SM OU Mega Scizor OU Team

Introduction

Hey Everyone! This is my OU Team I have been working on for a month or so. It has been performing ok on Pokémon Showdown (generally I will hit about 1450, tank into a losing streak, and then bounce back). I’m mostly looking for some advice on things I may be overlooking, and a way to bring this team to the next level.

Teambuilding Process

Scyther has been my favorite Pokémon since gen 1. It is convenient that it evolves into a viable Pokémon with a great mega evolution. I am a huge fan of Technician Boosted STAB Priority moves, and I think U-Turn is a very fun move. In essence: This is my favorite Pokémon, he has a great move pool, and I’m happy it is viable.

I started with Scizor, With him having U-turn I wanted something that I could switch in. Regenerator also has switching synergy, and this is probably the best tank, so it felt natural to include. Additionally in the actual game I got lucky and caught one with the right nature and perfect IVs in everything except speed, so that is nice.

As I already had a physical threat I began looking for a special threat. I previously really liked messing around with Protean Greninja casually on PS! before it got banned, so after it became unbanned I added it back in. I like being able to change types because it adds a level of mind games I can play, hopefully making it harder for my opponents to select the correct moves.

I love bug type pokemon, and I needed a fire type to deal with steel types that were walling me. This guy has been great at setting up on my opponents when they try to switch out or use a status move and I manage to get a substitute to stick.

Going back to the switching in and out theme, I noticed that Earthquake was super effective against Toxapex, so I wanted a Pokémon to switch in that is immune to it, allowing Toxapex to get a free 33% regeneration. With Intimidate as the ability the switch in also has the benefit of lowering attack. This Pokémon has been performing great in that respect as well.

It took me a while to select Breloom as the 6th pokemon. I also tried and previously cut Kartana, Heatran, Victini, and Magnezone. At one point I had too many steel types, which is part of why I have 2 water types to cover the fire weakness. After cutting down on the steel types I was on Victini for a while, but I was running a z-celebrate set and it just felt very 1 dimensional, and used up an important z move slot. Eventually I remembered Breloom used to be pretty good. I like having access to a multi-hit move to break subs, and the occasional disguise. As I said with Scizor I am a huge fan of Technician-STAB-Priority moves, and the sleep status can be quite useful as well.

The Team

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite Ability: Technician EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD Adamant Nature - U-turn - Bullet Punch - Bug Bite - Swords Dance
The main point of Scizor is that he is a bulky physical sweeper with a solid move pool. I like how he can boost up with sword dance and break through anything. One thing I guess I could cut from his set is U-Turn. Even though I really like it I can’t use it when my opponent has a magnezone, and I need room for either Pursuit, Roost, or Defog. Because my team switches a lot rocks/spikes can be annoying, leaning towards defog. I’m running Bug Bite because it is the best bug-type move compatible with technician. I know berries aren’t as popular as other items, but it might come up once in a while.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge Ability: Regenerator EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD Bold Nature IVs: 0 Atk - Toxic - Recover - Scald - Baneful Bunker
Excellent tank. Great to switch into fire type moves that may be aimed at Scizor, can easily switch Landorus-T against earthquake users.

Greninja @ Life Orb Ability: Protean EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Timid Nature IVs: 0 Atk - Surf - Hidden Power [Electric] - Ice Beam - Dark Pulse
Being able to provide four different STAB coverage on a fast-special sweeper seems great. I also place some amount of value into being able to change types before my opponent’s moves hit as to possibly cause them to choose wrong. I chose Surf to hit fire types that will threaten Scizor, Hidden Power Electric because it was a hole missing in the rest of the team, Ice Beam so that I can effectively kill Ladorus-T and other flying or dragon types, and Dark Pulse as additional coverage.

Volcarona @ Buginium Z Ability: Swarm EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Timid Nature IVs: 0 Atk - Bug Buzz - Fire Blast - Quiver Dance - Substitute
This Pokémon allows me to get through many of the steel types that would otherwise wall my team. Particularly Ferrothorn needs to switch out, with gives me an opportunity to set up a substitute. If the Ferrothorn doesn’t switch out most of it’s moves don’t do anything to the sub, I’ll get free boost turns, and the Fire Blast will make quick work of Ferro. This Pokemon is my backup lead in case I don't think Breloom will perform well in the opening (such as with the case of Ferrothorn)
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers Ability: Intimidate EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe Impish Nature - Stealth Rock - Earthquake - Hidden Power [Ice] - U-turn
I needed something to switch in on earthquake and electric moves. Intimidate also allows me to switch him into any physical offensive Pokémon, and setting up Stealth Rocks is also nice.

