UU Linoone

justdrew

is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
[OVERVIEW]

Linoone is the only Pokemon with access to both Belly Drum and Extreme Speed, making it a unique cleaner and sweeper in UU. Linoone is able to outspeed and beat most bulky Pokemon after setting up due to its coverage moves, Seed Bomb and Stomping Tantrum, that can KO most Pokemon resistant to Extreme Speed. Linoone's ability Gluttony, with a Figy Berry, means Linoone can almost always use Belly Drum. However, even after using Belly Drum, Linoone is revenge killed by every faster Normal-resistant or -immune Pokemon such as Cobalion, Gengar, and Scizor, which uses Bullet Punch to deal massive damage. Because of its low defensive stats, Linoone can be OHKOed by many offensive threats, which makes setting up against offensive teams difficult even at full health. Furthermore, Linoone's subpar stats leave it outclassed by other setup sweepers that use priority moves like Belly Drum Azumarill and Swords Dance Scizor. Linoone is a one-time sweeper that is utterly useless before setting up and is quite frail.

[SET]
name: Belly Drum Sweeper
move 1: Belly Drum
move 2: Extreme Speed
move 3: Stomping Tantrum
move 4: Seed Bomb
item: Figy Berry
ability: Gluttony
nature: Adamant
evs: 148 HP / 248 Atk / 8 Def / 88 SpD / 16 Spe

Moves
========

Belly Drum increases Linoone's Attack to +6, which makes it an extremely powerful offensive threat. Extreme Speed is a strong +2 priority STAB attack that OHKOes Pokemon such as Latias, Infernape, and Hydreigon after a boost from Belly Drum. Linoone also has great coverage moves that allow it to break through Normal-resistant walls: Seed Bomb, which lets Linoone break through bulky Water-types like Swampert, Suicune, and Seismitoad that are not OHKOed by +6 Extreme Speed, and Stomping Tantrum, which allows Linoone to damage slow and bulky Steel-types like Mega Aggron and Mega Steelix; however, it does not OHKO them even at +6.

Set Details
========

16 Speed EVs are used to outspeed Adamant Metagross so Linoone can OHKO it with Stomping Tantrum. Linoone also Speed ties with Timid Primarina and Jolly Bewear. The HP, Defense, and Special Defense EVs make it so Linoone survives Mega Aerodactyl's Stone Edge, Latias's Draco Meteor, and Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch after Stealth Rock. The defensive investment also allows it to survive Hydreigon's Draco Meteor and Choice Band Scizor's U-turn from full HP. A Figy Berry combined with Gluttony allows Linoone to use Belly Drum once and completely recover all of the lost HP or take any one hit that would not OHKO it and gives it enough HP to use Belly Drum.

Usage Tips
========

Linoone is only used as a late-game sweeper. For Linoone to be an effective sweeper, all faster threats that are immune to or resist Extreme Speed must be KOed or severely weakened. These threats include fast Ghost-types like Chandelure, Steel-types like Cobalion, and Rock-types like Mega Aerodactyl. Linoone should not switch directly into any attacks or offensive threats. Instead, bring it in to set up either after a teammate has fainted or with the support of a Volt Switch or U-turn user against Pokemon that cannot OHKO Linoone.

Team Options
========

Linoone is most effective on hyper offense. Specifically, Linoone thrives on Aurora Veil offense due to the increased number of setup opportunities the playstyle provides. Aurorus and Alolan Sandslash are the only viable Aurora Veil setters in the tier, so they make good partners. Linoone is very frail, so checks to Fighting-types such as Latias, Chandelure, and Azumarill pair very well with it. Scizor threatens Linoone greatly, so checks to it such as Cobalion and Chandelure make good partners. Linoone also appreciates support from stallbreakers like Heracross and Haxorus that weaken walls and allow Linoone to clean more easily. Fighting-types like Terrakion, Cobalion, and Infernape also pair nicely with Linoone because they are able to beat the Rock- and Steel-types that check it. Mega Manectric is a good teammate for Linoone because it can pressure physical attackers with Intimidate, check Steel-types, and use Volt Switch to bring Linoone in safely.

