SM OU krunchy bois, an SM OU Team

landorus-therian.gif
tyranitar-mega.gif
tapukoko.gif

the krunchy bois

For some reason, I have always neglected using Mega-Ttar, despite loving it's non-mega form and loving it's design. This team was designed to fix that.

tyranitar-mega.png

Obviously I started with Tyranitar, considering it was the pokemon I decided to build this team around. I went for an offensive dragon dance set.
tyranitar-mega.png
tapu-koko.png

Next I added Tapu-Koko, as it's a powerful offensive pivot that weakens the opponent's team and gives Tyranitar opportunities to set up with well timed U-Turn's,
tyranitar-mega.png
tapu-koko.png
landorus-therian.png

Landorus-T was added to the team to provide a check to opposing Landorus-T. This Landorus started out as a defensive rocks set, but was later changed to a scarf set for a quicker offensive output and defog utility.
tyranitar-mega.png
tapu-koko.png
landorus-therian.png
chansey.png

My team had no good way to take hard hitting special attacks, and so Chansey was added. This addition prompted my decision to change Landorus into a scarf set, so Chansey could pick up the slack when it came to hazards, and it made this team into classic Chansey offense.
tyranitar-mega.png
tapu-koko.png
landorus-therian.png
chansey.png
latios.png
magearna.png

These next two pokemon were added in one fell swoop, as they have decent type coverage between each other, and both provide much needed resistances for my team.
Latios is a little unconvential, being my Z-Move user with Gigavolt Havoc, primarily to lure in and destroy Celesteela, which is an issue for my team if Tapu-Koko is compromised, as well as a great weapon against bulky waters such as Toxapex.
Magearna adds a great slow volt-switch, as well as powerful coverage moves, and immunities to both Dragon and Poison.

The Team

tyranitar-mega.gif

Tyranitar-Mega @ Tyranitarite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

The leader of the krunchy bois is a powerhouse, able to destroy things on switch in, or set up a dragon dance once and sweep the opponents faster scarfed pokemon have been taken care of by the other two thirds of my offensive core. Stone Edge is an incredibly powerful STAB move, which also hits a large portion of the metagame for neutral or supereffective damage. Ice Punch is used primarily to kill outright, or put a huge dent in Landorus-T even at -1, doing over half consistently. Ice is Also a great coverage type, hitting many common types. Fire Punch is one of the few ways this team has to deal with steel types, which are a problem for Tyranitar, and not resisted by anything on my team.

tapukoko.gif

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 64 HP / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

The 2nd member of the krunchy bois is a powerful pivot with an unconventional EV spread. I put together this spread after observing my teams weakness to Bisharp. This spread allows Tapu-Koko to be gaurenteed to survive a +4 Dread Plate Adamant Sucker Punch, albeit as long as there are not rocks on my side of the field. My special attack was preserved as high as it can be to survive the hit, giving me a chance to still OHKO Bisharp with Thunderbolt. Hidden Power Ice forms the BoltBeam combo, giving Tapu-Koko great coverage. Taunt and U-Turn being on the set means that Tapu-Koko is usually my lead, presenting hazards from being set up and U-Turning out into the appropriate 'Mon afterwards.

+4 252+ Atk Dread Plate Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 64 HP / 0 Def Tapu Koko: 251-296 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
192 SpA Zap Plate Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Bisharp in Electric Terrain: 271-319 (100 - 117.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

landorus-therian.gif

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Defog

Lando-T is an incredible Pokemon, being able to fulfill many roles on a team. For this team I am using a Choice Scarf set to launch powerful Earthquakes, as well as a fast U-turner to keep up momentum. HP Ice is used primarily on the predicted switch in of opposing Landorus, but is also useful for denting Dragon/Flying types such as Dragonite and Salamence. Defog was added for hazards control, which is important for my team as Pokemon are constantly switching or volturning out.

chansey.gif

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Chansey is my only dedicated wall, and an amazing one. Chansey serves mainly as a defensive pivot, giving me safe switches into something else after spreading status, healing, or setting hazards. Chansey has it's only type weakness, fighting, covered by half of my team, with only one of the two being weak as well. There isn't much else to say about Chansey, other than it is a solid glue that holds my team together.

latios.gif

Latios @ Electrium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Thunderbolt

Latios has dropped the usual Calm-Mind or defog in favorite of Thunderbolt, in order to provide a powerful electric attack in the form of Gigavolt Havoc. This gives Latios coverage in places it did not have previously, as well as providing an easy OHKO on Toxapex and Celesteela. Latios is my premier wallbreaker, which also has great synergy with the rest of my team.

magearna.gif

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Magearna has quickly become a favorite of mine to use in battle, tanking nearly all special attacks, bar a Drought boosted Fire Blast from Charizard Y. Even with minimum special investment, Fleur Cannon still hits like a truck, and HP Fire is my only other fire coverage on the team. Iron head is used over Flash Cannon or Ice Beam as I prefer the option for physical STAB and the chance to flinch, giving Magearna more versatility. Volt Switch is used for a few reasons, for electric coverage, momentum, and the ability to get Magearna out of unfavorable positions, such as against a specially defensive Celesteela, or Toxapex, which it can hardly touch.

Final Thoughts

I'm excited to hear your thoughts on my first ever RMT, and I hope to incorporate any constructive criticism into my team, and to learn how to better prepare teams in the future. Have a good day and thanks for reading.

