SM OU MOMENTUM: USUM VOLT-TURN + SWEEPER

Hello, Smogon! I haven't logged into this account since Black and White 2, but nobody cares, right? You're here for the team. I just started Gen 7 OU on Showdown and still learning, so any suggestions would be great. I'll try to go into as much detail as possible.

Teambuilding Process/Sets

I wanted a lead that could set rocks and U-turn out as well. It needed to be fast and powerful, and able to take common leads off-guard. Infernape made the cut.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Overheat
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Infernape with a Sash guarantees rocks on my side of the field, barring the rare Espeon lead. Overheat is powerful and deals massive damage turn one against leads that take supereffective or even neutral damage. Hidden Power Ice surprises and destroys Garchomp and Lando-T if I so choose to click it. Infernape was my first starter Pokemon ever, as my first Pokemon game was Platinum. I'm glad I was able to fit it here.

Next, I wanted two pivots for my team. These are here to take a hit and gain more momentum for the offense. I also wanted a Defogger to remove hazards from the field.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn

Mega-Scizor is my defensive pivot and defogger. Its job is to take physical, non-Fire-type attacks and to remove hazards on the field. Roost is used to keep this thing alive, because it is needed early- and mid-game to tank unboosted physical hits and force out Fairy-types and other Pokemon it counters. This set is good at taking hits from other Pokemon that have nothing to deal with it. Mega-Scizor U-turns on the switch and brings in a counter to the switch-in, keeping tue momentum going in my favor. This Pokemon hates Tapu Lele, but deals with other non-Fire-types just fine.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch

Rotom-Wash was a clear choice as my second pivot, at least to me. It provides a ground immunity, a Fire-counter and a way for my team to take Special hits and rebound with Volt Switch. Pain Split and Leftovers are not-so-reliable forms of recovery, but they work well enough to keep this little guy going. I looked at other turners, and Rotom-Wash synergizes with Mega-Scizor the best.

Next, I wanted fast, hard-hitting offense that could maintain momentum and punch holes in the opponent's defense.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Lando-T is the best Pokemon in the metagame, and I had to fit it on this team. Choice Scarfed Lando works the best, threatening supereffective or hard-hitting neutral moves and U-turning out into a counter for the next switch-in. Earthquake provides excellent STAB damage and threatens major OU threats such as Heatran and Tyranitar. Knock Off is mainly for utility, but it can mess up the day of a Pokemon weak to it, like Specs Latios. U-turn is usually more viable in that case, however. Stone Edge is great against the crazy Charizard-Y leads that have stayed in on me (I'm only laddering 1300's rn D: ), as well as outspeeding and OHKO-ing +1 D-Dance Dragonite after Stealth Rock. Jolly ensures I outspeed as much as necessary. Lando is perfect at cleaning late-game and revenge killing, so I had to include it here.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Tapu Koko is included in my team mainly because I wanted a quick, hard-hitting Special attacker, as well as something to keep up with the VoltTurn theme. Tapu Koko is incredibly fast, even unboosted, and with BoltBeam coverage, it blows through Pokemon like Defensive Lando-T, Pelipper and more.

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Rock Slide
- High Jump Kick

I was lacking a setup sweeper, and Hawlucha fit the bill. Fast, strong, and good with support from Tapu Koko. The rest of the team U-turns and punches holes in the opposing team, allowing Hawlucha to sweep late-game. Alternatively, Hawlucha can set up early to hit one or two mons hard (and even net a KO or two) High Jump Kick requires prediction, but works incredibly well (provided it hits). Rock Slide hits unsuspecting Flying- and Fire-type Pokemon nicely, and Acrobatics is insane after Electric Seed is used. Unburden makes Hawlucha stupid fast, and a Swords Dance spells game over for any Pokemon that don't resist Hawlucha's coverage.

