Media Metalheads Thread III

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Well, now I know that a collaboration between Julie Christmas and Cult of Luna is really appealing to me.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looking to expand my selection of metal that I listen to again, looking for recommendations based on what I like, from what I currently listen to. Death growls are not my thing, though there's the rare one that melds nicely with the instrumentals.

Scorpions, Helloween, Iron Maiden (Seventh Son one of my top 3 albums), a little Judas Priest, Queensryche, Avenged Sevenfold, Evergrey, Symphony X, Blind Guardian, Torrent, Kamelot, Pain of Salvation are the main overarching ones I listen to, plus ofc random tracks from Metallica etc

Looking to expand my selection of metal that I listen to again, looking for recommendations based on what I like, from what I currently listen to. Death growls are not my thing, though there's the rare one that melds nicely with the instrumentals.

Scorpions, Helloween, Iron Maiden (Seventh Son one of my top 3 albums), a little Judas Priest, Queensryche, Avenged Sevenfold, Evergrey, Symphony X, Blind Guardian, Torrent, Kamelot, Pain of Salvation are the main overarching ones I listen to, plus ofc random tracks from Metallica etc
i'm just going to come out and say, you need to get over not liking harsh vocals. it's an acquired taste, and it's a taste you need to acquire. there are literally hundreds of amazing albums you prevent yourself from enjoying otherwise. at least keep an open mind towards them.

having said that, here's some awesome shit to check out that has a combination of glorious clean vocals and other-worldly harsh vocals:

Opeth: Blackwater Park, Ghost Reveries, Still life

Leprous: Tall Poppy Syndrome, Bilateral, Coal

Swallow the Sun: Hope, The Morning Never Came, Ghosts of Loss

Extol: Undeceived, Mesmerized, Burial

Deschain is on the money regarding brootal deth growls. I don't know much about the non-Opeth bands he posted, but I agree that you absolutely need Blackwater Park and Still Life.

Anyway here's a bunch of my favorite heavy metal

Mercyful Fate - Melissa + Don't Break the Oath
King Diamond - Abigail
Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
Manilla Road - Crystal Logic + Open the Gates
Adramelch - Irae Melanox
In Solitude - The World. The Flesh. The Devil
Fates Warning - Awaken the Guardian
Zions Abyss - T.A.L.E.S.
Siren - No Place Like Home

I'm not the biggest power metal guy but some stuff I like a lot includes

Angra - Temple of Shadows
Ensiferum - s/t
Running Wild - Death or Glory
Turisas - The Varangian Way

And here's some death metal that has lots of prog elements in it

Carcass - Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Ulcerate - Everything is Fire
The Chasm - Deathcult for Eternity: The Triumph + Conjuration of the Spectral Empire

When it comes to getting used to harsh vocals, Gojira were my "gateway" such as it were. In contrast to what Deschain posted, Gojira seldom deviate from harsh vocals, but imo Joe's harsh vocals are incredibly smooth and diverse. Basically, despite the band playing some relatively heavy music, I think they're reasonably accessible. Also I just absolutely love their music, they're one of two bands to stand above all my other favourites (the other is Karnivool fwiw- prog rock although some of their songs are heavy enough to be considered metal)

Also I recommend checking out Mastodon. Idk about other people, but in getting used to harsh vocals I took exception to more than just the grating sound- I initially thought that by going harsh for extended periods they lost a lot of their impact and sounded lifeless and monotonous. The reason I suggest Mastodon is that imo when they go harsh they really sound furious, which is a break from what I just described.

Also Deschain, Mutyumu and Unexpect are fucking awesome =] I've been meaning to give Maudlin of the Well a bit of a listen as well.

On the note of avant-garde, thoughts on Diablo Swing Orchestra? I've been listening to them of late and I'm really swinging back and forth on them- one listen I'll find them insanely fun to listen to, catchy as hell, the next it just doesn't click for me. Probably doesn't help that I've started with Sing Along Songs for the Damned and Delirious, which from what I can tell isn't their strongest album

When it comes to getting used to harsh vocals, Gojira were my "gateway" such as it were. In contrast to what Deschain posted, Gojira seldom deviate from harsh vocals, but imo Joe's harsh vocals are incredibly smooth and diverse. Basically, despite the band playing some relatively heavy music, I think they're reasonably accessible. Also I just absolutely love their music, they're one of two bands to stand above all my other favourites (the other is Karnivool fwiw- prog rock although some of their songs are heavy enough to be considered metal)

Also I recommend checking out Mastodon. Idk about other people, but in getting used to harsh vocals I took exception to more than just the grating sound- I initially thought that by going harsh for extended periods they lost a lot of their impact and sounded lifeless and monotonous. The reason I suggest Mastodon is that imo when they go harsh they really sound furious, which is a break from what I just described.

