Resource Monotype Sample Teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mattapod

bad clarinet music
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Decem with all due respect I used this team to break top 50 on the ladder.. and I regularly beat opposing water teams that carry toxapex and greninja. Having two rain setters prevents the team from falling flat if one gets KOd. Also with damp rock banned it really makes a big difference. Defensive Pelipper is way too passive, gets no KOs and gets beat by so many things, your switch becomes too obvious. I didnt just crap this team out, I honed it over hundreds of battles. This should be about what works to win battles in the meta, not what pokemon are cool or popular.

Decem with all due respect I used this team to break top 50 on the ladder.. and I regularly beat opposing water teams that carry toxapex and greninja. Having two rain setters prevents the team from falling flat if one gets KOd. Also with damp rock banned it really makes a big difference. Defensive Pelipper is way too passive, gets no KOs and gets beat by so many things, your switch becomes too obvious. I didnt just crap this team out, I honed it over hundreds of battles. This should be about what works to win battles in the meta, not what pokemon are cool or popular.
I'm just going to write down a couple of things on both your team and Decem's decision:

1. How well or how bad your water team does against other water teams with Greninja and Toxapex is no justification for how good or how bad either is.

2. Double rain setting isn't bad, but Politoed is a very lackluster mon. Eject button would probably be its best item because you can just sack it or switch into it for instant rain and a switch out. Even when running a Sp. Def variant, you should at least be running Whirlpool. Perish song on its own (like you have) doesn't offer much. At most you force something to switch in 2 turns, just so that same mon can be problematic later on again. When going for Double Rain, a manual setter like Manaphy is much preferred for various amounts of reasons. It can choose between Z-Rain Dance and Z-Surf for a nuke, gets tail glow and also absorbs all status your opponent might want to throw to you. On top of getting Psychic coverage for M-Venu and Toxapex. It seems needless to use Politoed at all.

3. I'm not a fan of Defensive Pelipper sets and I much prefer Scarf or Specs. But on your team defensive isn't bad, given Politoed is defensive too and you can at least have a slightly defensive core. However, since it's specs, let me just add this: it's no bueno running no speed on this thing. Running at least 219 speed is nice to outspeed -1 banded victini, jolly azumarill, ... allowing you to KO them without taking a hit first. You're even slower than Skarmory (free Rocks or Defog) and Venu.

4. Running no speed on Swampert is also extremely odd. You don't even outspeed Greninja and Koko with rain up who tend to carry Grass Knot at times. Outspeeding up to Zeraora would seem like a minimum. If you want to use a more defensive M-Swampert instead, you shouldn't have that much attack investment.

5. Azumarill also should have a minimum of speed. 218 if you wanna tie opposing Azumarills or at least enough to outspeed mons like Skarmory, no speed Venu, ... Band Azumarill is lackluster on Water teams because of its item. It hates being locked into one move. In fact, banded Crawdaunt probably does everything it does better besides switching in on Dragon moves.

6. Kingdra sample would always run Timid for opposing Kingdra's, especially since your own team has no switchin into it. Other than that it's fine. Maybe Surf or D Pulse > Scald though.

7. Seismitoad is cool and pretty underrated on water teams, but you have little reason to run double Rocks. Perhaps give this mon HP Electric so it can hit the not-so-common Mantine, so it can hit Gyarados and Pelipper on opposing rain teams.

8. As far as Toxapex is concerned, I actually agree with you. I don't think it's needed on true HO Rain teams at all. Even if it can support with spunging hits and dropping T Spikes. However, there's one insanely good reason to run it, and that's Bulu. Sludge Bomb Toxapex is your only "safe" ticket to a sub Bulu and other forms of Bulu can hit through your team regardless. You're right if you think you can use your team on ladder perfectly fine without Toxapex. You're so right. Because I ran similar teams. But in terms of what defines the meta, it's crucial rain teams have a mon like this or the new users will not know what hit them when they lose 6-0 to a sub bulu.

9. As far as Greninja is concerned: I do think it should be on every water (rain) team. It just offers too much. It can be scarf with amazing coverage or expert belt or even Z. It can compress versatility onto one mon that your other mons can't compress on 2-3 mons. The easiest way of looking at how good and essential it is, is just using it.

