Metagame Metagame Discussion Thread v4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am the only one that thinks Landorus-T is just TOO good?
Amazing offensive power, excellent ability, Ice and Water of coverage is crap this gen, AND can set up rocks super easily on just about everything, and to add salt to the wound, in this gen Stealth Rock is harder than ever to remove, to the point being a single Rock-Weakness is almost a guaranteed ticket out of the OU viability rankings.

Only Mew and Mega Scizor are debatably usable as defoggers capable of doing anything against Landorus (I say debatably because one gets destroyed by Toxic support/Toxic Spikes from Toxapex, the other can be trapped by MagneTrash if needed and is free setup fodder for many pokemon). It's a multi-purpose little-to-zero-risk-high-reward pokemon, Aegislash style.

Amazing offensive power, excellent ability, Ice and Water of coverage is crap this gen, AND can set up rocks super easily on just about everything, and to add salt to the wound, in this gen Stealth Rock is harder than ever to remove, to the point being a single Rock-Weakness is almost a guaranteed ticket out of the OU viability rankings.

Only Mew and Mega Scizor are debatably usable as defoggers capable of doing anything against Landorus (I say debatably because one gets destroyed by Toxic support/Toxic Spikes from Toxapex, the other can be trapped by MagneTrash if needed and is free setup fodder for many pokemon). It's a multi-purpose little-to-zero-risk-high-reward pokemon, Aegislash style.
Yes, you are the only one

You already made this question in the VR (which wasn't the rigth thread to do it), and got responded, why insist?

Ice and Water aren't bad this gen. Ice Beam is still a fantastic coverage option and two of the best Pokemon in the tier are Water Types

Where did you heard that rocks are hard to remove? Sure, that was true back then in a pre Mega Metagross ban meta, but everything has changed quite a lot. There is a reason why Sticky Webs Offense has died

Mew, Mega Scizor, Latios, Tapu Fini, Mantine, and Skarmory all threaten or force Lando-T out (Skarmory being the only one that can lose to it if Lando is using Smack Down)

Comparing Lando-T to Aegislash is the stupidest thing

>>Single rock weakness out of viability rankings. Volcarona what.

Lando-T is excellent at what it does a multi role glue mon. But by no means is it too good for OU and comparing it to Aegislash is asinine. Aegislash was too good as it warped the metagame around itself and needed dedicated niche mons to counter it as well as conpletely invalidating otherwise useful Pokemon. Lando-T does not create that paradox of use shitmon otherwise I outright lose.

You already made this question in the VR (which wasn't the rigth thread to do it), and got responded, why insist?

Ice and Water aren't bad this gen. Ice Beam is still a fantastic coverage option and two of the best Pokemon in the tier are Water Types

Where did you heard that rocks are hard to remove? Sure, that was true back then in a pre Mega Metagross ban meta, but everything has changed quite a lot. There is a reason why Sticky Webs Offense has died

Mew, Mega Scizor, Latios, Tapu Fini, Mantine, and Skarmory all threaten or force Lando-T out (Skarmory being the only one that can lose to it if Lando is using Smack Down)

Rocks are still difficult to remove, mostly because of Lando and how good it is. Fini and Mantine both lose to Z-Fly. Scizor is 2HKOed by EQ + SSSS. Latios fears switching in on a z move or u turn. The only mon out of these that can mostly reliably switch in and force Lando out is Mew.

Your overall point is right but the argument itself is flawed.

Muscle K

Banned deucer.

I believe your viewpoint on what is and isn't "broken". I'm certain that you understand that Landorus is centralising, but it is not over centralising. While Landorus does influence the tier by outright beating most, dare I say all hazard setters that are currently in the tier with its stealth rock + z move sets, being a great breaker / sweeper with its amazing offensive sets (scarf is still ass, don't use it) as well as being the best physically defensive pivot in the tier it doesn't make it broken - it just makes it versatile.

Last edited:

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Why do people act like Scarf Lando-T is bad lol. Scarf Lando-T is way better than fucking Scarf Garchomp, because it's strong as fuck and doesn't suck out all forms of momentum from your team, while also having cool options like HP Ice and Explosion. The ONLY reason Scarf Chomp is used as much as it is, is because Volcarona exists and it's one of the few Pokemon that can revenge kill it. But that's it really. If you can afford to run Scarf Lando-T on your team because you have other means of dealing with it, than Scarf Lando-T is a fine choice, much like Lele.

