SM OU My "Barely OU" OU Team

Greetings, Smogonites. Allow me to present my OU team that has only one actual OU pokemon on it! I'm just curious what other people think about it and want to get some feedback.

Oozey (Goodra) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Rest
- Fire Punch

Here we have a bulky, physical Goodra. I went with Earthquake and Fire Punch just for a good coverage combination and curse to boost attack and defense. Its got Sap Sipper to make it immune to Spore and Leech Seed. If only Goodra got Dragon Claw then I could actually have good STAB on this...

Draggie Chan (Kommo-o) (M) @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Clanging Scales
- Autotomize
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower

This is my bulky, special Draggie Chan with Clanging Scales, because duh, and Flamethrower and Flash Cannon for coverage. It also has Weakness Policy and Autotomize. My rationale for that was it has so many weaknesses, Weakness Policy would go off more often. Smart, aren't I?

Pex (Toxapex) (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Liquidation
- Recover
- Haze

The reason why this team is Barely OU. Just a normal Toxapex. Nothing too special, except for Liquidation instead of Scald.

Coopa (Togekiss) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Wish

I love this thing. Bulky Togekiss with Serene Slash and Thunder Wave. Scummy to the core.

VICTORY! (Victini) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

So this Victini. Scarf so that I can go fast without having to sacrifice Adamant and so that the speed drop from V-Create doesn't hurt too much. Bolt Strike and U-turn for coverage. About that Will-O-Wisp, I just really need to be able to burn things. Getting choice locked into it hasn't really bugged me too much.

Stitch (Sandslash) (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Rush
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Tail/Poison Jab
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin

Bulky Sandslash with Assault Vest. It can really catch Taunters off guard if they expect a max speed Stealth Rocks set. Its got Rapid Spin for for those stupid rocks and Iron Tail or Poison Jab for the Tapus.

And there it is. Any and all feedback will be appreciated

Right off the bat I'm noticing a weakness against Ice. Yes, I suppose you could argue that when faced with Ice, you can just switch to Toxapex, but what will you do when it's gone? Not to mention, BoltBeam is extremely common, so while Tox might be able to tank those Ice beams, it can just as easily be punished with a Thunderbolt to the face.
I'd also have to agree with vinny.gohi, if you really need to burn things (as you put it), it might be worth replacing Tox's Liquidation with Scald so you don't have to get Choice-locked into Will-o'-Wisp. You could replace that with Zen Headbutt instead and give it some STAB. Not to mention, you don't have any other psych moves, so that can be useful.
I'm not a big fan of Rest on Goodra because you're going to be stuck there for two turns doing nothing. A lot can happen in two turns - chances are, you'll have to rest again as soon as you wake up to repair the damages of your slumber. If you insist on going the physical route, why not Rock Slide? It'll definitely help stop Volcarona and ZardY. Or, you could use Dragon Tail - it's not Dragon Claw but it's still STAB - and stop setters in their tracks.

My final thoughts: If only one of your mons is OU, then why use this team in OU? I feel like this team will be threatened by much more powerful mons and won't be able to show the potential it might offer in UU or even RU. I think it might be best to forego Toxapex and take your team down a tier, but that's just me.

Deleted User 400951

Banned deucer.
^
In addition:
Two reasons, actually: Toxapex's Attack is slightly better than it's Special Attack so more damage, and rng never works in my favor
It's not going to be doing jack anyways, because Toxapex's attack stat is still crappy as hell. And RNG could potentially save you one day. It's worth the chance over barely any more damage at all.

Right off the bat I'm noticing a weakness against Ice. Yes, I suppose you could argue that when faced with Ice, you can just switch to Toxapex, but what will you do when it's gone? Not to mention, BoltBeam is extremely common, so while Tox might be able to tank those Ice beams, it can just as easily be punished with a Thunderbolt to the face.
I'd also have to agree with vinny.gohi, if you really need to burn things (as you put it), it might be worth replacing Tox's Liquidation with Scald so you don't have to get Choice-locked into Will-o'-Wisp. You could replace that with Zen Headbutt instead and give it some STAB. Not to mention, you don't have any other psych moves, so that can be useful.
I'm not a big fan of Rest on Goodra because you're going to be stuck there for two turns doing nothing. A lot can happen in two turns - chances are, you'll have to rest again as soon as you wake up to repair the damages of your slumber. If you insist on going the physical route, why not Rock Slide? It'll definitely help stop Volcarona and ZardY. Or, you could use Dragon Tail - it's not Dragon Claw but it's still STAB - and stop setters in their tracks.

My final thoughts: If only one of your mons is OU, then why use this team in OU? I feel like this team will be threatened by much more powerful mons and won't be able to show the potential it might offer in UU or even RU. I think it might be best to forego Toxapex and take your team down a tier, but that's just me.
Thanks for the real in depth analysis! There's a lot of stuff here that I'm definitely going to take into consideration. Toxapex is probably getting scald back and I'll have to try dragon tail on Goodra. To address your suggestion of dropping Pex and going down a tier, I find Toxapex a little too fun to use for me to do that, but thanks for the suggestion anyway! I actually have tried toxapexless variants in UU and RU but they're not as fun

Thanks for the real in depth analysis! There's a lot of stuff here that I'm definitely going to take into consideration. Toxapex is probably getting scald back and I'll have to try dragon tail on Goodra. To address your suggestion of dropping Pex and going down a tier, I find Toxapex a little too fun to use for me to do that, but thanks for the suggestion anyway! I actually have tried toxapexless variants in UU and RU but they're not as fun

Okay, what you've said makes sense. Toxapex is a really fun mon, I agree, so I've tried to find some replacements that might make your team a little more OU material.