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Rain teams don’t need double rain setters because it’s much better to stick to one and offer more flexibility to the rest of the team, for example, Greninja could be good over Politoed on the team you posted, while Politoed itself is pretty awful and inferior to Pelipper as a rain setter. The rest of the team is a bit odd too, with double Stealth Rock not being needed and Waterium Kingdra to name a few. I’m glad you’re having success with the team, but you have to keep in mind that sample teams are meant for newer players to use to experiment the meta with and can also be used as a base, while getting high on ladder is doable with many different teams and doesn’t mean a team is necessarily good or sample worthy. We typically prefer samples to be more or less an accurate representation of the archetype, and Tapo Collino’s rain team is fine for that, so we’ll be using his. It works, it’s easy to pilot and understand, and it’s an accurate representation of what rain teams look like. Feel free to pm me on discord Decem#8776 if you wish to talk more about your team but don’t let this stop you from contributing to the thread.

roxie

https://www.youtube.com/@noxiousroxie
is a Tutoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I dont think people run defensive pelipper a lot, ...As you said this should be about what works to win battles in the meta I can simply show my team and that doesn't make it sample quality, I see plentiful of mons having great potential along with sets and I dont think your team is that bad, idk about relying on knock off for normal, basically not running keldeo or empoleon which is usually on like balanced/defensive water, but ye...

Offensive no mega dragon

:sm/garchomp: :sm/latios: :sm/kyurem-black::sm/dragalge: :sm/kommo-o::sm/dragonite:

No mega dragon is pretty good right now So I wanted to offer one up.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Trick
- Defog

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

Dragalge @ Dragon Fang
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Toxic Spikes

Kommo-o @ Kommonium Z
Ability: Soundproof
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower
- Drain Punch
- Taunt

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch
- Superpower

garchomp is a staple on dragon teams as the rock setter and an overall fast hard hitting physical attacker with stone edge+eq coverage and swords dance vs defensive mons

Latios serves as your speed control as scarf base 110's are hard to outspeed even with your own scarfer, also is the teams defogger which is crucial for dragon.

Kyurem-black is an amazing pokemon with good coverage in fusion bolt+ice beam and overall strong stats with good bulk. also terravolt is a really strong ability vs things like mimikyu and volt absorb/thick fat pokemon.

Dragalge takes fairy moves nuetrally which helps, also being able to set up Toxic spikes is absolutely huge and gives you a reasonable shot vs fairy and types like normal that suffer when toxiced.

Kommo-o Is simply a fantastic mon and definitely the best z move user dragon has, getting an omniboost after firing off an extremely powerful z move let's it run over some defensive cores with taunt+drain punch and it has flamethrower for coverage.

Dragonite is the main physical attacker and extremely strong banded extremespeed to revenge kill/priority sweep when mons are low (tspikes can help with this) his other moves being fire punch and super power for coverage and outrage for extrmely strong STAB

Overall this team has a lot of good matchups and is pretty strong

also changes for a few samples imo

Metagross Psychic - Harpp
I think this celebi should either be grass knot or have enough spa to ohko mega sharpedo after rocks without it being a roll, it may be slightly in your favor but it's still a roll that is literally win or lose
0 SpA Celebi Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sharpedo-Mega: 230-272 (81.8 - 96.7%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
64 SpA Celebi Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sharpedo-Mega: 246-290 (87.5 - 103.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
0 SpA Celebi Grass Knot (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Sharpedo-Mega: 306-360 (108.8 - 128.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Lastly
Perishpool Balance Water - GnralLao
Vincune Balance Water - Eien
I believe these 2 should probably be changed to sludge bomb toxapex to deal with the sub sd Tapu Bulu set that is common on fairy now.

Last edited:

mushamu

God jihyo
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Some teams we're looking for as samples (Attribute wasn’t interested in Water and Flying)

Mega Sharpedo Water
Tornadus-T Flying
Cradilyless Grass (with Decidueye)

Celebi @ Expert Belt
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psychic

Decidueye @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Long Reach
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Roost
- Swords Dance
- Spirit Shackle

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 44 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tailwind
- Knock Off
- Moonblast
- U-turn

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Def / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Sleep Powder

Breloom (M) @ Rockium Z
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed

Ferrothorn (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

sleep with chlorophyll on venu to have a chance vs zard y + loom would rather have stabs + rock move. Whimsicott for dark and dragon, evs are to take an espeed better from dnite. Celebi for steel mainly, useful vs poison as well, think celebi + deci gives you a decent chance vs poison even though its a dying type and standard ferro rounds out the team.

