SM OU Modest Specs Tapu Lele Centered Balance Team

This is a team made to facilitate Tapu Lele in clicking buttons and getting kills, due to it’s insane hitting power. The Pokemon on the team cover a lot of different types, so at least one of them can generally switch in and eat a hit. I have come across some major issues with the team, though, namely a weakness to Kartana, especially SD Kartana Tapu Bulu, and Knock Off. Ferrothorn is difficult to deal with, but isn’t as big of a threat. Any minor flaws that can be pointed out would be appreciated with.

Tapu Lele @ Choice Specs
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

As stated in the title, Tapu Lele is the core of the team. Usually Psychic/Psyshock and Moonblast will put a dent in Pokemom that even resist it. Psychic and Moonblast are standard STAB moves, Psyshock is to hit SpDef walls, which my team has some trouble with, since I only have Lando-T as a true physical attacker. HP Fire is to cover Scizor, Ferrothorn, Kartana if I can predict the switch correctly. I don’t use it often for 2x Damage on Steel Types, like Celesteela, as Psychic normally does a similar amount and the other Pokemon on the team should cover them.

Mew @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 156 Def / 112 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

Standard physically defensive Mew. Ice Beam allows me to check the likes of Zygarde, Lando-T, and other physical Pokemon weak to Ice. Will-O-Wisp further cripples physical attackers, which allows me to switch it into Pokemon like Medicham-M, Lopunny-M, and Hawlucha. I opted for Stealth Rock over Defog as I already have Tapu Fini for Defog, and I like having two Rockers as most of my hard hitters need one hit from Rocks to be able to OHKO, and for the fact that I have options for who I want to switch in to get Rocks up. It's my main switch in to Scarf Kartana. If I can get it locked into a move that isn't Knock Off, Mew comes in and is able to 2OHKO it, or burn it if I want.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 136 HP / 128 Atk / 44 Def / 200 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Rock Slide

A standard Scarf Lando-T. I generally use it as a pivot. With Intimidate and it’s bulk, it can generally take a good amount of hits. I really like it as a check to Greninja, as Choice Scarf allows me to outspeed it and hit it hard with either U-Turn or EQ, so long as it’s not Scarfed itself, which is unlikely due to the prevalance of Ash-Greninja. Once Greninja is at 80%, both moves OHKO it. Outside of Greninja, it hits hard on a lot of Pokemon with EQ, can pressure other Lando-T with HP Ice, and Rock Slide is specifically for Volcarona, and other Pokemon that happen to be 4x Weakness, but I don’t see much outside of Volcarona.

Latios-Mega @ Latiosite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psychic
- Earthquake
- Draco Meteor
- Roost

I wanted another Pokemon that could use the Psychic Terrain, and Latios-M seemed to best fit, as it can run EQ for things like Heatran or other Steel Types. Draco Meteor over Ice Beam as I already have checks for Zygarde, Lando-T, and similar Pokemon. Due to its somewhat decent bulk and access to Roost, I can use it to eat a hit or two if really needed.

Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Heatran serves as a second Rocker, and checks bulky Grass Pokemon that the others can’t deal as well with like Ferrothorn. It also traps Pokemon that like to set up hazards and support it’s team by trapping with Magma Storm and Taunt. Earth Power is there to hit Heatran if I predict correctly, Rock Types like Tyranitar, and Toxapex if really needed, but the others should cover it. Firium Z allows me to hit bulky Steel types like Celesteela as well, since I can trap them first with Magma Storm, then fire off the Z Move.

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 224 Def / 36 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Defog
- Scald
- Calm Mind

Tapu Fini is my go-to wall; it eats up hits very well. I use it often to wall Ash-Greninja, as it has nothing it can hit Fini with, even with Specs. Moonblast and Scald are standard STAB moves - I opted for Scald over Hydro Pump on the off chance that I might get a burn on a Hawlucha or other Pokemon of that nature. I like using Calm Mind over other options like Taunt as it further increases my bulk, allowing me to set up for a late game sweep. It also lets me go up against other Calm Mind Sweepers as well.

The main weaknesses, as I said before, are to Kartana, especially SD Kartana, Tapu Bulu, and Knock Off. Kartana can switch into all of my Pokemon and have some move to hit hard. For example, if it switches into Tapu Fini to Leaf Blade, I have to switch into Heatran. However, if it's the Swords Dance variant, it can SD on my switch, and then proceed to hit my Heatran with Sacred Sword, and then sweep the rest of my team. If it gets up a Swords Dance, then I'm forced to sack one of my Pokemon to safely get in Latios-M to OHKO it with Draco Meteor, but by the time I get in Latios, Kartana has already been switched out. Tapu Bulu gives me trouble simply for the fact that I don't have anything to hit it hard with, especially Assault Vest variants, outside of Psyshock with my Tapu Lele. The only problem is that, if I switch in Tapu Lele into Tapu Bulu, Tapu Lele will take a huge hit. Tapu Lele outspeeds it, even with a Modest Nature, but doesn't even have a guaranteed OHKO with Stealth Rocks. If I predict his switch into Tapu Bulu and send out Tapu Lele, it's still problematic as the Grassy Terrain comes second, so it is the terrain that stays. Knock Off is generally an issue for me since the only switch that I have for it is Heatran, which doesn't even resist it. Tapu Fini can take a Knock Off but it loses its only form of recovery. Landorus-T also can take the damage, but loses its Choice Scarf, which then makes it slower than most threats. Would love to get some feedback to solve some of these issues.