Reactions: DKM

DKM

Are you feeling nervous? Are you having fun?
is a Social Media Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Hello, this is a cool team. Ttar + Koko is a powerful core.

This team has obvious weaknesses though, most mentioned above.

645-s.png choicescarf.png--> flyiniumz.png
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Fly

This team struggles alot with stall, so changing Landorus to your main breaker should help with that.

Smack down + Earthquake beats Skarm and Celesteela while Z-fly hits Quagsire or Tangrowth.

SD Landorus also softens up balance, taking out things like Gliscor, Tapu Bulu, opposing Landorus etc. to help Tyranitar sweep.

381.png electriumz.png --> choicescarf.png
Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Trick/Thunder Wave/Earthquake

After changing Landorus to Z it makes sense to change Latios to Choice Scarf.

It still carries emergency defog. As for the last move you could probably use any of the 3.

Trick helps against fat teams or non-Z setup sweepers, Thunder Wave can cripple things like Magearna or Celesteela that switch in, and Earthquake is mainly for Heatran and Magearna.

113.png --> 036.png
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind/Knock Off/Healing Wish

Chansey is a great defensive pokemon but is usually better on stall as a dedicated special wall. You already have Magearna being one of the best special defensive pivots in the game.

Clefable gives you an answer to things like Zygarde, Lopunny and Medicham who otherwise break this team pretty easily.

It still provides Stealth Rock, while also giving a solid status absorber.

The last move is customisable to an extent. Knock Off cripples things like Heatran or Toxapex that like to switch-in, Calm Mind makes it a defensive wincon in some matchups.

Healing Wish is less common but can heal your Landorus or Tyranitar to help them keep breaking.

That's all I have to say about this team, I hope these changes help if you decide to use them :]

Importable: https://pokepast.es/5814467a46067803

~~248-m.png785.png645-s.png036.png381.png801.png~~​

Although I think the idea of this team is solid, the team is kind of wierd to execute. Your hazard control is very clunky for team so weak to webs and T-Spikes.

I think my biggest problem with this team is Chansey. It's just so out of place on a team so heavily concerned with momentum. With an AV magearna it feels completely unnecessary. My solution is basically the opposite to the above poster, that you'd do better to use this slot offensively, with Excadrill. Having a TTar makes it look like you'll have a Band, so something like this can provide surprise utility while remaining offensively useful.

Excadrill @ Groundium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

This would provide you with much better hazard control and setting than you already have.

Here's my take on the team. It might be a bit more VoltTurn offence than you were going for, but I think that's the best way to use TTar.
Magearna @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor / Defog
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Memento

Excadrill @ Groundium Z
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch

Hello, this is a cool team. Ttar + Koko is a powerful core.

This team has obvious weaknesses though, most mentioned above.

View attachment 96872 View attachment 96873--> View attachment 96874
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Smack Down
- Fly

This team struggles alot with stall, so changing Landorus to your main breaker should help with that.

Smack down + Earthquake beats Skarm and Celesteela while Z-fly hits Quagsire or Tangrowth.

SD Landorus also softens up balance, taking out things like Gliscor, Tapu Bulu, opposing Landorus etc. to help Tyranitar sweep.

View attachment 96875 View attachment 96876 --> View attachment 96873
Latios (M) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Defog
- Trick/Thunder Wave/Earthquake

After changing Landorus to Z it makes sense to change Latios to Choice Scarf.

It still carries emergency defog. As for the last move you could probably use any of the 3.

Trick helps against fat teams or non-Z setup sweepers, Thunder Wave can cripple things like Magearna or Celesteela that switch in, and Earthquake is mainly for Heatran and Magearna.

View attachment 96877 --> View attachment 96878
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind/Knock Off/Healing Wish

Chansey is a great defensive pokemon but is usually better on stall as a dedicated special wall. You already have Magearna being one of the best special defensive pivots in the game.

Clefable gives you an answer to things like Zygarde, Lopunny and Medicham who otherwise break this team pretty easily.

It still provides Stealth Rock, while also giving a solid status absorber.

The last move is customisable to an extent. Knock Off cripples things like Heatran or Toxapex that like to switch-in, Calm Mind makes it a defensive wincon in some matchups.

Healing Wish is less common but can heal your Landorus or Tyranitar to help them keep breaking.

That's all I have to say about this team, I hope these changes help if you decide to use them :]

Importable: https://pokepast.es/5814467a46067803

~~View attachment 96879View attachment 96880View attachment 96872View attachment 96878View attachment 96875View attachment 96881~~​
Although I think the idea of this team is solid, the team is kind of wierd to execute. Your hazard control is very clunky for team so weak to webs and T-Spikes.

I think my biggest problem with this team is Chansey. It's just so out of place on a team so heavily concerned with momentum. With an AV magearna it feels completely unnecessary. My solution is basically the opposite to the above poster, that you'd do better to use this slot offensively, with Excadrill. Having a TTar makes it look like you'll have a Band, so something like this can provide surprise utility while remaining offensively useful.

Excadrill @ Groundium Z
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

This would provide you with much better hazard control and setting than you already have.

Here's my take on the team. It might be a bit more VoltTurn offence than you were going for, but I think that's the best way to use TTar.
Magearna @ Assault Vest
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor / Defog
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Memento

Excadrill @ Groundium Z
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stone Edge

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch
- Fire Punch
Thanks to both of you for your suggestions! I'll be sure to try both and see what works best for me.

Reactions: DKM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)