(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

The problem is that Pokémon isn't really trying to improve anymore, even with the presence of games like Yo-kai Watch 2 (and 3, but that's Japan-only), which has much more rewarding exploration, various minigames, and so much more. YW is only lacking in the first two games' battle system, but third one overhauled that completely to focus more on the real-time aspect, rather than the turn-based one. If only Pokémon tried to learn from this, but nope. As CodMod mentioned, the games have even made it more difficult to reach Level 100, now that there's only one Lucky Egg. I smell a conscious effort to make things harder.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Worst thing is... it's not getting any harder to get to level 100. Once you tip past level 70 or so, you have little opposition from your Exp. sources (opponent Pokémon) unless the Pokémon you're training is very slow, frail, or a weak hitter. Eventually, you'll win battles with level advantage alone, despite using bad Pokémon, and as the difficulty in Pokémon lies in winning battles, it's pretty much smooth sailing from there.

But the process is made a lot more time-consuming and less convenient. It's no more difficult with the new system, things just take a whole lot longer. Therefore it's less fun doing it. Which again hurts the long-term playability of the games. It may be that they want to give us difficulty, but reducing the rewards is not a good place to start.

Maybe all those really stupid and seemingly deliberate annoyances like the removal of the lucky egg Codraroll mentioned are part of a secret master plan to make us all buy the new ultra games when they come out.

Heck, I would get annoyed if ultra sun and ultra moon featured a lot of things that should have been in the original, like say a dedicated training facility or a good post game.

And personally I think the few cities do have quite a bit of depth, but it's more subtle about it.

Routes on the other hand are a different story. Personally I feel that up until Poni Island they feel much shorter, and even on Poni Island it really only applies to that one area. You know which one.
Yeah, I agree with both of these things completely. I find the cities mostly well filled-out (Tapu Village, which may or may not be supposed to have residents, strikes me as too empty though), but the routes are a totally different story and probably a major factor in my being bothered by this.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Maybe all those really stupid and seemingly deliberate annoyances like the removal of the lucky egg Codraroll mentioned are part of a secret master plan to make us all buy the new ultra games when they come out.
Not that Game Freak has ever admitted this, but I for one think it's pretty plausible, and a practise they've been doing for many years now.

Game Freak always tries to sell you the next Pokémon game. To do this, they employ two types of selling points: New adventures; and new features, bells, whistles, and other cool things that will keep you occupied.

A new generation is sold by virtue of new adventure. More, never-before-seen Pokémon, a new region, new characters, new mechanics, etc. This is delivered by the base games, which are otherwise pretty bland. Little postgame, poor grinding options, narrow Pokémon selection, etc. But then again, the new games do have new Pokémon and new moves. And that makes them so much better than the last games!

Along come the next games in the same generation. Same graphics, same mechanics, an only marginal number of new Pokémon, same region and mostly the same characters. But this is made up for with new areas, a much more expansive postgame, new facilities, the Elite Four can be rebattled, there are Move Tutors, and a bunch of small, convenient features. It's easier to train Pokémon, you can catch a bunch of legendaries... these games have it all. And that makes them so much better than the last games!

And then, at some point, the next generation. All the convenient features of the previous game are removed and seemingly forgotten. We're back to a handful of available legendaries. The postgame facilities are stripped down to the basic Battle Whatever. The Elite Four might not be updated when you fight them again. The Pokémon selection is less diverse than in the last games. There are no Move Tutors. All these little features already have their code written (it's largely a matter of copy/pasting from the previous games), but for some reason Game Freak didn't bother to put them in. But... then again, the new games do have new Pokémon and new moves. And that makes them so much better than the last games!

It's not just a matter of designing a game that is better than the previous game. It's also a matter of designing them so the next games can easily be made better. We could have had BW2's insane diversity of features in XY and SM, for instance. A second run with updated rosters and movesets for the Elite Four would take roughly an afternoon to implement. The necessary code was written for FRLG, and hasn't changed that much since. Coming up with updated teams is also something any devoted Pokémon fan could feasibly do in an hour or two. Same goes for Move Tutors, there could have been dozens of them if a single coder was put on the case for a couple of days.

