Metagame Inheritance

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
The Banning Policy
To stop from derailing the thread with scp's banning policy, as The Ruins of Alpha stated, I will start this post off by saying I will be going back to "the way things were". What I mean by this is that I will be unbanning those donors associated with the broken abilities/moves and just straight banning the moves that have been proven time and time again to be uncompetitive. This means that the abilities Arena Trap, Imposter, Huge & Pure Power, Speed Boost, Water Bubble as well as the moves Assist and Chatter are banned. I left Dynamic Punch alone for now as I feel it is more manageable due to Ghost-types being immune to it and the lack of PP it has in comparison to Chatter, but if it proves to be a major nuisance, then I will end up banning it too.

Allowing Ubers as Donors
Onto my next point, the whole "inheriting from Ubers" thing, as I explained to Funbot28 on PS!, was done in the first place as you cannot use those mons as inheritors/receivers so it doesn't make sense to have them be allowed to donate their movepools and abilities while they are still banned within the metagame to be used. So for what it is worth, please refrain from bringing this up any more as my mind is made up and will not be changing for the foreseeable future. That being said, I do know that some Ubers aren't overpowered enough and thus can be unbanned within Inheritance and I will look into them once the council is formed (which should be soon).

Lastly, Some (More) Fun Sets
To end on a lighter note, I figured I would share some fun sets that I have found so here goes nothing.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
- Stealth Rock / Toxic Spikes

This set is really potent as it makes Gengar a fantastic and surprising Stealth Rock setter due to the power it has behind its attacks, allowing it to blow past common Defoggers. Gengar having base 110 Speed really helps this out too as it can outspeed a lot of walls with ease and keep up the momentum on an offensive team. The set is pretty straightforward with STABs, a plethora of coverage to choose from, and lastly whatever entry hazard you want with Stealth Rock being the universal one and Toxic Spikes being specifically to break bulkier teams.

Landorus-Therian
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Defog

This set uses a really unique donor I found for Landorus-Therian: Mantine. Mantine provides Landorus-T with a Water immunity, reliable recovery, and a reliable Flying STAB. For some reason, Mantine has a pretty colorful movepool as well, allowing Landorus-T to have Earthquake at its disposal and Defog, giving it major utility with a fantastic defensive typing due to it only being 4x weak to Ice-type attacks.

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Drain Punch
- Slack Off
- Toxic

I found this and the next set when I was looking for Mega Gyarados counters. While this does lose to the set that Jajoken posted above, it can take on any variant of Gyarados (Carracosta) due to its resistance to Waterfall/Liquidation and Knock Off. It also can keep itself healthy with Regenerator and Slack Off while phazing out any potential setup sweepers with STAB Dragon Tail. Toxic is pretty much filler, but it is nice to cripple a ton of Pokemon.

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell / Encore / Knock Off

This set focuses more on support and sustainability than a pure MGyara counter like the above set. This set gives Kommo-o a status immunity while allowing it to cure the status of its teammates and lay down Stealth Rock. Encore and Knock Off are nice options over Heal Bell if the team doesn't need the support since Encore can force setup sweepers to continue setting up, allowing you to switch into you Unaware walls while Knock Off can get rid of the opponent's Pokemon's items.

I am loving the discussion on Mega Gyarados and I want to see it continue. I am working on forming a council as I plan to have us vote on Mega Gyarados once we are formed (I was going to have a suspect for this, but decided it would be better to get a council together and go from there). Hopefully this answers your questions/concerns specifically at The Official Glyx and we can continue showcasing fun sets and keeping the Mega Gyarados discussion alive :)

Also, a non-mega Gyarados post, but THIS, ladies and gentlemen, was my prime mon that made me peak 3 times in ORAS Inheritance back then, and I believe it's not worse than it was. Sadly, when Inheritance became OMotM in SM, this mon is unreleased, so people don't see it's potential. Now that it's released, I NEED to share this beast.

Lucario (Medicham) @ Medichamite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch / Earthquake
- Extremespeed

BEHOLD, this thing breaks so many things in ORAS Inheritance. Who cares about Mega Gyarados when I have this beast? See this calc...

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 180-212 (52.4 - 61.8%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Toxapex: 148-176 (48.6 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde: 205-243 (48.8 - 57.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Offensively?

+2 252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 316-372 (99 - 116.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

See that? This, people, breaks some of the finest walls introduced in gen 7. Weakness of this mon is 4mss that needs EQ to hit Doublade. And well... kinda frail defenses. But other than that, this is a threat, people. You guys just didn't see it because it's unreleased when this meta was OMotM.

anaconja

long day at job
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Also, a non-mega Gyarados post, but THIS, ladies and gentlemen, was my prime mon that made me peak 3 times in ORAS Inheritance back then, and I believe it's not worse than it was. Sadly, when Inheritance became OMotM in SM, this mon is unreleased, so people don't see it's potential. Now that it's released, I NEED to share this beast.

Lucario (Medicham) @ Medichamite
Ability: Inner Focus
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Thunder Punch / Earthquake
- Extremespeed

BEHOLD, this thing breaks so many things in ORAS Inheritance. Who cares about Mega Gyarados when I have this beast? See this calc...

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 180-212 (52.4 - 61.8%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Toxapex: 148-176 (48.6 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde: 205-243 (48.8 - 57.8%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Offensively?

+2 252 Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 316-372 (99 - 116.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

See that? This, people, breaks some of the finest walls introduced in gen 7. Weakness of this mon is 4mss that needs EQ to hit Doublade. And well... kinda frail defenses. But other than that, this is a threat, people. You guys just didn't see it because it's unreleased when this meta was OMotM.
I have an alternative:

Linoone (Mawile) @ Mawilite
Ability: Quick Feet
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail
- Play Rough
- Gunk Shot

Better typing and better bulk, although twice as slow and doesn't get any boosting moves. Apparently, though, it doesn't really need them:

252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Iron Tail vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 202-238 (58.8 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde: 350-414 (83.3 - 98.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Iron Tail vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 408-481 (63.5 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 184+ Def Buzzwole: 332-392 (79.6 - 94%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 336-396 (105.3 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The thing letting it down is that it struggles against Toxapex and is really slow. Could work in a Trick Room team, though.

