Team Monotype Premier League III Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banner done by Acast
Welcome to the third Monotype Premier League! Modeled after the Smogon Premier League, Monotype is once again hosting a premier league in which the best players of our metagame battle for victory.

This thread may be used for any discussion about the tournament. Acast and I will be a little more lax on the rules in this thread but keep it classy. Don't do anything overly stupid.

Don't forget to join the Monotype Discord! There is a MPL channel for you to discuss in as well.

The metagames that have been selected for this year's Monotype Premier League are:
  • SM Monotype
  • SM Monotype
  • (Best of 3) SM Monotype
  • ORAS Monotype
  • ORAS Monotype
  • BW Monotype
  • BW Monotype
  • Monothreat
The managers and teams for this year's Monotype Premier League are:

Rules:

All battles must be played on the main Pokemon Showdown server or on the Smogon Tournaments server. Any battles played on any other server will not count. No exceptions.

League Stages:
Following the Draft, the MPL will commence. The League Stages will consist of a Round Robin format between each team. Each stage will last for 1 week (Monday-Sunday). We are playing 8 matches each round, so there there is the possibility for ties.

Playoffs:
The 4 teams with the best record will be seeded into a "bracket style" playoff. The #1 seed will play the #4 seed, and the #2 seed will play the #3 seed. The victors of these matches will advance to the finals match. The winning team of this match will be declared the ultimate victors of the Monotype Premier League.

In the event of a tie for a playoff spot the winner of the head-to-head matchup will be given the spot. If there is a 3 way tie, which can not be resolved using head-to-head matchups, then the team(s) with the most total wins throughout the MPL will be given the spot. This emphasizes the importance of playing all your battles to the best of your ability. That one win you get for your team in an overall losing week may make the difference in whether your team makes the playoffs. If that doesn't break the tie, then the managers will battle for it in a standard Monotype Bo3.

1. Substitutes – At any point in time during the week, a team may make a substitution for an inactive player. In order to do this a manager must PM a host saying which player is substituting out, and which player is substituting in. A player that has substituted out for a week cannot be substituted back in. In addition, in order to catch any attempts at garnering favorable matchups, all substitutions are subject to veto by the host if the substitution is suspected to be attempting to “game” the system.

2. Pre-Week Battling – Because there is a set schedule generated at the beginning of the season, it is possible to accurately guess what players you will be facing in any given week. However, because the next week’s rosters are not set in stone until the day before the next week, there is no telling what a manager will do with regards to who they slot in one spot… especially if they have more than one player in any given tier. Asking to battle early for future weeks is essentially asking the opposing manager to short themselves options and forces them to make their roster early, perhaps without all of the knowledge they might have gleaned over the course of the week. Due to this, battling early for future weeks is not allowed. Do not ask to battle early for a future week. You will be denied. No exceptions. This is what you have substitutes for.

3. Trades – Teams may trade players with each other at any point during the regular season. In order to complete a trade, both involved managers must submit a PM to the host detailing which player(s) on their team they are trading away, as well as which players they are receiving as compensation. Trades are finalized at the end of the week they are conducted in. In addition, due to potential conflicts of interest, any players involved in trades must be substituted out of the week they’re involved in a trade. For example, if it’s Week 3 and Bushtush is scheduled to play Shadestep, but Bushtush's team wishes to trade Bushtush away for someone new, Bushtush must be substituted out for another player. Bushtush is valid for slotting into the roster of his new team at the beginning of Week 4.

4. There will be no trades allowed following the conclusion of Week 3. Trades become finalized with host approval; managers may bring up a trade for veto within 24 hours of the trade being made and the hosts will review the trade and re-finalize or veto the trade.

