Do you see a future for this thread?

• Hell yeah!

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • It's going to die quicker than my exploding azelf

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

cdbk

Banned deucer.
So in my short time here at smogon, i've noticed that a lot of users have a fine appreciation for music of all genres, from RnB to Rock. With the conception of this thread, my goal is to not only find new music to listen to, but to share my taste in music with the users of the website, by sharing my personal favourites, what I consider to be underrated and the songs that I just can't get out of my head.

So to start off the thread, i'd like to discuss the legend himself, David Bowie. I'll also be using this as an example, to show you what I mean if you didn't understand my proposal.
The song i'd like to discuss is the criminally underrated Aladdin Sane.

Don't really have to go into much detail, heck you can just write a one liner and i'm pretty sure we'll enjoy it.

This track has become a favourite of mine for a few reasons.

I want to talk about this song because it's one of my favourite underrated songs, so i thought i'd share it with everyone

The Album Artwork

Okay, let's get the obvious out the way (not really obvious, but y'know) - it's the image synonymous with the words David Bowie. Pop culture was shaken by that bolt across bowie's face due to the simple yet elegant design and as a child, it really portrayed my imagination perfectly. As a 7 year old, I was mesmerised by that Album Artwork - it was everything cool that a 7 year old wants - a cool image that made all the other kids awe in amazement, red because red was the shit back in the day and Bowie himself. Now, at the time, I didn't quite grasp that Bowie was a real person and not just a spaceman, so I would gleefully boast that I listened to spaceman music.

The Piano

The track features a beautiful piano accompaniment, constantly shifting in tone, capturing the attention of the audience with its hypnotic solos that sounds simple enough that nearly anyone could press a few keys to get it, but elegant enough to create a haunting theme with its complex articulation.

The song itself

It just sounds great, alright. I just like it, no reasons needed.

What do you guys think of it?

Anyways, hope you all enjoy this thread!

Don't be afraid to bring up a random song! It gives us a chance to listen to something new and something to potentially talk about

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Don Caballero
A band largely credited with the rise / creation of modern Math Rock as well as progressive rock. From 1991 to 2009 they were heavily innovating the post rock genre and each of their albums reflects that. Floating between a Three Piece and Four piece group, their stage presence and performances are very akin to modern Shoe-gaze as well despite not really pioneering much in the genre. Influencing bands like TTNG, Tera Melos, The Fall of Troy, Chon, ect, Don Cab secured themselves in music history by bending the mold, which they continued to do until they ended their legacy in 2009.

Recommended listens in order of priority -

The Chariot
An essential band for the Hardcore/Post Screamo fans. Rooted in 90s Christian hardcore, The Chariot ups the genre with intense math-eqse song structure while providing even more intense stage presence. Heavily credited with having the most intense stage performances (disregarding genres like Power Violence and Grindcore) the band was infamous for absurd stage destruction and crowed killing. To this day they remain as a heavily influence for stage presence and bridge structure. From 2003 to 2013 The Chariot held the monopoly on Christian Hardcore music. It's incredibly hard to listen to some of these tracks without nostalgic emotion overflowing anyone who grew up in the Hardcore/Post Rock scene. Long Live.

Recommended Listens in order of intenseness-

Marietta
I'll start by saying members of Marietta are good friends of mine, this however does not add bias to how they impacted the Emo-Revival of the 2010s. A band that captured the essence of 90s Emo / 2000s Post-Rock, Marietta mixed that essence with the "lowlife" aesthetic of trademark Philadelphia emo bands ( akin to Modern Baseball, Moma, Nicknames, ect). The band fronted a revival but was quickly overshadowed by more Emo-Pop bands like Modern Baseball and The Front Bottoms. Marietta however continued to stick to their guns, producing three incredible records that many do consider to be the records that defined the Emo-Revival.

Recommended Listening in Order of Genre Influence-

Park Jefferson
In the summer of 2008 , a tape (literal cassette) titled "Childhood" began to exchange hands. Park Jefferson's initial gift to the world of Twinkly/Post-Emo. Park Jefferson crafted the mold to what would solidify bands like Marietta, PUP, Moma, You Blew It!, and so much more iconic Post-Emo acts. With a single three-track Cassette history had been made, founding member Nick Stutsman would go on to front various Post-rock / Emo Revival outfits, such as Merchant Ships, Pianos become the Teeth, William Booney, and Midwest Pen Pals.

Recommended listening in order of Priority-

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)