Gen 1 My Gen 1 Team

Hello, smogon forums!! I am new to this site and i like playing Pokémon Showdown alot. Mainly on Gen 1 [OU], and since i like playing on Gen 1 [OU] alot, i'd like to think what you think of my team. Thank you!

Team:

Nessie (Lapras)
Ability: Water Absorb
- Blizzard
- Thunder
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic

Lapras is one of my favorite Gen 1 Pokémon, and i like using him on Showdown. It has a really good moveset which can take down alot of Pokémon, and he's pretty strong in general. I like it!

Rhydon
Ability: Lightning Rod
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Seismic Toss

I like using Rhydon against the legendary birds and grass and fire type pokemon. Articuno and Moltres are 4x weak against Rock Slide and Zapdos is 2x weak against Rock Slide, i like using it against electric type Pokémon, because everyone i battle has atleast a Pokémon with electric-type attacks or an electric-type Pokémon, so i use Earthquake on 'em. I think Rhydon is pretty strong.

Sparky (Jolteon)
Ability: Volt Absorb
- Pin Missile
- Thunder
- Thunder Wave
- Body Slam

I like using Jolteon against tough opponents, psychic types, water types, flying types, etc. He is pretty powerful, but Pin Missile really isn't good against Psychic types, and that's what i wanted him to be, a Pokémon that could take down Psychic types easily. So i want to know what would be a good moveset for Jolteon, or what would be a Pokémon that could replace him.

PSI (Alakazam)
Ability: Synchronize
- Recover
- Psychic
- Seismic Toss
- Substitute

I don't really know what to say, all i can say is, he is really good. I love Alakazam.

Gengar
Ability: Levitate
- Confuse Ray
- Dream Eater
- Hypnosis
- Psychic

Whenever my opponents send out a normal type Pokémon, i send out Gengar, just because of his immunity to Fighting and Normal Pokémon. I like confusing pokémon, putting them to sleep, and using dream eater and psychic alot, until they wake up. I think it's a pretty nice combination of attacks.

Exeggutor
Ability: Chlorophyll
- Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder
- Psychic
- Hyper Beam

I like using Exeggutor, because Leech Seed + Sleep Power is a pretty nice combination for me, and Hyper beam is pretty strong. Psychic is also a move i like using.

So, what did you think of my team?

Hi, unfortunately, your team I wouldn't consider viable, both in terms of the combination of mons and the sets they run. I'll start by going through the move sets:

Lapras- Tbolt is generally preferred to Thunder, but Thunder is still viable so that's all good. The really big issue is Hydro Pump and Psychic. These moves just don't help Lapras do anything, as Blizzard already hits everything relevant harder than it, while non-STAB Psychic is just bad, doesn't hit anything significantly. Moves you'd want to consider in their place are Body Slam, Hyper Beam, Sing and Confuse Ray. Also it should never lead.

Rhydon has no business taking on grass types js. Fire Blast is too weak with its feeble Special stat. Seismic Toss is invariably outdamaged by Don's other attacking moves, since it has pretty good neutral coverage. Instead I'd recommend running Body Slam to fish for paralysis on Starmie, while Substitute should go in its last slot, as if you get a bit of luck vs a paralysed opponent it can put you in a really good position.

Jolteon's moveset isn't bad tbh. Again, I prefer Tbolt to Thunder, but it's not important. The only change I would make to the set is to run Double Kick>Body Slam. Body Slam does nothing on Jolt, while Double Kick is awesome at bashing Chansey's face in. As for Pin Missile, vs most Psychics it's bad, but it hits Exeggutor really hard which is why it gets recommended, because that's a really big deal.

Alakazam- Substitute simply isn't very good on Zam since it doesn't block status. You also lack any means of spreading paralysis, which is a really valuable thing for Zam to be doing, so I'd recommend dropping Sub for TWave.

Gengar: Hypnosis is good, but pretty much everything else about this set isn't. Confuse Ray is incredibly unreliable and gimmicky. Dream Eater may be tempting, but it's easily stopped by simply switching out, so in practice it does nothing. Psychic is a really poor attacking option for Gengar, since there are plenty of Psychic types ready to switch in on Gengar which Psychic simply isn't going to do too much damage to. Instead I'd recommend a set of Hypnosis/Thunderbolt/Night Shade/Explosion. Thunderbolt helps cover water types, Night Shade gives you reasonable damage vs everything and Explosion is useful to potentially take down an opposing wall like Chansey. Also the most common normals are Tauros and Snorlax, which both run Earthquake a lot, so Gengar is often not a great response there js

Exeggutor: Most of the moves here are viable, but I'd recommend dropping Leech Seed. Leech Seed doesn't do a lot of damage and it's pretty simple to just switch out of it. Explosion is definitely the best move to run in its place for wallbreaking and also to act as an emergency check to stuff like Bro.

====

Looking at the team as a whole... it's actually not too bad. Definitely Lapras needs to be moved out of the lead spot, probably replace it with Gengar I think. The next thing is that you really ought to be using Tauros (BSlam/Blizz/EQ/HBeam). It's just an incredible sweeper and can and will single-handedly win games. Practically every team is improved by running Tauros. Not sure what I'd drop to run it, maybe Jolteon? Lapras+Don is a pretty decent core

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)