5. Activity decisions – There are inevitably times where two players simply fail to complete a match; however, the nature of the tournament system sometimes makes it advantageous to purposely fail to play (such as when a team is up 3-2 in a week). Because of this, it is necessary to make activity decisions on matches. Hosts are required to make thorough investigations regarding each and every potential failed match during a week. If both parties are deemed to be equally apathetic or enthusiastic about getting the match done, but just have not had the opportunity to make it happen, the match will result in a no contest. However, if it is deemed that one party made significantly more effort than the other in attempting to get the match done, then a win will be awarded to that player. Things that will make it very likely that you will lose via activity include: failing to VM your opponent immediately upon the week’s start, scheduling a match and being documented as missing the match time, failing to provide any concrete times for which you can be reached, failing to respond to an opponent’s VM at all. Note that this is a tournament that requires a very high level of activity and diligence, if you don’t think you can get your matches done, quite simply don’t sign up.

6. Rule Breaking – There is no excuse for breaking any of the predetermined rules. If you are caught breaking a rule, you will lose your match. There is no lenience with regards to this. Break a rule, you lose. Period.

7. Reversing Rulings - No ruling will be retroactively overturned once the week following the week that the ruling has been made has ended. This includes: activity rulings / rulings based on rule breaking / anything else under the sun. We're not going back in time to reevaluate every single decision made throughout the tournament on Week 5 because you think you were gypped 1-2 wins along the way and now they're the difference between you and a playoff spot. Any appeals to a ruling must be made during the week that the ruling is made; beyond that, all rulings are final once the week ends.

Last edited:

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus
The managers and teams for this year's Monotype Premier League are:
  • Acast and Bondie - Bloom Doom Glooms
  • Omega-Xis and Dirpz - Mauville Memers
  • Azelea and Zarif - Blackthorn Bucks
  • Misaka Mikoto and Balto - Petalburg Porygons
  • Arifeen and Lax - Amber Aeros
  • 1 True Lycan and Sabella - Hearthome Honchkrows
  • Anttya and Ticktick - Littleroot Lotads
  • Paleo and Yaksok - Meteor Falls Miniors
And they said WoA doesn't control this tier...

Shadestep

volition immanent
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
attention to all managers! Mr. Snakestep here. Me and my assistant-detectives Chras and TheThorn have held Co-Manager Zarif , of the Blackthorn Bucks hostage for about 12 hours now. We've tortured him, played psychotic mind-games with him, but the man wouldn't start talking. After water-boarding Zarif for about 30 minutes, he finally gave in. I present to you, The Blackthorn Bucks' Finalized Draft plan:

Screenshot_518.png

but, managers.. there is more. Follow this thread closely as I will, during the time in between Player Sign-ups, and the Final Draft, will keep dropping hints regarding the Blackthorns. Stay tuned.

Shadestep

volition immanent
Wow.. turns out torturing really does work! hehe. Good job boys. After some more investigation, our special forces from our HQ in Bang**desh (name has to be kept a secret for obvious reasons), we located down Amber Aero's manager Arifeen and targeted his straw hut. Here is a picture of his home, for future reference, and just to give a good visual of what we're dealing with here.
Screenshot_103.png

Left to Right: Kingler12345 , Arifeen , rozes

I will have more information regarding Arifeen's draft plan and more leaks coming later, somewhere today or tomorrow. Stay tuned.

Shadestep

volition immanent
#LastTeamStanding
WoA has infiltrated all teams except the Glooms. We are the resistance. Bondie
The resistance must be neutralized. In order for this to happen, the Bloom Doom Glooms 'mastermind' of a manager, Acast, has been seduced to leaking his secret Draft Plan. After forcing him to watch some awful replays and unwillingly having Acast talk to Alliance - Dethroner for 23 minutes straight, he finally decided to give in. Thus, I present you, the masterplan of Acast and Bondie :
Screenshot_102.png

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
Disclaimer: Sever was gonna shut down so we had to end it

Good evening, idiots. I have the logs for the FIRST ever Mono PL Mock Draft, more will come in the future.

