(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

There's one person here in Hauoli Mall's Battle Buffet that annoys me so much. A Black Belt / Karate guy with Hariyama... knowing Endure. In a buffet where one turn means one meal's worth and one extra battle and to OHKO them is a must. And most of time, he would be in front of a golden dish. Why!!

Those Office Guys with their Sturdy Magnezone, I can still tolerate with Lunala (Ahahaha... Moongeist Beam!), but not this guy that ensures you will waste a turn unless he doesn't use it.

Last edited:
There's one person here in Hauoli Mall's Battle Buffet that annoys me so much. A Black Belt / Karate guy with Hariyama... knowing Endure. In a buffet where one turn means one meal's worth and one extra battle and to OHKO them is a must. And most of time, he would be in front of a golden dish. Why!!

Those Office Guys with their Sturdy Magnezone, I can still tolerate with Lunala, but not this guy that ensures you will waste a turn unless he doesn't use it.
It's got nothing on the Triple Battle version of the Mauville food court. 8 battles, all designed to tear your hair out going for a perfect run.

The first battle is arguably the worst, a Teeter Dance+Own Tempo+Choice Scarf Lilligant (and two Own Tempo Lickilicky).

But the second is no better, 3 Swoobats all with Double Team+Simple+Bright Powder.

The next few are okay, but then battle 6 is 3 Prankster Whimsicott's with Stun Spore.

Then of course there's battle 8: Togekiss with a King's Rock and Scerene Grace + Air Slash. Plus two Lucario's with a Kings Rock and Extreme Speed.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Those Office Guys with their Sturdy Magnezone, I can still tolerate with Lunala, but not this guy that ensures you will waste a turn unless he doesn't use it.
Ugh, to get the most money from the Battle Buffet I figured out who to battle and who not to battle quickly:

1. Both Office Workers are a no go, unless you have a Pokemon with Mold Breaker or uses a multi-hit move. The money they give out isn't that great anyway.
2. If you can, don't bother with the Preschooler and Youngster; only battle them if you're other options are the Office Workers and you don't have a way around Sturdy.
3. The ones you really want are the Gentlemen and Madame (the elderly trainers). They pay out the most but watch out for the Madame as her Seel is bulky.
4. Other notable trainers are both Sightseers, the Rising Star, and Ace Trainer. They give out a nice amount of money.
5. Meh ones are Beauty, Cook, Lass, Breeder, and Black Belt.

Now if you're just going for top score (which honestly doesn't matter until you're versing the Buffet Queen post game) your goal is to KO them on your first turn while going for the bet platters as possible (many of them have stalling strategies if you don't do this). Forget about the platters occupied by the Office Workers, as annoying as that can be, just focus on the ones for the trainers you can OHKO. Learn what Pokemon they use and use type advantage or overpower them. Remember you can save between battles.

Now if you're going for money that's a whole different strategy. You're going to have to be quick as you'd want to activate Roto Prize Money to triple winnings. Than you'd always want to make sure the Pokemon your sending out has the Lucky Coin equipped. From there you're good to go except for two things if you also have a Pokemon that knows Happy Hour:

1. If a Gentleman or Madame appears you hit the jackpot! Send out your Happy Hour Pokemon and have them use Happy Hour on the first turn. Then either try to knock them out on the second or, if you don't think it's possible, switch to a Pokemon who can on the third. With Roto Prize Money + Lucky Coin + Happy Hour they pay out BIG.
2. For your last opponent you don't got to worry about turns so, no matter who you're facing, just Happy Hour on the first turn to try and squeeze as much money from them as you can.
NOTE: If you can, see if you can try saving a Gentleman or Madame for your last opponent.

Last edited:
While they've slowly been getting better at it, the trainer customization is still way better for a girl than a guy.
Such as the Kommo-o Hakamo-o tassets, which look awful on the male player character. I picked black capri pants as they go better with the rest of the clothing set (because of the long greaves).

This isn't an ingame thing, but it really annoys me that Pokemon used in VGC 2018 have to be Alola native. I have a perfectly good Pentagon Landorus sitting in my box - why do I have to go through the whole song and dance to SR another one? I could also go on about the method of encountering legends at all, but that's a story for another time.
Might as well get used to it, because I'm all but certain that this is going to be a thing for all generations going forward - everything has to be native to the current generation. Which of course will also lead to more "all the previous legendary Pokemon appear for... reasons" like with the Ultra Warp Ride and the Hoopa rings, for those who are annoyed by that sort of thing.

