Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Recover
- Defog
His role is fairly simple, a fast defog to compromise for no entry hazard setters on my team, and then to dent as much damage into the opponent as possible with a 394 sp.atk stat before boost by soul dew.

Celesteela @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
I usually lead with Celesteela because of his great typing he can start well with many pokemon, as well as punish setup pokemon with automize and then a z-move which usually guarantees to activate his beast boost allowing him to start sweeping.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Trick
- Drain Punch
His role is a wallbreaker, his main stab move is hyperspace fury which will break through the common protect on bulky pokemon, or he can use trick cripple tanks using moves like protect or stealth rocks as well. The choice scarf was given because of how powerful his attack stat is without boosting, so the choice scarf allows him to easily sweep multiple pokemon despite his mediocre speed. He is also used to switch into psychic pokemon for lopunny

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind
- Flamethrower
His role is to use unaware to stop our team from getting easily swept by stat boost pokemon, he can then setup on pokemon dealing under 50% easily with a calm mind moonlight combination. Flamethrower is to give decent coverage to common steel type switch ins.

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare
Once Serperior starts going with leaf storm he is extremely dangerous, I switch him in on weakened pokemon that he can outspeed and then easily setup to double sp.atk. Glare is used for pokemon that can outspeed serperior.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Power-Up Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Encore

Fakeout is used to get an automatic mega evolution, used with high jump kick can sweep many pokemon. Encore and power up punch I chose to setup easily on pokemon using healing moves, but does cost him in lacking coverage for psychic and flying types.

HO is mainly defined as having 4 main roles:
1.) Suicide Lead
2.) Wallbreaker x2
3.) Set Up Sweeper x2
4.) Cleaner.
This team need some changes to achieve HO stats. First up is your dedicated Suicide Lead.
>
or
>

Whether you chose Greninja or Azelf as your Suicide Lead is up to you.
Greninja is able to get up to 2 layers of Spikes or 1 layer of Spikes and 1 layer of Toxic Spikes

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Ice Beam

or

Azelf @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Skill Swap
- Explosion

Next on the list is the wallbreakers:
>
&
>

Seeing how you wanted Hoopa-Unbound to be your wallbreaker, why not maximize on damage instead. And changing Latios to Mega Charizard Y to better help you against weather teams.

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Band
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Fire Punch

Charizard-Mega-Y (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Next is the Set Up Sweepers:
>
&
>

Life Orb Mimikyu provides the team with a physical presence behind a substitute due to it's ability. Next is Magearna over Serperior due to the coverage Magearna gets and having the chance to raise it's speed by 2 stages to help it better sweep.

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Shadow Claw

Magearna @ Fightinium Z / Icium Z / Electrium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast / Flash Cannon

Lastly for the team to be complete is a Cleaner:
>
or
>

If you chose Garchomp, then it would mainly used as an offensive presence while being able to outspeed base 100 and below. Excadrill would be for more of support to help Mega Charizard Y to break through walls and remove hazards on your side of the field.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

or

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Rapid Spin

These are major changes but I hope they help you out to better understand Hyper Offense.

Stoward

Ah, you're finally awake
Hey dragocarp . You're off to a good start, however, like you've said in the title of this thread, your team needs to have quite a few adjustments.

I'll start by addressing the biggest issue that your team has. It's an offensive team without Stealth Rock. Stealth Rock is a crucial move to have on any sort of team, even other playstyles appreciate rocks, as it punishes every single mon who switches out (with the exception of those with the ability magic guard). Also considering that there aren't many mons who aren't either (a) worn down by hazards every time they switch in (e.g) tapu fini or (b) take about 25% of their health every time they switch in (e.g) zapdos, pelliper and mantine or (c) easily trapped by an opposing mon (latios, Skarmory, Scizor), it really makes hazard stacking good in the ou metagame.

Before I continue, I have to apologise that I'm going to need to change this to a more bulky offense/balance sort of team in order to preserve the mons that you have there. If I were to change it to a hyper offense, I'd most likely be changing 5 of the 6 mons that you have on that team, which would defeat the purpose of rating your team. However, if you were to make it a bulkier team, here are the changes I'd recommend:

MAJOR CHANGES:

>
Hoopa-U isn't nearly as threatening in Gen 7 as it was last Gen. The increase in fairies, as well as just faster mons that check hoopa, such as tapu koko and greninja, as well as the fact that the general speed of scarfers at the moment is >101 Speed, means that scarfed Hoopa-U really doesn't make a great wallbreaker. Instead I'd suggest using Ash Greninja. This allows you to still have a solid wallbreaker, but also gives you access to priority, a better late-game win condition, and also means that you're not quite as susceptible to being revenge killed by Dugtrio (as you currently have no hazards, so sash dugtrio doesn't really care about whether hoopa-u is scarfed or not). I'd recommend running the standard Ash set which has 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 SpD and a Timid Nature and the item as Choice Specs, with the moves Water Shuriken, Hydro Pump, Spikes, and Dark Pulse. Water Shuriken is Greninja's priority move so is really good for dealing with faster threats and other priority users. Hydro Pump and Dark Pulse are Greninja's main STAB moves, and with choice specs, they deal a hell of a lot of damage. Also due to the nature of Greninja's ability, it forces a lot of switches, so Spikes is a useful move to punish those switches, as it deals damage to any grounded mon that wishes to switch in.