Reactions: nv
Slight tangent but I thought this was a cool alternative to Mega Gyarados last generation and I'm not sure how many other people have discovered it since.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover

A more offensive spread may be preferable for a pure stall matchup, as you can start getting kills before you get statused, but this defensive spread can be tricky to break for some teams, especially after a CM or two. Pre-Mega Levitate really helps provide setup opportunities, such as versus Grounds that can't touch you with neutral STAB (I can imagine most Landorus-T sets struggling here) and then Mega when you need to bust through Unaware. This is also an option:

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Baton Pass/Moonlight/Thunder Wave/Encore/Tailwind

You can run more Speed to outpace some stall mons but base 45 when Mega is pretty unsalvageable. Basically the above set but more specialized to brute-force wallbreaking, with some neat utility options in the last slot. Baton Pass can come in clutch if you're facing a more offensive team and something on your team actually has Speed to beat it. Moonlight provides recovery, pre-Mega Prankster Thunder Wave/Encore can come in clutch if a sweeper gets out of hand, and Tailwind means you might actually outspeed some (still pretty slow) things.

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
The Banning Policy
To stop from derailing the thread with scp's banning policy, as The Ruins of Alpha stated, I will start this post off by saying I will be going back to "the way things were". What I mean by this is that I will be unbanning those donors associated with the broken abilities/moves and just straight banning the moves that have been proven time and time again to be uncompetitive. This means that the abilities Arena Trap, Imposter, Huge & Pure Power, Speed Boost, Water Bubble as well as the moves Assist and Chatter are banned. I left Dynamic Punch alone for now as I feel it is more manageable due to Ghost-types being immune to it and the lack of PP it has in comparison to Chatter, but if it proves to be a major nuisance, then I will end up banning it too.

Allowing Ubers as Donors
Onto my next point, the whole "inheriting from Ubers" thing, as I explained to Funbot28 on PS!, was done in the first place as you cannot use those mons as inheritors/receivers so it doesn't make sense to have them be allowed to donate their movepools and abilities while they are still banned within the metagame to be used. So for what it is worth, please refrain from bringing this up any more as my mind is made up and will not be changing for the foreseeable future. That being said, I do know that some Ubers aren't overpowered enough and thus can be unbanned within Inheritance and I will look into them once the council is formed (which should be soon).

Lastly, Some (More) Fun Sets
To end on a lighter note, I figured I would share some fun sets that I have found so here goes nothing.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt
- Stealth Rock / Toxic Spikes

This set is really potent as it makes Gengar a fantastic and surprising Stealth Rock setter due to the power it has behind its attacks, allowing it to blow past common Defoggers. Gengar having base 110 Speed really helps this out too as it can outspeed a lot of walls with ease and keep up the momentum on an offensive team. The set is pretty straightforward with STABs, a plethora of coverage to choose from, and lastly whatever entry hazard you want with Stealth Rock being the universal one and Toxic Spikes being specifically to break bulkier teams.

Landorus-Therian
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics
- Roost
- Defog

This set uses a really unique donor I found for Landorus-Therian: Mantine. Mantine provides Landorus-T with a Water immunity, reliable recovery, and a reliable Flying STAB. For some reason, Mantine has a pretty colorful movepool as well, allowing Landorus-T to have Earthquake at its disposal and Defog, giving it major utility with a fantastic defensive typing due to it only being 4x weak to Ice-type attacks.

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Drain Punch
- Slack Off
- Toxic

I found this and the next set when I was looking for Mega Gyarados counters. While this does lose to the set that Jajoken posted above, it can take on any variant of Gyarados (Carracosta) due to its resistance to Waterfall/Liquidation and Knock Off. It also can keep itself healthy with Regenerator and Slack Off while phazing out any potential setup sweepers with STAB Dragon Tail. Toxic is pretty much filler, but it is nice to cripple a ton of Pokemon.

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell / Encore / Knock Off

This set focuses more on support and sustainability than a pure MGyara counter like the above set. This set gives Kommo-o a status immunity while allowing it to cure the status of its teammates and lay down Stealth Rock. Encore and Knock Off are nice options over Heal Bell if the team doesn't need the support since Encore can force setup sweepers to continue setting up, allowing you to switch into you Unaware walls while Knock Off can get rid of the opponent's Pokemon's items.

I am loving the discussion on Mega Gyarados and I want to see it continue. I am working on forming a council as I plan to have us vote on Mega Gyarados once we are formed (I was going to have a suspect for this, but decided it would be better to get a council together and go from there). Hopefully this answers your questions/concerns specifically at The Official Glyx and we can continue showcasing fun sets and keeping the Mega Gyarados discussion alive :)
This means bellyjet Gyarados is back. Prepare your stall.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Slight tangent but I thought this was a cool alternative to Mega Gyarados last generation and I'm not sure how many other people have discovered it since.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover

A more offensive spread may be preferable for a pure stall matchup, as you can start getting kills before you get statused, but this defensive spread can be tricky to break for some teams, especially after a CM or two. Pre-Mega Levitate really helps provide setup opportunities, such as versus Grounds that can't touch you with neutral STAB (I can imagine most Landorus-T sets struggling here) and then Mega when you need to bust through Unaware. This is also an option:

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Tail Glow
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Baton Pass/Moonlight/Thunder Wave/Encore/Tailwind

You can run more Speed to outpace some stall mons but base 45 when Mega is pretty unsalvageable. Basically the above set but more specialized to brute-force wallbreaking, with some neat utility options in the last slot. Baton Pass can come in clutch if you're facing a more offensive team and something on your team actually has Speed to beat it. Moonlight provides recovery, pre-Mega Prankster Thunder Wave/Encore can come in clutch if a sweeper gets out of hand, and Tailwind means you might actually outspeed some (still pretty slow) things.
I thought Mega Ampy was unreleased.