The only argument I can come up with as to why Scarf Lando-T isn't good, is that it can't revenge kill Volcarona. Okay? Neither can Scarf Lele, and it's one of the best Scarfers in the tier. The only difference is that Lando-T's other sets are so good, that Scarf is often pushed to the side for Z Fly or fat. Scarf Lando-T is a great offensive glue that can still revenge kill many offensive Pokemon while providing you with something that doesn't completely kill your momentum. It's by no means bad, and I hate hearing people telling people "Scarf Lando-T is bad don't use it" just because it's not the most "optimal" Scarfer in the meta, which is ONLY if you don't have any other means of dealing with Volcarona.

I honestly think the spectre of volc is more overblwn than anything else this meta. For how supposedly threatening it is in my past couple treks up the ladder trying to qual fruitlessly for olt Ive ran into it like ten times out of hundreds of matches. Cheesy shit like rain, bsoam and webs are way more prevalent and I domt think thats a mistake because everyme is try harding where I get up to around 1700-1900 and if volc was as good as its advertised Id have seen it way more than I have.

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I honestly think the spectre of volc is more overblwn than anything else this meta. For how supposedly threatening it is in my past couple treks up the ladder trying to qual fruitlessly for olt Ive ran into it like ten times out of hundreds of matches. Cheesy shit like rain, bsoam and webs are way more prevalent and I domt think thats a mistake because everyme is try harding where I get up to around 1700-1900 and if volc was as good as its advertised Id have seen it way more than I have.
that's cause it's the ladder and its olt period. people just wanna flyyyyyyy all the way up the ladder using easy shit. volc is something that is constantly slept on because people end up packing counters for it on their teams while preparing for something else. also cause a lot of people are turned off by the stealth rock weakness and just wanna use pokemonezmodes for climbing the ladder.

Good question. Another good examples are Aegislash, and ORAS Greninja. I asked the exact same thing a couple posts above. I guess Landorus is THAT much adored and easy to use, and the members of the council don't want their favourite toy banned
Are you really trying this again? This is your third attempt, and you were already answered. In fact, I'll quote the answers you seem to have ignored.

>>Single rock weakness out of viability rankings. Volcarona what.

Lando-T is excellent at what it does a multi role glue mon. But by no means is it too good for OU and comparing it to Aegislash is asinine. Aegislash was too good as it warped the metagame around itself and needed dedicated niche mons to counter it as well as conpletely invalidating otherwise useful Pokemon. Lando-T does not create that paradox of use shitmon otherwise I outright lose.

I believe your viewpoint on what is and isn't "broken". I'm certain that you understand that Landorus is centralising, but it is not over centralising. While Landorus does influence the tier by outright beating most, dare I say all hazard setters that are currently in the tier with its stealth rock + z move sets, being a great breaker / sweeper with its amazing offensive sets (scarf is still ass, don't use it) as well as being the best physically defensive pivot in the tier it doesn't make it broken - it just makes it versatile.
Please stop trying to derail this thread with an argument that's been shut down multiple times in multiple threads.

Landorus does have good versatility, but not great (imo), 80% of the time it is either a Setup Z-Sweeper or it's defensive, after one turn you can usually tell the difference as well, be it in speed, use of Z move or if it has leftovers/rocky helmet.

Scarf can be pretty surprising but again it's pretty easy to figure out when he's Scarfed and then you know he can only be locked into one move. With so many mons carrying Ice or Water (the fact these are often special attacks) and with bulky grass types like Tangrowth and Tapu Bulu, as well as Flying/Steel types like Celesteela and Skarmory also walling L-T he is not inherently broken.

Plus all these answers to Lando are viable in their own right, it's not like Shed Shell Tapu Lele, which is inferior in every way except dealing with Dugtrio, but of course people are forced to use it.

Man so what the heck have I been missing that's caused Hawlucha to rise to OU? I don't really see much of a reason to run it, other than if I wanted to run a Seed Unburden SD set. I think Toxapex and some other walls can take care of it easily, although maybe I'm wrong.