I have only reached the 1300's so far. I am new to 7th gen and I hope to climb higher as I keep playing. Any comments and questions are welcome. Thanks for viewing :)

Last edited:
I'm unconvinced by that Scizor build. It just gives up all the momentum you've fought to build, especially if you take your own hazards off. Better yet with Landorus, Hawlucha, Rotom and a Sash, I'm not convinced this team cares enough about webs to justify it. You could go SD Scizor, but I'd probably just go for another sweeper as you're a little easy to just stop, maybe Calm Mind Mega Latios to keep the webs-resistant theme?

Also:

+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Zapdos: 322-380 (84 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Use Stone Edge. Please.

Excadrill is a generally better SR setter but if you are keen to use Infernape due to personal reasons, a physical Iron Fist may be more effective:

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Punch

This set also utilizes Taunt, which combined with your lack of hazard removal could be more useful (I know Scizor has Defog, I'll get to that). Fire Punch can deal solid damage to Landorus-T as well, unfortunaty taking damage from Rocky Helmet. Thunder Punch is very useful on Infernape, covering two obvious weaknesses. Jolly is prefered over Adamant to ensure that Infernape will outspeed the opposing lead for Taunt.

Scizor has an interesting set, but I think that it would be better used as a defensive setup sweeper. The damage output is limited but it would be more useful as there are plenty of good pivots that to more than just U-turn, such as Tsareena with Aromathearapy. While Defog does set Scizor appart, Infernape can prevent hazards while keeping its own. Maybe try this set:

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 200 Def
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

More attack EVs allow it to have a little more output and makes the Swords Dances more meaningful. The set is the classic sweeping set and can pivot effectively while also having use as another sweeper.

For Hawlucha, the Electric Seed can be replaced by a Flying Gem. IMO the stage of defense is unimportant but extra power on the Acrobatics could mean the difference between win an and loss. Also,"Use Stone Edge. Please." The power increase is quite necessary. 80 accuracy is sort of mediocre or maybe not even that, but the power is really needed to quickly deal with threats such as Zapados.

I took the team for a spin with my edits and I won four lost one so I guess results are the best evidence.

Last edited:
I'm unconvinced by that Scizor build. It just gives up all the momentum you've fought to build, especially if you take your own hazards off. Better yet with Landorus, Hawlucha, Rotom and a Sash, I'm not convinced this team cares enough about webs to justify it. You could go SD Scizor, but I'd probably just go for another sweeper as you're a little easy to just stop, maybe Calm Mind Mega Latios to keep the webs-resistant theme?

Also:

+2 252+ Atk Hawlucha Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Zapdos: 322-380 (84 - 99.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Use Stone Edge. Please.
Okay thanks for the feedback! I'm still learning the meta, so I'll try your edits and see how they work for the team! Thanks again!

Excadrill is a generally better SR setter but if you are keen to use Infernape due to personal reasons, a physical Iron Fist may be more effective:

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Punch

This set also utilizes Taunt, which combined with your lack of hazard removal could be more useful (I know Scizor has Defog, I'll get to that). Fire Punch can deal solid damage to Landorus-T as well, unfortunaty taking damage from Rocky Helmet. Thunder Punch is very useful on Infernape, covering two obvious weaknesses. Jolly is prefered over Adamant to ensure that Infernape will outspeed the opposing lead for Taunt.

Scizor has an interesting set, but I think that it would be better used as a defensive setup sweeper. The damage output is limited but it would be more useful as there are plenty of good pivots that to more than just U-turn, such as Tsareena with Aromathearapy. While Defog does set Scizor appart, Infernape can prevent hazards while keeping its own. Maybe try this set:

Scizor @ Scizorite
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

More attack EVs allow it to have a little more output and makes the Swords Dances more meaningful. The set is the classic sweeping set and can pivot effectively while also having use as another sweeper.

For Hawlucha, the Electric Seed can be replaced by a Flying Gem. IMO the stage of defense is unimportant but extra power on the Acrobatics could mean the difference between win an and loss. Also,"Use Stone Edge. Please." The power increase is quite necessary. 80 accuracy is sort of mediocre or maybe not even that, but the power is really needed to quickly deal with threats such as Zapados.