Other Options
=============

Linoone can run more Speed to outspeed Pokemon like Primarina. Specifically, 196 Speed EVs allow Linoone to outspeed Pokemon such as Tsareena, Chandelure, and Mega Blastoise.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Steel-types**: Pokemon such as Mega Aggron, Cobalion, Doublade, Steelix, and Scizor are able to reliably take any attack from Linoone and KO or heavily damage it in return.

**Faster Normal-resistant and -immune Pokemon**: Pokemon like Mega Aerodactyl, Cobalion, and Terrakion cannot be OHKOed by +6 Extreme Speed and OHKO Linoone in return. Chandelure and Gengar are immune to Extreme Speed and can outspeed Linoone and revenge kill it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eyan

sleep is the cousin of death
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Isn't Throat Chop superior than Shadow Claw? 10 more BP can be huge, while hitting the same targets
Unless you're part of QC, try not to comment on analyses that are still in the WIP phase. Even QC members would only mention things regarding structure or procedure as opposed to the content itself, since the WIP tag screams "my content isn't ready yet"

Reactions: asa
Unless you're part of QC, try not to comment on analyses that are still in the WIP phase. Even QC members would only mention things regarding structure or procedure as opposed to the content itself, since the WIP tag screams "my content isn't ready yet"
Since the analysis is out of the WIP stage, I think I can comment now, right?

Isn't Throat Chop superior than Shadow Claw? 10 more BP can be huge, while hitting the same targets
I'm not QC, so it's up to you/the QC team
Using some calcs to show the damage of Throat Chop x Shadow Claw (and in some cases, vs. Stomping Tantrum)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 402-474 (99.5 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Throat Chop vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 458-540 (113.3 - 133.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 60 HP / 0 Def Linoone: 241-285 (77.2 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+6 252+ Atk Linoone Shadow Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 223-263 (79.3 - 93.5%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Throat Chop vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 255-300 (90.7 - 106.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Shadow Claw vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 210-248 (65.8 - 77.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Stomping Tantrum vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 226-266 (70.8 - 83.3%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Throat Chop vs. 240 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 238-282 (74.6 - 88.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Shadow Claw vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 248-292 (77.7 - 91.5%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Throat Chop vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Cofagrigus: 282-332 (88.4 - 104%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

(in the case that someone is using defensive Cofagrigus)
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Shadow Claw vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 356-420 (98 - 115.7%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Throat Chop vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Metagross: 406-478 (111.8 - 131.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

(using the AV set)
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Shadow Claw vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Decidueye: 566-666 (190.5 - 224.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Throat Chop vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Decidueye: 646-760 (217.5 - 255.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Shadow Claw vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Bronzong: 392-462 (116.3 - 137%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+6 252+ Atk Linoone Throat Chop vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Bronzong: 448-528 (132.9 - 156.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
In Jellicent, Decidueye and Bronzong' cases, the only difference the adicional damage, which is irrelevant, but looking to Choice Band Scizor, Doublade and Metagross (some of the roadblocks to Linoone), the difference is huge, between 9%-15%, and since Throat Chop get the same coverage that Shadow Claw do, I don't see a reason to not use it outside the bigger critical hit chance

Pak

fly higher
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
For future reference, while it was a bit pushy, outside input is generally accepted. However, it is ultimately up the QC team whether or not the changes proposed are worthwhile and should be implemented. Anyway, now onto the check.

Overview
  • Expand on the coverage options you touch on and their overall usefulness for Linoone
  • The fourth line doesn't add much and should be removed
  • Bring up more flaws Linoone deals with like its initial lack of offensive presence, somewhat limited coverage options due to only having 2 free moveslots, and that it's pretty easily revenge killed by stuff like Scizor, Cobalion, and now Gengar even at +6
  • Basically, make sure you drive home that even though it is a unique threat, Linoone really isn't that great of a mon and has its flaws
Set
  • You don't need Linoone in the set name. Make it something like "Belly Drum Sweeper"
  • See below regarding moves
  • Remove Salac Berry. 50% berries like Figy should be used exclusively.
Moves
  • Mention Belly Drum and what it does for Linoone
  • The Seed Bomb line should be compressed. It can just be something like "Seed Bomb lets Linoone break through bulky Water-types like Swampert and Suicune that can stomach a +6 Extremespeed."
  • While Throat Chop is better than Shadow Claw, neither of them accomplish much for Linoone. Stomping Tantrum deserves its own slot since its simply the superior option and still hits every UU Ghost super effectively.
Set Details
  • Nitpicky, but the first half of the Attack investment line is unnecessary and should be removed
  • The QC team is still discussing the optimal EV spread and it will be included in a future check
Usage Tips
  • Late game sweeper and cleaner are pretty much the same thing
  • The last line doesn't add much of anything
Team Options
  • Make Aurora Veil the second line since that's primarily what Linoone is used with
  • It seems weird to mention switch-ins to certain moves after stating it fits best on hyper offense which largely relies on overwhelming the opponent offensively and not on defensive synergy
  • Bring up wallbreakers that can open up opportunities for Linoone to sweep later on
Other Options
  • Add Throat Chop here
Checks and Counters
  • Chandelure and now Gengar can be lumped in with faster normal resists
QC 1/3