Also first Inheritance post yaaaa

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I have an alternative:

Linoone (Mawile) @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Tail
- Play Rough
- Gunk Shot

Better typing and better bulk, although twice as slow and doesn't get any boosting moves. Apparently, though, it doesn't really need them:

252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Iron Tail vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 202-238 (58.8 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Zygarde: 350-414 (83.3 - 98.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Iron Tail vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 408-481 (63.5 - 74.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 184+ Def Buzzwole: 332-392 (79.6 - 94%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Iron Tail vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 336-396 (105.3 - 124.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The thing letting it down is that it struggles against Toxapex and is really slow. Could work in a Trick Room team, though.
What about Lucario as the donor?
Extreme Speed, Swords Dance, Bullet Punch/Iron Tail, Earthquake

Screw being slow, you have priority and boosting moves, EQ is more important than Fairy so you can hit the Fire, Steel, and Poison types that would resist Fairy and your other STAB. Bullet Punch hits Ghosts/Rock types harder than Extreme Speed. Sorry Aerodactyl and Gengar

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok so I figured I would start this post off by announcing the official Inheritance council. Welcome Skelos and Funbot28 to the fold (s/o to Funbot specifically for being council in both my OMs lol). The council has been formed for quite some time and our first official decision has been on this whole Mega Gyarados situation. I was going to originally have a suspect test with it, but after being able to form a council, I decided we would have our first council vote to decide Mega Gyarados's fate in Inheritance.

We all came to an unanimous vote of 3-0 that Mega Gyarados is now banned from Inheritance.
Mega Gyarados is a massive threat due to the ability to Shell Smash with ease while blowing past its would-be checks due to access to priority from Carracosta or a reliable Flying STAB from Barbaracle. Mega Evolving also allows Gyarados to gain the ability Mold Breaker, which means it can muscle past Unaware users such as Suicune and Tapu Fini, giving it an overwhelming presence within the metagame. Most other Shell Smash abusers such as TorkoalTran can be stopped by certain Unaware users, but Gyarados's access to a Mega Evolution with Mold Breaker means it doesn't have to worry about being stopped and therefore becomes too powerful and restricting for the metagame.
Shell smash fits its sweeping capabilities, especially due to its ability mold breaker. Aside from that, the Barb set posted even has shown more sweeping potential of it, as Tough Claws make it dish some great amount of damage on some non-unaware supposed counters, due to its tremendous power and coverage. Being a somehow versatile hard hitting mon, makes this even more threatening.

It has a few counters, but i believe they are too specific / limited. It goes something like "Water types check Gyarados-Mega", to something like "Suicune/Tapu Fini/(Murkrow) etc. checks Gyarados-Mega". With that being said, having very limited counters would be totally unhealthy for this meta especially inserting the aforementioned mons wouldn't be so ideal in every team, making it teambuilding restricting. I believe the one and p much only true counter to this is (Murkrow) sets. They just can haze the boosts accumulated with ease. Unaware mons get plowed by Mold breaker, and most of them are passive and the only thing they could do is probably haze... and faint the next turn, and not all Unaware walls take a hit at +2. These are pretty much the only present defensive answers to this thing atm. (Since INH7 has more stuff to be discovered)

Offensively speaking, it's not impossible to check Gyarados, but you actually need to pack a strong prio because 95/109/130 defenses are real good for a sweeper, although those'll be at -1 most of the time. Idk the actual spread people use for this, but giving some bulk would be nice. With this, assuming it runs 0 investment in any defenses, Pinsir's Espeed still can't cleanly KO it without having minimal prior damage (does 88 at max). Pinsir's Espeed is one of the scariest priority move due to its power. That is just to scale what prio moves do to Gyara's bulk. It's just real much. But then, you could hinder it from smashing by pressuring it by Electric-types, which isnt really that uncommon in the tier. With that said, correct support given to this mon would just let it blast through teams.
Mega Gyarados has always been a dominant force in the Inheritance metagame ever since its inception mainly thanks to donors such as Barbaracle, Carracosta, and Bibarel which help amplify its wallbreaking capabilities thanks to the great setup moves they possess. Normally, setup sweepers can be stopped by common defensive Unaware Pokemon such as Suicune, Tapu Fini, and Celesteela. However, thanks to Mega Gyarados's access to Mold Breaker, it can break through the aforementioned threats with minimal support, distinguishing itself compared to other setup sweepers in the current metagame. Its new immunity to Prankster moves such as Thunder Wave and Will-o-Wisp combined with the ability to be immune to priority moves from Psychic Terrain support also propel the amount of opportunities it receives to setup. While priority moves can still keep it in check somewhat, its formidable bulk can help circumvent it from being revenge killed from even the hardest hitting abusers. Mega Gyarados's volatile nature as a setup sweeper combined with the unhealthy centralization it stains the metagame with leaves me to believe it deserves to be quickbanned.

The Beast Has Been Caged!

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
I know Bannettite is not out yet... for for when it is...

Parasect (Bannette) @ Bannetite
Ability: Dry Skin
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Substitute
- Aromatherapy / Toxic / Knock Off
- Leech Seed

You can either be an annoying stall Pokémon to capitalize on Prankster, or be offensive, below.

