SM OU Just another USUM offensive team

Hey, thought I was done with my dumb team ideas? GUESS AGAIN. Same as last time, I'm making an offensive team, but moreso on the bulky offense side of things as opposed to hyper offense.

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 36 Def / 52 SpD / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Bulu was always my favorite of the tapus by far, being fun to use and being less broke by virtue of grassy terrain sometimes being unfavourable in terms of wearing down opponents. That aside, AV tapu bulu is an excellent special/mixed wall that can take on many metagame threats like ash-gren and keldeo while not sacrificing the ability to hit hard.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt

Heatran will forever be the anti-meta mon, always ready to take on top threats in the metagame. Heatran has phenomenal defensive and offensive synergy with tapu bulu, with heatran being able to eliminate many threats that tapu bulu hates dealing with and heatran greatly appreciating grassy terrain recovery, weakened ground type moves, and a hard counter to ash-greninja and keldeo. The utility set is used as it is a phenomonal stall and balance-breaker, capable of trapping and eliminating many threats while being a pain for many teams to switch into.

Zygarde @ Steelium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extremespeed
- Iron Tail
- Dragon Dance

Zygarde is my wincon in the majority of cases, being the only setup sweeper on the team. Thousand arrows is more or less the reason to use zygarde, and extremespeed is there should priority be needed. You may question Z-iron tail, but consider the kinds of mons that are supposed to wall zygarde: unaware clefable, tapu bulu, tapu fini, etc. corkscrew crash OHKOs bulu and does nearly lethal damage to the other two, guaranteeing a kill and rendering the jedi orde-, I mean the opposing team's balance severely broken.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch
- Focus Punch

Mega-Maw is the wallbreaker to end all wallbreakers, and a damn fun mon to use. This Maw is arguably moreso a lure set, as it has both focus punch and ice punch to deal with it's two biggest switch-ins: Heatran and Landorus. Focus Punch also has utility in hitting celesteela and skarmory for damage comparable to thunderpunch, and will punish skarmory heavily if it tries to roost on maw. Play Rough is obligatory STAB and sucker punch is this team's most powerful priority. It completes a steel-fairy-grass core with heatran and zygarde, and in particular has fantastic offensive synergy with zygarde. It's also the team's only fairy-STAB making it invaluable against mega-sableye stall, albeit it's very susceptible to burns, so it must be played carefully.

Now here's what I've been struggling with: The last two mons to put on the team. I obviously still needed a rocker, a special wallbreaker, and a defogger, but unfortunately only managed to get the first two in the pokemon I splashed onto the team.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-Therian, king of OU, is an incredibly splashable pokemon on any team, and this one is no different. Like literally every lando in the meta, this runs the defensive set with rocky helmet (to punish physical attackers) and is the blanket check/counter to physical threats. It also provides the role of rocker and momentum-gainer via u-turn. Not much else to say, it's lando-t, you already know the deal. However, the EV spread is designed to speed creep other landos without sacrificing much bulk.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Ash-gren is our special wallbreaker, who doubles as an offensive spikes setter. I'll be real here, ash-gren was slapped on without too much thought, I knew I needed a special wallbreaker and that spikes support would be nice, so gren was added. Not to say this mon isn't great, it just lacks a bit of synergy with the rest of the team.

Now, the reason I've taken this to RMT is that this team is flawed, as is apparent with the lack of hazard control. While mawile+heatran+zygarde+bulu are incredibly effective together, they do have their flaws that aren't properly covered for by other team members. Mega Charizard Y in particular is a massive threat to this team, being able to hit every member for absurd amounts of damage and making switching a daunting prospect. I've also been frustrated a bit against toxapex, particularly shed shell variants who can't be trapped by heatran. It's able to hand out scald burns and set toxic spikes which are incredibly annoying to zygarde and bulu due to this team's lack of hazard control. Keldeo is also an issue as, thought bulu is a very reliable switch-in, scald burns are a huge risk I have to take on the switch.

I'm open to about any suggestion, but ideally I would like to keep bulu+tran and mawile+zygarde, as I've found them to be great cores, though I have no problem with replacing their sets. And I guess if one of those 4 mons had to be replaced, mawile is the most replaceable.

Tapu Bulu @ Assault Vest
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 36 Def / 52 SpD / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Horn Leech
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Nature's Madness

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt

Zygarde @ Steelium Z
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extremespeed
- Iron Tail
- Dragon Dance

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch
- Focus Punch

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Last edited:

Gross Sweep

Plan Ahead
is a CAP Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hi - I'm locking your RMT for the time being since you're only allowed to post one team every two weeks. This is stated in the forum rules. I'll reopen this thread on July 19 upon request.

Edit: Reopened

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)