Monotype Mono Water Team

So when making my first mono-type team, I decided to go with water because it only has 2 weaknesses that can be easily covered. I'm fairly new to mono-type, so any feedback is appreciated!

Greninja @ Focus Sash
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 0 SpA
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Slide
- Dark Pulse

So I started with a protean Greninja because it has a good diverse move pool and can be hard to counter play, especially in monotype. I went for an physical set because there are more attack options, such as Gunk Shot, which is a good fairy counter.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Sap Sipper
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Ice Punch

The reason I went with Azumarill instead of Tapu Fini is because Azumarill is a good wall for grass moves because of Sap Sipper. It is a great Pokemon to pivot into, especially if Swampert is threatened. It also has Aqua Jet, which is good to revenge kill sash Pokemon.

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rain Dance
- Earthquake
- Hammer Arm

This Pokemon is a good setup mon that like said above can pivot into Azumarill if threatened. I also have rain dance because I do not have a Drizzle mon and Swift Swim cannot only help itself but also Kingdra. It is also a good electric counter, even though most of my team is only hit neutrally by electric attacks.

Kingdra @ Dragonium Z
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Iron Head
- Return

If rain is activated, this Pokemon can setup and score a few KOs. The only thing that isn't good about this mon is that it is walled by steel types, but because its mono type if the opponent has no steel types or the ones there are have been KO'd, this Pokemon can get some good kills.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Fire Punch
- Zen Headbutt

So I originally had Rotom-Wash here, but I found the lack of grass moves to soon become a problem and went for a physical Ludicolo so I could keep the electric move but also have a stronger answer to mons like Quagsire without having to have HP Grass. It is also only neutrally hit by grass and electric, so it stands out from most water types in that regard.

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Earth Power

While Azumarill is my grass wall, Volcanion really works as my grass counter. It also has sludge bomb, so if Greninja faints, this mon can resist fairy attacks then counter them with a poison move. It is also choice specs so it can sometimes get some good sweeps.

Thanks for reading my thread and I am open for any feedback!

Hello! The first thing I notice here is a severe lack of Water STAB outside of Aqua Jet and Steam Eruption, so I would probably add a move like Iron Head -> Waterfall on Kingdra. Also, you seem to want a defensive Azumarill, but you are running Belly Drum, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Either pick defensive Azumarill with Sap Sipper or pick offensive Azumarill with Belly Drum (not both because the lack of Huge Power makes Azumarill weak even at +6). Another minor change I would suggest would be Focus Sash -> Life Orb on Greninja with a Naive nature (he'll appreciate the extra power). The other major change would be adding Pelipper to the team over Volcanion (although you could probably replace Ludicolo as well). The reason for this is you have 3 pokes that benefit from rain (Swampert, Kingdra and Ludicolo), so a secondary rain setter in case Swampert goes down early would help the team. Defog also helps clear hazards (esp. Sticky Webs) that can harm your team

Here's the team with my changes:
Greninja @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Slide
- Dark Pulse

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Defog / U-turn

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rain Dance
- Earthquake
- Hammer Arm

Kingdra @ Dragonium Z
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Return

Azumarill @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Perish Song

OR

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Fire Punch
- Zen Headbutt

OR

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Earth Power

Hope this helps a bit!

Hello! The first thing I notice here is a severe lack of Water STAB outside of Aqua Jet and Steam Eruption, so I would probably add a move like Iron Head -> Waterfall on Kingdra. Also, you seem to want a defensive Azumarill, but you are running Belly Drum, which doesn't make a lot of sense. Either pick defensive Azumarill with Sap Sipper or pick offensive Azumarill with Belly Drum (not both because the lack of Huge Power makes Azumarill weak even at +6). Another minor change I would suggest would be Focus Sash -> Life Orb on Greninja with a Naive nature (he'll appreciate the extra power). The other major change would be adding Pelipper to the team over Volcanion (although you could probably replace Ludicolo as well). The reason for this is you have 3 pokes that benefit from rain (Swampert, Kingdra and Ludicolo), so a secondary rain setter in case Swampert goes down early would help the team. Defog also helps clear hazards (esp. Sticky Webs) that can harm your team

Here's the team with my changes:
Greninja @ Life Orb
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Gunk Shot
- Rock Slide
- Dark Pulse

Pelipper @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Defog / U-turn

Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rain Dance
- Earthquake
- Hammer Arm

Kingdra @ Dragonium Z
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Return

Azumarill @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Protect
- Perish Song

OR

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Seed Bomb
- Fire Punch
- Zen Headbutt

OR

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Earth Power

Hope this helps a bit!