Zoroark (Bannette) @ Bannetite
Ability: Illusion
0 IVs Speed
Brave Nature
- Bounce
- Copycat
- Swords Dance / Taunt
- Substitute

Trick the foe into believing you are something threatening to force a switch, Mega Evolve to get Prankster, and start the loop of Bounce and Copycat so you are invulnerable by going first during the first turn and last during the second turn. Bounce also has a chance to paralyze your opponent and nothing is immune to Bounce.

Substitute is used on their switch once they think you are something else due to Illusion. Swords Dance if you have time, otherwise just use Bounce to get the ball rolling, followed by Copycat.

Taunt can be used to force a switch, plus it can be used to prevent Whirlwind, Roar, Protect, etc. from happening because of their higher or lower priority. Swords Dance is preferred, because you want to hit hard.

If you are afraid that he Paralysis will hurt your chance of going last you can also try this set:

Samurott (Bannette) @ Bannetite
Ability: Torrent
0 IVs Speed
Brave Nature
- Encore
- Dive
- Copycat
- Swords Dance

Trap the foe into a set up move, Dive on the switch, Copycat into an endless loop, without fear that Paralysis will affect your foe's speed.

Belly Drum could be used to maximize your Attack if you feel like it would help, but you need to use Swords Dance on a set up move, Encore, then Dive then Copycat.

Mega Bannette has 471 Attack, so it will hit 942 after 1 Swords Dance.

The ability depends on you. Sap Sipper prevents Spore and Leech Seed, and gives you an attack boost. I prefer Thick Fat because Ice and Fire moves are more common.

----------------
Quick Feet!

Shroomish (Dodrio) @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Facade
- Drain Punch / Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb

Sleep, hit harder and faster thanks to improved Speed and Facade off of STAB, and use Drain Punch to hit Steels and Rocks, or Swords Dance to boost Seed Bomb to hit Ghosts and Rock types. Drain Punch also allows you to heal back some health.

Dodrio is just the first Normal type I thought of due to 110 Speed and Attack. You want to be fast enough to Spore first, then Swords Dance on the switch so you can hit the foe with a fast Facade on the third turn.

Last edited:
I know Bannettite is not out yet... for for when it is...

Parasect (Bannette) @ Bannetite
Ability: Dry Skin
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Substitute
- Aromatherapy / Toxic / Knock Off
- Leech Seed

You can either be an annoying stall Pokémon to capitalize on Prankster, or be offensive, below.

Zoroark (Bannette) @ Bannetite
Ability: Illusion
0 IVs Speed
Brave Nature
- Bounce
- Copycat
- Swords Dance / Taunt
- Substitute

Trick the foe into believing you are something threatening to force a switch, Mega Evolve to get Prankster, and start the loop of Bounce and Copycat so you are invulnerable by going first during the first turn and last during the second turn. Bounce also has a chance to paralyze your opponent and nothing is immune to Bounce.

Substitute is used on their switch once they think you are something else due to Illusion. Swords Dance if you have time, otherwise just use Bounce to get the ball rolling, followed by Copycat.

Taunt can be used to force a switch, plus it can be used to prevent Whirlwind, Roar, Protect, etc. from happening because of their higher or lower priority. Swords Dance is preferred, because you want to hit hard.

If you are afraid that he Paralysis will hurt your chance of going last you can also try this set:

Samurott (Bannette) @ Bannetite
Ability: Torrent
0 IVs Speed
Brave Nature
- Encore
- Dive
- Copycat
- Swords Dance

Trap the foe into a set up move, Dive on the switch, Copycat into an endless loop, without fear that Paralysis will affect your foe's speed.

Belly Drum could be used to maximize your Attack if you feel like it would help, but you need to use Swords Dance on a set up move, Encore, then Dive then Copycat.

Mega Bannette has 471 Attack, so it will hit 942 after 1 Swords Dance.

The ability depends on you. Sap Sipper prevents Spore and Leech Seed, and gives you an attack boost. I prefer Thick Fat because Ice and Fire moves are more common.

----------------
Quick Feet!

Shroomish (Dodrio) @ Toxic Orb
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Facade
- Drain Punch / Swords Dance
- Seed Bomb

Sleep, hit harder and faster thanks to improved Speed and Facade off of STAB, and use Drain Punch to hit Steels and Rocks, or Swords Dance to boost Seed Bomb to hit Ghosts and Rock types. Drain Punch also allows you to heal back some health.

Dodrio is just the first Normal type I thought of due to 110 Speed and Attack. You want to be fast enough to Spore first, then Swords Dance on the switch so you can hit the foe with a fast Facade on the third turn.
Hi! Thanks for being active in this thread, but ffr, (thanks to nv) the format for INH7 is Heir (Donor). Basically the other way around on what you did. This is just to avoid confusion and for others to do the same format.

Hi! Thanks for being active in this thread, but ffr, (thanks to nv) the format for INH7 is Heir (Donor). Basically the other way around on what you did. This is just to avoid confusion and for others to do the same format.
Since when? The way he's done it here actually allows people to c/p the sets directly into teams and end up with Banettes nicknamed after the Pokémon they're inheriting from. The opposite way would leave those people high and dry with a bunch of OU legal Pokémon nicknamed Banette.

I'd also like to express my distaste for the use of "INH7" to refer to this meta. This is a term coined and used by people wanting to distinguish Gen 7 Inheritance from its Gen 6 version, but that's unnecessary; after all, this is the Gen 7 thread. All it does (other than save 6 or 7 key presses depending on whether one uses the Caps Lock or Shift key) is serve as a constant reminder of the significant differences between the two. I find this to be counterproductive to the end of normalizing these differences and establishing them as permanent fixtures of Inheritance for the foreseeable future. It's true that Inheritance is a significantly different meta from what it once was, but this is what Inheritance is now. Get used to it.

Anybody want to try inheriting from some PU things?

