Media Metalheads Thread III

finally getting around to that old great ones' as well, yet to form a strong opinion on it tho o_o what's everyone listening to???
it's my AotY at this point.

here's the other stuff i've liked: https://rateyourmusic.com/list/Praemorior/2017-praemorior-searches-for-water-in-the-desert/

So I finally got around to buying Pelagial by The Ocean and it's bloody excellent. I saw them when they toured with Ne Obliviscaris a couple months ago, and they absolutely fucking killed it. I was really surprised, since I went mainly to see NeO, The Ocean were just another name on my list of bands to check out eventually at that point.

Other stuff I've been listening to:
Leprous- Bilateral. Takes a while to get your head around this one I think, definitely good, probably not as much as TPS or Congregation but better than Coal imo. Still undecided.
i don't really care for The Ocean after Precambrian.

Bilateral is their best imo.

B>TPS>C>TC

What are ppl's thoughts on the new Mastodon album? Personally I find it frustrating, as there are plenty of good bits and pieces but nothing comes together. Probably the biggest issue I have with it is that most of the songs build up to sections that place an emphasis on sounding trippy, which for me dials back the intensity and just kinda ruins it. It's not the sound itself, but the fact that that's what the songs build to. Ironically, some of the songs have some incredibly thick, heavy riffs in the verses and I can't help but think they would've been better served by swapping the heavy stuff with the trippy stuff.

Other albums I downloaded recently:

Amon Amarth- With Oden On Our Side. I like Amon Amarth, but I don't love them, and this album's no different
Anthrax- Persistence of Time. Welp, looks like another old album that I absolutely can't stand. Vocals are especially bad, occupy a valley of awful between clean and harsh
Fen- Carrion Skies. Idk, they're decent atmoblack I guess. Need more listens.
Hacride- Back to Where You've Never Been. Pretty decent, not amazing though. To slap a label on it, it's prog-death type stuff, a band I occasionally see recommended based on Gojira.
Katatonia- The Great Cold Distance. It's funny, iirc the last post I made in this thread discussed Ghost Brigade, and Katatonia goes for a similar vibe (albeit more mellow) and does it a lot better. Easily my favourite recent purchase so far.
The Ocean- Precambrian. A bit funny in terms of the way the album is stuctured, it starts off with some balls to the wall aggression that wears you out so that when it eventually balances out you enjoy the quieter moments more than the heavier moments. Imo that's not a good thing, but maybe with a few more listens that'll change
Soen- Cognitive. Decent, nothing spectacular. Were it not for the vocalist you could easily mistake this for a Tool album
System of a Down- Toxicity. Haven't actually gotten a chance to listen to it yet, but it's an album that I'm amazed I haven't listened to before (I've pretty much only listened to Chop Suey)

if you liked that katatonia album you definitely have to get their magnum opus, brave murder day. phenomenal record and this is from someone who generally isn't too high on death doom

I've only heard one thing from fen (the malediction fields) which is worth checking out at some point but I would probably give priority to the essentials it's most inspired by (dead as dreams, blut aus nord's early stuff).

1982 Bristol, England Speed Metal. Axe Crazy is a song that was originally released as the A-side of a 7" vinyl single of the same name on the Neat Records label. Along with fellow then Neat Records label mates Raven, The song Axe Crazy is often in contention with songs such as Raven's Faster Than the Speed of Light for contention in regards to one of the earliest "trve" speed metal songs.

Last edited:
The Ocean- Precambrian. A bit funny in terms of the way the album is stuctured, it starts off with some balls to the wall aggression that wears you out so that when it eventually balances out you enjoy the quieter moments more than the heavier moments. Imo that's not a good thing, but maybe with a few more listens that'll change

System of a Down- Toxicity. Haven't actually gotten a chance to listen to it yet, but it's an album that I'm amazed I haven't listened to before (I've pretty much only listened to Chop Suey)
i love Precambrian, it's their best album imo. starts out channeling Meshuggah, then morphs that into their own brand of atmospheric sludge.

Toxicity has held up remarkably well over the years.

This new Artificial Brain is destroying me right now
yeah it's dope af

Man, NeO are the most frustrating band. Imo their core sound is good enough that they'd have to really fuck up to release a bad album, but Urn was underwhelming for me. When they released Citadel it was still good, but it felt a bit like they were going through the motions and Urn only reinforces that feeling. I mean, there are definitely some segments of the album that aren't as great, but there are a lot of parts where I listen to it and I kinda recognise that all the parts are there for me to like it and yet I barely feel anything. The funny thing is that I still absolutely love their debut, idk what's different. Since Urn hasn't done it, maybe Pacifisticuffs will unseat In Contact (by Caligula's Horse) as my favourite album this year.

Random thoughts- Litany by Vader is easily my favourite album that I bought recently. Just some good headbanging shit.

I've listened to Obscura by Gorguts a bunch and I still don't see the appeal. There's just nothing to latch onto, so that means my biggest problem with it isn't that it sounds like a mess, but that it's boring on top of that

It's probably not an original thought Control Denied literally sounds like The Sound of Perseverance with clean vocals. Like holy shit it's ridiculous. It's strange, it's almost like they shared band members with Death or something...

After having it on my list of albums to get for ages I finally got Lun by Destiny Potato. It's really poppy djent type stuff (I mean really pop-influenced) which might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoyed it. Also their band name is GOAT

really excited for this year, lots of promising albums coming up. new portal is flirting w/my aoty slot rn, plus there’s the rumor circulating over a new tool album, what??? Plus there are reports of new releases from behemoth / at the gates/ pig destroyer / baroness / gatecreeper, a double lp from panopticon, a sumac collab w/Keiji Haino on a hot streak, even something from bkc’s fave deafheaven. if even a few of those hit i’ll be beyond stoked

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
What's with all the sudden hate for Mastodon? They seemed pretty underrated to me and apparently in the span of a week now they're "Overrated" and "Just cookie cutter garbage"....people realize they've been around for nearly two decades right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)