Iron Chef Season 3: Underused | EPISODE 9, PHASE 3 (post #252)

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
Creative: Nightingales & Giratina93
Only one of the sets used in Nightingales team was a standard UU set an Grasswhistle is basically never seen at all. They also used secondary theme in addition to the low accuracy move requirement, by having a couple Unburden sweepers which is impressive.

Most of the same can be said for Giratina93 except their secondary theme was Gravity in lieu of Unburden.

Essence: bla bla fat

This was the only team that really embraced the low accuracy moves, without using tactics like No Guard nor perfect Blizzard accuracy in hail to compensate. And unlike many other teams, they did not just slap on Stone Edge as a random coverage move and call it a day.

Effective: Renny_ & Lord Esche

Renny's team seems to have something for everything and a clear strategy with Jirachi as a sweeper and a couple other Pokemon that provide overwhelming power. Against stall it can try to set up Toxic Spikes as Krookodile can trap most absorbers or bust through with Cobalion, against offense Hydreigon can get free KOs and Jirachi can sweep and against balance all the offense threats are potent bar Krookodile.

Lord Esche's team is similarly well thought out except it lacks a clear sweeper to win a lot of games as their Jirachi set is much slower (although Mega Aerodactyl can sometimes be sufficient).

I enjoyed reading through all the team descriptions, thanks to everyone who provided content.

Euphonos

inanod ng mga luha; damdamin ay lumaya.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
3, 2, 1...

TIME'S UP!

Voting is officially over; allow me to announce the special winners for today's episode!

MOST ORIGINAL DISH: Nightingales
MOST ESSENTIAL DISH: Lord Esche and bla bla fat
BEST-TASTING DISH: Renny_

Also, here are the rates from our esteemed Panel of Judges:

CREATIVITY: 3.5 / 5
While most of the sets are standard at best, what stood out in this team is Jirachi with a Calm Mind + Thunder set, which is a pretty original build to take care of most Water-types. There are also underutilized sets that gave you a hint of bonuses as well, such as Specs Hydreigon, offensive Tentacruel (both very uncommon), and Hone Claws Mega Aerodactyl (underappreciated).

ESSENCE: 5 / 5
What stood this team out for this category is that you take advantage of inaccurate moves and use those on your set-up core to the fullest, which are both mitigated either by virtue of Hone Claws or by virtue of a Z-Crystal. While Hydro Pump Tentacruel and Stone Edge Infernape are some bonuses to cover some opposing Pokemon, using inaccurate moves to a set-up core is more than enough to warrant a good score in this criterion.

EFFECTIVENESS: 7 / 10
Upon further examination, we found a rather disturbing flaw: your team lacks something outright deal with Pokemon such as Swampert and Quagsire. What could make this team better is to use Freeze-Dry over Icicle Crash on Mamoswine to lure such Pokemon so as to let Mega Aerodactyl and Jirachi have a field day. Also, opposing set up Pokemon can take advantage of Choice-locked team members; having a lack of priority and even lack of momentum grabbing moves (Hydreigon: U-Turn) has the potential to hurt this team. This is a great team and is fun to use, other small move set considerations could include running Focus Blast + U-turn as coverage for Hydreigon, Ice Beam over Dazzling Gleam for Tentacruel in order to hit Latias harder on the switch whilst nabbing the OHKO on Gliscor. Otherwise, I can see where the direction of your team is going, so mad props to you for your valiant effort on building this good team.

TOTAL: 15.5 / 20

CREATIVITY: 2 / 5
Although you made use of Talonflame, being an underrated Pokemon in itself, along with Mega Blastoise and Thunder Azelf, most of the sets in the team are standard at best.

ESSENCE: 4 / 5
I'm actually surprised quite a few voted for this team to be one of another essential teams contending; I saw the direction your team is going: to overwhelm most of the Pokemon Talonflame struggle to break through powerful yet inaccurate moves. This alone would warrant you a decently high score in this criterion.

EFFECTIVENESS: 7.5 / 10
Your team flat-out struggles against defensive builds; while you have tried to use some most of your Pokemon in order to deal much needed damage against other defensively-oriented Pokemon, what you need to improve on is to find a perfect move to luring such defensive builds without compensating effectiveness against different builds too. Furthermore, opposing Volt Turners such as Mega Manectric and Rotom-W aren’t struggling to gain momentum against this team. I'm definitely surprised that you pulled off atrocious wins against three other Iron Chefs, which is no easy feat; this is actually a team nicely built. Good job.

TOTAL: 13.5 / 20

CREATIVITY: 4.5 / 5
This is the most mind-boggling team among all the teams I have seen so far. You made three Pokemon that can potentially Mega Evolve; this would make us think twice which among these Pokemon are going to Mega Evolve on Team Preview. Also, you feature Hitmonlee as the star of the team, which isn't a very common sight to behold. The reason why a perfect score cannot be attained in this criterion is because of my skepticism on the Sceptile set; while you have Grass Whistle, the effectiveness as a Physical attacker with Unburden isn't at par with Slurpuff, or heck, even Hitmonlee in that case.