Vikavolt (Illumise) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- U-turn
- Thunderbolt
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Very, very powerful and now with very few switch-ins thanks to Tinted Lens. A few calcs:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Vikavolt Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 274-324 (97.5 - 115.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Vikavolt Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Landorus-Therian: 306-360 (80.1 - 94.2%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

U-Turn for pivoting out of the few things you can't simply annihilate (i.e. Chansey and Blissey) and the last move is filler, really - Giga Drain is an option for a bit of recovery.

Hoopa (Drifblim) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Flare Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt/Hidden Power Fighting

Base 150 SpA with the +1 from Flare Boost, great STABS and the ability to boost speed with Tailwind, and you have one terrifying late-game sweeper. Timid nature to make sure it can outspeed things before using Tailwind - it still gets to ~600 SpA, after all.

Crabominable (Ledian) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Agility

OR

Ledian (Crabominable) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch

There are probably a million mons that could benefit from Ledian's terrific combination of physical movepool + Iron Fist. I chose Crabominable here because it's, sadly, rather overlooked despite having an excellent STAB combination and fantastic attack. Ledian's access to Agility and Mach Punch, whilst retaining Iron Fist, helps Crabominable immensely, turning it into either a nice late game cleaner or a powerful wallbreaker with priority to threaten faster foes that could OHKO it, most notably Heatran.

Chandelure (Gourgeist) @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Insomnia
Timid Nature
- Trick-or-Treat
- Shadow Ball
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast/Energy Ball/Destiny Bond

Since Gourgeist is awful as an attacker, due to having a good Attack with a terrible Physical movepool, and a great Special Movepool with a horrible SpA, Chandelure fits it very very nicely. Extremely powerful with great coverage and hard to revenge kill with a boost from Z-Trick-or-Treat, its only flaw being its mediocre speed.

A lot of cool Megas have been released since this was last active so I reckon a bump is well due.
Just gonna throw out a few theorymons with gen 7 donors.

Palossand (Tyranitar) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Water Compaction
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Shore Up
- Toxic

Tyranitar is bulky enough to make niche use out of Water Compaction pre mega, but also gets maximum mileage out of Shore Up with Sand Stream post mega for that awesome 66% heal. Edgequake coverage is very nice, and Toxic gives fine utility. EVs should probably be optimised to be more defensive.

Exeggutor-Alola (Sceptile) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Frisk
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Dragon Hammer
- Earthquake

Didn't wanna put too much of a spotlight on the old Heliolisk Sceptile, so I decided to show off Alolan Exeggutor as a donor. I've displayed the physical set as to me it's more exciting and different, but standard AoA Mega Sceptile also gets a flat buff from Alolan Exeggutor with Draco Meteor, Energy Ball, Earthquake and Flamethrower. Not to mention that Frisk pre mega isn't half bad.

Tsareena (Lopunny) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Queenly Majesty
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Rapid Spin
- U-Turn

A fresh alternative to the old Lucario version. Tsareena gives the familiar dual STABs alongside Scrappy Rapid Spin for great utility. U-Turn turns Mega bunny into a great fast pivot too. Queenly Majesty could be useful pre mega for finding switch in opportunities.

Torkoal (Houndoom) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Drought
- Shell Smash
- Fire Blast
- Eruption
- Solar Beam

SH*T F*CKING DIES. Legit though, Heatran is cool and all but Mega Houndoom is a monster. You don't even really need coverage at all because your fire STAB is just. that. strong. Hence I reckon you'd be smart to run Eruption alongside Fire Blast, as however it has poor synergy with Solar Power, it still out damages the first few hits, and because Houndoom will find it A LOT harder to set up than Heatran, it's better to have that immediate power for when you can't go for a Shell Smash.
+2 252 SpA Solar Power Houndoom-Mega Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 435-513 (67.8 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Casual 2HKO on Chansey)
+2 252 SpA Solar Power Houndoom-Mega Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arceus in Sun: 730-859 (191.6 - 225.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Casually OHKOs Arceus twice over)
+2 252 SpA Solar Power Houndoom-Mega Eruption (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arceus in Sun: 994-1171 (260.8 - 307.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Casually OHKOs Arceus thrice over)
+2 252 SpA Solar Power Houndoom-Mega Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex in Sun: 327-384 (107.5 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO (This is fine)

Obviously requires a lot more support and will be harder to set up in practice, but God damn this thing has potential. So I'm feeling like Flash Fire might become a little more common. Also if you're slightly less satanic but just as evil, Zoroark Mega Houndoom is cool too.

Before I go. A warning. As well as the above Houndoom, Boomburst Mega Gardevoir is back, and the Lele set ain't half bad either. Adjust your Stall teams!

EDIT: Did a couple test matches against BatterBotto to get a rough idea of how Mega Houndoom might go in practice. I was very impressed. First replay uses SS and second doesn't have to.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7inheritance-40772
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7inheritance-40773

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
A lot of cool Megas have been released since this was last active so I reckon a bump is well due.
Just gonna throw out a few theorymons with gen 7 donors.

Palossand (Tyranitar) @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Water Compaction
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Shore Up
- Toxic

Tyranitar is bulky enough to make niche use out of Water Compaction pre mega, but also gets maximum mileage out of Shore Up with Sand Stream post mega for that awesome 66% heal. Edgequake coverage is very nice, and Toxic gives fine utility. EVs should probably be optimised to be more defensive.

Exeggutor-Alola (Sceptile) @ Sceptilite
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Wood Hammer
- Dragon Hammer
- Earthquake

Didn't wanna put too much of a spotlight on the old Heliolisk Sceptile, so I decided to show off Alolan Exeggutor as a donor. I've displayed the physical set as to me it's more exciting and different, but standard AoA Mega Sceptile also gets a flat buff from Alolan Exeggutor with Draco Meteor, Energy Ball, Earthquake and Flamethrower. Not to mention that Frisk pre mega isn't half bad.

