aspects you were going for with your original squad without losing as much momentum as before. The team is obviously weaker to threats like Terrakion with removing the Chesnaght but you can offensively pressure the Mon very easily + Klefki helps a lot with managing faster threats like it and Mega-Aero. I hope you like the suggestions and if you have any questions just let me know ^_^

Sup radxdaddy I really love where you were going with this BO team. I'm not 100% certain what you built around, but based on your description for Pidgeot and Zera I rated this around that core. You picked a pretty cool Voltturn core to build around to support hard hitters like Volcanion and Terrakion. There are a few issues I do see with the team, the main one being a lack of hazard removal on a team consisting of Pidgeot + Volcanion. This would be less detrimental if it was a Spikes team, but your Chesnaught isn't utilizing said move. Registeel also saps up a lot of momentum on this team, even if it provides excellent defensive utility. The team also lacks a form of speed control. I now you have Pidgeot and Zeraora, but you can't rely on them to handle fast threats like DD Mega-Altaria, Mega-Aerodactyl. You also look susceptible to a few threats like Hydreigon, but I will take this into account for the rate. Finally there are a few odd sets, but that isn't anything that can't be fixed.

Major Changes:

>
: So Klefki gives the team a less passive steel type than Registeel, but also maintains a potential Spike user. The Fairy typing is extremly useful for handling dragon types in the tier like Hydreigon and Latias. Thunder Wave gives the team a bit more speed control allowing you to handle some offensive threats. I opted for Magnet Rise to ease the Mamoswine and DD EQ Malt match-up.

: Hydreigon gives you a scarfer which helps handle a lot of faster threats while giving you a VoltTurn core with Zeraora as I plan to change the Pidgeot set. It helps check or revenge Pokemon like Celebi, Daunt, Terrakion etc. Fire Blast helping it handle Scizor and other steel types which is great for M-Pidgeot.

>
: The purpose of this change is to ease your match-up against Pokemon like NP Ape, Scizor, Cobalion and Prima now that some of your bulky walls have been swapped out. It also provides some hazard removal in the form of Rapid Spin which is great for M-Pidgeot. Very standard set with Sludge Bomb for the added poison chance. The EV spread just lets it outpace Adamant Mamoswine as Jolly variants aren't very common or popular and the Rotom-H benchmark isn't too necessary with Hydra + Terrak.

Minor Changes:

: AV Terrakion isn't a good set for this Pokemon. Instead I made it an SD variant to make the most out of its power. Stealth Rock was shifted onto this Pokemon as well for compression. Seeing as the Z-move is free I gave Terrakion the Rockium-Z to it allowing it to break Malt, Amoonguss, Tentacruel etc. better.

: I personally think Work Up Refresh Pidgeot is one of its best sets and it fits nicely here. It helps ease the stall match-up for this team without being reliant on Terrakion to break through it. It doesn't forfeit much by dropping Heat Wave as most steel types lack recovery, so they don't like taking the chip that well. Roost is pretty essential on this Pokemon to keep healthy allowing it to also set-up on bulkier Mons.

: So you only need 192 Spe to outpace Manectric, which opens up some EV investment elsewhere. I placed it into SpA just to make the most out of Volt Switch and Grass Knot. I also changed it to a Naive Nature for it to better take Physical attacks like Scizor BP. A coverage option to consider is using Knock Off over Grass Knot which forfeits its match-ups against ground types but provides more utility to a team. Removing Eviolite from Gligar etc. You seem to like Assault Vest a lot and it can work well on this Pokemon if you value the utility it can provide more than the LO dmg. The set will be provided in the import if you want to give it a try, either work fine. S/o to vivalospride for the set.

<Click Sprites for Importable>
Overall I think these changes keep the aspects you were going for with your original squad without losing as much momentum as before. The team is obviously weaker to threats like Terrakion with removing the Chesnaght but you can offensively pressure the Mon very easily + Klefki helps a lot with managing faster threats like it and Mega-Aero. I hope you like the suggestions and if you have any questions just let me know ^_^

I like these suggestions a lot. I’ll definitely check it out and see where I get at! Thank you!

Hey, saw this team and It really interested me, so while I wait for my game to start, I'll be giving you some pointers that will hopefully push this team to Lit Status.

Major Changes:
View attachment 170005<View attachment 170003
Tentacruel over Registeel: Immediately, the main problem I saw with this team was the lack of hazard control, so Tentacruel pretty much fits the niche very nicely. It also provides a Toxic immunity just as Registeel did, but Cruel has the added benefit of also removing TSpikes on switch in.
View attachment 170004<View attachment 170002
Latias over Volcanion: With this team, I saw great potential for a hazard spam comp, so without a doubt Gigavolt Havoc Latias fits this team perfectly. Also, this team lacks Ice Type coverage as it stands, again supporting my choice of Latias.

Minor Changes:
View attachment 170007
Roost over Protect: Protect used to be a staple on Mega Pidgeot and most other Megas, but the change that gives Megas their speed immediately makes Protect almost useless on Megas that are not Absole, Diancie, or Sableye. Roost gives Mega Pidgeot an easier time against residual damage. like Sand damage and Stealth Rocks.
View attachment 170000
Spikes over Seed Bomb: Chesnaught is an extremely potent Spikes setter, giving this team the residual damage it needs to get going. I also think Seed Bomb is redundant, seeing how Zeraora already has Grass Knot, and Swampert, Gastrodon, and Seismitoad are that that good right now, though Swampert is on the rise, if just slightly, so keep that in mind.
View attachment 169999
Offensive Rocker over Assault Vest: I'll keep my thoughts here concise. Overall, AV is not that good of a set for Terrakion, and Offensive Rocker is a much better Stealth Rock setter for this team than Registeel.

Conclusion:
The revisions I have made will hopefully makes this team more suitable to brunt the current meta. I tried to keep the main idea of the team, but now it just has better methods to function. Good luck laddering, and stay frosty~

I like these suggestions a lot. I’ll definitely check it out and see where I get at! Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)