Breloom @ Focus Sash Ability: Technician EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe Adamant Nature - Mach Punch - Bullet Seed - Spore - Rock Tomb
Breloom is the Pokémon I lead off on in most situations because rocks/spikes/whatever break the sash. If I think my opponent is leading off with a ferrothorn I’ll lead with the Volcarona. I haven’t had a problem using Breloom to KO my opponent’s lead pokemon, and then using it later as a revenge killer due to mach punch. I realize Breloom is not on the same tier as the rest of them and there might be a better Pokemon to play the role of lead.

Conclusion

I’m really looking forward to the suggestions and critiques from players that are more experienced than I am so I appreciate everything! Thanks everyone!

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Recover
- Scald
- Baneful Bunker

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Swarm
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Breloom @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Rock Tomb

I really think you should switch scizor to a utility mon with defog roost bullet punch and u turn to help support the volcarona because you have no way to get rid of hazards which volc gets beasted by. Id have to do some testing to mess witb the rest of it, but i think its a really cool looking team so far, just needs better hazard control at first glance!

I really think you should switch scizor to a utility mon with defog roost bullet punch and u turn to help support the volcarona because you have no way to get rid of hazards which volc gets beasted by. Id have to do some testing to mess witb the rest of it, but i think its a really cool looking team so far, just needs better hazard control at first glance!
Intersting, I'll try that out. Would you reccomend putting points in def or SpD for the utility Scizor? PS! is suggesting Def but Toxapex is already very physically defensive, plus I have access to intimidate, so would it be good to put stats in special D so that I'm not just weak to special?

Intersting, I'll try that out. Would you reccomend putting points in def or SpD for the utility Scizor? PS! is suggesting Def but Toxapex is already very physically defensive, plus I have access to intimidate, so would it be good to put stats in special D so that I'm not just weak to special?
If ur going to run Ut Scizor, run def Scizor and SpDef Toxapex. That way Scizor can still switch into EQs (So will Breloom), and ur Toxapex can take a needed SpDef Wall-role that you need.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.

Introduction

Hey Everyone! This is my OU Team I have been working on for a month or so. It has been performing ok on Pokémon Showdown (generally I will hit about 1450, tank into a losing streak, and then bounce back). I’m mostly looking for some advice on things I may be overlooking, and a way to bring this team to the next level.

Teambuilding Process

Scyther has been my favorite Pokémon since gen 1. It is convenient that it evolves into a viable Pokémon with a great mega evolution. I am a huge fan of Technician Boosted STAB Priority moves, and I think U-Turn is a very fun move. In essence: This is my favorite Pokémon, he has a great move pool, and I’m happy it is viable.

I started with Scizor, With him having U-turn I wanted something that I could switch in. Regenerator also has switching synergy, and this is probably the best tank, so it felt natural to include. Additionally in the actual game I got lucky and caught one with the right nature and perfect IVs in everything except speed, so that is nice.

As I already had a physical threat I began looking for a special threat. I previously really liked messing around with Protean Greninja casually on PS! before it got banned, so after it became unbanned I added it back in. I like being able to change types because it adds a level of mind games I can play, hopefully making it harder for my opponents to select the correct moves.

I love bug type pokemon, and I needed a fire type to deal with steel types that were walling me. This guy has been great at setting up on my opponents when they try to switch out or use a status move and I manage to get a substitute to stick.

Going back to the switching in and out theme, I noticed that Earthquake was super effective against Toxapex, so I wanted a Pokémon to switch in that is immune to it, allowing Toxapex to get a free 33% regeneration. With Intimidate as the ability the switch in also has the benefit of lowering attack. This Pokémon has been performing great in that respect as well.

It took me a while to select Breloom as the 6th pokemon. I also tried and previously cut Kartana, Heatran, Victini, and Magnezone. At one point I had too many steel types, which is part of why I have 2 water types to cover the fire weakness. After cutting down on the steel types I was on Victini for a while, but I was running a z-celebrate set and it just felt very 1 dimensional, and used up an important z move slot. Eventually I remembered Breloom used to be pretty good. I like having access to a multi-hit move to break subs, and the occasional disguise. As I said with Scizor I am a huge fan of Technician-STAB-Priority moves, and the sleep status can be quite useful as well.

The Team

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite Ability: Technician EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD Adamant Nature - U-turn - Bullet Punch - Bug Bite - Swords Dance
The main point of Scizor is that he is a bulky physical sweeper with a solid move pool. I like how he can boost up with sword dance and break through anything. One thing I guess I could cut from his set is U-Turn. Even though I really like it I can’t use it when my opponent has a magnezone, and I need room for either Pursuit, Roost, or Defog. Because my team switches a lot rocks/spikes can be annoying, leaning towards defog. I’m running Bug Bite because it is the best bug-type move compatible with technician. I know berries aren’t as popular as other items, but it might come up once in a while.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge Ability: Regenerator EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD Bold Nature IVs: 0 Atk - Toxic - Recover - Scald - Baneful Bunker
Excellent tank. Great to switch into fire type moves that may be aimed at Scizor, can easily switch Landorus-T against earthquake users.