ESSENCE: 3 / 5
While you do put Stone Edge on the featured star of the team, I don't think it is needed much as compared to Mach Punch for Priority. As such, I feel like it's slapped in order to get the secret ingredient quota, which isn't a good thing. What you could have done to improve the score in this criterion is to try to overwhelm the opposition with powerful yet inaccurate moves (which some of your teammates can cover well) in order for Hitmonlee to do the sweeping.

EFFECTIVENESS: 5.5 / 10
While Hitmonlee does its job significantly well, we don't think the rest of the team's sets are optimal enough to be effective. Some things to ponder on include keeping Grass Whistle on Sceptile and make it a Mega Pokemon to deal massive damage against other Pokemon, make Aerodactyl a suicide lead, provide Pursuit support in order for Hitmonlee to shine even further as eliminating Ghost types will never be a problem anymore to a point that Stone Edge can be kept, among others. Otherwise, this team has a lot of potential to be an effective one; keep that up.

TOTAL: 13 / 20

CREATIVITY: 1.5 / 5
The team that you use are mostly standard at best; at least it doesn't come from an existing RMT. Also, the saving grace here is the use of Zen Headbutt over Energy Ball on Jirachi.

ESSENCE: 2.5 / 5
I can see the direction you're heading when it comes to using inaccurate moves; however, based on your description, it could have been more of an offensive build rather than a balanced build since Sticky Web keeps your momentum going. The team lacks a way to make significant use of the effect of Sticky Web itself. The inclusion of two set up sweepers without a strong way of deterring opposing hazard removal really does not reflect the standard offensive make up of Webs Offense which endeavors to maintain offensive momentum and presence.

EFFECTIVENESS: 4 / 10
Sticky Web on a Balanced team is not exactly desirable as mentioned earlier. You could make the team more overwhelming in terms of offensive pressure such that no one could clear Hazards (and speaking of Hazards, you don't have Stealth Rock, which definitely hurts). Mad props to you, however, for giving a valiant effort in making this team; it could have lots of potential with the substantial amount of changes in the team and with the substantial change in your mindset.

TOTAL: 8 / 20

CREATIVITY: 3.5 / 5
While I think of Gravity being a rather "predictable" strategy to compensate the accuracy issues of most Pokemon, it's definitely a first to witness someone pulling off such strategy in Iron Chef. Though Gravity in itself isn't exactly a concept that would really blow us away to a point that it held back from gaining a perfect score in this criterion, we would still give mad props to you for conceptualizing such a strategy.

ESSENCE: 3 / 5
Among all people here in this episode, you made central use of Gravity to take advantage of inaccurate moves very well - definitely a direction worth taking. Sadly, the team doesn't focus on punching holes with said inaccurate moves, especially considering that one of your setters is incredibly passive and essentially has no offensive presence. Perhaps gaining momentum through the use of Explosion among other moves on Claydol could have been a way to secure offensive momentum.

EFFECTIVENESS: 4.5 / 10
We wish we could have rated this higher. The output for this Gravity team is very underwhelming, as it failed to utilize Gravity to the fullest due to the lack of power and considerably passive setters. Yes, let's get that right: Gravity is definitely a difficult strategy to pull off. If you were to keep Gravity intact, you may want to consider some Pokemon that would really use and abuse Gravity to the fullest: Tornadus with Hurricane and Tailwind, Mamoswine (which hits everything with Gravity up), Psychium Z-boosted Gravity (+1 SpA) Starmie, and even Gravity Jirachi with Stealth Rock, freeing up a space for a Defogger / Spinner. Also, the latter has U-turn in order to preserve your momentum. Speaking of momentum, that is pretty much a lacking factor to exert pressure to your opposing team while at the same time taking advantage of Gravity, theoretically speaking. Again, mad props to you for your valiant effort in building your work in progress. I still hope you keep up.

TOTAL: 11 / 20

CREATIVITY: 2.5 / 5
While most of the sets you use are standard at best, you used Machamp which is a rather underutilized Pokemon as of the moment due to a plethora of Fighting types lurking in the tier (and with the confusion rates being user-friendly this time), and you used rather eccentric sets such as Icium Z Latias, Stone Edge on Mamoswine, and heck, even Iron Tail on Sylveon.

ESSENCE: 2 / 5
While you attempted to make every Pokemon have at least one attack with at most 80% accuracy (which I really appreciate), some moves are just slapped there for the sake of fulfilling such a dream of yours. As such, sets become suboptimal, which greatly affects your score in the Effectiveness criterion as well.

EFFECTIVENESS: 3.5 / 10
As mentioned earlier, just because you put in an inaccurate move on every Pokemon, the sets became very suboptimal; for example, you slapped in Stone Edge on Mamoswine when it really needs Earthquake to deal massive damage to most Pokemon on the field. What you could have done is make Latias your Special attacking Defogger (which is definitely a fine choice), give Mega Pidgeot Work Up over Heat Wave (since you have Refresh) and assign that as a late-game sweeper when everything else gets weakened - you know the gist. This is a classic example of not unleashing a good potential out of the Pokemon (and even the secret ingredient) you have made, but still, keep your head up high; you still have much potential.

