SM OU My First OU Team! (Balanced offensive/defensive)

> The "Please Help Me I Forget How To Fight Competitively" Team

Introduction

So I'm getting back into the competitive scene after a few years and I decided to fiddle around with some Pokemon. I'd appreciate any advice and changes I could make to make this team better, thank you!

Teambuilding Process

My favorite thing is to throw some random pokemon together in a tier and try to make a decent team out of them. I haven't used Mega Lopunny competitively and decided to make a team with her and some other decent attackers and walls/stallers.

The Team

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Toxic
- Spikes
- Defog
I've always used Skarmory and to me, it's a great setter for a nasty spikes/toxic combo. A hazard support Skarmory makes use of it's high HP and DEF, hopefully being able to stall what comes it's way. Roost is to bring back that high HP if it goes down and Defog is used to get rid of hazards and to bring the opponents evasiveness down, letting my other members hit hard or stall.

Sableye (F) @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Knock Off
- Recover

Ah yes, an incredible typing for an incredible typing. Sableye is one of my favorite pokemon utility wise and Prankster let's it do that. Prankster will let Will-O-Wisp go first. I picked both Foul Play and Knock Off for two reasons. Foul Play can give heavy hitters a taste of their own medicine by using the opponents attack stat, while Knock Off takes off the opponents item and lets Sableye do some damage, especially towards Mega Alakazam. Once evolved into Mega Sableye, its ability Magic Bounce makes it perfect to bring out against other hazard setters. Recover is just to bring it's HP back up if it gets to low for my liking from pokemon that may be a hazard to it.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

A pretty basic setup for one of the best walls in the OU tier. Seismic Toss is to make sure that she can defend herself, plus it'll always do 100 HP of damage which is pretty nice. Not only is this her best attacking move but it can do damage on any pokemon and disregards all typings but ghost. Soft-Boiled is a reliable way to heal and Heal Bell helps heal other team members that don't have the time to be affected by status moves. Since I already have Skarmory for Steal Rocks, Chansey runs Toxic since you can never have too many Toxic users.

Keldeo @ Waterium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword

RIP Greninja. I've personally always liked Keldeo more. It's special attack and speed let it run a decent Calm Mind set to boost that special attack higher. Secret Sword is a must have and can help take out any normal or steel walls that I may run into. Hydro Pump and Scald are powerful water type moves, plus Scald has a chance to burn.

Mawile (F) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Ice Fang
- Iron Head
- Fire Fang

A fantastic wall breaker. She can use Iron Head to take out pesky fairy types that Lopunny and Keldeo would have trouble with. Play rough is a nice neutral cover and will hit hard with Huge Power. Ice and Fire Fang are used to hit types like grass, flying, and ground (which she could not deal with). Her HP will make sure she can stay in for a few rounds if she get's hit with a Will-O-Wisp from a wall she's trying to break down. There's not too much to this set honestly, I'd say it's a pretty basic attacker and staller.

Lopunny (F) @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Power Up Punch
- Ice Punch

To be a bit gushy for a moment, Lopunny has always been one of my favorite pokemon. Now that it has a mega, I'm so excited to use it in it's true power. With decent power and speed, it's one of the fastest pokemon in the OU game and I've always preferred speedy pokemon. Return is to make use of that maxed out friendship. High Jump Kick is a simple fighting move to use on threats like Heatran to avoid them sweeping my team or Ferrothorn to stop it from setting up. Power Up Punch boosts her already crazy-high attack and once I get one in I can take down opponents a bit easier. With Ice Punch, it can take down opponents like Landorus-T and hazards to her like Zapdos and other flying types.

Conclusion

I don't have too much to say quite frankly, I did a bit of research before this and I threw some pokemon together that I thought would work well together. Obviously I know there are flaws and this is by no means a perfect team, but I will gladly take any recommendations for better pokemon and the like! ^^​

Last edited:
Interesting team. Not sure how I feel about double mega, but hey, if it works, who am I to argue? One thing I will say is that you should use Ice Punch over Ice Fang for Mawile, as it's stronger, and that 10% flinch rate isn't worth it, especially given Mawile's slow speed.

