Online Competition Kanto x Alola Regional Rumble

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

The next Online Competition for Sun and Moon has been revealed. This is a Single Battle Competition. Kanto and Alolan Pokédex pokemon are allowed, no mythical or box art legendaries, no Mega Stones.

Also the only way to get the Pidgeotite and Steelixite thus far, so definitely worth entering!
Region: International
Registration Period: Thursday, March 9, 2017, at 00:00 UTC, through Thursday, March 16, 2017, at 23:59 UTC
Battle Period: Friday, March 17, 2017, at 00:00 UTC, through Sunday, March 19, 2017, at 23:59 UTC
Battle Type: Single Battle
Battle Limits: 15 Battles per day
Pokémon Restrictions: Kanto and Alola Pokédex Only (The Alola Pokedex contains non Gen 7 Pokemon as well)
Banned Pokémon: Mewtwo, Mew, Zygarde, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Magearna
Banned Items: Mega Stones
Entry Gift: Pidgeotite and Steelixite

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/65b18aaf-bbe2-47fb-97c5-89034f8bd8d5

Last edited:

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pokémon Restrictions: Kanto or Alola Pokédex Only
I wonder how important the word "or" is here. Are you restricted to having either an all-Kanto team or all-Alola team, or can your team have a mix of both. Kind of important to know!

I wonder how important the word "or" is here. Are you restricted to having either an all-Kanto team or all-Alola team, or can your team have a mix of both. Kind of important to know!
The PGL page says, and I quote: "Players may use only Pokémon from the Kanto and Alola region Pokédexes.". Pretty safe to assume that they can be used together imo.
Having said that, this ruleset is kind of funny since SM is pretty much Kanto + Alola anyway, haha. So much that my Alola-Friendly team looks perfectly usable here.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh wow nice timing, this got announced right when I got a massive homework assignment done :D

Anyways, compared to battle of Alola, I notice two big factors.

1: No more Garchomp. Garchomp was by FAR the best Ground-type, so this is just gonna mean even more Alolan Marowak to deal with Tapu Koko, since there aren't really that many good Ground-types...

2. I noticed that this means no Pelipper either, leaving the only weather mon to Alolan Ninetales. While a totally different metagame, the last metagame I played that had a serious lack of weather enablers (Battle of Alola and Battle Spot Special Season 1) were INFESTED with Alolan Ninetale teams. I'd be weary of that thing, it got to the point where I actually started using Brick Break on semi-random stuff!

1: No more Garchomp. Garchomp was by FAR the best Ground-type, so this is just gonna mean even more Alolan Marowak to deal with Tapu Koko, since there aren't really that many good Ground-types...
I thought literally the same thing, but it occurred to me that Garchomp, albeit not from Alola, technically is in the Alola Pokedex. We really need a banlist asap to clarify this stuff.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I thought literally the same thing, but it occurred to me that Garchomp, albeit not from Alola, technically is in the Alola Pokedex. We really need a banlist asap to clarify this stuff.
https://3ds-sp.pokemon-gl.com/dl-regulation/6004

click on "eligible pokemon"

2. I noticed that this means no Pelipper either, leaving the only weather mon to Alolan Ninetales. While a totally different metagame, the last metagame I played that had a serious lack of weather enablers (Battle of Alola and Battle Spot Special Season 1) were INFESTED with Alolan Ninetale teams. I'd be weary of that thing, it got to the point where I actually started using Brick Break on semi-random stuff!
regular ninetales is eligible

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Whoops, amateur mistake on my part cant say and kamikaze !

Hmm looking at the banlist... yeah I don't see this metagame being THAT much different from Alola Friendly. Maybe people will use Zapos, or Ninetales to combat Alolan Ninetales / with Venusaur? Even then those sound sorta niche to me though...

I made a list of Pokemon added to the format in a naked attempt to farm karma on reddit. I replicate it here in a spoiler tag.

Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise, Beedrill, Pidgeot, Arbok, Nidoking, Nidoqueen, Vileplume, Venomoth, Rapidash, Farfetch'd, Dodrio, Dewgong, Onix, Kingler, Electrode, Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, Lickitung, Weezing, Tangela, Mr. Mime, Jynx, Omastar, Kabutops, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres

All of the vanilla versions of the Alolan Variants.

