Metagame Mega Evolution in Sun & Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Volcarona right now is 0 HP/ 0 Def so it is 3HKOed by Earthquake - solid option to couple with Fairy STAB.
You'll just need to watch for Shattered Psyche variants. Using +2 in this calc since you used it in your original post as a scenario:

+2 252 SpA Volcarona Shattered Psyche (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 156 SpD Altaria-Mega: 324-382 (91.5 - 107.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

Otherwise, yeah, defensive EQ does pretty well against Volc.

If you can keep hazards off the field, the standard Support Altaria avoids the 2HKO from stuff like Banded Zygarde, Mega Swampert, and Zard Y. It's an.....okay tank, and pixilate Hyper Voice/Return hurts a lot, but the bulk just is not what it used to be (75/110/105), and keeping hazards off the field is harder these days since even a single layer of Spikes or Stealth Rock turns those from 3HKOs into guaranteed 2HKOs

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
I havent had the opportunity to test neither of the new megas yet, but I feel like special Altaria could have some potential in the current meta, especially if paired with Dug. Its good typing and natural bulk lets it pivot into some threats like Zard Y, non Ice Beam Ash Gren, most Keldeos, fat Landos, etc to start punching holes on the opposing team. The combination of Hyper Voice and Fire Blast is actually not that easy to switch into and most of the mons that come to mind like Chansey Toxapex Magearna are trapped by Dugtrio. Celesteela can switch into it once but if theres something to stop leech in the back like Tangrowth, it wont be able to recover enough health to avoid the 2hko the next time. Tangrowth needs Sludge Bomb to threaten it, otherwise its just going to sit there and slowly faint. Access to Roost is nice because it can 1v1 these passive mons like Mew and Tang that can take hits but not do much back. On the last slot I could see something like Heal Bell working, or even Facade to switch into burns and put more pressure on Mantine. It could probably work well with something like Ash Gren or Scarf Lele that appreciate these special blanket checks weakened or gone while further abusing Dugs trapping capabilities and also pressuring some other bulky mons like Mantine that annoy Altaria. Its by no means gonna be a top tier Mega but its gonna have some use I think, though I dont think its DD sets are gonna be that good.

I feel like Altaria's old ORAS bulky DD-Return-Heal Bell-Roost set could do well in this meta with appropriate support, namely Dugtrio, Magnezone and/or Spikes.

It's a good blanket check and wincon, even getting through fire types okay after a few boosts, and it supports its team nicely with Heal Bell.

So it will be released alongside the Galladite, Gardevoirite and Lopunnite? I guess next month, then.
It will be this month, and next month will give us the Mega Stones for Altaria, Ampharos, Latios and Latias (global code).
Did they uploaded the information of the previous distributions some days yearlier, like this time?

Last edited:

Ema Skye

Work!
Well, this is certainly interesting.

Right now, I don't see it being too hot with Lando-T, Magearna, Celesteela, Greninjas and Dugtrio being so prominant. Even other threats like Bulu, Swampert and Mawile make it difficult.

That said, the potential certainly exists as it now gets instant base 110 speed. Diamond Storm buffs and access to Power Gem help as well.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Is Altaria good at all in this meta? Maybe B material?
Altaria is struggling a bit in the current Metagame due to all of the Steel-types and other bulky Pokemon in general that give it a hard time sweeping. Mons like Celesteela, Gyro Ball Ferrothorn, AV Magearna, Toxic Skarm on Stall, fast Mew, Venusaur, Clefable, etc are really good atm and they can all handle it one way or another, which leads to Altaria needing extra support to do anything in these matchups. DD is definitely its best set (rip Special Alt ;_;) but it's still a niche DDer that has some common tough matchups. It does however have its own advantages such as not being rkilled by Scarf Keldeo, which is still fairly common, while also setting up on some defensive staples like non Sludge Bomb Tangrowth and Landorus-T. I don't see it getting better in the near future but who knows, maybe usum will shake things up a little bit and it might get better

Maybe a more defensive DD set might work. I have been testing good ol' Fly Nite and he works wonders if you save up Z-Fly for Toxapex or some other annoying check. Just be careful to have a Dugtrio to eliminate Tyranitar and it will pull it's weight.

I believe Altaria will have some chances with a Heal Bell+DD set on a semi-stall team that can provide Burn/Toxic support for her in some way to stall out opponents.

I've been running this set on Mega Diancie

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Earth Power
- Power Gem / Nature Power

Pretty straightforward, boost once or twice and KO as much as you can. With Sticky Web support it outruns everything on the ground besides the bad Scarf Dugtrio and Scarf Greninja. Moon blast is the main STAB, 2HKOing everything that doesn't resist it (or isn't Chansey) at +1, Earth Power hits the Poison, Fire and Steel-types that resist Earth Power. Power Gem is a secondary STAB, forming a pseudo EdgeQuake combination with Earth Power. It OHKOes Skarmory and Mantine at +1. If you have support from Tapu Koko, you could run Nature Power - that transforms into Thunderbolt that OHKOes Celesteela after Stealth Rock at +1. If you have Tapu Lele's support, it transforms into a Psychic that OHKOes defensive Mega Venusaur at +1 after Stealth Rock, or Toxapex without boosts. The buff to Mega Evolution really helps Mega Diancie, having that great Speed immediately frees up the extra slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)