Dragonite @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed
- Outrage
- Fire Punch

Thundurus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Grass Knot

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fly
- Swords Dance
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake

Tornadus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 240 HP / 64 Def / 204 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Defog

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Leech Seed
- Heavy Slam
- Protect
- Flamethrower

I've used a bunch of DD dnite on this team with lum berry so thats interchangeable but for the sake of samples I'm using Choice band. Double taunt instead of double defog as my main hazard control. spdef steela to help with gren mainly. Set up lando is a huge threat to a bunch of types. Scarf thundy helps vs water as people have stopped using scarf gren and in the mirror. Fast volt switch always great too to get lando into a position to set up.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze

Greninja @ Icium Z
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Grass knot

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Secret Sword
- Substitute

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 68 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Toxic

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Defog
- Thunder Wave

Sharpedo @ Sharpedonite
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Substitute
- Protect
- Psychic Fangs

Defensive pert to take scarf excadrill on a bit better, scarf rotom as speed control w twave + fast volt switch which im always a fan of. Keldeo is sub to ease the dark mu and I opted for tspikes gren as pex wants scald to ease the steel mu. Gren's z is really a toss up between ice and grass, opted for icium to make the dragon mu better as it kos dnite and does around 60 to mega venu. Standard sharpedo.

Last edited:
Considering how similar this is to the current balance grass sample team, I could see this being rejected. Just wanted to put it out there because grass currently only has one approved sample team.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grassy Surge
Jolly Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Stone Edge
- Horn Leech

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 228 HP / 252 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Synthesis

Shroomy @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Spore

Decidueye @ Decidium Z
Ability: Long Reach
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spirit Shackle
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Roost/Pluck/Leaf Blade

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 164 Def / 88 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Gyro Ball
- Spikes

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Recover
- Rock Tomb
- Stealth Rock

Tapu Bulu: Standard scarf Bulu set, not much to say here. Superpower for Steel and Normal matchup, Horn Leech for STAB recovery and Wood Hammer for damage, Stone Edge for coverage vs Flying and Fire types. Nothing special or unique on this one.

Mega Venusaur: This is the standard Mega Venusuar set for Grass that everyone knows and loves. I personally run slightly more speed just to ensure I outspeed opposing Venusaurs who might be speed creeping as well, which is handy in mirrors and vs Poison. 16 speed investment is totally acceptable here as well.

Breloom: Essential in the Steel and Normal matchups, and always a threat with Focus Sash and Spore, Breloom is a must for most balance Grass teams. Technician Mach Punch is nice and all yadda yadda. Let's move on to the parts of the team that are different from the sample yeah?

Decidueye: I honestly started using Decidueye just because I wanted to be unique, and it turns out it's actually a beast. I'm not going to go crazy in depth here (check my VR post about Decidueye if you want that essay) but I will touch on a few things. The speed invest outspeeds Azumarill and -1 banded Victini, while the HP invest allows Decidueye to survive Kommo-o's Z move as well as Mega Gallade's Knock Off. It turns the Psychic matchup on its head, and helps a bunch with the Steel, Poison, Grass, Flying, and Ghost matchups. Rapid Spin immunity is a niche bonus, and Long Reach allows for it to hit Garchomp and Ferrothorn without fear. Spirit Shackle is a nice STAB move that can also trap foes like Toxapex or Celesteela, and Decidium Z blows them, along with a number of other problematic mons for Grass, away. I currently prefer Roost in the last moveslot as it provides important longevity in longer matchups, but Leaf Blade is an option if you want secondary STAB. Pluck is a niche option that is only used if you are seeing a lot of Alolan Muk and want to steal its berry. All in all a solid option that synergizes with the team well.

Cradily: This is also a standard set, but with one key difference: Rock Tomb over Rock Slide. While it may seem odd at first, it actually synergizes really well with Breloom and Decidueye. It can (somewhat) check Automatize Celesteela by forcing it to take extra turns to set up, and can slow down foes like Heatran, Mew, and Zapdos so that Breloom or Decidueye can claim a kill or force a switch. Rock Tomb still kills Volcarona and Mega Charizard Y in one shot, so I don't see a reason to run Rock Slide, especially with Rock Tomb's better accuracy.

