Serious Iwata has died.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This really came out of nowhere. When I first saw the news on Reddit I thought it was a cruel fake, but it turns out it was real.

Iwata was an amazing programmer & an amazing man in general. If it wasn't for him, we wouldn't have gotten Earthbound, Kanto in Gold/Silver & Melee to be released in time for the Gamecube's launch. He even cut his pay when the Wii U wasn't doing well so that he could pay his employers.

I wish the best of the future for his family, friends & Nintendo.

It just looks like Nintendo Directs won't be the same without him & his voice.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It just looks like Nintendo Directs won't be the same without him & his voice.
I wonder who will they have do the Nintendo Directs now.

Iwata passage of ascension? Or maybe a gift from him from beyond?

(its a bit hard to see, but if you look closely on the right of the Nintendo HQ you can see a rainbow)

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I guess this isn't really the way I wanted to come back to Smogon... but it is what it is.

I don't think I've ever cried so much over a man I've never met before. This picture pretty much sums up my feelings

But you know, through this grief, something amazing has been shown: I've never seen the video game industry this united before. The entire industry is mourning because of the loss of this great man. I think this neogaf post is a good collection of how the industry is responding to this tragic news http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=171707123&postcount=1

All these condolences made me realize something. I think the best way to honor Iwata's legacy... is to play some damn fine video games! I myself am playing games he had a major hand in, such as Balloon Fight, Earthbound, Kirby, Pokemon Gold and Silver / Pokemon Stadium, and Super Smash Bros Melee. It doesn't have to be a game he directly worked on either though. I think the best example is this: the scrolling technology he developed for Balloon Fight ended up being used in Super Mario Brothers! Hell, I'm even using an Iwata mii to fight in Super Smash Bros 4, and race in Mario Kart 8!

When you think about it that way, it doesn't matter what video game you're playing, whether its on 3DS, Wii U, Playstation 4, Xbox One, Playstation Vita, or even an Ouya! Modern video games as we know it were shaped in some way by this wonderful creator and leader!

Pent

dumb broad
I drew this in memorial for Iwata. I feel he deserves the honor, he was an amazing man, I hope some of us can strive to the achievements he has gotten to one day, even though no man can replace him properly. He will never be forgotten, and he shall live in our hearts of Nintendo and us. We salute you Iwata, as if you were a Veteran.

Rest in peace, and forever shall you live in happiness.

"In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer" - Satoro Iwata

Honestly, I was one of the people who thought Iwata was holding Nintendo back (I also think Miyamoto is holding Nintendo back). I wanted him to step down Nintendo, but not to die.
While Iwata made a lot of rather questionable decisions (look at E3 2015 Direct), he has done a lot of good things for the industry like helping Sakurai to come up with the very first Smash Bros.

R.I.P Iwata

Like most of you, I also couldn't believe this. And like some of you already said, I have also never felt so sad over someone I've never met before. Rest in piece, Satoru Iwata. I will never ever forget you. Thanks for making my childhood and my entire life so awesome.

Theorymon

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Iwata's Company Wake has started, and some of the people attending tweeted a bit

The guy who tweeted this pic mentioned that Miyamoto's eyes are bloodshot atm. That just makes the whole thing sadder: imagining someone who's usually full of fun and joy like Shigeru Miyamoto crying :(

This one was taken by Yuji Naka

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Iwata's Company Wake has started, and some of the people attending tweeted a bit

The guy who tweeted this pic mentioned that Miyamoto's eyes are bloodshot atm. That just makes the whole thing sadder: imagining someone who's usually full of fun and joy like Shigeru Miyamoto crying :(

This one was taken by Yuji Naka
I think Shigery Miyamoto wasn't the only one who's sad.
Junichi Masuda hasn't been tweeting ever since Iwata's death. I'm honestly worried about him.

Such a great man, I have to thank him for all of his involvement with Nintendo and the games I love. Thank you Satoru Iwata, you were a great man :) Rest in Peace.

Oddly enough, everyone at University was talking about this more than anything else! goes to show how much this man influenced Pokemon and nintendo in general and in turn created an awesome legacy which he has left.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Not to sure if this is the place to post this, bit being it's Iwata's successor I think its semi on topic (if someone doesn't believe so they can make a new thread about it).

Nintendo has selected its newest President thus Iwata's successor: Tatsumi Kimishima.

