VGC My simple synergy team

Hi there, recently I bought Pokemon Sun and re-started to play competetively (I used to play competetively during ORAS, I actually managed to win one tournament).
But nowadays metagame troubles me a lot. I tend to lose a lot. Do you think the team itself is inconsistent? What would you change?

Garchomp (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Protect​

This is quite a simple Garchomp set. I didn't really now whether I want Lum or Groundium Z, I had success with both. Since I already play Waterium Gyarados, I decided for Lum Berry, it's quite awesome since there are many wall Pokemon relying on stopping Garchomp with Burn or Scald Burn.
Poison Jab right now is one of the best coverage against all Tapus and few other Pokemon.

Ninetales-Alola (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Aurora Veil
- Protect​

This is imo standard Ninetales, I really enjoy Blizzard hitting both enemies. Freeze-Dry is one of the best attacks as it's Ice and deals with most Ice-resistant Pokemon (Water) and opens 4x weakness on Gastrodon and Pelipper. Quite awesome. Aurora Veil is to set Defenses helping team survive, especially frail Marowak (tho it doesn't help that much) and Gyarados or Metagross for sweep.

Gyarados (M) @ Waterium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang​

Another classic Gyarados DD set. It is very powerful Water Pokemon who brings Earthquake synergy due to it being Flying type, Intimidate support and it's only downside is Electric weakness, which is covered by Marowak's Lightning Rod.
It can sweep very well and forces opponent to rather deal with Gyarados rather than its teammate and with Protect it opens some mind games and plays to benefit my team.

Marowak-Alola (M) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 4 Def / 68 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Detect​

This is mainly Celesteela and Arcanine check. It can deal with both pretty well, I honestly dislike recoil a lot, but still, Lightning Rod is superior ability over Rock Head.
Shadow Bone is for covering Tapu Psychic, Drifblim, Metagross and other stuff. Bonemerang is to deal with Arcanine and Flare Blitz is main hitting move.

Salamence @ Dragonium Z
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
Salamence is one of my favorite Pokemon, but honestly I find him quite weak, his only two actualy useful moves are Z-Draco Meteor and Draco Meteor. So he basically attacks twice. However, even that is sometimes a lot useful, it absolutely punishes mediocre-speed sweepers and due to its relatively good bulkiness and Intimidate it can even survive something and kill in return.
He can absolutely remove Porygon2 which happens a lot for me and I rely on that. (Not OHKO probably, but it can down him from 60%).

Metagross @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

Sweeper. He is quite bulky, its typing allows to check Fairy and Ice types which is quite a necessity in my team and during Aurora Veil he forces opponents to deal with him with Super Effective moves, which ´turns on Weakness Policy.
Meteor Mash is now much more awesome due to having more accuracy thus even playable, Bullet Punch is nice priority move that helps a lot and Zen-Headbutt is another STAB for coverage.

There is a example replay (even tho it's not a good one since there I won)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-584558543

Tell me please what do you think of this team.

Also, I wanna ask, is there any metagame forum concerning Battle Spot Doubles? If I understand it correctly it's basically VGC with Mega Stones and all non-legendary Pokemon allowed.

Here is importable code:

Garchomp (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Ninetales-Alola (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Freeze-Dry
- Aurora Veil
- Protect

Gyarados (M) @ Waterium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang

Marowak-Alola (M) @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Atk / 4 Def / 68 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Detect

Salamence @ Dragonium Z
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Hydro Pump
- Protect

Metagross @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Protect

I'm not an avid VGC player but the first thing I'd do is replace Gyarado's Ice Fang with Bounce and give it Supersonic Skystrike. You also want to adjust the EVs to better account for the metagame and to take advantage of every Intimidate you can get. The set would look something like this:

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 36 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 20 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

I dont have that event Magikarp.

You said you've been disappointed with Salamence's performance, and already having a Dragon-type and Intimidate user on the team makes it an obvious candidate for replacement to patch up weaknesses on the team. Water-types, particularly Tapu Fini, Porygon2, and Snorlax are Pokemon that I believe could be problematic, all of which are relatively common, so changes should likely revolve around improving the match-up against them. Here are my suggestions:

(1)
->
Salamence to Tapu Koko
An Electric-type helps against Water-types such as Tapu Fini, whom you otherwise had few ways to deal with, and Celesteela. A way to change the Terrain also helps in reducing the damage of opposing Tapu Lele under Psychic Terrain, and prevents Garchomp's Dragon Claw from being weakened by Misty Terrain. Additionally, since you have two Electric immunities on the team in Garchomp and Alolan Marowak, a Discharge user presents synergy, which is why that's the set I'll recommend:

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Discharge
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

(2)
->
Metagross to Celesteela
With the change to Tapu Koko, the team becomes a little weak to Ground, so changing Metagross to Celesteela evades this issue and fills the same role as a bulky Steel-type. It importantly also helps against foes such as Porygon2 and Snorlax, which you otherwise had few answers to, and is why I recommend a set with Toxic:

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 228 HP / 36 Atk / 140 Def / 100 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic
- Leech Seed
- Protect

Offensive
  • 36 Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tapu Lele: 180-212 (101.6 - 119.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Physically Defensive
  • 252+ Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 228 HP / 140 Def Celesteela: 170-204 (84.5 - 101.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • 252+ Atk Water Bubble Araquanid Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 228 HP / 140 Def Celesteela: 171-202 (85 - 100.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  • +1 252 Atk Gyarados Hydro Vortex (160 BP) vs. 228 HP / 140 Def Celesteela: 169-201 (84 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
Specially Defensive
  • 252+ SpA Choice Specs Tapu Koko Thunderbolt vs. 228 HP / 100+ SpD Celesteela: 168-198 (83.5 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Tapu Lele Thunderbolt vs. 228 HP / 100+ SpD Celesteela: 92-110 (45.7 - 54.7%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
  • 252+ SpA Xurkitree Thunderbolt vs. 228 HP / 100+ SpD Celesteela: 170-204 (84.5 - 101.4%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

Hope this helped!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)