Eyan

is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Overview
  • The second and third point in the overview are relevant in a sense, but you're not relating it to how it's helping its role as a Belly Drum sweeper. Right now, they just sound very "on their own", and it's just going to show even more when it's written into a paragraph. For example, the second point about being fast enough to outspeed bulky Pokemon should place more emphasis on the fact that it's able to beat those Pokemon after setting up, while the third point should have the emphasis on helping Linoone gain more setup opportunities.
  • The fourth point can be merged with the second point pretty easily, since they're both talking about Pokemon that are bulky and require use of the coverage moves.
  • For the fifth point regarding four-moveslot syndrome, I don't think Linoone really needs anything bar the 2 coverage moves. Stomping Tantrum and Seed Bomb are all you really need for the most part.
  • In the sixth point, Scizor isn't really faster than Linoone; I get the part about Bullet Punch, but make it more clear then.
  • You can remove the bit about it being one of a kind; mention parts like it only being a one-time sweeper with utility otherwise, since it offers nothing defensively unlike Azumarill and Scizor and does very little damage without setting up.
Set
  • Just use "Belly Drum Sweeper" for the set name, nothing more.
  • use 148 HP / 248 Atk / 8 Def / 88 SpD / 16 Spe for the EV spread. Normally, I wouldn't compromise attacking power, but considering the entire point of Linoone is being able to set up, it's worth it here. the Speed allows Linoone to outspeed up to Adamant Metagross; not the biggest thing, but it's more worth it than any other thing you'd invest up to. The HP, Def, and SpD EVs allow Linoone to survive a Stone Edge from Mega Aerodactyl, Latias's Draco Meteor, and Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch after Stealth Rock. You also take a Choice Band-boosted U-turn from Scizor and Hydreigon's Draco Meteor from full. For the record, Stomping Tantrum also hits literally every relevant Ghost-type in the tier (Gengar, Chandelure, Alolan Marowak, Doublade) bar Decidueye, which isn't prominent, and Jellicent, which gets KOed by Seed Bomb.
Moves
  • I literally have no idea what's the point of fourth line. Was it just a remnant of Shadow Claw? Either way, remove it.
  • Same thing with the last line. Stomping Tantrum is now the only slash, so the point should only be talking about that move and what it does for Linoone. Cobalion, Terrakion, Mega Aggron, and Mega Steelix are not good examples anyway. The first two outspeed Linoone anyway, while the latter two don't get KOed easily even by +6 Linoone. You could mention chip damage, though.
Set Details
  • Update to match the new EV spread.
Usage Tips
  • Give specific mentions to situations to bring it in or what to set up against. Knowing calcs with Linoone is pretty important tbh.
Team Options
  • Points themselves aren't bad, but the organisation is horrendous. When you write this up, this is going to be a full proper paragraph, so please make sure it actually reads like one and not a bunch of individual sentences haphazardly strung together.
Other Options (this should be in bullet points before 2 QC checks too but w/e)
  • less Speed EVs and more bulk isn't really the case here anymore, but more Speed can be relevant with specific examples now. Your points for why having more HP is bad are flat-out wrong anyway; Speed has absolutely nothing to do with outspeeding walls, since you do that anyway. It's about those offensive Pokemon with middling Speed.
  • Remove Throat Chop completely. Stomping Tantrum + Seed Bomb literally covers everything Throat Chop would bar Decidueye and Bronzong, both of which are not very relevant at all. Hence, this move's niche isn't really valid anywhere.
Checks and Counters
  • This section needs to be reworked. First off, your format for this is completely off. Take a look at others for an example.
  • You mention a Chandelure point but have Gengar in the description. These two should both be under "Faster Normal-resistant Pokemon" (better phrasing than your own last point). The other point should be "bulky Steel-types" like Aggron, Steelix, Doublade, and even Scizor.
From what I've seen, you didn't implement the previous QC check properly, with some stuff left out here and there or not done well. I'm not going to stamp this just yet just because right now it's hard to decipher things. Implement my check and tag me when you think it's good enough for the stamp. Only after I do so can you write this up into paragraphs.

