Mini-mafia games

I've noticed that pretty much all of the Mafia games here are really big (like, 25 players at least) and in my opinion, that creates a lot of unorganized chaos. Me, I love more of the organized chaos where you know what's going on but one mistake fucks you over.

As a result, I'd like to introduce the Mini Mafia game setup, based on setups from EpicMafia. I've played a lot of them and a bunch involve just pure mind-fuckery. The greatest part is that maybe 8 people play in them max. Here's a couple of examples:

Setup163:
3 Blues (Townies)
1 Vanilla (Mafia)
1 Bodyguard (EM style where 50% of the time attacker dies and 50% of the time BG dies)
1 Watcher
1 Tracker
1 Disguiser
1 Janitor
No whispers (PMs) and Night 0 start

Dethy
:
1/2 Vanilla/Yakuza (Yakuza's can convert a townie to Mafia status by suiciding)
1/2 Cop
1/2 Insane Cop (opposite result to Cop)
1/2 Naive Cop (result is always Innocent)
1/2 Paranoid Cop (result is always Guilty)
No whispers (PMs) and Night 0 start

I haven't even put down my favourite set-ups. But stuff like this involves a shitload of mindfucking while not requiring 50 people.

Now, I'd like to host these types of games if possible. What I can do is put up a sign-up for about 5 or 6 games and randomly assign people roles for a specific game. Then they do their shit in that game since these games involve a lot more discussion in the thread rather than just "vote x".

My idea OK at all or is it rather shitty? Please be honest.

Actually, I've played a lot of them on forums (EpicMafia is more IRC styled, though) too. They're actually fantastic on forums since you have a lot more time to format your ideas and convince people to follow you.

Basically, if everyone follows the "no Whisper/PM" rule of no talking outside of the game thread, they end up hilarious and really fun.

I am for a few of these in our forum. I play on mafiascum and they have it so that it's basically Lockdown Mafia, except mafia can only speak during the night. It's not in anyway a fast paced game, but it would be interesting to host two or three test ones here to see how they work out.

I think this can work great as a RTM. Not sure if you can convince enough people to try this on forum format here, but I would support it.

In that case, I can put up a sign-up with the two scenarios listed above as a test run. Everyone OK with that?

I'd also like some sort of confirmation from a mod of the forum to do so.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
You might want to clear this up with Mekkah and the Circus Maximus Mods first, as the thread will be locked. You might also want to look at this:
Circus Maximus Rules

Otherwise I would be interested in this.

I would join either one if I'm able to and this gets approved. Anyways, all you need is to contact the mods and check the forum rules.

Well, I'm not really one for flavour and I'm of the opinion that these games don't really need flavour since you'll know which role is in each game to begin with. I'll flavour the deaths for sure but as for role stuff and other goodies... Not really.

Oh and if it works, I'm adding in my personal favourite set-up which even has people claiming Mafia on day 1.

THE_IRON_...KENYAN?

Banned deucer.
There can only be so many small mafias on at one time. These spots are usually reserved for mafia games of a MUCH larger type than this because of the quality a larger, more flavored and thought out game has as opposed to small and simple ones like this.

Coming from a player with loads of experience on this forum, and im not trying to offend you at all by saying this, a mafia of this size would simply be a waste of space on the forum, so you should definitely do this on IRC.

One way you could make it viable is to scale up the game for a larger player bunch.

I agree with TIK. This is basically just an RTM except slower. =/ No offense, little mafias can be good, but they're better on IRC.

1 Bodyguard (EM style where 50% of the time attacker dies and 50% of the time BG dies)
We had someone bring this role into one of their games without us (the mods) realising it and it didn't go down well. Leaving things to chance like that isn't very good in my opinion.

Anyway, I am not opposed to allowing small No Outside Communication mafias and there are some proponents of these types of games here (such as Seven Deadly Sins and Chris Is Me) but I am not sure what category the games would fit in (Beginner / Standard / Expert). You would also have to make sure that everyone here fully understands the roles because not too many of us have played at all on EpicMafia (I have played a few games and I know a few others have too). I'll talk to Mekkah and Gmax and see what they think about the category of the game.

One reason I don't like this idea is that it takes up a spot in the game listing while allowing only 10 guys to play (while usually there's 15 more). NOC is also a questionable format on here...the mafia won both games we played with no casualties on their side at all.

Thanks guys, I'm really taking your responses to heart. I can probably scale up Dethy but that would just become a huge mess...

What if I were to host them on IRC but have sign-ups and one mini-mafia thread to keep track of all the ongoing games here? Could that possibly work? If so, I can put a game in full writing to any mod who wants to see it.

LightWolf

lightwoof
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'd have one little suggestion, to make this much easier to do even.

Why waste a thread, or even use IRC for this? You can create closed games with passwords on EpicMafia, so it is much easier to do it that way, than setting up an IRC channel when someone wants to host one... What is even nicer, no one needs to host, everyone can play. Game numbers vary from big to small ones, so it is pretty flexible even, and thinking up setups is no problem either, many exist, which surely fits what you'd like to play.

One thread with hosting times and all that is fine, with posts announcing hosting times and passwords.

I'd have one little suggestion, to make this much easier to do even.

Why waste a thread, or even use IRC for this? You can create closed games with passwords on EpicMafia, so it is much easier to do it that way, than setting up an IRC channel when someone wants to host one... What is even nicer, no one needs to host, everyone can play. Game numbers vary from big to small ones, so it is pretty flexible even, and thinking up setups is no problem either, many exist, which surely fits what you'd like to play.

One thread with hosting times and all that is fine, with posts announcing hosting times and passwords.
That's actually a brilliant idea... for those who want to take the time to set up an account.

That being said, I honestly don't mind doing this at all. As long as people are on board to try it, I'm happy. I personally like small clusterfucks rather than huge ones.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)