They're not omitting these features because it would take time or R&D to implement. Again, the code framework is already written. They are holding them back so that when the next games have them, they will look better than the current games by comparison. And the next games after that have new Pokémon as their main selling point, meaning that the lack of the extra features won't impact sales to a meaningful degree.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Codraroll:
In concept this isn't THAT bad of a practice. Annoying? Oh sure, especially where you see GF cut corners either cause they ran out of time or intentionally withheld something until the next games. But in my opinion as long as the games can provide an enjoyable experience and have something to make them stand out even when the "third version/sequel" games come out I'll accept them treating the initial games as a base to build upon and test out something. It's why I like this new trend of "sequel" games, while BW2 had more features you could still go back and play BW for it's story that BW2 built up on, making BW's entry still important and not overwritten like Emerald and Platinum did for RS & DP, respectively.

But at the same time there is somethings I think they leave out which is BS. If you purposely leave something out it should also feel nothing is missing, essentially hide you didn't put in something you could have. But too often they make the omission so obvious you do feel jipped since you know the only reason something's not there is because they decided to save it till the next game. For example, battles with important NPCs. Sure, eventually you got to battle the Trial Captains in some way or another but it also felt at some points you could have battled them normally and maybe as a daily opponent (and that's not going into the odd version exclusive battles they did).

And then there's times when this completely backfires on them, like when they DON'T release the third version/sequel games. Looking at you, Pokemon Z. Of course Gen VI was filled with this, not only for no Z version but they made a lot of dumb decisions with ORAS because for some reason they wanted to replicate Ruby & Sapphire and exclude the Emerald features (ignoring the Battle Frontier which you could justify with them running out of time, why can't we re-battle Gym Leaders even though they show up as re-battleable opponents?).

Hopefully with Ultra SM announced we go the way of Gen V, and if they do the Sinnoh Remakes they focus on the practices done in HGSS than ORAS when it comes to including third version content (which should be easier since there's only one villain team).

Since DLC has become the norm in most video games over the past several years, I would've thought Pokemon would've followed suit and release an expansion pack rather than a third version. I'm pretty sure most people were expecting this in ORAS with how explicitly they hinted at the Battle Frontier coming but we now know that never happened. A lot of issues such as post game grinding, Battle Facilities, exploration of new areas, daily NPC battles, etc. could easily be added in DLC rather than a new game.

The way they worded Ultra SM as an alternate telling of the story tells me that it will be more Emerald/Platinum-esque rather than B2W2 but hopefully they will prove me wrong.

Since DLC has become the norm in most video games over the past several years, I would've thought Pokemon would've followed suit and release an expansion pack rather than a third version. I'm pretty sure most people were expecting this in ORAS with how explicitly they hinted at the Battle Frontier coming but we now know that never happened. A lot of issues such as post game grinding, Battle Facilities, exploration of new areas, daily NPC battles, etc. could easily be added in DLC rather than a new game.

The way they worded Ultra SM as an alternate telling of the story tells me that it will be more Emerald/Platinum-esque rather than B2W2 but hopefully they will prove me wrong.
If we go exclusively technical, Pokemon has had DLC since the first event Mew.

Now, to avoid a one-liner. The unnecessarily complex way to retrieve Pokemon from the Paniola Ranch Nursery center.

Even if you have only one Pokemon, the dialog box in you have to pick which Pokemon to retrieve still shows up. Why are you even asking?

this discussion makes me wonder why i even still bother with the games, i think they hit a plateau after gen 4 as far as actually good core features were concerned (improved internet connectivity notwithstanding)

I haven't played White 2 in a very long time. Some parts of me have wanted to. It is my most favorite pokemon game after all. Erasing most of my pokemon was also a pretty good excuse to get back into it. (Some parts wanting to start all over again with gen 7 and some parts me hating myself.) I finally decide to replay it about a week ago and boy am I loving it. The pokedex was always the selling point for me with White 2. I love most of the in game mons I can get and the habitat list is all of my love. So of course I'm gonna catch all the Pokemon. However, that entails going after the shaking spots and those can go DIE IN A FIRE! All of the pokemon outside of Audino are stupidly rare and I don't know if it's just me but in some Routes the grass just does not want to shake. Ive been stuck on Route 16 for 2 hours, the grass rarely shakes and it's only been Audino.