Also Deschain, Mutyumu and Unexpect are fucking awesome =] I've been meaning to give Maudlin of the Well a bit of a listen as well.

On the note of avant-garde, thoughts on Diablo Swing Orchestra? I've been listening to them of late and I'm really swinging back and forth on them- one listen I'll find them insanely fun to listen to, catchy as hell, the next it just doesn't click for me. Probably doesn't help that I've started with Sing Along Songs for the Damned and Delirious, which from what I can tell isn't their strongest album
i've never been able to get into Gojira on any meaningful level. they're fine, but i'd rather listen to something else.

Mastodon is boring as fuck imo. x_x

hell yeah, motW is really nuts. fyi you can click the set list to listen (as well as all the other set lists i've posted itt)...for some reason a lot of folks don't seem to realize that. :(

the only DSO i'm in to is Deathspell Omega. ;) i actually feel the same way about uneXpect most of the time, like they're just being whacky for whacky's sake, to the point of absurdity. i can't take it seriously. not that i have to take something seriously to enjoy it, but those two bands just rub my pickle raw.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Mastodon is fucking superb. Their most recent was kinda meh iirc but Blood Mountain is unreal.

If anything the only thing boring about Mastodon is when they stay truer to "their roots". The fusion of more accessible almost pop rock hooks and choruses and whatnot is what gives them their best flavor.

My recommendation for Texas Cloverleaf is to pick up an album by avantasia or (probably preferable because of your prog interests?) ayreon and whenever you find a singer you like look up what band they're from.

Human Equation, Universal Migrator Part 2, and 01011001 all have great casts.

Last edited:
Pandora's Pinata is the best DSO by far, the other two are great but don't quite match it.

The other DSO is pretty good too!

Mastodon are pretty good, Crack the Skye is my favorite. Quintessence is amazing. Their most recent was actually quite nice from what I remember

TheValkyries

Oh fuck I didn't notice the mention of DSO. Agree on the Pandoras Piñata being the best by far but that's not to say the other two aren't good. Hell I'd say the second album is fucking fantastic.

For mastodons most recent I say meh because I enjoyed it but I don't remember it all to well. Doesn't stick with anyone else I know who've listened to it either. It's just a "well that was a nice experience" kind of listen.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'd say that his harsh vocals are really more accessible from FMtS onwards. The Link and Terra Incognita are nowhere near as accessible imo (not that they're bad, but definitely way less refined, I guess).

I'm just gonna spitball some bands that are pretty close to what you listed that you will probably like.

Holy Grail, Pharaoh, Threshold, Riot, Liege Lord, Control Denied, Crimson Glory, Running Wild, Iced Earth, Accept, and Vanden Plas

holy fuck, since when are they slated for a new one?!

it sounds fucking amazing. its most obvious similarity is colored sands of course but it seems they're expanding on that style while still sounding like themselves - there was a part about halfway through with the same screaming, squealing riff style present throughout obscura. the leads were really cool. I do hope the rest of the album picks up a bit more though, this track builds a little too much without ever really finishing and really pounding my face in.

overall: good looks, high hopes

My favorite band Eximperituserqethhzebibšiptugakkathšulweliarzaxułum has released a new song called Rytuał Pryzyŭnoha Zaklionu Ŭsioabdymnaj Ęnierhii Ciemry, U Hipastyĺnaj Zalie Matęryjalizacyi Ŭwasablieńniaŭ Kokabaęła, Zaklikany Zubožyć Ahafałahičnyja Abliččy Idałaŭ Anhârąka, Zwajawaŭšych Wypramieńwańnie Pandęmaničnaha Pantęonu Kheri-Beq-F, Addajučy Piaščanym Wiatram Supăja Prystupki Mastaba Šmatsuswietnaj Intęrprętacyi Κονξ Ομ Παξ, Z Mętaj Zrynuć Chanifičny Impuĺs Kaâba Jaki Pieraškadžaje Raspaŭsiudžwańniu Baryjonnaj Asimietryi Niebuliarnych Rahoŭ Satany. It sounds exactly how you think it would.

TheValkyries

Still trying to figure out if I like all the music from this band but this song just absolutely fucking monsters it. God DAMN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)