Man so what the heck have I been missing that's caused Hawlucha to rise to OU? I don't really see much of a reason to run it, other than if I wanted to run a Seed Unburden SD set. I think Toxapex and some other walls can take care of it easily, although maybe I'm wrong.
Thats its whole niche lol, outspeeding the whole metagame at +1 defense (which makes it very hard to revenge kill) while being able to fire off high bp stabs in acro and hjk. It makes for a very good cleaner and win con with sd and fits very nicely on teams that use koko like rain

Walls dont really handle it that easily as toxapex is 2hko'd at +2, even defensive lando is 2hko with +1 acrobatics

It pairs very well with rain teams, specifically alongside Tapu Koko. It helps break down a lot of the grass types that check rain such as Ferrothorn, AV Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss. Tornadus-T can do this too, but not as effectively without the rain up due to the shaky accuracy of Hurricane followed by the lack of sheer power of SD-boosted attacks, as well as lacking the speed granted by Unburden, with Torn-T being outsped by Greninja.

Hawlucha also pairs up well with Tapu Bulu and Tapu Lele as they both appreciate their Steel-type checks being removed while also providing Hawlucha with the terrain needed to activate any of the seeds.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
Just that - seed unburden. NJNP made a rain team with Koko + Lucha and it's taken the ladder by storm. Lucha does struggle with walls but rain is pretty strong so that isn't too strong of an issue.

With the +1 Defense Boost, you can setup up on standard Lando-T (well, anything other than SSS Lando-T) which is fairly omnipresent. Continental Crush does like 60 and you can just boost and heal up with Drain Punch. Ferrothorn becomes setup fodder too, and you can heal up with Drain Punch so the chip from Leech Seed/Iron Barbs gets negated. Tangrowth is set-up fodder too, and these are all common mons. Once you weaken Toxapex/Zapdos/Koko, LUCHADOR can blast through teams.

Good question. Another good examples are Aegislash, and ORAS Greninja. I asked the exact same thing a couple posts above. I guess Landorus is THAT much adored and easy to use, and the members of the council don't want their favourite toy banned
I think I can give you an answer that satisfies you.

Aegislash was actually banned because of King's Shield's attack drop, otherwise it is a fine pokemon.

Genesect is better than Land-T because Genesect can kill multiple poke in the same game, while Land-T can only use Z-move once. Also, Land-T's defensive sets do not make its offensive any more threatening than they already do, while Genesect's unpredictablilty makes each of its sets harder to scout.

Genesect has always been a controversial pokemon though, so yeah it is fine if you think it does not deserve uber, blame democracy for that.

Smogon often has weird logics on why a pokemon is strong (and versatility is one of the most misused terminology) but the sense of power level is generally okay.

Last edited:
I think I can give you an answer that satisfies you.

Aegislash was actually banned because of King's Shield's attack drop, otherwise it is a fine pokemon.

Genesect is better than Land-T because Genesect can kill multiple poke in the same game, while Land-T can only use Z-move once. Also, Land-T's defensive sets do not make its offensive any more threatening than they already do, while Genesect's unpredictablilty makes each of its sets harder to scout.

Genesect has always been a controversial pokemon though, so yeah it is fine if you think it does not deserve uber, blame democracy for that.

Smogon often has weird logics on why a pokemon is strong (and versatility is one of the most misused terminology) but the sense of power level is generally okay.
thats...stupidly incorrect.

Aegislash as a pokemon warped the tier around itself, due to the vast amount of sets it could run and pokemon it could beat. Not running Aegislash on each and every team actively made your team worse, and you had to have multiple answers to it. alot of Sets did not run Kings Shield.

It was the combination of its absurd stats, great typing, excellent movepool and the sheer amount of sets it could run because of them and Kings Shield in part that pushed it over the edge. no single part of Aegislash was broken, it was the whole mon

Genesect did much of the same, being able to run a variety of equally viable sets with different answers, making things not viable by existing, needing multiple answers. The difference between the two is that Aegislash warped the tier while Genesect didn't give a fuck about the tier and won free Momentum regardless, forcing out literally everything infront of it and getting a U-Turn off.

Lando...is not like that at all.

Lando is accounted for on most well built teams naturally, its presence does not warp the tier around itself, minus outclassing some other mons who may want to do its job. Its not guranteed to do its job to come in and is not an assured positive for using it, as most of its sets have similar answers. Its a glue mon that can be moulded to your team to do any role you really require of it. Thats why its used so much. Thats why its S Ranked. Its not broken its insanely splashable. There is a huge difference.

This is also off topic as hell. and was already answered above...with answers from another thread why do people keep doing this?