Does anyone know of a possible reason why they didn't put the Amie minigames in Refresh?

I really enjoyed those minigames (mainly the heading one) and I find it annoying that they were removed. I can't imagine they would take up much data and I can't think of a reason why they were removed. They were fun and helped expand what was one of the better features of Gen 6, and they would probably help Refresh stand out a bit more too, since Pokemon Refresh felt like a downgrade of Amie, even outside of removing the minigames, since Rainbow beans are way too good there anyway and just encourage someone to spam those (doesn't help that they're really easy to get too, unless you're unlucky) giving overpowered battle benefits without using the feature for what it was designed for.

This isn't an ingame thing, but it really annoys me that Pokemon used in VGC 2018 have to be Alola native. I have a perfectly good Pentagon Landorus sitting in my box - why do I have to go through the whole song and dance to SR another one? I could also go on about the method of encountering legends at all, but that's a story for another time.
I'd imagine it's to keep everyone on a level playing field, without worrying about decade-old event moves or stuff imported all the way from Colosseum/XD or whatever.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Have we ever mentioned how Poke Rides both was an innovation and a step back?

Poke Rides are great because they removed HMs so now the Pokemon in your party are only Pokemon you want to use to battle with. In addition they'd be able to include surfing areas which Gen V and Gen VI couldn't really have as part of the main story as those games tried their own way of phasing out HMs so the player didn't need them to get through the story, just get extra stuff.

BUT then there's the little annoying things Poke Rides brought:

1a. It not only got rid of HMs, but it also got rid of useful items. Bike and Item Finder are replaced by Poke Rides and the exclusion is felt, especially with the bike. Tauros Ride is not a worthy replacement for the bike, it's maybe a bit faster but the reason I ride the back is so that I don't have to hold down a button to go fast. Many times I prefer Stoutland Search who's speed is between running and Tauros Charge's charge.

1b. But Stoutland Search isn't innocent. because it replaced Item Finder. Gen V had the perfect Item Finder, I don't understand why since then they made using it more and more of a hassle. In Gen V it was two dowsing rods on the bottom screen which pointed in a direction of a nearby hidden item. Great, it was something I could have at the bottom of the screen with a function I didn't have to touch to work while I focused on playing the game (I could even use the bike with it on). XY made it something your character held to advertise the games are now in 3D and you need to make a concentrated effort to find the item, but since it was still rods that pointed in a direction it was alright (though you couldn't ride your bike with it on anymore). ORAS then made the Item Finder these stupid antenna things and finding an item became a hassle as you wouldn't know where the item was without running in circles for a bit. Stoutland Search has the ORAS problem but worse as you have to press a button to search for items AND it slows you down to a crawl!

2. While it did bring back the mandatory surfing areas, at the same time it also brought back "difficult terrain" which honestly is a waste of time to only slow you down. Mudsdale Gallop was not needed, especially since when it becomes an issue that's when you get it so it's not like you could backtrack with it!

3. Mantine Surf is a fun mini-game... at least when you're going from Melemele Island. Otherwise I hope you like bumping into Tentacool (who's hit box is difficult to tell), Sharpedo (who like to hide and jump at you so you have no time to react), Wailmer pods (who will bump you back and forth to assure you lose ALL momentum), or Wailord (who will sometimes appear suddenly giving you not enough time to react). WHY? Why ruin a fun mini-game with that Tauros Mulch? After getting the high score on all the boards there's no reason to ever surf on any other course except from Melemele.

4. Ultra Warp Ride at first sounds cool but after trying it for a bit I'm just not feeling it. It was a cool idea but handled poorly. First, they initially made it motion controls and to switch it to analog you have to decide to visit the GF offices. Like, did Nintendo force you to implement motion controls somewhere? If so then I can forgive you for doing that, but otherwise motion controls for 3DS is a bad idea.
Second, even with using the analog pad I'm just having problems even getting to a rare warp. Not only aren't you guaranteed to find a Legendary Pokemon, there's a few Legendary Pokemon you can encounter in one color making Synchronize preparation difficult. And if you want to back because you forgot to do something or you didn't save in the Ultra Space before battling, well I hope you're good and lucky with the Space Warp Ride!

Nitpicks ones:
Lapras is much less useful after Sharpedo, wish it had an additional use other than being able to fish off it.
6. No diving Poke Rides.
7. No soaring Poke Ride.