Victreebell, Rhydon, and Seadra are also legal Island Scan Pokemon.

With a few exceptions that reads more like a random selection of PU Pokemon.

I feel the assessment of Zapdos as the only significant addition is a good one.

I could have sworn Nidoking or Nidoqueen one were viable BSS Pokemon at some point, but that may have been a hallucination egged on by the ubiquity of Electric and Fairy threats. Omastar and Kabutops have Swift Swim and Pelipper exists, but I'm not sure that's a reasonable niche either.

Charizard is a Fire-type in a meta desperate for them. I'm not sure that Ground immunity helps it enough to put it over Arcanine and Intimidate though.

Overall I was excited before I embarrassed myself enthusing about getting to use Mega Beedrill (not to mention the starters) because I did not read the rules. As it stands this is pretty much a continuation of my precious pre-Bank meta, which I guess I can't argue with.

Pokémon Restrictions: Kanto and Alola Pokédex Only (The Alola Pokedex contains non Gen 7 Pokemon as well)
Banned Pokémon: Mewtwo, Mew, Zygarde, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Magearna
Wait. So... We can use Pokemon bred in previous generations? If so, I'm moving my Curselax up from ORAS!

Oh, look, even more Gen I pandering! Seriously, GF, give Johto and Sinnoh some love. Now that the 20th anniversary is officially over, you no longer have an excuse. But I digress.

Anyway, what's interesting is that the page doesn't explicitly say anything about transferred Pokemon being allowed or banned. I assume they're allowed, since that's the only way to get a good chunk of the Kanto dex. I'll only be entering this competition for the Mega Stones anyway, so I plan to enter with a semi-joke team (either Monotype or a really gimmicky strategy) and play Just For Fun (tm).

I'm also curious to know if the transferred Pokemon are allowed. I have a huge chunk of max IV Pokemon that were RNG'd in SoulSilver and Black.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I've been wishing venusaur and nidoking/queen were legal in vgc17 for a while now and they look like they'd be really good in this meta!

It seems I can recycle the team I used in the Alola Friendly... but with some fine-tuning, such as dropping Porygon2 (as I only used it once in 32 battles). I wonder what to add to support an Aurora Veil + Glass Cannons team.

The rules don't mention whether the Pokemon must be created in a specific game, though... can someone check the japanese rules to see if transferred Pokemon can be used?

Lionyx

is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
yo what if they made regional rumbles for each opposite regions ? that would make kanto-alola, johto-kalos, hoenn-unova and Sinnoh would be left alone !! #Gen4RemakesConfirmed

The rules don't mention whether the Pokemon must be created in a specific game, though... can someone check the japanese rules to see if transferred Pokemon can be used?
From what I've read (on the French rules though, so a japanese confirmation would be welcome), AlolanDex Pokémon have to be born in Pokémon Sun & Moon, while KantoDex Pokémon have to come from Pokémon Red, Blue, Yellow versions. While it may be a translation error and the base rules were maybe stating that Pokémon from the virtual versions were also allowed, that may affect the viability of some Pokémon, since those who can only come from the virtual versions will not be as good as the Alolan-born ones, due to the incapacity of their region to produce eggs (and therefore, directly make a Pokémon with the expected IVs, the EVs remaining untouched when a Pokémon is transfered) õ_õ However, nothing about the transfers from Gen 3, 4, 5 or 6

Hopefully most of them are on both the Kantonian and the Alolan dex!

Last edited:
Kanto Dex 'mons from RBY games and Alolan Dex 'mons from SM games
Not sure about that. Compare the regional rumble pokemon/moves/items regs (https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/dl-regulation/6004) against the Alola friendly regs (https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/dl-regulation/6003).

The Regional Rumble page does not state that Pokémon are restricted to those that are caught, hatched from Eggs, or received as a Mystery Gift in Pokémon Sun or Pokémon Moon, whereas the Alola friendly page does.

It sure will be added to PS for us to practice, when the dev team has the time to implement it (and when we know more about which Pokémon from which games are exactly allowed so the learnsets can be adjusted, I guess).
I think Pokémon obtained in Sun and Moon,ORAS,XY and the RBY VC games are allowed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)