Lando switch ins are destroyed by flying Z or smack down or gravity sets so Lando doesn't have switch ins its probably comparable to hydreigon in gen 5 that it doesn't have counters only checks.

Aegislash as a pokemon warped the tier around itself, due to the vast amount of sets it could run and pokemon it could beat. Not running Aegislash on each and every team actively made your team worse, and you had to have multiple answers to it. alot of Sets did not run Kings Shield.

It was the combination of its absurd stats, great typing, excellent movepool and the sheer amount of sets it could run because of them and Kings Shield in part that pushed it over the edge. no single part of Aegislash was broken, it was the whole mon

Genesect did much of the same, being able to run a variety of equally viable sets with different answers, making things not viable by existing, needing multiple answers. The difference between the two is that Aegislash warped the tier while Genesect didn't give a fuck about the tier and won free Momentum regardless, forcing out literally everything infront of it and getting a U-Turn off.

Lando is accounted for on most well built teams naturally, its presence does not warp the tier around itself, minus outclassing some other mons who may want to do its job. Its not guranteed to do its job to come in and is not an assured positive for using it, as most of its sets have similar answers. Its a glue mon that can be moulded to your team to do any role you really require of it. Thats why its used so much. Thats why its S Ranked. Its not broken its insanely splashable. There is a huge difference.

This is also off topic as hell. and was already answered above...with answers from another thread why do people keep doing this?
I especially like your point that Lando is accounted for naturally. It is versatile and splashable, but you should already be prepping for Ground move users because Zygarde and Garchomp are prevalent. You should be prepping for bulky rock setters, physical Z-move breakers, strong Flying physical hits (M-Pinsir and Bird Spam offense), etc. Lando doesn't have like, a unique thing that makes you specifically prep for it, it just can fill a lot of roles well that other mons also fill.

Obviously I know Aegislash has good defense and offense, but when asked why Bolt is able to be the fastest human in the world you don't start with "well Bolt has two legs which has blah blah blah vs people with one....."

Also, "wrap the tier around itself"/"make things not viable by existing" are a few of those statements commonly find in Smogon that kinda triggers me. It is an argument that has no specification what so ever and its definition is at best a vague one. Its truthfulness is often supported by nothing and is almost entirely subjective. It creates more confusion than it clarifies and is the reason people like SJMistery got totally lost.

Maybe it is in part to blame for people not playing against Aegislash for so long, Aegislash's offensive and defensive capability are now stupidly overrated, esp. when you have mons like Land-T being put into context(other comparable mons would be TTar and Heatran). Gosh, on the physical side Land-T literally hits harder AND tanks better AT THE SAME TIME.

If you go back to read the suspect discussions, handling Aegislash's combination of offensive and defensive presence was hardly considered overwhelming or even difficult. The biggest issue has always been King's Shield's attack drop allowing it to 50/50 matchups it should really just loses(including but not limited Zard X/Knock off users/pursuit trap).

As for Genesect, well the "versatility" that got it banned are totally different to the "versatility" that Aegislash and Land-T possesses, it is not comparable to Land-T in anyway what so ever. I talked about it in the past but that is basically Smogon screwing up on what "versatility" actually means.

Also, "wrap the tier around itself"/"make things not viable by existing" are a few of those statements commonly find in Smogon that kinda triggers me. It is an argument that has no specification what so ever and its definition is at best a vague one. Its truthfulness is often supported by nothing and is almost entirely subjective. It creates more confusion than it clarifies and is the reason people like SJMistery got totally lost.
I agree that common phrases are often misused(especially in suspect test threads), but I think that isnt unique to Smogon, but rather a problem with the disscusion on the internet as a whole. As for the phrases "wrap the tier around itself"/"make things not viable by existing" itself: They should be used when a pokemon is so good that you have to bring SPECIFIC countermeassures just for them, often more then one. This creates a very small pool of viable pokemon after a while that only consist of the big threats and their checks and counters. This is unavoidable when you dont want to lose to said big threats. VGC with Mega Kangiskan is a good example of this or even Blaziken/Mega Blaziken last gen.