For the record, I'm not going to fault you for this now, but when you do write it into paragraphs, fix every single formatting error as well as basic Pokegrammar and sentence structure ones. I can guarantee you that I'm not letting this go into GP with how it's turning out to be. It's your first analysis but hope you'll understand.

Eyan I implimented your comments. I implemented "Poke-Grammer", organized my bullet points so that they will synergize when put into paragraph form, and reworked all the sections. I'm confused what to do for the Other Options portion. Your check told me to remove all my previous points except one. If Linoone has all it needs int hat one set I dont really have a Other Options section.
just mention whatever may **seem appealing** for linoone and why its outclassed

Eyan

Yeah, and to define whatever seems appealing, it's basically anything that has an actual ladder / tournament niche outside of it being a low ladder gimmick. For example, Throat Chop had literally no niche; it was just another move you could run to get less coverage, so you wouldn't mention that. I wouldn't always mention why it's outclassed because sometimes it's not outclassed, just that the role of that option isn't as pronounced compared to others (e.g. Dual boosting Gliscor with Groundium Z on Gliscor analysis). For Linoone, you literally just need to mention how it can outspeed more things (be specific) with more Speed investment since the analysis spread is bulky. If something has mediocre options outside of the set, then so be it.

Eyan

You might have misunderstood what I meant, but
For Linoone, you literally just need to mention how it can outspeed more things (be specific) with more Speed investment since the analysis spread is bulky
That goes in Other Options. Just take a look at what else Linoone can outspeed like 176 Speed EVs outspeeds Adamant Lucario. Not super relevant either, but hey, it's as much of a niche as outspeeding Metagross.

Remove the "(Linoone)" from the set name.

Aside from that, you have to mention in Set Details how Gluttony enables the set pretty much, since it allows Figy Berry to activate at 50% of Linoone's HP (provided it has an even HP stat of course). Mention that you have to outspeed Metagross to be able to hit it with Stomping Tantrum since it resists Extreme Speed (mention other things you'd outspeed too). Mention that those EVs letting it take hits also allows it to have more opportunities to set up without its sweep getting halted early.

In Checks and Counters, maybe I wasn't clear, but I meant that there's just "Bulky Steel-types" and "Faster Normal-resistant Pokemon", and the Ghost-types fall into the latter category too because it's true and they check Linoone for the same reason.

QC 2/3 after this. Write it up.

Sorry for running up with some suggestions again lol.
- I think that Chandelure is the big one for 196 Speed as it is immune to Extreme Speed.
- In team options I'd suggest adding Mega Manectric; Intimidate allows it to pressure physical threats, it can also pressure Steel-types, also, its ability to bring in Linoone with Volt Switch is really nice.
e: I'd also flesh out C&C a bit more, for example, u should give Ghost-types their own section and add priority as a section cuz of how frail Linoone is. And maybe add "offensive pressure" as this doesn't give linoone an opportunity to set up.

Last edited:

justdrew

is an official Team Rateris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SCL Champion
PUPL Champion
Eyan said to combine Ghost-types and Normal-type resists so I'm going to stick with that approach. But everything is really good I'm adding that. I wrote it up in paragraphs and have implemented all comments so I believe I'm ready for QC 3/3 or GP not sure what I am on.

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
3/3

Edit: Wascally Wabbit you can put this into GP now and post as such in the GP queue.

Edit2:
Linoone also appreciates support from stall breakers like Heracross and Haxorus who are able to clean through bulky Steel and Rock-type walls who prevent Linoone from sweeping. Wall breakers like Terrakion, Cobalion, and Infernape also pair nicely with Linoone because they are able to kill the Rock and Steel-types that check Linoone.
These two sentences stick out as issues tbh, I'd probably reword this to say either Fighting-types would make a great partner because they get through steel / rocks. And another one to say wallbreakers because they weaken walls and allow Linoone to clean easily.