Greninja @ Life Orb Ability: Protean EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Timid Nature IVs: 0 Atk - Surf - Hidden Power [Electric] - Ice Beam - Dark Pulse
Being able to provide four different STAB coverage on a fast-special sweeper seems great. I also place some amount of value into being able to change types before my opponent’s moves hit as to possibly cause them to choose wrong. I chose Surf to hit fire types that will threaten Scizor, Hidden Power Electric because it was a hole missing in the rest of the team, Ice Beam so that I can effectively kill Ladorus-T and other flying or dragon types, and Dark Pulse as additional coverage.

Volcarona @ Buginium Z Ability: Swarm EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe Timid Nature IVs: 0 Atk - Bug Buzz - Fire Blast - Quiver Dance - Substitute
This Pokémon allows me to get through many of the steel types that would otherwise wall my team. Particularly Ferrothorn needs to switch out, with gives me an opportunity to set up a substitute. If the Ferrothorn doesn’t switch out most of it’s moves don’t do anything to the sub, I’ll get free boost turns, and the Fire Blast will make quick work of Ferro. This Pokemon is my backup lead in case I don't think Breloom will perform well in the opening (such as with the case of Ferrothorn)
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers Ability: Intimidate EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe Impish Nature - Stealth Rock - Earthquake - Hidden Power [Ice] - U-turn
I needed something to switch in on earthquake and electric moves. Intimidate also allows me to switch him into any physical offensive Pokémon, and setting up Stealth Rocks is also nice.

Breloom @ Focus Sash Ability: Technician EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe Adamant Nature - Mach Punch - Bullet Seed - Spore - Rock Tomb
Breloom is the Pokémon I lead off on in most situations because rocks/spikes/whatever break the sash. If I think my opponent is leading off with a ferrothorn I’ll lead with the Volcarona. I haven’t had a problem using Breloom to KO my opponent’s lead pokemon, and then using it later as a revenge killer due to mach punch. I realize Breloom is not on the same tier as the rest of them and there might be a better Pokemon to play the role of lead.

Conclusion

I’m really looking forward to the suggestions and critiques from players that are more experienced than I am so I appreciate everything! Thanks everyone!

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Swords Dance

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Scald
- Baneful Bunker

Greninja @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Swarm
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Substitute

EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Breloom @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Spore
- Rock Tomb
Hey David, Volcarona is one of my favourite sweepers :) It can really make lightwork of many teams.

First off, I don't think that Scizor should, in any case, run Bug Bite and U-Turn. The two seem redundant. I know you've put them both there so you can sweep, but by running something like Mega Scizor, if you plan on sweeping with it your gameplan should be to remove things that stop boosted Bullet Punches running through your opponent's team.
I suggest changing the Scizor set to this:
Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Atk / 164 Def
Brave Nature
- Defog
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

OR

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 12 Def / 104 SpD / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bug Bite / U-Turn / Defog
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost
HP Fire is to pressure Ferrothorn that may want to set up Stealth Rocks - it is optional though, and many people would call me crazy for running that! I think that when running a Volcarona and Scizor together, your Scizor should be a defog variant, as it helps your Volc stay alive, given its rocks weakness.

I suggest changing the Toxapex set too. Specially Defensive Toxapex gives you a nice Greninja switch in, which is pretty much necessary on every team.
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Scald
- Haze
I put Haze over Baneful Bunker because I think that stopping set up sweepers is far more important than whatever Baneful Bunker would grant you. It's not as though Toxapex is scared of High Jump Kicks or anything.

If you are adamant about Greninja, I'd suggest changing the moves.
Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Gunk Shot / Low Kick
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
Extrasensory hits Toxapex, HP Fire kills Ferrothorn (which you want to get rid of to keep hazards off the field) and Gunk Shot kills the fairies. If you want, you can change it to Low Kick for Heatran and Tyranitar that might figure out you can't touch them. Also, make all your Greninja males to bluff Battle Bond (Battle Bond Greninja can only be male).

I'm only going to change the EV Spread on Lando. It lets you live a Mega Manectric HP Ice and hits a decent speed tier (faster than most other defensive Landorus).
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 24 SpD / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

At the moment, I think that Volcarona is still at risk of not being able to sweep Tyranitar, Heatran and Toxapex. In fact Heatran is a massive problem for the team. I suggest a Choice Banded Zygarde. It really helps out Volcarona, I think. I would replace Breloom with one.
Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Iron Tail

I still think that Chansey is a problem. I would recommend switching Greninja for something that handles it, if you wouldn't mind. Any fighting type, or something with Knock Off/Trick should do the trick. Ideas here could be Keldeo with Secret Sword (as it hits on the physical side), Conkeldurr, Latios (Trick), Clefable (knock off), Mew.

I hope this helped. If you have any questions, or would like advice on anything else, hit me up :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)