Have we ever mentioned how Poke Rides both was an innovation and a step back?

Poke Rides are great because they removed HMs so now the Pokemon in your party are only Pokemon you want to use to battle with. In addition they'd be able to include surfing areas which Gen V and Gen VI couldn't really have as part of the main story as those games tried their own way of phasing out HMs so the player didn't need them to get through the story, just get extra stuff.

BUT then there's the little annoying things Poke Rides brought:

1a. It not only got rid of HMs, but it also got rid of useful items. Bike and Item Finder are replaced by Poke Rides and the exclusion is felt, especially with the bike. Tauros Ride is not a worthy replacement for the bike, it's maybe a bit faster but the reason I ride the back is so that I don't have to hold down a button to go fast. Many times I prefer Stoutland Search who's speed is between running and Tauros Charge's charge.

1b. But Stoutland Search isn't innocent. because it replaced Item Finder. Gen V had the perfect Item Finder, I don't understand why since then they made using it more and more of a hassle. In Gen V it was two dowsing rods on the bottom screen which pointed in a direction of a nearby hidden item. Great, it was something I could have at the bottom of the screen with a function I didn't have to touch to work while I focused on playing the game (I could even use the bike with it on). XY made it something your character held to advertise the games are now in 3D and you need to make a concentrated effort to find the item, but since it was still rods that pointed in a direction it was alright (though you couldn't ride your bike with it on anymore). ORAS then made the Item Finder these stupid antenna things and finding an item became a hassle as you wouldn't know where the item was without running in circles for a bit. Stoutland Search has the ORAS problem but worse as you have to press a button to search for items AND it slows you down to a crawl!

2. While it did bring back the mandatory surfing areas, at the same time it also brought back "difficult terrain" which honestly is a waste of time to only slow you down. Mudsdale Gallop was not needed, especially since when it becomes an issue that's when you get it so it's not like you could backtrack with it!

3. Mantine Surf is a fun mini-game... at least when you're going from Melemele Island. Otherwise I hope you like bumping into Tentacool (who's hit box is difficult to tell), Sharpedo (who like to hide and jump at you so you have no time to react), Wailmer pods (who will bump you back and forth to assure you lose ALL momentum), or Wailord (who will sometimes appear suddenly giving you not enough time to react). WHY? Why ruin a fun mini-game with that Tauros Mulch? After getting the high score on all the boards there's no reason to ever surf on any other course except from Melemele.

4. Ultra Warp Ride at first sounds cool but after trying it for a bit I'm just not feeling it. It was a cool idea but handled poorly. First, they initially made it motion controls and to switch it to analog you have to decide to visit the GF offices. Like, did Nintendo force you to implement motion controls somewhere? If so then I can forgive you for doing that, but otherwise motion controls for 3DS is a bad idea.
Second, even with using the analog pad I'm just having problems even getting to a rare warp. Not only aren't you guaranteed to find a Legendary Pokemon, there's a few Legendary Pokemon you can encounter in one color making Synchronize preparation difficult. And if you want to back because you forgot to do something or you didn't save in the Ultra Space before battling, well I hope you're good and lucky with the Space Warp Ride!

Nitpicks ones:
Lapras is much less useful after Sharpedo, wish it had an additional use other than being able to fish off it.
6. No diving Poke Rides.
7. No soaring Poke Ride.
1. While Tauros is not without issues (namely the need to hold B to charge, instead of something like turning on/off charging like DPP's bike gears), the larger issue here is Stoutland - its item finding "abilities" are terrible and behave more like the ones in Gen I or II than the increasingly better methods seen later on (I agree in that BW/BW2's Dowsing Machine was the best one, outside of the fact it turns off if you try to go to the menu). Another issue it has is that it's a Stoutland instead of something cool to ride. And I don't really think it is even necessary to use in this generation as hidden items tend to be in very obvious places.

2. What I dislike about this "difficult terrain" is that if you try to run into it, you waste several seconds as the player (and the ride if you're using one) tries to not run over it. Fortunately for such a slow ride as Mudsdale is, it's criminally underused (it is only used to reach places you only need to get through once). Otherwise, I'd hate it.