TOTAL: 8 / 20

While most of the sets you use are standard at best, you made a bit of twist to your team by putting in Roost over Hone Claws on Mega Aerodactyl (since you have two set-up sweepers in Jirachi and Cobalion) and putting in Focus Blast over U-turn on Hydreigon.

ESSENCE: 3.5 / 5
I do understand the direction you're actually going with the team, and your team covered the secret ingredient rather well enough to be competitive.

EFFECTIVENESS: 7.5 / 10
Don't get fooled if your creativity is quite low due to standard sets; sometimes, these teams like this are just effective at what it does (and sometimes it can win an episode). It would be nice if you replace Fire Blast with U-turn on Hydreigon to give the team a hint of momentum. I actually find Krookodile quite intimidating (no pun intended) to your team because you have a rather massive weakness to Ground attacks; though you have a Hydreigon to take care of that, you might still need to tread carefully. Otherwise, a well-built team; nice job.

TOTAL: 13.5 / 20

Most of the sets you use are fairly standard at best, but what stood out in this team is the Calm Mind + 3 attacks Chandelure because you're quite paranoid on Swampert among all Pokemon, and bluffing a Choice set on Primarina by plugging in Splash Plate instead.

ESSENCE: 2.5 / 5
The direction your team has is actually getting there, but I'm quite skeptical with the use of Mega Abomasnow on a Sticky Web team. While your team actually needs someone like Mega Abomasnow to take care of Bulky Waters well, the issue here is that its slow Speed, especially not having an investment to that stat, will not outrun any metagame-defining threat anytime.

EFFECTIVENESS: 5 / 10
As mentioned earlier, the direction where your team is going is getting there; I just really find Mega Abomasnow a Pokemon that would lose your momentum. In that case, I'd rather run Freeze-Dry Mamoswine instead - you don't have Stealth Rock as an integral part of your strategy; that would be a nice bonus to have. Mamoswine can also manage to clear any bulky Water just fine with Freeze-Dry and exert some pressure against other offensive archetypes nicely. You could have also adopted a different type of spin blocker and Fairy type in order to circumnavigate your perceived weakness to Levitating Dragons. That is, Doublade (for Latias) and Togekiss (for Hydreigon) which can both take advantage of Webs too. Otherwise, the team has some potential. Keep your head up high, and keep building.

TOTAL: 10 / 20

Euphonos

The winner of this episode, with a cumulative weighted average of 64.43%, goes to...

Chef Lord Esche!

While Chef bla bla fat managed to win against three Iron Chefs (definitely a huge feat), Chef Lord Esche managed to edge him out by winning the hearts of the esteemed Panel of Judges. Here's the spreadsheet on how I come up with all the computations.

The second episode of Iron Chef is about to make its way soon. This round could get a little creepier than the previous one, though...

Euphonos

For this next episode, this special guest I have today is one of the award-winning female groups of this decade. Please welcome...

FIFTH HARMONY!
The American female group Fifth Harmony finished third in the second season of the American televised singing competition The X Factor in 2012. Following their exit in The X Factor, the group released an extended play "Better Together", along with three studio albums "Reflection", "7/27", and "Fifth Harmony", which all charted within the top ten of the Billboard 200 in the United States.

Their accolades include four iHeartRadio Music Awards, three MTV Europe Music Awards, four MTV Video Music Awards, an American Music Award, a Billboard Women in Music award and six Teen Choice Awards. As of December 2016, in the United States, Fifth Harmony has sold a total of 456,000 albums, seven million digital songs and earned 1.6 billion on-demand streams.

[source]

There is one song coming from the group that would be integral to this episode's secret ingredient! It's time to unveil it below!

I'M IN LOVE WITH A MONSTER!

Aren't we in love with a monster? You don't? That's bad.

Anyway, participants are required to build a team featuring at least two UU Pokemon that belong to the Monster egg group - make sure it was built featuring the Pokemon shown above. As for the Pokemon in the top row, these Pokemon should hold their respective Mega Stones to be qualified; all others remain blank, so they may customize sets at their own discretion.

Participants have until
WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 27, 11 AM GMT -4
to complete your dishes to be sent to the Chairman via PM.

Allez, cuisine!

Euphonos

ADVISORY FROM THE CHAIRMAN:

I have received word from the UU Council that Jirachi has been banned in the tier. Since the team building phase is still on-going, Jirachi will not be allowed in this episode. For those participants who submitted their teams with a Jirachi must make an immediate change.

Thank you for your understanding.

Last edited:

Euphonos

3, 2, 1...

TIME'S UP!

The team building phase phase for this episode is officially over; allow me to introduce the participants eligible to battle the most reputable Iron Chefs!

Participants have until
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 11 AM GMT -4
to challenge any of the available Iron Chefs.

Tagging Iron Chefs CoolStoryBrobat, pokeisfun, Sun, Cynde, and CBU to get themselves ready against these pool of participants.

From the words of my sensei,
Allez, cuisine!

vivalospride

can’t rest in peace cause they diggin me
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
gg sun, i will now fall into a deep state of depression after getting my ass beat by another chef or two :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)