ORAS UU nasty

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
STOP! Gimme a beat!

Sittin' in the movie show, thinkin' nasty thoughts, this nasty boy decided to build a team around NastyPass Celebi. Made a few teams with a few different sets, wanted to share the one I think is the most fun. Most of the teams were straight up balls to the wall nasty offense, but this nasty balance team is a whole different take on the standard BP style. Because you all know, Balance is my middle name, and my last name is Control. (No, my first name ain't Baby, it's Hogg - Mr. Hogg if you're nasty.)

- = t h e . t e a m = -

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

NastyPass Celebi was what I built this team around, and I can confirm that this thing is a monster. In addition to pivoting into a ton of attacks and supporting the team with Substitutes and Nasty Plot passes, this set just crushes many common stall teams, either alone or in tandem with Feraligatr. The EV spread allows for 101 HP Substitutes, allowing you to set up on Blissey, with enough Speed to outpace Krookodile (and other relevant threats in that range such as Entei). The rest gets tossed into Defense, allowing Celebi to easily stay in on Pursuits, tank things like MAero's Wing Attack with ~35% to spare, and even have a 94% chance of living 252 Attack Sky Plate Crobat's Brave Bird.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

I toyed around a lot with decent NastyPass recipients for Celebi. I wanted something that could easily sweep through unprepared teams, but that wasn't going to be dead weight if it didn't get a boost. I've tried a few different things in this slot, including Nidoqueen, Porygon2 and Moltres, all with varying degrees of success. Feraligatr has been by far the most consistent, and the most fun. Gatr's Scald hits roughly as hard as Nidoqueen's Earth Power, but unlike Nidoqueen, Feraligatr can't be easily revenge-killed thanks to Agility. It has almost the perfect Speed for an Agility set, hitting 255 Speed with a Modest nature, which is just enough to outspeed Choice Scarf Mienshao after a boost. Even without a NastyPass, this set can run right through offensive teams. With one, it is incredibly hard to stop. At +2, Focus Blast does 75% minimum to standard Blissey, while Scald does 70% minimum to Cleric Sylveon. At +4, even Calm Blissey is guaranteed to drop to a single Focus Blast.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Hydreigon does what Hydreigon does, giving me decent insurance against half the tier and using its myriad of resistances to pivot around. It's another fantastic NastyPass recipient as well, and a lot of teams will crumple to a +2 Hydreigon. Just a note, it's incredibly important to keep this thing healthy if your opponent has an Entei, so be generous with Sylveon's Wishes. I switch around a lot between Flamethrower, Flash Cannon and Fire Blast, but Fire Blast is probably the most reliable overall (Flash Cannon is great if you have a boost but underwhelming if you don't, while Flamethrower requires chip on key targets like Cobalion, Whimsicott and Mega-Bee to have a guaranteed KO).

Crobat
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Defog
- Haze
- Roost

At this point I could have taken the team into a fairly offensive direction, or I could have gone for a more balanced approach. I decided to go with the latter, and dedicated the rest of the team to building up a solid defensive core. Haze AcroBat has been a really fantastic anti-meta 'mon lately, providing one of the most reliable switch-ins to Bulk Up Conkeldurr and CB Krook in the game. Haze is an unfortunate necessity to beat things like BU Conk and SD Cobalion, and it's just a great emergency button in general for setup sweepers of all stripes. The EV spread outpaces Whimsicott and everything below, while maximizing bulk. Seriously, I've often been pretty critical of bulky Crobat, but this thing is finding its way onto so many of my teams lately - I urge you to give it a shot.