Thanks for the advice! I'll be sure to try it out.

If you're trying to make rain water, here are some suggestions:

Replace Ludicolo with Pelipper: Rain Water teams rely on having a Drizzle Pokemon to immediately activate rain, and Pelipper is the best Drizzle Pokemon available. It has a nice part Flying typing and perfect accuracy Hurricanes to let it check Mega Venusaur and Tapu Bulu, and it can also pivot out with U-turn. Ludicolo simply doesn't offer a lot as a Swift Swim abuser due to its mediocre offensive stats. If you need a Pelipper set, you can try this one:

Pelipper @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Defog / Ice Beam

Defog can work great if you need emergency hazard removal, but Ice Beam can let you nail Dragon types like Dragonite and Garchomp.

Make the Kingdra specially offensive: Since Kingdra is more potent as a special attacker due to its higher Special Attack stat and access to higher powered moves, a specially offensive set will be much better. For a set, you can go with this:

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor

Hydro Pump and Surf are insanely powerful STABs when boosted by Choice Specs and rain. Just remember that Hydro Pump is used for extreme wallbreaking, but Surf is used for consistency when Hydro Pump's power isn't needed.

On Mega Swampert, replace Rain Dance with Waterfall and Hammer Arm with Sludge Wave: Mega Swampert doesn't need Rain Dance now that you have Pelipper to summon the rain immediately. A powerful Water STAB is much more important. Sludge Wave is undeniably important coverage due to being able to OHKO Tapu Bulu, which is easily one of the largest threats to Water teams. For a set, you can go with this:

Ability: Torrent
EVs: 228 Atk / 28 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature / Hasty Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock

Run Choice Band Azumarill over Belly Drum Azumarill and make it Huge Power over Sap Sipper: While the idea of a Grass immunity is tempting, Azumarill is sacrificing too much power by not running Huge Power. Regarding the Choice Band, its immediate power is much more valuable for rain Water teams than Belly Drum, especially when it doesn't have the same team support seen on Fairy teams. For a set, try this:

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower

As a further note, the 164 Speed is used to outspeed uninvested Skarmory, which is a really nice target to hit with a Choice Banded rain boosted Waterfall. Superpower is more valuable coverage than Ice Punch due to being able to hit Ferrothorn, which is a major threat to rain Water teams.

Run Life Orb Greninja over Focus Sash Greninja: Greninja definitely appreciates the extra power offered by the Life Orb. Your moves could also use some rearranging, like this:

Greninja @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature / Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory / U-turn

Greninja absolutely needs Ice Beam for coverage, since it needs to be able to hit Landorus-Therian, Garchomp, Dragonite, and Hippowdon. Extrasensory is more important coverage than Rock Slide due to being able to hit Mega Venusaur and Toxapex. However, U-turn can also be ran if you want another pivoter.

Rain Water teams need a strong Z-move abuser, and there are 2 that work really well:

Replace Volcanion with either Manaphy or Gyarados: Volcanion will have a hard time getting off those Fire Blasts when it's under rain and their power will be reduced. Manaphy is capable of running the Waterium Z with Rain Dance to give itself a speed increase, and when combined with Tail Glow, it's capable of wallbreaking even more effectively. Gyarados can run the Flyinium Z with Bounce to check Mega Venusaur and Tapu Bulu, while also being a powerful setup sweeper with Dragon Dance. The sets should look something like this:

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie / Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Earthquake / Substitute / Taunt
- Dragon Dance

For the Manaphy, Rain Dance and Tail Glow are pretty self-explanatory, as is Surf. Psychic is used as the main coverage option in order to hit Mega Venusaur and Toxapex. While Energy Ball and Ice Beam aren't entirely terrible, Mega Venusaur is too important of a target to give up a powerful hit against. For the Gyarados, Moxie can be used to snowball easier, but Intimidate can be used for easier setup opportunities. Earthquake is nice coverage for hitting Toxapex and Tapu Koko. But Substitute can work as a means of avoiding statuses. Taunt can also prevent these statuses, while also being able to set up effectively against more passive Pokemon.

I hope these suggestions helped!

If you're trying to make rain water, here are some suggestions:

Replace Ludicolo with Pelipper: Rain Water teams rely on having a Drizzle Pokemon to immediately activate rain, and Pelipper is the best Drizzle Pokemon available. It has a nice part Flying typing and perfect accuracy Hurricanes to let it check Mega Venusaur and Tapu Bulu, and it can also pivot out with U-turn. Ludicolo simply doesn't offer a lot as a Swift Swim abuser due to its mediocre offensive stats. If you need a Pelipper set, you can try this one:

Pelipper @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Defog / Ice Beam

Defog can work great if you need emergency hazard removal, but Ice Beam can let you nail Dragon types like Dragonite and Garchomp.