>
With Mega Swampert being released and Pelipper gaining the Drizzle ability, Rain has become a significant aspect of the OU metagame and something that every team has to prepare for. While Serperior's typing does allow for this, unfortunately its defenses aren't amazing, so therefore it dies to ice punches from Swampert and ice beams and draco meteors from Kingdra before it is able to punish them back. Mega Venusaur, However is easily able to deal with both of these mons and punish them accordingly. The set I'd recommend is 232 HP, 216 Def, 44 SpD and 16 Spe, and regardless of the poison typing, your defenses allow you to deal with zygarde equally as well as serperior. The moveset I'd recommend is Giga Drain, Hp Fire, Sludge bomb and Leech Seed/Synthesis. Giga Drain allows you to OHKO Mega Swampert and deal significant damage to Kingdra. Sludge Bomb punishes fairies, HP Fire chips damage away at Steel types such as Magearna, Ferrothorn and Scizor, who don't care about Venusaur's main stab moves, and leech seed is a secondary form of recovery, and synthesis also helps Venusaur regain health, however it isn't as spammable since it has 8PP and also recovery is varied dependant on the weather.

>
I know they serve completely different roles, and I can never recommend having two megas, so therefore I've had to remove Lopunny. Mew is a great mon on just about any team. The set I'd recommend is the standard analysis set, which runs 252 HP, 144 Def and 112 Spe and a Timid Nature with Leftovers, with the moveset, Ice Beam, Will-O-Wisp, Soft Boiled and Defog. It punishes physical setup mons with will-o-wisp, removes hazards and Aurora Veil (which is always nice, considering how annoying that is to face) with defog, Punishes common hazard setters and Zygarde with Ice Beam and is able to increase its longevity with soft boiled.

MINOR CHANGES:

While I see where you were going with unaware Clefable, as it does act as a brilliant cleric on Stall teams, I believe you'd be better off using Magic Guard Clefable with Stealth Rock, Knock off, Moonblast and Soft-boiled, with the standard EV spread of 252 in HP and Def, and 4 in SpD. While Unaware is a great ability, you should still have enough pressure and counterplay to be able to deal with the majority of setup sweepers anyway, running Magic Guard also provides you with better recovery, not limiting you to either wish + protect or moonlight, which only has 8PP so isn't exactly spammable

While you mentioned that Latios is a nice, fast defogger. What the team is actually lacking at the moment is decent speed control, so therefore, I'd recommend changing the Latios Spread to a Choice Scarf set with Draco Meteor, Psychic, Trick and Thunder Wave*. I also recommend changing the nature of Latios from Modest to Timid, since this allows you to be able to revenge kill a +1 Zygarde, Charizard X and Volcarona, as well as beat other common scarfers such as Garchomp, Keldeo and Infernape. I've left Thunder Wave with an asterisk, as this can honestly be changed to whatever coverage move you see fit, as this was initially defog, but I don't see the need for double removal on this team.

I know that the main win condition here was initially Celesteela, back when this was a Hyper offense team, however a defensive set has better synergy with Clefable and just more appropriate on bulkier teams. So I'd recommend using the standard set with leftovers, and the EV spread of 252 HP, 124 Def, and 132 SpD, with a Bold nature so that Celesteela's defense gets boosted every time it gets a kill. Leech Seed forces switches and gives you recovery, Heavy Slam is your primary stab move, Protect pairs well with Leech Seed for further recovery and Flamethrower hits ferrothorn and other grass types which aren't phased by leech seed or heavy slam, as well as forcing steel types out.
I know that's a lot to take in, so here's an updated version of the team:

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Trick

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 248 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Flamethrower

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Greninja @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD / 16 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Leech Seed
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Defog

Anyway this should provide you with a better start to SM OU. I will point out in advance that this team would definitely struggle with Charizard Y and Shift Gear Magearna, but apart from that, you should have a lot more success with it. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I quite enjoyed rating this team :) This is also the first time I've ever rated a team on smogon threads, so I'm open to any sort of feedback so I can improve on future rates.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)