Bloom Doom Glooms:
[Money: 0 | Bidders: acast] Players: iExca, Zukushiku, jets, jiggle, Croven, Sae Sae, p2, mr toenail

Mauville Memers: [Money: 22500 | Bidders: dirpz, ridley] Players: Eien, TheThorn, rumor, Ridley, Catalystic

Blackthorn Bucks: [Money: 8500 | Bidders: xazelea, zarif] Players: Shadestep, Hmy, TheAce22, average fella, Lax, KittenGaming

Petalburg Porygons: [Money: 28000 | Bidders: misakamikoto, balto] Players: KevinELF, wanka, rnbs, Megazard

Amber Aeros: [Money: 4500 | Bidders: laxuy, arifeen, arifeen] Players: rozes, jeran, iVid, -Tsunami-, Feliburn, iGlack, Paleo

Hearthome Honchkrows: [Money: 0 | Bidders: 1truelycan, sabella, endal, tko, iexca] Players: tko, terrors, Attribute, Pak, izaya2, Dak Prescott, ArkenCiel, Ssalbap

Littleroot Lotads: [Money: 15500 | Bidders: ticken, anttya] Players: Seager, Balto, juleocesar

Meteor Falls Miniors: [Money: 24500 | Bidders: paleo, ssalbap] Players: Endal, Anttya, Ticken, Miyoka
Eien purchased by Mauville Memers for 30000
KevinELF purchased by Petalburg Porygons for 8500
Shadestep purchased by Blackthorn Bucks for 12000
wanka purchased by Petalburg Porygons for 32000
iExca purchased by Bloom Doom Glooms for 40000
tko purchased by Hearthome Honchkrows for 3000
Zukushiku purchased by Bloom Doom Glooms for 35000
Endal purchased by Meteor Falls Miniors for 27000
Anttya purchased by Meteor Falls Miniors for 23500
Seager purchased by Littleroot Lotads for 50000
Balto purchased by Littleroot Lotads for 31500
rozes purchased by Amber Aeros for 22000
Hmy purchased by Blackthorn Bucks for 20000
jets purchased by Bloom Doom Glooms for 9000
TheAce22 purchased by Blackthorn Bucks for 50000
jeran purchased by Amber Aeros for 4500
iVid purchased by Amber Aeros for 20000
TheThorn purchased by Mauville Memers for 20000
terrors purchased by Hearthome Honchkrows for 13000
Attribute purchased by Hearthome Honchkrows for 17500
Pak purchased by Hearthome Honchkrows for 15000
izaya2 purchased by Hearthome Honchkrows for 7500
rumor purchased by Mauville Memers for 5000
-Tsunami- purchased by Amber Aeros for 17000
Dak Prescott purchased by Hearthome Honchkrows for 20000
average fella purchased by Blackthorn Bucks for 5500
rnbs purchased by Petalburg Porygons for 20000
Feliburn purchased by Amber Aeros for 11500
jiggle purchased by Bloom Doom Glooms for 4000
Ridley purchased by Mauville Memers for 16500
Croven purchased by Bloom Doom Glooms for 9500
Sae Sae purchased by Bloom Doom Glooms for 15000
Megazard purchased by Petalburg Porygons for 11500
ArkenCiel purchased by Hearthome Honchkrows for 7000
Lax purchased by Blackthorn Bucks for 13000
KittenGaming purchased by Blackthorn Bucks for 11000
iGlack purchased by Amber Aeros for 3000
Ssalbap purchased by Hearthome Honchkrows for 17000
Ticken purchased by Meteor Falls Miniors for 18000
juleocesar purchased by Littleroot Lotads for 15000
Paleo purchased by Amber Aeros for 17500
p2 purchased by Bloom Doom Glooms for 11500
Catalystic purchased by Mauville Memers for 6000
mr toenail purchased by Bloom Doom Glooms for 6000
Miyoka purchased by Meteor Falls Miniors for 7000
As you can see, our top notch managers used their resources wisely and effectively to produce high quality teams. The most efficient, consistent, powerful players have been selected and I fully expect 100% of them to be drafted in the upcoming draft (2 weeks from now on the weekend some time). Take this draft seriously. If you were not selected you should probably try joining the Monotype Premier League Farm League.