Here are some replays:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-777924282
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-777926895

Last edited:
I would trade psychic or psyshock for Focus blast just to hit dark types and steels as well. I would give up rock slide on LandoT for explosion which would absolutely destroy a pokemon's health if not kill it. I would get rid of Ice beam on mew and put taunt, and after tha put ice beam on latios instead of eq because you don't really need eq on 2 mons even when you have LandoT, the meta king. 2 rockers doesn't seem like it would be a good idea and you also don't have any grass hits on your team so maybe a z-solar beam would be good on tran. Fini looks fine. Anyways gl

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Hey Taengsta! Tapu Lele is a very powerful Pokemon, especially when holding a Choice Specs. It's one of my personal favorite Pokemon to use because I love clicking Psychic and seeing resists take a huge chunk of damage. Although your team is solid, there's definitely some changes you can make to improve it.

=========================

Let's talk first about some threats to your team, which will make pinpointing its weak links and improving it much easier.

Psychic spam is quite troublesome for your team to deal with because your Heatran has no access to recovery. Tapu Lele's STAB attacks are only resisted by Heatran, which is 2HKOed by Psychic. Mega Alakazam can sweep your team easily if it gets to Calm Mind up versus either Mew or Latios.

Like you mentioned, Grass spam is also quite annoying. Tapu Bulu can pressure Mew and Latios easily whenever it comes in against Tapu Lele or Tapu Fini, and Kartana can even sweep late game under the right circumstances (if your team has taken chip damage).

Dark-types can get out of hand because your Fairy-type, Tapu Fini, possesses no reliable recovery. Hoopa-U and Tyranitar can click Hyperspace Fury and Crunch, respectively, if they come in against a choice locked Tapu Lele or against Mega Latios for free, and Tapu Fini takes a ton from their secondary STAB attacks.

Choice Scarf Landorus-T is really easy to wear down, especially with a well timed HP Ice, and then your team has no Electric immunities for Tapu Koko to Volt Switch around your team pretty freely. This is a huge nuisance because it can Volt Switch out to something like Ash-Greninja when Mega Latios comes in.

No recovery for Heatran means that Tornadus-T's Hurricane are going to be extremely bothersome to handle. In conjuction with U-turn, it can pivot out and bring something in that threatens Heatran and/or Mew.

Below are the suggestions that I believe will improve your team:

>

Clefable gives you a better, more reliable Stealth Rock user than Mew, freeing up a slot from Heatran. Although you lose access to Ice Beam and WoW, Clefable can still handle Zygarde most of the time. Most importantly, it has Wish to provide Heatran (and other members like Lando) with longevity, because using Z Heatran without Wish on these types of builds can really screw you over.

>

Now that you have a Fairy-type on your team, I don't believe you need two. Instead, Ferrothorn gives you a second Steel-type and a good backbone in Clefable - Ferrothorn - Heatran. Ferrothorn can provide your team with Spikes, and it can also receive Wishes from Clefable to not solely rely on Leech Seed and Leftovers. Moreover, it helps your team with Grass spam (which you mentioned was annoying) and Psychic spam to a certain extent, as SD Kartana is not too common anymore, as well as Tapu Koko.

Ice Beam > Draco Meteor
Losing Mew means that you need a better way to deal with Ground-types, and although Clefable usually handles Zygarde, it loses to Gliscor 1v1. Ice Beam allows you to beat Ground- and Grass-types, and Draco Meteor really isn't hitting much to begin with and drops your SpA by two stages, which can be problematic late-game.

Steelium Z
Certainly more nitpicky, but Steelium Z Heatran lets you beat Mega Alakazam better, which can be a huge threat if played correctly for your team. You lose a tad bit of firepower, but you still achieve the things your were hoping to accomplish with Firium Z.

Defog > Rock Slide
You wanted Rock Slide for Volcarona, but you don't outspeed if it sets up a Quiver Dance, so you're better off going with Defog just in case your opponent beats you in the hazard war.

(click me!)

I tried to keep the archetype of the team the same, but do note that I changed it from a potentially double Defog team to a hazard stacking one. I don't think you really need strict hazard control in Mew because Mega Latios enjoys breaking with hazards. Although I do think the team is better, there's still some things you should watch out for.
can pose a threat if you waste your Z-Move at an unnecessary time, so make sure to use it wisely.
is more annoying without Tapu Fini, so keep Ferrothorn healthy throughout the match. Lastly,
with Toxic can annoy your team, so play around it aggressively.

