SM OU Mega Beedrill Volt-Turn Team + Tailwind (Making Beedrill Viable in OU)

1531073349284.png
1531073362762.png
1531073381555.png

1531073403035.png
1531073426506.png
1531073442000.png

Introduction:

I just got back from a long break from Pokemon and I decided to create this team. This was an interesting team I made for OU inspired by Phoenixmaster1’s team that was used to get #1 on the ladder. It has been working out decently and I climbed to around 1500 on the ladder, then fell to around 1400-1450 range. Any feedback to make the team better is greatly appreciated! (Disclaimer: I put some other move/item suggestions to hopefully make rating easy)

The Team:

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Fell Stinger

Role:
Revenge Killer/Sweeper

Checks and Counters:
- Scarmory
- Celesteela
- Landorus
- Priority
- Scarf Users
- Mega Alakazam
- Mega Pinsir

Why I use it:
To start off, I have the Mega of the team that enables me to get a huge advantage and the first of my Volt-Turners. It has a typical set using U-Turn and Poison Jab for STAB + Adaptability damage and Drill Run for the ever so common Heatran. The main component of this set is Fell Stinger. This move is what makes Beedrill a potent sweeper and revenge killer and is able to clutch games when I misplay terribly (shown at the bottom in the replays section).

/

Magearna @ Electrium Z / White Herb
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fleur Cannon
- Focus Blast
- Volt Switch
- Shift Gear

Role:
Sweeper / Offensive Pivot

Check and Counters:
- Celesteela (If I don't have Sp. Atk boost or Z-Move)
- Bulky Steel Types

Why I use it:
Magearna is the second of my core 3 Volt-Turners. I chose Magearna to be my Z-Move user as Volt Switch forces it to switch out and if it needs to sweep and use an Electric move, it can't. Another item choice (I need help deciding) is the White Herb to remove the debuff of Fleur Cannon. Shift Gear is used as a setup to make Magearna have the ability to sweep and Focus Blast can take out Steel-types easily.

/

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb / Expert Belt
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Magic Coat / Taunt

Role:
Setup/Priority Destroyer

Checks and Counters:
- Heatran
- Other Tapus
- Alolan Muk
- Fast Pokemon with supereffective STABS

Why I use it:
This Lele was directly taken from Phoenixmaster1 except for the item, which I chose for Ferrothorn and Scizor, but a Life Orb could also be used to help out in a lot more situations (I need help deciding). Usually, I’ll lead this to get early game picks and also have an easy way to take Ferrothorn / M-Scizor out of the game, Pokemon who pose a big threat to my team. Magic Coat can stop Smeargles and other setups in their tracks and also give my team a huge advantage. Finally, Psychic Terrain removes one of the biggest counters and weaknesses of Mega Beedrill - Priority. I have learned that Tapu Lele is nothing to mess with, especially with my tailwind behind it and can sweep if used correctly.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Role:
Revenge Killer / Fast Pokemon Killer

Checks and Counters:
- Ice Shard
- Ash-Greninja
- Bulky Walls
- Other Landorus'
- Certain Flying Types

Why I use it:
This Landorus has been a very useful Pokémon to get easy revenge kills and get easy picks if the enemy team is unprepared for it and is the 3rd of my offensive core Pokemon. It is a reliable counter to many things in this metagame and can even be used to force switches with Intimidate. Also, U-turn can be used to get some damage in and then switch and predict the opponent. Overall, this Landorus is key to this team's success and without it, I would not have gotten as far as I did.

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Careful Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit

Role:
Switch-In Punisher/Special Wall

Checks and Counters:
- Physical Ground Types
- Anything resistant to/immune to Poison Jab

Why I use it:
Muk is the other Pokémon that was used by Phoenixmaster1 and is crucial for this Volt-Turn team to work. Mine differs from his though because I moved the special defense EVs to defense because it was relatively frail physically. His Muk is such a great addition to my team because every Volt-Turn team needs a tank (Landorus is my physical tank) and it also hard counters M-Alakazam (the bane of my team). Using Poison Touch can allow the potential for chip damage or punishing switches sometimes. Knock off is the key component of this set because switches will be punished and if you stay in, even if it’s resisted, they still lose their item. Finally, Muk is an amazing special switch-in to most moves because it takes hits so well.

/
/

Skarmory @ Mental Herb / Leftovers / Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head / Brave Bird
- Stealth Rock
- Tailwind
- Defog

Role:
Setup Support / Setup Remover

Checks and Counters:
- Smeargle
- Magnezone (If not Shed Shell)
- Multihit Moves
- Rocks

Why I use it:
Last but certainly not least, Skarmory. This is extremely reliable and beneficial for my team. Tailwind is used to predict switches and then outspeed to place down rocks or to help Pokémon like Beedrill and Tapu Lele. Defog is able to stop opposing setters or get rid of late-game Sticky Webs. The reason that I specifically mention Sticky Web is because it is the only setup that affects my team (when I say "affects", I mean that it could completely decimate my team, while the other setups don't do much). Brave Bird / Iron Head is good for chip damage or getting certain revenge kills. Finally, you may have noticed the Mental Herb. A few times this has allowed me to take a Taunt and get up Tailwind to then set up my rocks afterward, but I have the option of Leftovers or Shed Shell depending on what you think would help most.

Replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-705009747 - Best clutch in history (Made in a beta version of this team a while back)
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-783078522 - Recent game on my smurf account (misplays were made, but for the most-part, it was a decent battle)
Thanks for reading my post, have an amazing day! :blobthumbsup:

Copy/Paste of Current Team:
https://pokepast.es/1c50be65ba4cc2d5

Last edited:
The team looks pretty good. I still wonder how you kill celesteela because it walls all but one mon on your team (magerna). The team also does not have a water resist, so ash gren can be a problem for you, as alolan muk can get worn down. Some changes that I think you could try are changing muk to figy berry recycle with knock off and pursuit + a filler or stab. That would help your longevity, but it might make the team weaker to specs lele. You are also trying to compress too many roles into scarm with it being your hazards and hazard removal. Scarm does not have a good match-up vs a lot of common rockers like heatran or gliscor, especially your set. Maybe think about running a z fly rocks lando and a scarf defogger, like the lati@'s or skarf kart. Of course these are just suggestions.

I’ll definitely try these suggestions out, thank you so much! I like the idea of Z-fly Landorus and using someone else as my fast mon. The only question I have is: Is there any way to add a Celesteela counter in there too? Thanks again, have a great summer!

Side note: I just realized some of the images are broken, so I need to fix that .-.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)