Make the Kingdra specially offensive: Since Kingdra is more potent as a special attacker due to its higher Special Attack stat and access to higher powered moves, a specially offensive set will be much better. For a set, you can go with this:

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor

Hydro Pump and Surf are insanely powerful STABs when boosted by Choice Specs and rain. Just remember that Hydro Pump is used for extreme wallbreaking, but Surf is used for consistency when Hydro Pump's power isn't needed.

On Mega Swampert, replace Rain Dance with Waterfall and Hammer Arm with Sludge Wave: Mega Swampert doesn't need Rain Dance now that you have Pelipper to summon the rain immediately. A powerful Water STAB is much more important. Sludge Wave is undeniably important coverage due to being able to OHKO Tapu Bulu, which is easily one of the largest threats to Water teams. For a set, you can go with this:

Ability: Torrent
EVs: 228 Atk / 28 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature / Hasty Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock

Run Choice Band Azumarill over Belly Drum Azumarill and make it Huge Power over Sap Sipper: While the idea of a Grass immunity is tempting, Azumarill is sacrificing too much power by not running Huge Power. Regarding the Choice Band, its immediate power is much more valuable for rain Water teams than Belly Drum, especially when it doesn't have the same team support seen on Fairy teams. For a set, try this:

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower

As a further note, the 164 Speed is used to outspeed uninvested Skarmory, which is a really nice target to hit with a Choice Banded rain boosted Waterfall. Superpower is more valuable coverage than Ice Punch due to being able to hit Ferrothorn, which is a major threat to rain Water teams.

Run Life Orb Greninja over Focus Sash Greninja: Greninja definitely appreciates the extra power offered by the Life Orb. Your moves could also use some rearranging, like this:

Greninja @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature / Naive Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Gunk Shot
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory / U-turn

Greninja absolutely needs Ice Beam for coverage, since it needs to be able to hit Landorus-Therian, Garchomp, Dragonite, and Hippowdon. Extrasensory is more important coverage than Rock Slide due to being able to hit Mega Venusaur and Toxapex. However, U-turn can also be ran if you want another pivoter.

Rain Water teams need a strong Z-move abuser, and there are 2 that work really well:

Replace Volcanion with either Manaphy or Gyarados: Volcanion will have a hard time getting off those Fire Blasts when it's under rain and their power will be reduced. Manaphy is capable of running the Waterium Z with Rain Dance to give itself a speed increase, and when combined with Tail Glow, it's capable of wallbreaking even more effectively. Gyarados can run the Flyinium Z with Bounce to check Mega Venusaur and Tapu Bulu, while also being a powerful setup sweeper with Dragon Dance. The sets should look something like this:

Manaphy @ Waterium Z
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Psychic
- Rain Dance
- Tail Glow

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie / Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Earthquake / Substitute / Taunt
- Dragon Dance

For the Manaphy, Rain Dance and Tail Glow are pretty self-explanatory, as is Surf. Psychic is used as the main coverage option in order to hit Mega Venusaur and Toxapex. While Energy Ball and Ice Beam aren't entirely terrible, Mega Venusaur is too important of a target to give up a powerful hit against. For the Gyarados, Moxie can be used to snowball easier, but Intimidate can be used for easier setup opportunities. Earthquake is nice coverage for hitting Toxapex and Tapu Koko. But Substitute can work as a means of avoiding statuses. Taunt can also prevent these statuses, while also being able to set up effectively against more passive Pokemon.

I hope these suggestions helped!
Thanks for the advice, it really helped!

I agree with the notion to replace Volcanion. I mean, Water Absorb is a neat ability, but unnecessary for a water team. It won't be able to use its Fire moves properly with all the rain going on (unless you plan to stall out the rain, but what's the point?).

I'm no expert, but have you ever considered Lanturn? It has Volt Absorb which is another handy Electric immunity. It could be handy as a cleric which, since your team consist mostly of physical attackers, would be really nice to heal some burns. It can also help spread some Toxic around. Maybe something like...

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Scald
- Toxic
- Volt Switch

Lots of defense to try and protect it against Earthquake. If you plan on adding Gyarados to your team (per someone else's suggestion), you can try and volt switch (if the foe is slow) to him to avoid it, and he can switch back to Lanturn if you're expecting some Electricity, so they have some synergy that way.
It's just something to consider.