While Nintendo fans might not know who he is he has been around and holding high titles in the Nintendo offices:

After 27 years working at the Sanwa Bank in 2000 he became the Chief Financial Officer of the Pokemon Company. (Yup, he's a Pokemon alumni, of sorts)
In 2001 he became the first president of Pokemon USA (though soon after in 2002 was succeeded by Akira Chiba).
In 2002 he became president of Nintendo of America (and in 2006 he was succeeded by good ol' Reggie Fils-Aime) and director of Nintendo Co. Ltd..
In 2006 he became a CEO and chairman of the board of Nintendo of America.
In 2013 he became the managing director of Nintendo Co. Ltd., taking the roles of general manager of Corporate Analysis and Administration and general manager of the General Affairs Division.
And now in 2015 he has become a President of all of Nintendo.

A pretty impressive resume. Obviously the guy is very financial and business minded with a background to match, who knows how this will affect Nintendo though considering Nintendo's history of sometimes having money troubles I can see why they may want someone who knows about money being in charge.

If you're feeling a bit uneasy about this, there's been two other promotions. The two whom many thought one would be Iwata's successor, Shigeru Miyamoto and Genyo Takeda, have been given the titles "Creative Fellow" and "Technology Fellow", respectively. What's a "Fellow" title, you may ask? It's a brand new position Nintendo created for an individual "who has advanced knowledge and extensive experience, and holds the role of providing advice and guidance regarding organizational operations in a specialized area". So it sounds like they'll be acting as advisers to Kimishima and doing what they do best, makes sense.

These changes will take affect 2 days from now: On September 16, 2015. Curious if Kimishima will be taking over Iwata's roles in the Nintendo Direct's as well. Oh, and if the guy looks a bit too stern, he's just acting like a Japanese business man. Here's an image of him and Reggie enjoying themselves at what looks to be a company social:

(See, he smiles. :))

It's been a rather long while since Iwata has died and I probably shouldn't be posting this but I'm still really depressed over the fact that he died. The man was among my heroes, and I think I actually wept when he perished...the one person, a huge part of my mind, a huge factor of my inspiration for whatever projects I make, has died just when I didn't expect it.

I hope that our new president will do as well as, or do even better than, Iwata. A good man should be in his place, and Mr. Kimishima seems to be the best fill in.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It's been a rather long while since Iwata has died and I probably shouldn't be posting this but I'm still really depressed over the fact that he died. The man was among my heroes, and I think I actually wept when he perished...the one person, a huge part of my mind, a huge factor of my inspiration for whatever projects I make, has died just when I didn't expect it.

I hope that our new president will do as well as, or do even better than, Iwata. A good man should be in his place, and Mr. Kimishima seems to be the best fill in.
There's nothing wrong with still feeling sad about someone's passing, especially if that person was your role model/idol/hero. Of course that sadness shouldn't keep you from living your life, if it is I would suggest maybe talking with a therapist as that could be a sign of a bigger problem like clinical/major depression. But if it's not than there's nothing wrong with being sad especially when someone has passed. Like I've heard many comedians and comics ho have said they're still sad about Robin William's death. But you also gotta remember you have your own life you got to live so keep moving forward but never forget.

As for Tatsumi Kimishima, has he appeared in a Direct yet? Has there been any Directs since Iwata's passing?

There's nothing wrong with still feeling sad about someone's passing, especially if that person was your role model/idol/hero. Of course that sadness shouldn't keep you from living your life, if it is I would suggest maybe talking with a therapist as that could be a sign of a bigger problem like clinical/major depression. But if it's not than there's nothing wrong with being sad especially when someone has passed. Like I've heard many comedians and comics ho have said they're still sad about Robin William's death. But you also gotta remember you have your own life you got to live so keep moving forward but never forget.

As for Tatsumi Kimishima, has he appeared in a Direct yet? Has there been any Directs since Iwata's passing?
I'm not depressed enough to go about and do something stupid but you have a point. Also no I do not believe there have been any Directs past Iwata's passing but I think we'll get one at some point. I'm interested if the Directs, if continuing, will take a new direction with Kimishima's lead.

Theorymon

I know bumping this over 2 years after the tragic death of Iwata may seem strange, but I felt the need to after a touching tribute to Iwata was found embedded on every Nintendo Switch.

The jist of it is: a popular game Iwata coded on the NES (Golf) is hidden on every Switch. It can only be accessed on July 11th (the day of Iwata's passing), by doing the direct to you motion with the joycons on the home screen. This doesn't work by just setting it to that date: It either has to be a Switch that has never connected to the internet, or it must REALLY be July 11th.

Anyways, it seems like many Japanese internet users are saying that Golf being on every switch is a good luck charm of sorts, that Golf being on every switch means that Iwata is protecting and watching over the Switch.

It's an incredibly bittersweet tribute, especially with the Switch's massive success thus far. I'm teary eyed all over again, I miss you Iwata :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)