I haven't played White 2 in a very long time. Some parts of me have wanted to. It is my most favorite pokemon game after all. Erasing most of my pokemon was also a pretty good excuse to get back into it. (Some parts wanting to start all over again with gen 7 and some parts me hating myself.) I finally decide to replay it about a week ago and boy am I loving it. The pokedex was always the selling point for me with White 2. I love most of the in game mons I can get and the habitat list is all of my love. So of course I'm gonna catch all the Pokemon. However, that entails going after the shaking spots and those can go DIE IN A FIRE! All of the pokemon outside of Audino are stupidly rare and I don't know if it's just me but in some Routes the grass just does not want to shake. Ive been stuck on Route 16 for 2 hours, the grass rarely shakes and it's only been Audino.
I'm assuming someone's going for that Tyranitar catch, smh just level up one of the Pupitars!! (half joking because I feel your struggle)

But honestly speaking, except for trade evo stuff most of the things you get in the shaking grass are not that far away via level up from their pre-evolutions which you can easily find, especially if you go into the dark grass. I guess friendship and stone evos would also be a good reason to catch because why not save a stone when you can but the only time shaking grass really helped me in those games outside of Audino exp was when I got Sawk in White which is nice because he breaks that game in half.

I also find Emolga more annoying especially when I have a slower Pokemon as the lead because it's fast, always has Static when I don't want it to have Static and also does not give productive EXP yields.

edit: so it turns out route 14, not route 16, is where you catch ttar. this is why i need to check bulbapedia before i post anything here

My friend, Mew was basically the founding father of DLC.

With that out of the way GF staff has been very adamant against DLC, depsite their Third version tactics being the equivalent of aCOD remaster for stuff that should have already been included they want to release full games and not games that require constant updating due to them not being sold as finished products.

Honestly as a gamer i approve of that tactic.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
Of course, DLC would have been very viable if we were allowed to have multiple saves per cartridge. Which in itself would be no problem on the technical side. It's not like a Pokémon savegame is that big or hard to store.

But if you can make the fans pay for a full game every time they want a new adventure without deleting their previous one...

Of course, DLC would have been very viable if we were allowed to have multiple saves per cartridge. Which in itself would be no problem on the technical side. It's not like a Pokémon savegame is that big or hard to store.

But if you can make the fans pay for a full game every time they want a new adventure without deleting their previous one...
Especially if they want to play with some of the other version exclusives like the other box legendary as is so often the case... And then in about a year's time announce new variants of the games people have already bought, in this case sticking Necrozma-esque parts onto Solgaleo and Lunala...

Whether we like it or hate it, we're all going to buy at least one of these like suckers. And Game Freak knows this.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

That's probably a DLC option they can make some money on: extra save slots. Get those players who want to play the game again but don't want to delete their file or buy the full game again. Or maybe extend the Poke Bank service that it can hold multiple save files. :P

Codraroll

Cod Mod
also, look at the big red letters below this post
Sorry, but the quote function is a feature of the forums for everybody to use. Including yourself, you seem to have no problem with quoting other users. You can't tell people to stop using a feature of the forums just for your convenience. Or, well, you can (you won't be infracted for having it in your signature), but don't expect them to heed it, and don't try to enforce it (that would eventually lead to infractions).

If you have a problem with how the quote system is set up, contact the site staff and voice your concerns. If you can't stand the way it is worded, then Smogon might not be the place for you. The quote function is part of the Smogon package, so to say. Learn to live with it or leave it.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I can't believe people are actually getting baited by this lmao. This is derailing the thread for literally zero reason.

Anyway, to get the thread back on track, I find that the keyboards that you nickname things on can be incredibly obnoxious. Sometimes when I try to tap on certain buttons (I can't remember which ones off of the top of my head EDIT: it's usually backspace) I accidentally click the ok button and am stuck with a name until I can get to the name rater.

Speaking of which, why do we need to use an NPC to change a Pokemon's nickname? Why isn't there the option to do so on the PC like there is with ball capsules? It just feels like a needless complication and is a minor annoyance early-game.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 3, Guests: 5)