OU Mega Camerupt [GP 1/1]

power

uh-oh, the game in trouble
Facebook Spotlightsfeaturing titans of the tier like Landorus-T, Celesteela, Zygarde, and now... Mega Camerupt. All jokes aside, Mega Camerupt has proved itself to be a surprisingly useful pick on competitive OU teams over the past few months. First popularized in Smogon's World Cup of Pokemon, Mega Camerupt is an excellent counter to top metagame threats like Tapu Koko and Clefable as well as a great check to the omnipresent Magearna. It's no slouch offensively eitherMega Camerupt's powerful Sheer Force-boosted Fire Blast and Earth Power 2HKO nearly every Pokemon in the tier.

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Ability: Magma Armor
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide / Nature Power
- Stealth Rock / Yawn

Mega Camerupt is typically seen running some variation of this set in OU. While STAB attacks are mandatory, Mega Camerupt has a plethora of options for its final two moveslots. Rock Slide OHKOes Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y. Nature Power OHKOes several would-be counters such as Mantine and Pelipper with the aid of Tapu Koko, which partners particularly well with Mega Camerupt. Tapu Koko can U-turn on bulky Grass-types to bring in Mega Camerupt safely against the likes of Ferrothorn, Tangrowth, and Amoonguss. Mega Camerupt can also inflict statusYawn and Toxic are useful options to cripple Mega Latias and the aforementioned Mantine. If that wasn't enough, Mega Camerupt is also seen sporting a Substitute + Hidden Power Ice set to bait in and OHKO Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Garchomp with very little prediction.

Despite this, Mega Camerupt does have many flaws. Camerupt is OHKOed by nearly every Water-type attack in the tier as well as the strong Earthquakes and Thousand Arrows being fired off by Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Choice Band Zygarde. Camerupt's Speed does it no favors eitherit often has to take a hit to dish one out. An utter lack of recovery and vulnerability to every entry hazard type also prevents Camerupt from checking in practice everything it checks on paperfor example, using Camerupt to deal with Magearna may leave it too weakened to deal with Volcarona or Mega Charizard Y late-game.

Overall, Mega Camerupt is a surprisingly viable anti-metagame pick that will definitely exceed your initial expectations. What other moves do you like to run on Mega Camerupt? Let us know in the comments!

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Okay so right off that bat I'm not entirely sure what 196 Speed EVs is for exactly. You hit 125 with that investment, and the only thing relevant that's even near that benchmark is Tangrowth, which is at 122, so if anything, you should be running 188 maximum to Speed creep it by one point. But, I still don't think that's super optimal. Growths will rarely stay in on Camel anyway, and Camel can easily take an EQ if need be. The more bulk the better, especially when Camel is a really good Magearna/Koko check, which is why I think outspeeding Pex is the most it should really worry about. Also, Rock Slide absolutely needs to be a standalone move somewhere. It hits Zard-Y for an OHKO as well as Volcarona so it can't setup on Camel, considering that it lives a Fire Blast easily at +1. It's also great for smacking Mantine on the switch. I think the set should look like this:

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock / Yawn / Nature Power

Speed is for Pex obviously. Camel is actually a really solid offensive rocker because of the large amount of Pokemon it forces out, while threatening the likes of Defog Mega Sciz, Mew, Zapdos, etc. Yawn is a great option if you already have a rocker because it can potentially force out switch-ins and help u maintain constant pressure and momentum. Nature Power is also an option if you are using Camel alongside Koko because it can turn it into T-Bolt which hits Mantine and other bulky waters like Alo and Fini. It also kinda keeps you from having to run Slide so you can opt for something else. Can be nice with Bulu too for Gastro ig. HP Ice isn't really needed because Fire Blast is already doing a very huge chunk to Latios on the switch, and both Chomper and Zyg take a fuck ton from Earth Power, to a point where they can only really switch-in once. It's a super niche option that I wouldn't recommend unless you are super Zyg weak.

Once this is implemented...

QC 1/2

Last edited:

power

Okay so right off that bat I'm not entirely sure what 196 Speed EVs is for exactly. You hit 125 with that investment, and the only thing relevant that's even near that benchmark is Tangrowth, which is at 122, so if anything, you should be running 188 maximum to Speed creep it by one point. But, I still don't think that's super optimal. Growths will rarely stay in on Camel anyway, and Camel can easily take an EQ if need be. The more bulk the better, especially when Camel is a really good Magearna/Koko check, which is why I think outspeeding Pex is the most it should really worry about. Also, Rock Slide absolutely needs to be a standalone move somewhere. It hits Zard-Y for an OHKO as well as Volcarona so it can't setup on Camel, considering that it lives a Fire Blast easily at +1. It's also great for smacking Mantine on the switch. I think the set should look like this:

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock / Yawn / Nature Power

Speed is for Pex obviously. Camel is actually a really solid offensive rocker because of the large amount of Pokemon it forces out, while threatening the likes of Defog Mega Sciz, Mew, Zapdos, etc. Yawn is a great option if you already have a rocker because it can potentially force out switch-ins and help u maintain constant pressure and momentum. Nature Power is also an option if you are using Camel alongside Koko because it can turn it into T-Bolt which hits Mantine and other bulky waters like Alo and Fini. It also kinda keeps you from having to run Slide so you can opt for something else. Can be nice with Bulu too for Gastro ig. HP Ice isn't really needed because Fire Blast is already doing a very huge chunk to Latios on the switch, and both Chomper and Zyg take a fuck ton from Earth Power, to a point where they can only really switch-in once. It's a super niche option that I wouldn't recommend unless you are super Zyg weak.