Hope I was able to help with the team; let me know if you have any questions! :toast:

HCJB

Banned deucer.
Nice team. I don't have a suggestion, just a minor correction - a pokemon has to be grounded to benefit from Psychic Terrain, so Mega Latios does not due to Levitate. I suppose if you want another Mega in its place Alakazam or Medicham may be suitable. Medicham can run Zen Headbutt/Ice Punch/HJK/Whatever and maintain pretty much the same coverage you wanted with Latios too. Complements Lele's special wall-breaking nicely as well.

Hey Taengsta! Tapu Lele is a very powerful Pokemon, especially when holding a Choice Specs. It's one of my personal favorite Pokemon to use because I love clicking Psychic and seeing resists take a huge chunk of damage. Although your team is solid, there's definitely some changes you can make to improve it.

Let's talk first about some threats to your team, which will make pinpointing its weak links and improving it much easier.

Psychic spam is quite troublesome for your team to deal with because your Heatran has no access to recovery. Tapu Lele's STAB attacks are only resisted by Heatran, which is 2HKOed by Psychic. Mega Alakazam can sweep your team easily if it gets to Calm Mind up versus either Mew or Latios.

Like you mentioned, Grass spam is also quite annoying. Tapu Bulu can pressure Mew and Latios easily whenever it comes in against Tapu Lele or Tapu Fini, and Kartana can even sweep late game under the right circumstances (if your team has taken chip damage).

Dark-types can get out of hand because your Fairy-type, Tapu Fini, possesses no reliable recovery. Hoopa-U and Tyranitar can click Hyperspace Fury and Crunch, respectively, if they come in against a choice locked Tapu Lele or against Mega Latios for free, and Tapu Fini takes a ton from their secondary STAB attacks.

Choice Scarf Landorus-T is really easy to wear down, especially with a well timed HP Ice, and then your team has no Electric immunities for Tapu Koko to Volt Switch around your team pretty freely. This is a huge nuisance because it can Volt Switch out to something like Ash-Greninja when Mega Latios comes in.

No recovery for Heatran means that Tornadus-T's Hurricane are going to be extremely bothersome to handle. In conjuction with U-turn, it can pivot out and bring something in that threatens Heatran and/or Mew.

Below are the suggestions that I believe will improve your team:

>

Clefable gives you a better, more reliable Stealth Rock user than Mew, freeing up a slot from Heatran. Although you lose access to Ice Beam and WoW, Clefable can still handle Zygarde most of the time. Most importantly, it has Wish to provide Heatran (and other members like Lando) with longevity, because using Z Heatran without Wish on these types of builds can really screw you over.

>

Now that you have a Fairy-type on your team, I don't believe you need two. Instead, Ferrothorn gives you a second Steel-type and a good backbone in Clefable - Ferrothorn - Heatran. Ferrothorn can provide your team with Spikes, and it can also receive Wishes from Clefable to not solely rely on Leech Seed and Leftovers. Moreover, it helps your team with Grass spam (which you mentioned was annoying) and Psychic spam to a certain extent, as SD Kartana is not too common anymore, as well as Tapu Koko.

Ice Beam > Draco Meteor
Losing Mew means that you need a better way to deal with Ground-types, and although Clefable usually handles Zygarde, it loses to Gliscor 1v1. Ice Beam allows you to beat Ground- and Grass-types, and Draco Meteor really isn't hitting much to begin with and drops your SpA by two stages, which can be problematic late-game.

Steelium Z
Certainly more nitpicky, but Steelium Z Heatran lets you beat Mega Alakazam better, which can be a huge threat if played correctly for your team. You lose a tad bit of firepower, but you still achieve the things your were hoping to accomplish with Firium Z.

Defog > Rock Slide
You wanted Rock Slide for Volcarona, but you don't outspeed if it sets up a Quiver Dance, so you're better off going with Defog just in case your opponent beats you in the hazard war.

(click me!)

I tried to keep the archetype of the team the same, but do note that I changed it from a potentially double Defog team to a hazard stacking one. I don't think you really need strict hazard control in Mew because Mega Latios enjoys breaking with hazards. Although I do think the team is better, there's still some things you should watch out for.
can pose a threat if you waste your Z-Move at an unnecessary time, so make sure to use it wisely.
is more annoying without Tapu Fini, so keep Ferrothorn healthy throughout the match. Lastly,
with Toxic can annoy your team, so play around it aggressively.

Hope I was able to help with the team; let me know if you have any questions! :toast:
How do you feel about switching Mega Latios for Mega Scizor? I’ve been using this set, and it’s been doing me well.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 64 Atk / 124 Def / 16 SpD / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Roost

It’s really been helping with Tapu Bulu and Kartana, as it takes any hit from either Pokemon. Superpower has a 50% chance to OHKO Kartana after Stealth Rock, and even if it doesn’t OHKO, Bullet Punch can knock it out next turn. It really helps deal with Psychic and Grass spam, which was a problem. I opted to keep Tapu Fini over Ferrothorn, as Scizor covered the weaknesses that Ferrothorn would have.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)