Ferrothorn: Standard moveset here, but I prefer running a more physically defensive Ferrothorn to better check physical threats such as Excadrill that Venusaur struggles with. The 88 special defense investment allows Ferrothorn to to avoid the 2hko from Kyurem-Black's Ice Beam, and just adds some decent bulk on the special side.

mushamu

God jihyo
The Dragon team looks pretty good, I think having a megaless Dragon team is fine nowadays because of Dragon's mega evolution options being generally lackluster. I'd definitely do enough speed EVs on Dragalge to outspeed Celesteela since you're Thunderbolt, and it allows you to chip it down more. It also helps against things like Swampert and Clefable which is definitely worth. Also do Dragon Fang over Black Sludge, helps against stuff like Toxapex and Mega Sableye which is generally more useful here. Make these changes and I'll add it.

On the other changes, I don't think the Special Attack EVs are necessary on Celebi seeing as you keep Stealth Rock up against Water because of Rotom-W being the main Defog user and you have a lot of other things like Metagross's priority, Mega Slowbro, and Alakazam as backup vs Mega Sharpedo. I'll add the Sludge Bomb Toxapex though, definitely very important in Swords Dance Tapu Bulu meta.
These are all pretty good pending some minor changes. On the Flying, Z-Stone Edge seems like the better option over Z-Fly seeing as it lets you hit things like Rotom-W and Celesteela, while still being very threatening. On Water, I'd say Jolly Mega Sharpedo is good here for sure, you want to outspeed offensive Deoxys-S since that essentially smacks this entire team with a Nasty Plot under its belt, if it happens to set up on something else. Outspeeding +1 base 100s like Victini and Jirachi is also good. The Grass one is good. I'll add these pending the changes.
Looks like a decent team, but I think Chaitanya's and the current sample works fine for Grass. Rejected.

I'm not looking for anything in particular this time, as the generation is ending and I think what we have for samples is fine right now. Thanks to everyone that's contributed to this so far!

The Dragon team looks pretty good, I think having a megaless Dragon team is fine nowadays because of Dragon's mega evolution options being generally lackluster. I'd definitely do enough speed EVs on Dragalge to outspeed Celesteela since you're Thunderbolt, and it allows you to chip it down more. It also helps against things like Swampert and Clefable which is definitely worth. Also do Dragon Fang over Black Sludge, helps against stuff like Toxapex and Mega Sableye which is generally more useful here. Make these changes and I'll add it.

On the other changes, I don't think the Special Attack EVs are necessary on Celebi seeing as you keep Stealth Rock up against Water because of Rotom-W being the main Defog user and you have a lot of other things like Metagross's priority, Mega Slowbro, and Alakazam as backup vs Mega Sharpedo. I'll add the Sludge Bomb Toxapex though, definitely very important in Swords Dance Tapu Bulu meta.

These are all pretty good pending some minor changes. On the Flying, Z-Stone Edge seems like the better option over Z-Fly seeing as it lets you hit things like Rotom-W and Celesteela, while still being very threatening. On Water, I'd say Jolly Mega Sharpedo is good here for sure, you want to outspeed offensive Deoxys-S since that essentially smacks this entire team with a Nasty Plot under its belt, if it happens to set up on something else. Outspeeding +1 base 100s like Victini and Jirachi is also good. The Grass one is good. I'll add these pending the changes.

Looks like a decent team, but I think Chaitanya's and the current sample works fine for Grass. Rejected.

I'm not looking for anything in particular this time, as the generation is ending and I think what we have for samples is fine right now. Thanks to everyone that's contributed to this so far!
My change to Celebis SPA was to ohko after rocks.(check the calcs i posted) The current set is a 65% to ohko after rocks. I dont like having to use zams sash or all of slowbros hp on top of celebi to beat 1 mon. Because theres 5 more idk. Worth imo but =D you could also use gknot.
Changes made to the dragon team

Last edited:

Edge is worse as you already have enough celesteela counterplay and your electric mu is fine with whatever you use.
+2 252 Atk Landorus-Therian Supersonic Skystrike (175 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Rotom-Wash: 292-344 (96 - 113.1%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery
non boosted rock z doesn't kill after rocks so that trade is almost not ever worth it anyway
Fly is better vs ditto teams and other landos and just better overall bc of stab

Sub jolly mega shark completely nullifies the point of sub so either pick sub + ada or jolly + ice fang or something but sub jolly is awful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)