Remove Nidoqueen mention in OO.

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It should only be switched in when it is able to outspeed or live an attack so that it can eat its Figy Berry and begins to sweep. Linoone can switch in and set up against walls without access to Scald such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, and Alolan Muk.
The first sentence here should clearly state against Pokemon that it outspeeds or lives an attack from. The second sentence should probably be restated to say switch in freely. Honestly both should say that and emphasize this is either after a Pokemon from your side has gotten sacked or through U-turn / V-Switch.

A Cake Wearing A Hat

moist and crusty
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader
Add Remove Comments/Directions (AC=add comma, RC=remove comma, RP=remove period)
[OVERVIEW]

Linoone is the only Pokemon with access to both Belly Drum and Extreme Speed, (AC) making it a unique cleaner and sweeper in the UU tier. Linoone is able to outspeed and beat most bulky Pokemon after setting up due to it's its coverage moves, Seed Bomb and Stomping Tantrum, that can KO most Pokemon resistant to Extreme Speed. Linoone's ability Gluttony makes it a threatening offensive presense because it is rarely out of range of its Figy Berry. Gluttony with a Figy Berry makes it so that Linoone can almost always use Belly Drum. (Talked this over with you, you said it was ok to make this change.) It However, even after using Belly Drum, Linoone is revenge killed by every faster pokemon resistant to Extreme Speed, even at +6, (RC) Normal-resistant Pokemon such as Cobalion, Gengar, and Scizor, which uses Bullet Punch to deal massive damage. Low defensive stats Because of its low defensive stats, (AC) Linoone is threatened can be OHKOed by many offensive threats, (AC) which makes setting up against offensive teams (without this addition, this directly contradicts with an earlier segment) difficult even at full health. Furthermore, (AC) Linoone's subpar stats make leave it outclassed by other set-up priority setup sweepers that use priority moves like Belly Drum Azumarill and Swords Dance Scizor. It is a one time sweeper being quite frail and Linoone is a one-time sweeper that is utterly useless before setting up and is quite frail.

[SET]

Moves
========

Belly Drum is what makes Linoone such an offensive threat. By sharply increasing it's attack to +6 all pokemon non resistant to Extreme Speed will take massive damage or most likely be KO'd. Extreme Speed gives Linoone the opportunity to hit, Pokemon who don't resist Normal typing, first and KO Pokemon such as Latias, Infernape, Hydreigon, and other powerful and fast scarfers. It Belly Drum increases Linoone's Attack to +6, which makes it an extremely powerful offensive threat. Extreme Speed is a strong +2 priority STAB attack that OHKOes Pokemon such as Latias, Infernape, and Hydreigon after a boost from Belly Drum. Linoone also has great coverage moves that allow it to break through Normal-type resistant Normal-resistant walls. (RP) These include: (add colon) Seed Bomb, which lets Linoone break through bulky Water-types like Swampert, Suicune, and Seismitoad that can live a are not OHKOed by +6 Extreme Speed, and Stomping Tantrum, (AC) which allows Linoone to get chip damage and slow and bulky Steel-types like Mega Aggron and Mega Steelix but does not OHKO them even at +6.

Set Details
========

16 speed allows Linoone Speed EVs are used to outspeed Pokemon up to Adamant Metagross so Linoone can OHKO it with Stomping Tantrum. Linoone has to outspeed Metagross so it can click Stomping Tantrum. (Kreme permission) Linoone also speed Speed ties with Timid Primarina and all max Speed base 60's Jolly Bewear. The HP, Def, and SpD Defense, and Special Defense EVs make it so Linoone survives a Stone Edge from Mega Aerodactyl Mega Aerodactyl's Stone Edge, Latias's Draco Meteor, and Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch after Stealth Rock. It The defensive investment also allows it to live a Choice Band-boosted U-turn from Scizor and Hydreigon's Draco Meteor and Choice Band Scizor's U-turn from full HP. Defensive investment allows Linoone to take hits and have more opportunites to set up without its sweeping potential being halted. (this is kinda really redundant with the past few sentences. Fix it.) Figy Berry gives Linoone back 50% of it's HP allowing it to Belly Drum. Gluttony makes Linoone eat its berry once it goes below 50% HP which is optimal for Linoone because of its frailty. A Figy Berry combined with Gluttony allows Linoone to use Belly Drum once and completely recover all of the lost HP or lets it take any one hit that would not OHKO it and still have enough HP to use Belly Drum.