Tsareena (Lopunny) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Queenly Majesty
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Rapid Spin
- U-Turn

A fresh alternative to the old Lucario version. Tsareena gives the familiar dual STABs alongside Scrappy Rapid Spin for great utility. U-Turn turns Mega bunny into a great fast pivot too. Queenly Majesty could be useful pre mega for finding switch in opportunities.

Torkoal (Houndoom) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Drought
- Shell Smash
- Fire Blast
- Eruption
- Solar Beam

SH*T F*CKING DIES. Legit though, Heatran is cool and all but Mega Houndoom is a monster. You don't even really need coverage at all because your fire STAB is just. that. strong. Hence I reckon you'd be smart to run Eruption alongside Fire Blast, as however it has poor synergy with Solar Power, it still out damages the first few hits, and because Houndoom will find it A LOT harder to set up than Heatran, it's better to have that immediate power for when you can't go for a Shell Smash.
+2 252 SpA Solar Power Houndoom-Mega Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Sun: 435-513 (67.8 - 80%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (Casual 2HKO on Chansey)
+2 252 SpA Solar Power Houndoom-Mega Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arceus in Sun: 730-859 (191.6 - 225.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Casually OHKOs Arceus twice over)
+2 252 SpA Solar Power Houndoom-Mega Eruption (150 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Arceus in Sun: 994-1171 (260.8 - 307.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO (Casually OHKOs Arceus thrice over)
+2 252 SpA Solar Power Houndoom-Mega Eruption (150 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex in Sun: 327-384 (107.5 - 126.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO (This is fine)

Obviously requires a lot more support and will be harder to set up in practice, but God damn this thing has potential. So I'm feeling like Flash Fire might become a little more common. Also if you're slightly less satanic but just as evil, Zoroark Mega Houndoom is cool too.

Before I go. A warning. As well as the above Houndoom, Boomburst Mega Gardevoir is back, and the Lele set ain't half bad either. Adjust your Stall teams!

EDIT: Did a couple test matches against BatterBotto to get a rough idea of how Mega Houndoom might go in practice. I was very impressed. First replay uses SS and second doesn't have to.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7inheritance-40772
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/dragonheaven-gen7inheritance-40773
Holy mother of Mime, Houndoom looks terrifying...

Why is shell smash still legal again? I feel like this entire meta and all the discussion of has been about mons broken by shell smash or the ways to check them. I've never understood why this was the only meta that gave new moves that allowed it (besides bh but bh is special)

nv

The Lost Age
Ok, I know I am double posting, but it is also my thread so whatever lol.

I figured it would be high time to bump this (with its potential for being OMotM next month + I want to) and I thought the best way to do this would be by striking up some VR conversation. I am going to just start off with one question for now and that is:

"What do you feel is the top rated threat/s in the current metagame?"

I also wanted to generate discussion about the move: Shell Smash. I know The Ruins of Alpha made a mention of it a couple of months ago (even though his post is only 3 above this one lol) and I wanted to gather community info on what you guys think and how you feel about the move in the metagame.

Lastly, as I always do, I want to share a couple of fun sets with you guys so here it goes.

Pidgeot-Mega @ Pidgeotite
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Roost

This is a pretty great combo thanks to the pre-Mega ability and the spammability of its STABs. With access to No Guard post-Mega, Pidgeot can abuse Noivern's incredibly cool movepool and keep itself healthy via Roost. Furthermore, it has near impeccable neutral coverage with high powered moves, allowing it to be a very potent wallbreaker (inb4 Bulletproof Steel-types lol).

Heracross @ Choice Band / Choice Scarf
Ability: Regenerator / Reckless
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick / Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge / Drain Punch

This one is a very particular combination that I am pretty sure I saw last gen, but I have been toying with it myself a lot this gen. Giving Heracross Mienshao's movepool and abilities is one of the best things for Heracross because it can be a very powerful wallbreaker or a hard hitting cleaner. Regenerator allows it to pivot with ease a lot more and High Jump Kick helps to give it a power boost and not have to worry terribly about recoil. Drain Punch does provide a more consistent STAB, but on the whole High Jump Kick is the better option. Reckless is also a nice choice should your team have Wish/cleric support to keep healing up Heracross and keeping it alive.

Anyways, I hope you guys put a lot of good thought into your answers about the VR-related question I posed and the move Shell Smash (which the council and I are discussing as well). Also, feel free to do all the set dumps you want. There are so many possibilities and they don't all have to be amazing as long as they serve a purpose within the metagame, I will allow them. Let's hope we can vote this for OMotM September! :)

I think that it's hard to determine what the most prominent metagame threats are, as since I last played all the mons that stood out to me have been banned. So the meta would have drastically changed because of that, and then again due to the plethora of megas that have been released since this was OMotM.

On paper I can't help but think that the Torkoal Mega Houndoom I posted about earlier will be a defining threat that pretty much demands the use of Flash Fire, so I guess it makes sense to talk about Shell Smash. But even then I still feel like Shell Smashers weren't the most dominating thing last time around. When this was OMotM I played extensively with both Offence and Stall and specifically remember always being unintentionally prepared for all the Smashers I came up against. I believe a big reason I've found that Shell Smashers aren't as dominant as they could be is because of the Donor Reveal clause, as most SS donors don't have much of a niche outside of that, so if something is looking to set up a SS it is clearly scripted. Then you've got a bunch of common metagame threats that just cock block SS sweepers including Unaware, Beak Blast, Metal Burst, Priority, Trick Room, Taunt, Prankster Encore/Haze. And these are all things that are just used in general, not specifically to counter Shell Smash. I think that the meta is just naturally well equiped to deal with it.
With all that said though Shell Smash is still of course very strong, but I think you'd need to wait until this becomes OMotM again to see how it goes before you consider calling a suspect.