Once this is implemented...

QC 1/2
talked on discord, implemented

Colonel M

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'll leave the official QC to Colonel M, but feel free to expand on Camerupt's shortcomings. Don't worry too much about word count there, we'll likely be modifying or removing some lines like the one about Fire Blast, Earth Power, and SpAtk investment in GP

power

I'll leave the official QC to Colonel M, but feel free to expand on Camerupt's shortcomings. Don't worry too much about word count there, we'll likely be modifying or removing some lines like the one about Fire Blast, Earth Power, and SpAtk investment in GP

Sure, sounds good. I was thinking about it last night but was worried about word count. I'll implement it shortly.

E: added a little bit

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Id personally keep the slashes like Gary had above, but otherwise this is good.

At least Misty Terrain Nature Power 2HKOes Mega Latias

2/2

GMars

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Additions
Removals
[Comments]
(AH) = Add Hyphen
(RC) = Remove Comma

Facebook Spotlightsfeaturing [changed dash to mdash] titans of the tier like Landorus-Therian, Celesteela, Zygarde-50% Zygarde, and now... Mega Camerupt. All jokes aside, Mega Camerupt has proved itself to be a surprisingly useful pick on competitive OU teams over the past few months. First popularized in Smogon's World Cup of Pokemon, Mega Camerupt is an excellent counter to top metagame threats like Tapu Koko and Clefable, (RC) as well as being [parallelism] a great first look check [does this hold the same meaning you wanted to have? I haven't heard the phrase 'first look' used in this context before] to the omnipresent Magearna. It's no slouch offensively eitherMega [changed dash to mdash] Camerupt's powerful Sheer Force-boosted Fire Blast and Earth Power 2HKOs 2HKO nearly every Pokemon in the tier.

Camerupt @ Cameruptite
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide / Nature Power
- Stealth Rock / Yawn

Mega Camerupt is typically seen running some variation of this set in OU. Fire Blast and Earth Power are mandatory staples on Mega Camerupt, having incredible power when backed by full Special Attack investment and a Modest Nature. Apart from staple STAB attacks, [or however else you want to phrase this] Mega Camerupt has a plethora of options in the for its final two moveslots. Rock Slide OHKOes Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y. Nature Power OHKOes several would-be counters such as Mantine and Pelipper with the aid of Tapu Koko, who which partners particularly well with Mega Camerupt. Tapu Koko can U-turn on bulky Grass-types (AH) to bring in Mega Camerupt safely in [remove one of the two 'in's] against the likes of Ferrothorn, Tangrowth, and Amoonguss. Mega Camerupt can also inflict statusYawn [mdash] and Toxic are useful options to cripple Mega Latias and the aforementioned Mantine. If that wasn't enough, Mega Camerupt is also seen sporting a Substitute + Hidden Power Ice set to bait in and OHKO Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Garchomp with very little prediction.

Despite this, Mega Camerupt does have many flaws. Camerupt is OHKOed by nearly every Water-type (AH) attack in the tier, (RC) as well as the strong Earthquakes and Thousand Arrows being fired off by Landorus-Therian, Garchomp, and Choice Band Zygarde. Camerupt's Speed does it no favors eitherit [mdash] often has to take a hit to dish one out. An utter lack of recovery and vulnerability to every entry hazard type also prevents Camerupt from checking in practice everything it checks on paperfor [mdash] example, using Camerupt to deal with Magearna may leave it too weakened to deal with Volcarona or Mega Charizard Y late-game. (AH)

Overall, Mega Camerupt is a surprisingly viable anti-metagame pick that will definitely exceed your initial expectations. What other moves do you like to run on Mega Camerupt? Let us know in the comments! [nice ending]

GP 1/1

Reactions: Wob

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
sedertz this will be published tomorrow, so I'd like to have the post ready tonight. if you can implement the check within the next couple of hours that'd be great, otherwise i'll do it at some point

GMars

Implemented, tagging P Squared
Hi sedertz, please also remove "being" in "Mega Camerupt is an excellent counter to top metagame threats like Tapu Koko and Clefable as well as being a great check to the omnipresent Magearna." if you disagree with a change, just mention it in your implementation post

power

Hi sedertz, please also remove "being" in "Mega Camerupt is an excellent counter to top metagame threats like Tapu Koko and Clefable as well as being a great check to the omnipresent Magearna." if you disagree with a change, just mention it in your implementation post
oops forgot thx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)