Usage Tips
========

Linoone is only used as a late game late-game sweeper. For Linoone to be an effective sweeper, (AC) all faster threats who that resist Extreme Speed must be either very low on HP or previously KO'd KOed or severely weakened. These threats include fast Ghost-types like Chandelure, Steel-types like Cobalion, and Rock-types like Mega Aerodactyl. Linoone should not be switched in on switch directly into any attacks or offensive threats. It should only be brought in when it is able to outspeed or live an attack from the opposing Pokémon. Linoone can also come in for free off of a Volt Switch or U Turn that will prevent it from taking any damage. Instead, bring it in to set up either after a teammate has fainted or with the support of a Volt Switch or U-turn user against Pokemon that cannot OHKO Linoone. (Approved by Kreme)

Team Options
========

Linoone is most effective on hyper offense. An archetype of hyper offense, Aurora Veil works well with Linoone because with Aurora Veil Linoone is able to set up on a large majority of pokemon and is able to be an effective sweeper. Specifically, Linoone thrives on Aurora Veil offense due to the increased number of setup opportunities the playstyle provides. Aurorus and Alolan Sandslash are the only viable Aurora Veil setters in the tier, so they make good partners. Linoone is very frail, (AC) so Pokemon that can revenge kill and pressure fighting types like checks to Fighting-types such as Latias, Chandelure, and Azumarill pair very well with Linoone it. Priority users, the most common being Scizor and Azumarill, threaten Linoone making Steel-types such as Scizor and Cobalion good pairs as they can stomache boosted priority moves. Scizor threatens Linoone greatly, so checks to it such as Cobalion and Chandelure make good partners. (Approved by Kreme, azu just gets espeeded) Linoone also appreciates support from stall breakers stallbreakers like Heracross and Haxorus who that weaken walls and allow for Linoone to clean easily. Fighting-types like Terrakion, Cobalion, and Infernape also pair nicely with Linoone because they are able to kill beat the Rock Rock- and Steel-types that check Linoone it. Mega Manectric is also a good pair for Linoone. Intimidate allows it to pressure physical threats, it can also pressure Steel-types while Volt Switch gives Linoone opportunities to switch in. is a good teammate for Linoone because it can pressure physical attackers with Intimidate, check Steel-types, and use Volt Switch to bring Linoone in safely.

Other Options
=============

Linoone can run more Speed if it is important that it outspeeds Pokemon like Primarina. Specifically, (AC) running 196 Speed allows EVs allow Linoone to outspeed Pokemon such as Tsareena, Chandelure, and Mega-Blastoise Mega Blastoise.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Steel Types**: Pokemon such as Mega Aggron, Cobalion, Doublade, Steelix, and even Scizor are able to take any attack Linoone uses and proceed to KO or weaken Linoone to the point where it is inneffective as a sweeper. reliably take any attack from Linoone and KO or heavily damage it in return.

**Faster Normal Resistant Normal-resistant and Normal-immune Pokemon**: Pokemon like Mega Aerodactyl, Cobalion, and Terrakion are able to live an cannot be OHKOed by +6 Extreme Speed and OHKO Linoone in return. Ghost-types like Chandelure and Gengar that are immune to Extreme Speed are the only viable fast Ghost-types in this current meta and can be brought in to revenge kill Linoone. Chandelure and Gengar are immune to Extreme Speed and can outspeed and revenge kill Linoone.

told you, 1/2

autumn

only i will remain
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
C&C Leader
feel free to ask me if you have gp questions in future

GP 2/2
addremove comments

[OVERVIEW]

