International Challenge May 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a lot of drama: my 3DS disconnecting from the internet, costing me a match, some painful crits, mistakes amateur and unexpected, and figuring out that I was too dependent on the combination of Misty Seed Mandibuzz and Tapu Fini, I think I ended up with a score of around ~1550. I would have gone longer to see if I could max it out to ~1580 where I peaked, but I didn't expect the shindig to end at 8:00, and wanted a break.

The battle results are as follows (no casualty reports, since nobody seems to be liking these types of posts, and I want to delete the videos where I won. Can't blame anyone. Doubt anyone will read this one either):
11: Win
12: Loss
13: Loss
14: Loss
15: Loss
16: Win
17: Loss
18: Win
19: Win
20: Win
21: Win
22: Win
23: Loss
24: Loss
25: Win
26: Loss
27: Win
28: Win
29: Win
30: Win
31: Loss
32: Win
33: Loss
34: Win
35: Loss
36: Loss
37: Win
38: Loss
39: Win
40: Win
41: Loss
42: Loss
43: Win
44: Win

There was also one battle where I had a disconnect where I was probably going to win. I thought it was my opponent, before I saw my internet was turned off to local. Chickenshit router.

Total Score is 24-20

I'm not satisfied with my score, and might try teams listed here that did better. It is however mostly my fault, since I didn't use my team properly, and depended too much on Buzzkill/Tapu Fini, making me too predictable and less flexible.

And turns out my older Battle Videos from before the patch can't be played. So much for battling Blue any time I want!

Last edited:
I'm playing on a second version where I just want the Mega Stones. Does a match where your opponent disconnects is taking into account for the needed 3 matches to have the Mega Stones ?
It is counted as a played match but I don't receive points (when I began the third match it's said that I played 2 matches with 1518 points).

Edit : It won't show up at my PGL history. I only have the first and the third matches. I hope it'll show up soon.
Disconnects take a bit more time to get recorded, as the system must check who disconnected and who should deserve the win. So you won't be able to see it immediately.
If they didn't give points on disconnects, everyone would do it when they lose, and it would be a world of chaos! :P

And it should be counted for the Megastones (not very sure on that tho).

Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 12.07.52 AM.png

Got around 1680-1690 with this team. Was at 1750, but my lust for games caused me to drop. Learned my lesson the hard way. Regardless, It was the best I ever done in an IC, so I'm very proud of myself and my team.

Details about the team: Arcanine is the classic support, Bulu is pick up surprise ohkoes on Kokos and Leles, while handling water, rock, and ground for Arcanine, Cloyster is your high risk, high reward Pokemon, capable sweeping teams after a boost, Crobat is a poison-type that is immune too ground and can ko the Tapus, Bulky Togedemaru was the support Pokemon that offers lightning rod, speed control and fake out, as well as handing Tapus, and Kommo-o is the only Pokemon in the Metagame that can check Garchomp, Arcanine, Gigalith, Porygon2, Gengar, Nihilego, and Kartana in one slot. Its actually a lot better than people credit for. I brought in a lot of more matches than I expected. I would seriously recommend you try it. With proper support, the Fairy-Weakness isn't that bad.

Link to QR Code: https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/rentalteam/BT-450A-96E4

PS Import:
Cloyster @ Focus Sash
Ability: Skill Link
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shell Smash
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Protect

Togedemaru @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 8 Atk / 92 Def / 156 SpD
Careful Nature
- Nuzzle
- Zing Zap
- Spiky Shield
- Fake Out

Kommo-o @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Blast
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Crobat @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Cross Poison
- Brave Bird
- Taunt
- Protect

Arcanine @ Mago Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 204 HP / 56 Def / 148 SpD / 100 Spe
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Snarl
- Roar

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt

Also, if you're wondering why the Hoenn Mega Stones are taking so long to be released, its apparently because the Japan Cup had a lot of hackers in it, and it took a long time to figure it out. Those who been caught hacking and have received and invitation will not only lose those rights, but will have to the pay the Pokemon company all the money that was given to them. Here's more info:

I can't post any battles due to my mom taking my system for finals week. ( Despite I only have 3 finals. ) Maybe later.