Also, I'm a huge supporter of Huge Power/Choice Band Azumarill over Belly Drum and/or Sap Sipper.

I'm a big fan of Gyarados for this team because when it comes to his 4x weakness, you can switch to Swampert who'll take care of it. Ground-type neutrality never hurts, and it only takes neutral damage to Grass (which helps if you're getting rid of SapSip Azu), not to mention Bounce right back onto them. If you're really that scared of Fairy types, you can give him Iron Head, and Crunch is pretty good for coverage (since only Greninja checks psychic/ghost rn).

Also, you might want to consider a different move instead of Ludicolo's Fire Punch (apologies if someone already mentioned this). Knock Off is my suggestion, because it makes Eviolite-users much easier to handle. If I can be honest, I'm a bigger fan of Special Atk. Ludicolo, especially since you already have so many physical attackers on your team, plus he'd be able to take advantage of Giga Drain to restore health. A stall Ludicolo isn't a bad idea either?

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Teeter Dance
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Not sure how good it is in current metagame but I remember it being fun to use in Gen6. Teeter Dance causes the opponent to become confused which A) helps damage if they choose to attack themselves B) gives you free turns if they can't move. Substitute makes you harder to kill, especially while confused. Leech Seed can pressure switches and help heal your team, and works great if the opponent is poisoned (which would work well with Lanturn).

Just want to be clear that I am no pro and anything I have written is not a "You should do this", but more of a "Here are things to consider". Good luck!

I agree with the notion to replace Volcanion. I mean, Water Absorb is a neat ability, but unnecessary for a water team. It won't be able to use its Fire moves properly with all the rain going on (unless you plan to stall out the rain, but what's the point?).

I'm no expert, but have you ever considered Lanturn? It has Volt Absorb which is another handy Electric immunity. It could be handy as a cleric which, since your team consist mostly of physical attackers, would be really nice to heal some burns. It can also help spread some Toxic around. Maybe something like...

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Heal Bell
- Scald
- Toxic
- Volt Switch

Lots of defense to try and protect it against Earthquake. If you plan on adding Gyarados to your team (per someone else's suggestion), you can try and volt switch (if the foe is slow) to him to avoid it, and he can switch back to Lanturn if you're expecting some Electricity, so they have some synergy that way.
It's just something to consider.

Also, I'm a huge supporter of Huge Power/Choice Band Azumarill over Belly Drum and/or Sap Sipper.

I'm a big fan of Gyarados for this team because when it comes to his 4x weakness, you can switch to Swampert who'll take care of it. Ground-type neutrality never hurts, and it only takes neutral damage to Grass (which helps if you're getting rid of SapSip Azu), not to mention Bounce right back onto them. If you're really that scared of Fairy types, you can give him Iron Head, and Crunch is pretty good for coverage (since only Greninja checks psychic/ghost rn).

Also, you might want to consider a different move instead of Ludicolo's Fire Punch (apologies if someone already mentioned this). Knock Off is my suggestion, because it makes Eviolite-users much easier to handle. If I can be honest, I'm a bigger fan of Special Atk. Ludicolo, especially since you already have so many physical attackers on your team, plus he'd be able to take advantage of Giga Drain to restore health. A stall Ludicolo isn't a bad idea either?

Ludicolo @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Teeter Dance
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Substitute

Not sure how good it is in current metagame but I remember it being fun to use in Gen6. Teeter Dance causes the opponent to become confused which A) helps damage if they choose to attack themselves B) gives you free turns if they can't move. Substitute makes you harder to kill, especially while confused. Leech Seed can pressure switches and help heal your team, and works great if the opponent is poisoned (which would work well with Lanturn).

Just want to be clear that I am no pro and anything I have written is not a "You should do this", but more of a "Here are things to consider". Good luck!
The main problem with Ludicolo is that it's generally plain awful for Water teams, and SS Water is more than content with Kingdra and Mega Swampert/Seismitoad as the only abusers. Sap Sipper Azu is just bad on any Water team that isn't stall, since SS Water benefits far more from its physical wallbreaking with Huge Power. Iron Head on Gyarados just isn't worth it at all, since Fairy teams commonly carry 4 Steel neutralities anyway, and all the Fairies that are hit by Iron Head are also hit by Greninja's Gunk Shot. Crunch is also really lackluster in comparison to Earthquake, since, as you mentioned, Greninja with Dark Pulse is on the team, and it shouldn't be compromising that final moveslot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)