Anyhow, here is far and away my favourite Gen 7 Inheritance set.
I've used this beast on pretty much every Offensive and Balanced team I've made since day 1.

Tyrogue (Bewear) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Mach Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Facade

This thing is never dead weight with an awesome match up against HO, Stall, and everything in between. Fake Out allows you to safely activate Flame Orb whenever, and the combination of STAB Fake Out and Mach Punch with Guts factored in is enough to revenge and shut down any offensive mon in its tracks. The incredible power of STAB + Guts boosted High Jump Kick and Facade is to die for, and murders bulky teams. It also has impeccable coverage, only shut down by Ghost types. Not to mention that thing has pretty nice bulk thanks to that epic HP stat, and can often take a hit if you need it to.

This Bewear is at its best with Hazard Stacking and Pursuit support. I always loved using Crustle Dodrio as a suicide lead, but here's a Pursuit trapper which I started using much later on that has really come into its own as a powerful threat.

Gumshoos (Krookodile) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- U-turn

The power of Adaptability Earthquake and Crunch is very nice, and is enough to make this pokemon decent by itself. What makes this pokemon awesome however is the extra utility it provides, having both Pursuit and U-Turn to trap and remove threats or pivot for its team mates, this thing is the package Scarfer. I also can't stress enough how awesome it is to have a Physical Scarfer that is immune to both Thunder wave and Prankster Will-O-Wisp, it might seem a small niche on paper but in practice this can be game changing.

Crustle (Dodrio) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Flail
- Knock Off

This thing is pretty reliable at getting up Rocks and a layer of Spikes, and can often go to town with +2 Speed and a 200 bp STAB Flail if it's knocked to sash by a Physical hit. Knock Off can also be very handy.

Well I haven't played Inheritance against too many people lately, but this thing is always fun to use.

Dragonite (Altaria-Mega) @ Altarianite
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed

Not Lucario, but by virtue of it's typing and bulk, it can tank a hit with multiscale while boosting, Mega Evolve, and proceed to espeed everything into oblivion, since fairy is such a spammable type. No one is really talking about this, are certain pokemon in the meta that completely shut it down?

And there's this thing:

Aggron (Lopunny-Mega) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Sturdy
Jolly Nature
- Reversal
- Hone Claws
- Return
- Thunder Punch/Earthquake

Oh shit this thing is crazy. One Hone Claws+200 BP Reversal+No Immunities = One hell of a time. Return is for pokes that resist fighting, EQ/Thunder Punch are for dealing with Poison or Flying types that may stop your sweep.

Quick Disclaimer: This thing takes a LOT of team support. You will most likely need
  • A way of removing hazards from YOUR side of the field, preferably a rapid spinner.
  • A way of adding hazards to THEIR side of the field, preferably stealth rock or spikes.
  • A psychic terrain user, though this is not necessary if you are able to take out the. opponents priority users.
  • A way to wreck Mega-Alakazam. Honestly the most tricky part for me, most of the time it just comes down to outplaying them and forcing the mega.
  • Something to deal with pesky flying, fairy, psychic, and water types.
  • A slow pivot to bring Lopunny in.
  • And finally, a powerful special wallbreaker that can soften physical walls for lopunny.
The hazard setting, wallbreaking, and a check to annoying types comes in the form of Nidoking Gengar, making it an excellent choice as a partner. Bulky steel types like celesteela and ferrothorn should be able to check Zam, as they can comfortably take a hit and Ko with their stab attacks. Masquerain Registeel is good for setting sticky web and clearing the field with defog, as well as utilizing a slow u-turn and tanking hits.

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
Then you've got a bunch of common metagame threats that just cock block SS sweepers including Unaware, Beak Blast, Metal Burst, Priority, Trick Room, Taunt, Prankster Encore/Haze. And these are all things that are just used in general, not specifically to counter Shell Smash.
I honestly find several of these very questionable.

Beak Blast only works against physical contact moves. If you saw a Toucannon inheritor why would you use a contact move on it, presuming you care about burns?
Trick Room has to be set up beforehand and can hardly be slapped on teams to answer Shell Smashers.
Metal Burst users have to live a hit (I know SturdyBurst is a thing, but that means a: literally no damage can be taken beforehand and b: enjoy losing to cloyster inheritors.)
Taunt is an awful answer to Shell Smash. If they ever get in their Shell Smasher in on something that can't taunt them they just smash and sweep.

Unaware is good, prankster Haze is good, Priority is good if its strong, Prankster Encore is all right I guess, but not incredibly difficult to play around.

The only one of these I find different from most of the other metas where Shell Smash is banned is increased access to Unaware. You could argue increased access to Prankster as well, I suppose, but since bulk and other stats don't matter as much there I don't see that as as important.

I definitely agree a ladder would be really nice for testing this out on tho. It's been a long time and a lot has changed since Inheritance last saw any play.

Nice Bewear set.
Why Dodrio for the Crustle inheritor? Not criticizing just curious.

Well I haven't played Inheritance against too many people lately, but this thing is always fun to use.

Dragonite (Altaria-Mega) @ Altarianite
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed

Not Lucario, but by virtue of it's typing and bulk, it can tank a hit with multiscale while boosting, Mega Evolve, and proceed to espeed everything into oblivion, since fairy is such a spammable type. No one is really talking about this, are certain pokemon in the meta that completely shut it down?
See: Every Steel/Flying type
to Prankster too I suppose

Beak Blast only works against physical contact moves. If you saw a Toucannon inheritor why would you use a contact move on it, presuming you care about burns?
Trick Room has to be set up beforehand and can hardly be slapped on teams to answer Shell Smashers.
Metal Burst users have to live a hit (I know SturdyBurst is a thing, but that means a: literally no damage can be taken beforehand and b: enjoy losing to cloyster inheritors.)
Taunt is an awful answer to Shell Smash. If they ever get in their Shell Smasher in on something that can't taunt them they just smash and sweep.