ps: fuck you Zarif for not letting me be on my own team

edit: nvm this was a disaster all of these managers are incompetent only 1 team is actually complete

Last edited:

Zar

What a time
is a Contributor Alumnus
SM Monotype : TheAce22
SM Monotype : Average Fella
(Best of 3) SM Monotype : Kitten Gaming
ORAS Monotype : Me (i ran out of players lol!)
ORAS Monotype : Azelea (ran out of players again)
BW Monotype : Hmy
BW Monotype : Shadestep
Monothreat : Lax

Lax said:
iExca purchased by Bloom Doom Glooms for 40000
Zukushiku purchased by Bloom Doom Glooms for 35000
jets purchased by Bloom Doom Glooms for 9000
jiggle purchased by Bloom Doom Glooms for 4000
Croven purchased by Bloom Doom Glooms for 9500
Sae Sae purchased by Bloom Doom Glooms for 15000
p2 purchased by Bloom Doom Glooms for 11500
mr toenail purchased by Bloom Doom Glooms for 6000
Now I'm no math major but something's not adding up here...

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
I deeply apologize but this is my actual dream lineup, I'm not actually getting anyone from the mock draft lmao.
SM1: jeran
SM2: Dream Eater Gengar
ORAS1: Quantum Tesseract
ORAS2: Fardin(AG)
BW1: Chloe
BW2: Megazard
SM Bo3: Thimo

Shadestep

volition immanent
Do you HAVE to play in a team? Just wanna know...
Also, can I just make a team myself?
You can sign up in the player signup thread, and tryout for a team to try and get drafted. If you don't get drafted you can't play in this tour.
yeah, be sure to start a forum conversation with Zarif showing off some recent replays of you beating solid players, imports of your best squads, and your former achievement, which should be your ticket into The Blackthorn Bucks.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Sorry to distract from some amazing posts but are the tiers already set/can we do something about bo3 mono? It's already a team tournament, what's the point in making one slot 3 games? It's not a tradition thing since last MPL had a bunch of OMs instead, it's just a way to make one person prep two more teams, and it's incredibly weird to see. The only precedent I can think of is RBY in SPL which is supposed to be bc less competitive or something, but it's not like bo3 eliminates team matchup dynamics and all the other non-monothreat slots don't seem to care about the issue so is there any reason other than "3 bo1 sm mono slots sounded boring"?

lax

cloutimus maximus
RBTT Champion
Sorry to distract from some amazing posts but are the tiers already set/can we do something about bo3 mono? It's already a team tournament, what's the point in making one slot 3 games? It's not a tradition thing since last MPL had a bunch of OMs instead, it's just a way to make one person prep two more teams, and it's incredibly weird to see. The only precedent I can think of is RBY in SPL which is supposed to be bc less competitive or something, but it's not like bo3 eliminates team matchup dynamics and all the other non-monothreat slots don't seem to care about the issue so is there any reason other than "3 bo1 sm mono slots sounded boring"?
There are many reasons other than it was less boring. In fact, there was a heavy majority over just 3 SM so if managers are still confused then I don't know what to say about that.
Anyways, we decided to go Bo3 SM because we needed more of the new gen than the old gen anyways and it seemed like a fun idea. Highlight games between the two considered best players from each respective team is something I'd assume people would really look forward to. It brings something new to the table that we never really tried before. Bo3 is also considered somewhat iconic for Monotype because there is a less chance of getting screwed in either match-up or hax and makes the game more competitive. Guessing what types people will use in a bo3 is pretty challenging as well and interesting as well. Player 1 could bring types against Player 2's "main types" but Player 2 could expect that and prepare for that. It's just meant as a fun to watch highlight match.
Regarding why we don't have OMs: OMs in the OM Monotype simply made the game even more match-up based and thus less competitive. Considering I only played OMs in MPL before I am sad to see them go but I think it's for the better and we'll have a more competitive atmosphere from removing them.
If anyone has any other rules regarding guidelines please ask the Managers or Hosts preferrably in PMs because I can assure everyone we had a huge discussion about everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)