I took the team for a spin with my edits and I won four lost one so I guess results are the best evidence.

I’m pretty skeptical about the effectiveness of Flying Gem over Electric Seed. Aside from the Defense boost - which is more helpful than you seem to think, allowing easier setup against stuff like Bisharp while also assisting against opposing non-Ninja priority up to and including Mega Pinsir’s Quick Attack - this change makes it so that Unburden doesn’t activate until your first Acrobatics, which allows various mons that would otherwise be destroyed immediately to switch in on a Swords Dance, outspeed, and heavily damage or even outright KO before you can strike back. Even if you would try something like a suboptimal max-Speed set instead of the regular spread to go with Flying Gem, stuff like a weakened Koko and Scarf Latios would still be far more threatening than they would be for Seed sets, on top of an even greater priority weakness. I don’t think that the benefits of boosting a move for one single turn outweigh all those negatives.

Diophantine

Banned deucer.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Punch

Scizor @ Scizorite
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

Hey man, I like the ideas here. I'd change some stuff though.

Let's keep the idea of Volt-Turn + Hawlucha. Your gameplan is to break down anything that would stop Hawlucha from sweeping by Volt-Turning into heavy hitters (wall breakers). First we decide on our Hawlucha set. I like this one:
Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Poison Jab / Stone Edge (for Tapu Koko or Zapdos)

Next we need our hazard setter and I like some sort of backbone here. Landorus and Magearna are perfect for this team. I'd go with these sets:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 24 SpD / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
The Magearna has Iron Head for offensive Magearna and HP Fire for Scizor or Ferrothorn.

Tapu Koko is another obvious pick:
Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam
Specs lets you break down Zapdos and it turns Celesteela into scrap metal.

The last two choices are down to your selection. These mons should be heavy hitters. I like Mega Medicham:
Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt/Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
Get rid of the Landorus ASAP and it's all gucci :)

I still think Mew is a bit of a problem. Scarfed or Specs Blacephelon is a great choice here.
Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf / Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Grass]
With the slashed options on all mons, test them out and see what you prefer :)

I hope this helped a bit. You don't have to do the exact changes, but I hope I gave you a good idea of what a good Volt-Turn Hawlucha team looks like.

It was my understanding that PokeBank blocked the transfer and deposit of items in-game?

Anyway, I agree with the suggested Excadrill > Infernape. Yes, you lose out on speed ties/ outpacing Chomp/Lando threats, but hey, let's be honest, power is everything in handling teams that can otherwise put a hard pause to your gained momentum and set up.

Hey man, I like the ideas here. I'd change some stuff though.

Let's keep the idea of Volt-Turn + Hawlucha. Your gameplan is to break down anything that would stop Hawlucha from sweeping by Volt-Turning into heavy hitters (wall breakers). First we decide on our Hawlucha set. I like this one:
Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Poison Jab / Stone Edge (for Tapu Koko or Zapdos)

Next we need our hazard setter and I like some sort of backbone here. Landorus and Magearna are perfect for this team. I'd go with these sets:
Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 180 Def / 24 SpD / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Volt Switch
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power [Fire]
The Magearna has Iron Head for offensive Magearna and HP Fire for Scizor or Ferrothorn.

Tapu Koko is another obvious pick:
Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dazzling Gleam
Specs lets you break down Zapdos and it turns Celesteela into scrap metal.

The last two choices are down to your selection. These mons should be heavy hitters. I like Mega Medicham:
Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- High Jump Kick
- Zen Headbutt/Thunder Punch
- Ice Punch
Get rid of the Landorus ASAP and it's all gucci :)

I still think Mew is a bit of a problem. Scarfed or Specs Blacephelon is a great choice here.
Blacephalon @ Choice Scarf / Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Grass]
With the slashed options on all mons, test them out and see what you prefer :)

I hope this helped a bit. You don't have to do the exact changes, but I hope I gave you a good idea of what a good Volt-Turn Hawlucha team looks like.
Damn. I like this :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)