Moving to Showdown

Should we make game channels in Pokemon Showdown instead of IRC?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
but how many of us remember early games where we got placed on the mafia in a Big and get invited to that sacred secret mafia channel with The Squad and it felt like we were really scum and involved. we got to watch the pros on our team lead and plan and rage.
so much this. shoutout to the masons of #g6

god i have such mixed emotions about mm2

Since nobody has actually answered this, and I seem to be the only somewhat-active person here who's used PS!, I'm just going to throw this out there:

In most things, PS! has basically the same functionality as IRC, with two exceptions:

Logs. While you can still copy/paste logs on Showdown, afaik there is no convenient way to store logs without actively copypasting them, unlike most IRC clients which have an option to automatically record all logs.

Private(i.e. mafia factions) rooms. While Showdown has group chats, these disappear after (I think 6 hours?) if nobody talks in them, and require either a room mod or global voice to create them. (although, at any time when more than two mafia needed to discuss, they could easily start a battle and use that for that specific time) Really this shouldn't be a problem, the system is just a lot less flexible but there shouldn't be anything stopping faction discussion.

Other than those two(room flexibility and logs) PS has pretty much all the functionality of irc unless I'm somehow forgetting something big.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Since nobody has actually answered this, and I seem to be the only somewhat-active person here who's used PS!, I'm just going to throw this out there:

In most things, PS! has basically the same functionality as IRC, with two exceptions:

Logs. While you can still copy/paste logs on Showdown, afaik there is no convenient way to store logs without actively copypasting them, unlike most IRC clients which have an option to automatically record all logs.
PS's desktop client also supports logging.

Private(i.e. mafia factions) rooms. While Showdown has group chats, these disappear after (I think 6 hours?) if nobody talks in them, and require either a room mod or global voice to create them. (although, at any time when more than two mafia needed to discuss, they could easily start a battle and use that for that specific time) Really this shouldn't be a problem, the system is just a lot less flexible but there shouldn't be anything stopping faction discussion.
We're considering opening up groupchats to more people, but so far our main issue has been people using groupchats to coordinate harassment. Once we figure out a good solution, we'll try to open them up again.

Yeti

dark saturday
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
We're considering opening up groupchats to more people, but so far our main issue has been people using groupchats to coordinate harassment. Once we figure out a good solution, we'll try to open them up again.
idk how the access list works on PS but could you give a couple of our mods the ability to create groupchats? they could be in charge of that for the hosts since it's predominantly our badged users who host games and it'd be pretty unlikely they would create a chat to be douchebags or creepers since we'd just be there to mafia.

again idk if this messes with your mod/voice system in place or opens up creation the chats more than you want but it seems like letting circus mods/ccs be the ones able to create a chat might work? the host could just make them for the various factions as needed.

this is hilarious and something I want to see happen

as a completely tentative idea, we could try two pilot games between the two communities, one on PS and the other on IRC, and see which one we prefer by the end of it. just a general idea that seems right to me since no one wants to leave their medium of choice.

we used battle chats for games that had more than 2 people in a scum party before, so it works (just make sure to set modjoin w/ /modjoin so that random people cant join it). I'm also pretty sure that roomstaff can create groupchats, but im not sure if that will be relevant if PS is used.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
PS is a pain on mobile devices in a way that IRC isn't as much (I mean, if you want to use it for chatting), but if we were going to use 24/7 activity as a benchmark we'd probably still be playing on IRC right now so I anticipate the days of people standing on toilets to get reception to get and send in their actions are over (was that you DLE? it was someone in Raikage's pokémafia). That's my only real qualm about it, having to use potentially 2-3 different platforms (forum PMs/IRC/PS... Skype even) to find people. Then again I'm lazy and spend half my time in bed so aside from the multiplatform problems I'm probably exaggerating its problems, it definitely outweighs people having trouble using IRC (remember some people don't know how to copy/paste)

I really want to emphasise the importance of forum conversations in games going forward
hahaha that was a dark point in mafia you dont need to remind me of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)