Maybe it is in part to blame for people not playing against Aegislash for so long, Aegislash's offensive and defensive capability are now stupidly overrated, esp. when you have mons like Land-T being put into context(other comparable mons would be TTar and Heatran). Gosh, on the physical side Land-T literally hits harder AND tanks better AT THE SAME TIME.
This is simple incorrect. With 5 more base point in Atk Aegislash hits even harder physically then lando while have the same power ALSO as a special attacker. Plus offensive Landorus is not even that bulky. Common physical threats do good damage against offensive Lando and special threats outright destroy it because of its medium Spdef stat. Aegislash can take hits from Heatran, Tar and Lando in shield form and destroy the former ones with Sacred Sword and does up to 70% with Shadow Ball to offensive Lando. That is being an offensive threat AND taking hits well at the same time. Lando is not like that. Ether you are bulky with lots of HP investment then your damage output is medium or you are offensive with medium bulk at best. That was and never is Landos role in the metagame though. It is a glue/pivot mon.

If you go back to read the suspect discussions, handling Aegislash's combination of offensive and defensive presence was hardly considered overwhelming or even difficult. The biggest issue has always been King's Shield's attack drop allowing it to 50/50 matchups it should really just loses(including but not limited Zard X/Knock off users/pursuit trap).

As for Genesect, well the "versatility" that got it banned are totally different to the "versatility" that Aegislash and Land-T possesses, it is not comparable to Land-T in anyway what so ever. I talked about it in the past but that is basically Smogon screwing up on what "versatility" actually means.
I agree with you that Aegislash pure power outlet wasnt the reason for its ban. It was the sheer amout of roles it could compress into a single team slot with very limeted counterplay. There are 2 types of "versatility". The first is the versatility of sets, the other the versatility of roles. Genesect is a very good example of the first case with a huge amount of viable sets to run from Choice Band, Choice Specs, Rock Polish Life Orb, Choice Scarf, Splash Drive, Mixed and more. Pokemon like this a deeply unpredictable because of their deep movepools and if such a pokemon has the right stats and the right ability to back that movepool up(like Genesect did) then it becomes very difficult to handle for a team.
Landorus-T fits clearly in the second category along with Pokemon such a Clefable and Rotom-Wash. They dont necessarily have a huge amout of different sets(Lando has like 3) and unpredictability but rather because of their typing and stat distrubtion, they can fulfil a great number of different roles for the team. They mostly arent used because they cause havak for the opponet but rather because they allow more breathing room for other Pokemon on the team to fulfil important roles. They are the medium catch all glue mons that are very often used as pivots.
While you need to bring very specifc answers for the first category you dont for the second. You should be prepaired for Landorus-T pretty much naturally by having a solid ground resist in a meta with Zygarde or just by having a decently fast special threat. Pretty much any faster mon with a decent special stat or a Water or Ice coverage can force it out or do big damage. While it is true that it is more difficult to check defensively, offensivly it is pretty easy. And we have a lot of such Pokemon, like Kyurem-Black which almost garanties a kill with its Z-Move set but is easy to check.

Except Aegislash both hits harder and tanks better at the same time, both physically and specially.

You may say "B-but it has 60/50/50 defenses in Blade Forme"... but it has base 60 speed. It's going to take a hit in Shield Forme, with 60/150/150 defenses, and then change to Blade, with the same attacking stats as Rayquaza. Also, don't forget that when it switches in, it does so in Shield Forme.

That's the problem, and that's why King's Shield is not what is broken, and what sets Aegislash apart from other things.

Compare that with Arena Trap on Dugtrio, as it's an otherwise poor Pokemon. And that's without mentioning the only two other Pokemon with Arena Trap.

Last edited:
Except Aegislash both hits harder and tanks better at the same time, both physically and specially.

You may say "B-but it has 60/50/50 defenses in Blade Forme"... but it has base 60 speed. It's going to take a hit in Shield Forme, with 60/150/150 defenses, and then change to Blade, with the same attacking stats as Rayquaza. Also, don't forget that when it switches in, it does so in Shield Forme.

That's the problem, and that's why King's Shield is not what is broken, and what sets Aegislash apart from other things.

Compare that with Arena Trap on Dugtrio, as it's an otherwise poor Pokemon. And that's without mentioning the only two other Pokemon with Arena Trap.
145 base attack + 100 base power Earthquake > 150 base attack + 80 base power Shadow Ball, I mean yeah 150 attack is amazing can you not forget AS's highest power move sits at 80 base power?

With Intimitate, max def Land-T's physical effective defense sits at 382*306*1.5 = 175338, while max def/sped Aegislash PED/SED sits at 324*438 = 141912

Quite literally hits and tanks better at the same time, Intimitate has its limit but arguably far less clunky to use than Stance Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)