Instead of Kommo-o...

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Drain Punch
- Iron Tail
- Fake Out

I realize it's not a perfect fit, but it has Fighting STAB like Kommo-o while also being able to net some recovery out of it. Kommo had Flash Cannon - Lopunny has Iron Tail. Not only that but because it's faster than Kommo, it might even get a chance to use it before the fairies KO it. Kommo had Flamethrower, Lopunny has Fire Punch. The only thing it's missing is the Dragon STAB Kommo had, but we'll get to that. Instead we have Fake Out to give it some priority and help it mega-evolve without issue.

Instead of Sandslash...

Dugtrio @ Assault Vest
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Body Slam
- Stone Edge

Like Sandslash, it's a pure ground type, but with a twist: Hello, Arena Trap. Dugtrio has the unique ability to trap its prey and Earthquake it to death, which is why these moles are OU and Sandslash is not. They're also much faster, but Sucker Punch is there for priority if they need it. Since you're hoping to spread paralyzing to help Togekiss do its work, Body Slam has a 30% chance to paralyze foes. Lastly, Stone Edge is there to hurt fire/flying types that aren't afraid of Earthquake.

Now you're probably thinking, what about Sandslash's Rapid Spin?

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Defog

Roost and Wish in the same set is redundant. Togekiss can use Wish to heal both itself and its teammates, Roost is a waste of a slot. On the other hand, Defog does everything Rapid Spin was able to do, and Toge is able to heal off its own weakness to the rocks fairly easily. I think Defog is definitely more useful than Roost is.

Finally, if you switch Kommo-O to Mega-Lopunny, you're losing a special attacker. There's an easy fix to that.

Goodra @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

I know you wanted a physical Goodra but the Special version is so much easier to work with. It has that Dragon STAB you wanted for it but couldn't get, Sludge Wave to hurt Fairies on the switch-in, and BoltBeam to wreck some havoc. You had fire coverage on the original version, but with Lopunny and Victini both carrying fire moves, I don't think you need it.

Even if you're opposed to it, try these changes at least once so you can figure out what works and what doesn't. Hopefully you can mix both these changes and your original choices to find the best of both. ^^ Let me know how it works, okay?

Okay, what you've said makes sense. Toxapex is a really fun mon, I agree, so I've tried to find some replacements that might make your team a little more OU material.

Instead of Kommo-o...

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Drain Punch
- Iron Tail
- Fake Out

I realize it's not a perfect fit, but it has Fighting STAB like Kommo-o while also being able to net some recovery out of it. Kommo had Flash Cannon - Lopunny has Iron Tail. Not only that but because it's faster than Kommo, it might even get a chance to use it before the fairies KO it. Kommo had Flamethrower, Lopunny has Fire Punch. The only thing it's missing is the Dragon STAB Kommo had, but we'll get to that. Instead we have Fake Out to give it some priority and help it mega-evolve without issue.

Instead of Sandslash...

Dugtrio @ Assault Vest
Ability: Arena Trap
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch
- Body Slam
- Stone Edge

Like Sandslash, it's a pure ground type, but with a twist: Hello, Arena Trap. Dugtrio has the unique ability to trap its prey and Earthquake it to death, which is why these moles are OU and Sandslash is not. They're also much faster, but Sucker Punch is there for priority if they need it. Since you're hoping to spread paralyzing to help Togekiss do its work, Body Slam has a 30% chance to paralyze foes. Lastly, Stone Edge is there to hurt fire/flying types that aren't afraid of Earthquake.

Now you're probably thinking, what about Sandslash's Rapid Spin?

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Wish
- Defog

Roost and Wish in the same set is redundant. Togekiss can use Wish to heal both itself and its teammates, Roost is a waste of a slot. On the other hand, Defog does everything Rapid Spin was able to do, and Toge is able to heal off its own weakness to the rocks fairly easily. I think Defog is definitely more useful than Roost is.

Finally, if you switch Kommo-O to Mega-Lopunny, you're losing a special attacker. There's an easy fix to that.

Goodra @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Sludge Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam

I know you wanted a physical Goodra but the Special version is so much easier to work with. It has that Dragon STAB you wanted for it but couldn't get, Sludge Wave to hurt Fairies on the switch-in, and BoltBeam to wreck some havoc. You had fire coverage on the original version, but with Lopunny and Victini both carrying fire moves, I don't think you need it.

Even if you're opposed to it, try these changes at least once so you can figure out what works and what doesn't. Hopefully you can mix both these changes and your original choices to find the best of both. ^^ Let me know how it works, okay?
You know what? I like those suggestions. They all seem like a lot of fun and probably way more successful than my current team. I'll definitely try those out, thanks so much!

You know what? I like those suggestions. They all seem like a lot of fun and probably way more successful than my current team. I'll definitely try those out, thanks so much!
Glad to help. ;) Feel free to tag me if you decide to re-post the team with some changes and I'd be glad to help you work through any issues.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)