Linoone is the only Pokemon with access to both Belly Drum and Extreme Speed, making it a unique cleaner and sweeper in UU. Linoone is able to outspeed and beat most bulky Pokemon after setting up due to its coverage moves, Seed Bomb and Stomping Tantrum, that can KO most Pokemon resistant to Extreme Speed. Linoone's ability Gluttony, (AC) combinedwith a Figy Berry, (AC) means makes it so that Linoone can almost always use Belly Drum. However, even after using Belly Drum, Linoone is revenge killed by every faster Normal-resistant or -immune Pokemon such as Cobalion, Gengar, and Scizor, which uses Bullet Punch to deal massive damage. Because of its low defensive stats, Linoone can be OHKOed by many offensive threats, which makes setting up against offensive teams difficult even at full health. Furthermore, Linoone's subpar stats leave it outclassed by other setup sweepers that use priority moves like Belly Drum Azumarill and Swords Dance Scizor. Linoone is a one-time sweeper that is utterly useless before setting up and is quite frail.

[SET]

Moves
========

Belly Drum increases Linoone's Attack to +6, which makes it an extremely powerful offensive threat. Extreme Speed is a strong +2 priority STAB attack that OHKOes Pokemon such as Latias, Infernape, and Hydreigon after a boost from Belly Drum. Linoone also has great coverage moves that allow it to break through Normal-resistant walls: Seed Bomb, which lets Linoone break through bulky Water-types like Swampert, Suicune, and Seismitoad that are not OHKOed by +6 Extreme Speed, and Stomping Tantrum, which allows Linoone to damage slow and bulky Steel-types like Mega Aggron and Mega Steelix; (ASC) however, it but does not OHKO them even at +6.

Set Details
========

16 Speed EVs are used to outspeed Adamant Metagross so Linoone can OHKO it with Stomping Tantrum. Linoone also Speed ties with Timid Primarina and Jolly Bewear. The HP, Defense, and Special Defense EVs make it so Linoone survives Mega Aerodactyl's Stone Edge, Latias's Draco Meteor, and Choice Band Scizor's Bullet Punch after Stealth Rock. The defensive investment also allows it to live survive Hydreigon's Draco Meteor and Choice Band Scizor's U-turn from full HP. A Figy Berry combined with Gluttony allows Linoone to use Belly Drum once and completely recover all of the lost HP or lets it take any one hit that would not OHKO it and still have gives it enough HP to use Belly Drum.

Usage Tips
========

Linoone is only used as a late-game sweeper. For Linoone to be an effective sweeper, all faster threats that are immune to or resist Extreme Speed must be KOed or severely weakened. These threats include fast Ghost-types like Chandelure, Steel-types like Cobalion, and Rock-types like Mega Aerodactyl. Linoone should not switch directly into any attacks or offensive threats. Instead, bring it in to set up either after a teammate has fainted or with the support of a Volt Switch or U-turn user against Pokemon that cannot OHKO Linoone.

Team Options
========

Linoone is most effective on hyper offense. Specifically, Linoone thrives on Aurora Veil offense due to the increased number of setup opportunities the playstyle provides. Aurorus and Alolan Sandslash are the only viable Aurora Veil setters in the tier, so they make good partners. Linoone is very frail, so checks to Fighting-types such as Latias, Chandelure, and Azumarill pair very well with it. Scizor threatens Linoone greatly, so checks to it such as Cobalion and Chandelure make good partners. Linoone also appreciates support from stallbreakers like Heracross and Haxorus that weaken walls and allow Linoone to clean more easily. Fighting-types like Terrakion, Cobalion, and Infernape also pair nicely with Linoone because they are able to beat the Rock- and Steel-types that check it. Mega Manectric is a good teammate for Linoone because it can pressure physical attackers with Intimidate, check Steel-types, and use Volt Switch to bring Linoone in safely.

Other Options
=============

Linoone can run more Speed if it is important that it outspeeds to outspeed Pokemon like Primarina. Specifically, 196 Speed EVs allow Linoone to outspeed Pokemon such as Tsareena, Chandelure, and Mega Blastoise.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Bulky Steel-(AH)types**: Pokemon such as Mega Aggron, Cobalion, Doublade, Steelix, and Scizor are able to reliably take any attack from Linoone and KO or heavily damage it in return.

**Faster Normal-resistant and Normal -immune Pokemon**: Pokemon like Mega Aerodactyl, Cobalion, and Terrakion cannot be OHKOed by +6 Extreme Speed and OHKO Linoone in return. Chandelure and Gengar are immune to Extreme Speed and can outspeed Linoone and revenge kill Linoone it.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)