Stopped at 35 battles after getting a 1754 rating with a 27-8 record in the Masters division. My goal was 1750, so I'm a happy camper.

Disconnects take a bit more time to get recorded, as the system must check who disconnected and who should deserve the win. So you won't be able to see it immediately.
If they didn't give points on disconnects, everyone would do it when they lose, and it would be a world of chaos! :P

And it should be counted for the Megastones (not very sure on that tho).
Thanks for the clarification. PGL fixing it in 6th gen is helpful :)

Also, if you're wondering why the Hoenn Mega Stones are taking so long to be released, its apparently because the Japan Cup had a lot of hackers in it, and it took a long time to figure it out. Those who been caught hacking and have received and invitation will not only lose those rights, but will have to the pay the Pokemon company all the money that was given to them. Here's more info:

I can't post any battles due to my mom taking my system for finals week. ( Despite I only have 3 finals. ) Maybe later.
This hacking check and the ban wave by Nintendo are quite interesting for the future.

Score ended up at ~1550, due to doing badly at first.

Again, my team was as follows:

Buzzkill (Mandibuzz) @ Misty Seed
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SpD / 12 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Whirlwind
- Snarl

Paper Cut (Kartana) @ Grassium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 92 HP / 164 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike
- Night Slash

Ariel (Tapu Fini) @ Aguav Berry
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Muddy Water
- Protect

Arcanine @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Morning Sun
- Wild Charge
- Protect

Gengster (Gengar) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body (Note: Cursed Body actually works in doubles, sometimes well)
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp

Fly-Gon Jinn (Flygon) @ Groundium Z
Ability: Levitate
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide

Last edited:
Rankings for the International Challenge of May 2017 are out : https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/competitions/4112/

Edit : On my second game I don't have a rank and they don't take into account my opponent's disconnection. So I'll not have Mega Stones. I think I'll contact support soon if it's not fixed this weekend.
Weird. I thought I had ended 30-15 but it says I ended up 28-17 instead.

Ended up closer to the Top 1000 than I expected (1020).

Nice 2nd ever Online Competition, 2nd time in top 1000 (678th in April/ 569th in May).

Teams were

April: Arcanine, Gigalith, Porygon2, Pheromosa, Tapu Fini, and Tapu Bulu

May: Arcanine, Gigalith, Porygon2, Tapu Fini, Tapu Bulu, Metagross

I wont post team details unless anyone wants to know...also 30-15 records in both.

Nice 2nd ever Online Competition, 2nd time in top 1000 (678th in April/ 569th in May).

Teams were

April: Arcanine, Gigalith, Porygon2, Pheromosa, Tapu Fini, and Tapu Bulu

May: Arcanine, Gigalith, Porygon2, Tapu Fini, Tapu Bulu, Metagross

I wont post team details unless anyone wants to know...also 30-15 records in both.
I wouldn't mind seeing your sets for Fini, Bulu, Arcanine and Metagross? I was toying with them for an upcoming regionals

I wouldn't mind seeing your sets for Fini, Bulu, Arcanine and Metagross? I was toying with them for an upcoming regionals
Alright here we go...

Tapu Fini

Moonblast
Hydro Pump
Taunt
Protect

Wiki Berry
Serious Nature
252 SpA 252 SpD 6 Hp

Tapu Bulu

Wood Hammer
Horn Leech
Superpower
Protect

Fightinium Z
Sassy Nature
252 Atk 128 Def 128 SpD

Arcanine

Flare Blitz
Wild Charge
Extreme Speed
Protect

Intimidate
Aguav Berry
Adamant Nature
252 Atk 252 Spd 4 Hp

Metagross

Meteor Mash
Bullet Punch
Zen Headbutt
Protect

Clear Body
Weakness Policy
252 Hp 252 Atk 4 Def

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)