Unaware is good, prankster Haze is good, Priority is good if its strong, Prankster Encore is all right I guess, but not incredibly difficult to play around.

The only one of these I find different from most of the other metas where Shell Smash is banned is increased access to Unaware. You could argue increased access to Prankster as well, I suppose, but since bulk and other stats don't matter as much there I don't see that as as important.

I definitely agree a ladder would be really nice for testing this out on tho. It's been a long time and a lot has changed since Inheritance last saw any play.

Nice Bewear set.

Thanks, I didn't know that they were commonplace in OMs, as I thought electric/fire type moves were very common. I will keep that in mind when I build my teams in the future.

I'd be fine with a Shell Smash ban. None of the vanilla users have bad movepools to go with the move (Carracosta in particular is absolutely devastating and gives Sturdy to help make set-up easier), they all just have poor BST spreads or typing.

We could ban problematic users until it feels more balanced, but attacking a potential problem at its root sounds like a better use of ladder time. Hell, if it wins OMotM (one of several I'm rooting for), we could open the month with a suspect if people are afraid of quickbanning.

Shell Smash is a very common problem move in other metagames (banned in both STABmons and Sketchmons, not to mention SmashPass being banned in lower tiers for several generations before the SMOU Baton Pass ban), and I'd rather keep more Pokemon than worry about trying to balance a singular move.

Last edited:

Gumshoos (Krookodile) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Adaptability
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- U-turn

The power of Adaptability Earthquake and Crunch is very nice, and is enough to make this pokemon decent by itself. What makes this pokemon awesome however is the extra utility it provides, having both Pursuit and U-Turn to trap and remove threats or pivot for its team mates, this thing is the package Scarfer. I also can't stress enough how awesome it is to have a Physical Scarfer that is immune to both Thunder wave and Prankster Will-O-Wisp, it might seem a small niche on paper but in practice this can be game changing.
actually i used this set with Choice Band when this was OMtM and get a good result (easily make on top 10 rank ladder). the threat about Stakeout and Pursuit make people don't want to switch their pokemon and got bopped by adaptability Earthquake / Crunch.

while Shell Smash seems an issue, if it's banned, can we get mega gyarados back? it's one main set is shell smash, the other is bibarel set which is strong, but slow. i dunno but maybe M-Sharpedo can fill the M-Gyarados (SS) role, same typing except no mold breaker but strong jaw for crunch. i'm leaning to wait until this becomes OMotM again to see how shell smash will perform because we get many released mega.

another interesting new set.

Jynx (Gardevoir-Mega) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Forewarn / Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Lovely Kiss
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock / Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ground

yeah, show you can still live without Boomburst. Lovely Kiss makes check think again to switch. Nasty Plot to make Wall breaking more powerful.

i will back to showdown again if this become OMtM again .. hehe ..

Nice Bewear set.

These were just answers to Shell Smash that I thought of on the spot as they're mainly things that I've used and remember helping out, hence why Trick Room is noted, and I admit that Taunt is super shaky and stupid to list as you obviously have to already be in. Some are situational but I'd argue that Beak Blast is a very handy back pocket check to Shell Smashers, as it's not uncommon for physical Shell Smashers to rely on a contact move to damage a Beak Blast user sufficiently, and you can't just not use a contact move if it means taking a STAB 100 bp move with a potential -1 Defence, and if you get Burned you become super easy to handle (Also note that Earthquake is one of the most common non contact physical moves and most Beak Blast users are gonna be Flying type, and as Shell Smashers are generally used as sweepers most stay away from the unreliable Stone Edge). With Metal Burst I'd tend to use it on dedicated walls which can more often than not stomach a neutral hit even at +2, and if you look at its distribution it can actually be super hard to predict.
They're obviously not all perfect catch all answers, but at least in my experience it's not uncommon to have at least 2 of the things I listed on a team without even thinking about Shell Smash, and together they keep you pretty well protected.

As for Dodrio, my goal was to create a suicide lead that could set multiple hazards quickly and then nab a kill or potentially body the opposing team if not handled properly. Because I was abusing Flail for this I needed it to be Normal type with extremely low bulk to ensure it drops to Sash, and it needed at least 110 Speed to avoid at least a handful of Taunt users. Dodrio has among the lowest bulk and highest attack of 110 Spe and beyond Normal types so it fit the best.
I found a lot of people in Inheritance still used leads that either literally were LO Offensive SR Garchomp, or different mons with super similar sets, so many a time I experienced this beautiful scenario.
You both set SR -> You set Spikes while they bring you to Sash and proc Weak Armor -> You OHKO them with Flail after a turn of LO recoil -> They try deal with a +2 Speed mon boasting a 200 bp move.
Plus if they don't go to a priority user to revenge you, you're either able to nuke something with Flail, Knock Off an unsuspecting Ghost type, or at the very least remove an item. That's near best case scenario stuff but at the end of the day this mon was always able to play a role and get the job done.

252 Atk Dodrio Flail (200 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 304-358 (84.9 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO (Over 50% chance after LO recoil)

Here's a set that's probably not viable but is quite fun.

Chimecho (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Recover
- Calm Mind/Dazzling Gleam
- Stored Power
In case it's not clear, this is Bronzong inheriting from Chimecho, not the other way around.

It's pretty clear what this does: max out defenses with Cosmic Power, then Stored Power everything to death. The reason I'm using Bronzong is because Toxic is annoying with this set and I appreciate the immunity, but something like Cress or even Uxie can pull this set off by either dodging around Toxic or replacing either Recover or CM/Dazzling Gleam with Rest.

Calm Mind is used to break through Steel-types and Psychic types, which resist stored power, while Dazzling Gleam lets it hit Darks but still leaves it rather hopeless against Steels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)