Hey, this team is flawed but can be fixed. What it comes down to is offensive members being on what’s supposadly stall.

BBB4B9CA-A06B-4E32-9838-8DAC0E45EB5C.png
The first thing I’d suggest you do is put a specially defensive Jirachi. This will prevent Tapu Lele’s psyshock z move sets from 6-0ing this team, taunt would especially hurt you. This also brings wish support and stealth rock. It’s steel typing is also needed as all teams need a steel.

165A860C-C496-4736-A35C-73838BE8813D.png
Second thing I’d do is put a Zapdos over Skarmory. Skarmory isn’t too great anymore, even on stall, and Zapdos prevents SD and banded Kartana from 6-0ing you. It even brings a measure for taunt z move Tornadus, which can be annoying for stall if lacking Zapdos. It also brings pressure which is great for stall teams. The ground immunity is needed as well. Defog is also helpful.

2D97F8F0-96BC-4EEC-A3C7-469ED9B80B8D.png
The third suggestion I have is to remove Loppuny and put a Quagsire. This brings a measure for Heatran so it can’t 6-0 with the firium z magma storm set as well as stop boosting sweepers like Charizard X, Excadrill, and Garchomp from muscling through you. It also brings a much needed electric resist.

DF960B55-B9CD-426D-9404-874FBFE94B5B.png
The fourth and final change I’d suggest is remove Keldeo and put an Alolan Muk. It may seem weird but it checks some very problematic things like calm mind Blacephalon and Hoopa-U. It also serves as a backup check for Tapu Lele and brings knock off, a huge boon for stall teams.

I hope this helped.

Import: https://pokepast.es/78629bf3a017ca8

Last edited:
The 6 mons are pretty good by themselves, but I think the team lacks synergy. Even though M-sableye+chansey+skarmory are an amazing defensive core, I don't see much point in using 3 (three) megas in the same team (you are only allowed to Mega Evolve once per battle). If you choose to Mevolve Sableye (which I think although being the best nonmega between him, loppuny and mawile would be the best option since it forms the defensive core I've mentioned) loppuny and mawile would be very weak and slow. As you don't have priority or scarf and have only 3 defensive mons, I think it may loose to a vast of well built offensive teams. Gyarados with taunt or sub (which are very common btw) may devastate the team after a dragon dance if well played. If Mzardx have a chance to setup (in the weak nonmega) it can force you to sacrifice 2 of your mons at least if sableye inst full. Zygarde with sub can be pretty annoying also. The team has a lot of threats depending on which mon you choose to Mevolve basically. The team also lacks a Stealth rock user, which is almost necessary to have in the great majority of teams.

I don't know what kind of team do you want to make so it would be difficult to suggest something, but I think the best option would be build around Chansey, Msableye and Skarmory.

Chansey's set is already pretty good.
Skarmory : you really need to have counter or whirlwind, without them skarmory is helpless against bisharp and mgyarados, 2 things it is supposed to check unless you have other realiable counter
Sableye : its usuallt better to have protect on Msableye to mevolve at the beggining of the battle against tapu lele, but honestly a set without protect can work if the team is really well built. I'd suggest to replace foul play with protect.

The other would be well replaced with defensive mons (especially unaware users like clefable, quagsire and pyukumuku). But I don't think it would make much sense if I just throw 3 defensive mons to replace your original team. It wouldn't be a suggestion, it would be me making a team.

The most important suggestion I have is to you take a look at smogon sample teams https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/usm-ou-sample-teams-v2.3638845/ and try something there to get more used to the game.

Thank you so much guys! Not being in the scene has made me a bit forgetful on how it all works and I truely apprciate everyone replying! I'll be posting an update in the comments soon about it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)