3. The Ula'ula surf paths tend to be nice most of the time outside of very rare Tentacool rows that leave you no path to surf on, and you can consistently make over 100k points once you get all the tricks (avoid the Poni one unless you want to get crazy, and the other two are too short). And there is a huge reason to keep surfing after getting the Surfing Pikachu - a very large BP payout per minute. Considering the Ula'ula track you can get at least 4-5 BP per minute on average, and if you get good enough, that rate doubles. It's drastically faster than the battle facilities.

4. Not gonna argue about the "option to change controls is way too hidden" thing, but I too noticed the collision detection is rather odd in the Ultra Warp Ride. At least, that's what happens when you ride on Lunala (collision detection likely makes more sense if you ride on Solgaleo, but who's gonna ride on Solgaleo when you have the option to ride on Lunala?). It's still a nice minigame (and can cause nostalgia if you are old enough like me) if we conveniently disregard the random nature of Legendaries and Ultra Beasts (why not something like the Hoopa rings in ORAS?)

5. I find it weird. Outside of being able to fish (which is almost pointless as practically all fishing spots are near shores) it is strictly worse than Sharpedo. Why not just give us Sharpedo, then? (I'd call it pandering but I'm not entirely convinced about that)

6. I never liked diving so this one was fine to me.

7. *sigh* Yet another cool feature that does not survive the game was introduced in.

I'm not sure if this has been said here before, but I'm super annoyed by the fact that pre-BW2, you have to manually go back into the bag after a Repel wears off to put another one on. Starting in BW2, this was changed, where it asked you if you wanted to use another one or not. It was just such a tedious task to get through a cave because you had to go back into your bag every 100-250 steps.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has been said here before, but I'm super annoyed by the fact that pre-Gen 5, you have to manually go back into the bag after a Repel wears off to put another one on. Starting in Gen 5, this was changed, where it asked you if you wanted to use another one or not. It was just such a tedious task to get through a cave because you had to go back into your bag every 100-250 steps.
Just a minor correction - it was not exactly fixed in Gen V, but in BW2. The first pair of BW games still had that issue.

But yeah, it was really annoying that you had to select the item every time you wanted to use it. Similar issues happened when you wanted to, say, use several recovery items or Rare Candies on a single mon.

I'm not sure if this has been said here before, but I'm super annoyed by the fact that pre-BW2, you have to manually go back into the bag after a Repel wears off to put another one on. Starting in BW2, this was changed, where it asked you if you wanted to use another one or not. It was just such a tedious task to get through a cave because you had to go back into your bag every 100-250 steps.
I'm honestly not sure if this belongs here, or if it should be under the little things we like in that they made that change in the first place. We probably wouldn't be complaining about having to manually go back in the bag to use another of the same item including Repels if we were never introduced to the convenience of... well, not having to do that.

Going back to annoying things... there's the matter that it's a huge wasted opportunity that you cannot explore Ultra Megalopolis.

It looked cool, but you have no reason to go there after getting Poipole (or you somehow want to Ultra Warp ride another legendary).
I'd kind of extend this to all of the worlds one can go to via Ultra Warp Ride. Granted, I wasn't expecting much from them, considering most of the places the national Dex legendary Pokemon can be found in have little else to offer, but I still would have enjoyed a bit more than just a fancy narrow path leading to a Pokemon at the end.

I'm sure that this area, hyped up with unique artwork, having good music, featuring in trailers, being important storywise and looking like a massive city won't be a tiny corridor with a grand total of 2 buildings you can do anything with. No, definitely not. They definitely wouldn't do such a thing.

I feel almost betrayed by Ultra Megalopolis, just look at its name! It's not just that it was a wasted opportunity, but also extremely overhyped by Game Freak.

Last edited:
Yeah, I figured it'd be at least on par with the Distortion World. Instead most of the place is devoted to a glorified stage for the Necrozma battle -- a stage that honestly has a few too many stairs than it should, and a place you never do anything with afterwards. I get doing things just to make the game's big battle that much more 'epic', but it still feels like a waste.

Well the reason they don't have anymore to Ultra Megalopolis is that they almost have no space on the cartridge left to fit the extra areas. USUM are 3.63 gigabytes, and they probably couldn't code in an entirely new area with a completely different artstyle without causing even more massive lag issues on the regular 3ds systems

Though it still sucks that they went out of their way to hype up Ultra Megalopolis only for it to be a place where you come in, do the story part, and never have a reason to go back to. They should ,have at the least, given us a chance to battle someone at the top post-game. Like, I dunno, a trainer who would be the opposite gender, with default clothes (of course) who could use the same exact team you have with version exclusives swapped out. But really any other reason to go back the city would be appreciated, especially since it looks really cool.

Last edited:

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Please remember to keep all USUM stuff in Spoiler tags. We will keep this policy until New Year's or so, to account for all the people who won't play the games until they get them for Christmas. See the thread title.

This was a thing in Sun/Moon and it was stupid there too, but the fact it's still a thing in Ultra Sun/Moon just gets me even more irritated. Why was the Hall of Fame replaced with just some dude that tells you which species you used?
I get that it wouldn't be on the PC since you want to make it more streamlined and without you having to go through another pointless menu just to look through your boxes; that makes sense, that's a cool change. But couldn't you have added another PC right outside the league to check out the Hall of Fame like in previous titles? No-one wants to know that they used a Mimikyu and a Hawlucha to beat the game; they want to know it was their Mimikyu and Hawlucha they beat the game with! They want to see the nicknames, the levels they were at, the moves they had at the time; god, it's just cool in and of itself to see a visual of the team you used displayed. That's like if you went on holiday with your friends and family, and instead of taking a picture to remember the fun times you had you just wrote down who you came with.
It's not even like the Battle Frontier where, okay, that would obviously take a lot of work -- this is nothing. This is literally just displaying data that already exists and making it look a little neat. Not something that hurts the game massively, but its absence is sorely felt.

This was a thing in Sun/Moon and it was stupid there too, but the fact it's still a thing in Ultra Sun/Moon just gets me even more irritated. Why was the Hall of Fame replaced with just some dude that tells you which species you used?
I get that it wouldn't be on the PC since you want to make it more streamlined and without you having to go through another pointless menu just to look through your boxes; that makes sense, that's a cool change. But couldn't you have added another PC right outside the league to check out the Hall of Fame like in previous titles? No-one wants to know that they used a Mimikyu and a Hawlucha to beat the game; they want to know it was their Mimikyu and Hawlucha they beat the game with! They want to see the nicknames, the levels they were at, the moves they had at the time; god, it's just cool in and of itself to see a visual of the team you used displayed. That's like if you went on holiday with your friends and family, and instead of taking a picture to remember the fun times you had you just wrote down who you came with.
It's not even like the Battle Frontier where, okay, that would obviously take a lot of work -- this is nothing. This is literally just displaying data that already exists and making it look a little neat. Not something that hurts the game massively, but its absence is sorely felt.
I'll assume it's because of plot reasons. The Alola league is fresh new so they don't have a Hall of Fame app yet. You are not registered in any Hall of Fame, to begin with.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'll assume it's because of plot reasons. The Alola league is fresh new so they don't have a Hall of Fame app yet. You are not registered in any Hall of Fame, to begin with.
Considering all the other advance technology they have, I doubt that. It's especially odd since you'd think they would want to record Alola's first Champion's team.

Adding to what Kurona said, they could have just added a small room before the actual Elite Four chamber and put a PC there which recorded your Hall of Fame data (maybe also put in a normal PC too to make any last team changes/heal your Pokemon without having to run back to the Pokemon Center. Heck, why not also throw in a vending machine which sells Hyper Potions, Max Potions, Full Heals, Full Restores, and Revives. It'll also give you a place right before the league to save instead of saving outside).

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Okay, here's a small one.

In Pokémon Go, every time you catch or evolve a new Pokémon, it shows an animation registering the Pokémon in the Pokédex. However, the Pokémon's dex entry is not displayed. Every Pokémon has a dex entry in Go, but for some reason you have to actively seek them out. Why? A staple feature of the main games is the flavour text displayed whenever you catch a new Pokémon. In USUM they even have Rotom show it to you upon evolution. But in Pokémon Go, the actual flavour text of the Pokémon is hidden away, even in the moment when displaying it would make the most sense. This means that players won't learn about the different species unless they manually scroll through the horrible UI of the Pokédex.

Also, Pokémon Go made me realize I'll never influence any design decisions in Pokémon, because I have a basic grasp of what snow actually is, and that knowledge apparently disqualify you from contributing. Why the heck is overworld snow displayed as heavy rain? This, on top of the terrible treatment of Ice-types in the franchise, and the fact that trainer customization doesn't include winter clothes despite the games featuring icy cold locations, convinces me that The Pokémon Company refuses to hire or even listen to anybody who's seen snow outside of photos.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 11, Guests: 11)