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic / Roar

Steelix is one of my favorite Megas in UU, coming into many of the same things that Mega-Aggron does but hitting harder thanks to a heavier weight and STAB on EQ, and also sporting a typing that discourages Volt Switch spam. I found Roar largely unnecessary with Haze Crobat in the back, so I instead went with Toxic, which hits bulky Waters and things like Cresselia that otherwise would switch in more or less for free. That said, without Roar, the team does struggle a bit against CurseLax, so I sometimes switch that one back in.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Wish

Cleric Sylveon is one of those Pokemon that ends up on basically all of my teams, from bulky offense to balance to full stall. It just switches into so much, while still providing solid offensive pressure even with uninvested Hyper Voices. It was a natural choice on this team, and passing Wishes to keep things like Hydreigon and Steelix healthy is pretty vital to the team's success. Nothing much else to say - I think this is basically the most splashable 'mon in the tier for a reason.

- = t h r e a t l i s t = -
No contest, Entei is the single biggest threat to this team. Nothing really wants to switch into it. That being said, the team does have counterplay to it. The only two things it can really come in on are Celebi and Sylveon, and both of those can scout and stall Sacred Fires. Against a team with Entei, you want to focus on minimizing how often it can come in safely (never lead with Celebi/Sylv against a team with Entei, for example), prioritize getting Rocks up, be very generous with your Wishes to keep Hydreigon healthy (hydra is your best Entei switch-in), and just punish it every time it's in. Don't be afraid to stay in on a Sacred Fire with Steelix if Entei is in Earthquake range, for example.

Bulky CM Psychics can be annoying, but usually aren't too bad. Cresselia loses outright to Toxic Steelix all day long, and usually loses to Roar Steelix too, so just keep it fairly healthy and you should be fine. Reuniclus is a bit more annoying thanks to Focus Blast and the fact that it easily sets up on Roar-less Steelix, but Celebi actually does a decent job of stalling it out, and Haze Crobat can always rescue things if necessary.

CurseLax feels like it should be a HUGE threat to this team if you're running Toxic on Steelix. In practice, it's actually not so bad if your defensive core is healthy. Basically, Steelix forces CurseLax to rest really reliably, giving you ample turns to Haze with Crobat or Wish Steelix back up to health. Even at +6, you're talking about a 4HKO on Steelix at best. That said, lastmon Snorlax is always a threat, especially if Gatr is gone (Gatr's Focus Blast is your best way of just straight up breaking Lax), so make sure you play to avoid that scenario as best as possible.

It's worth noting that all of these threats are also barely threatening at all if you play really aggressively around getting a BP off to Gatr in the early game. +2 Gatr outright OHKOs standard CurseLax, has a better than average chance to OHKO Reuniclus and does 63% min to Cresselia. (Entei, of course, is OHKO'd even without a boost.)

- = r e p l a y s = -
I haven't used this team in any real tours, though it has won several roomtours, for whatever that is worth. Dicking around with it on the ladder pretty consistently keeps me in the high 1600s or low 1700s (current ranking as of this moment is 1686). It has a fantastic matchup versus stall and a solid matchup versus most other teams. It's also a lot of fun, if fun is the sort of thing you're into.

I am terrible at saving replays, but here are a couple I managed to nab:

- = c o n c l u s i o n = -
I built this team to showcase a different sort of NastyPass Celebi, and I wasn't disappointed. In particular, this team plays off of the fact that the vast majority of "counters" to NP Celebi, such as Blissey and Bronzong, actually become setup bait for this set. That said, this is far from the only thing BP Celebi can do. I think most of us have realized by now that SD + BP Celebi into Mega-Shark is "easy-mode" for laddering because it wins so many games on matchup alone (seriously, next time you want quick reqs for a UU suspect test, CeleShark is the way to go), while offensive NastyPass (NP/Giga/Psychic/BP with a 252/252+ EV spread) is a potent sweeper on its own that can simply pass on its boosts to something more appropriate when confronted with a bulky Steel or Fire type.

Honestly, I feel like BP in general is pretty broken in UU, even if it's still largely unexplored, and I think BP Celebi in particular is busted as hell. Celebi is a threatening enough sweeper that it forces an immediate response, and BP sets can easily take advantage of that. Given a free turn or two, there are teams that completely crumple to BP Celebi with very little counterplay, whether it's at the hands of a more bulky team like this one, or via the always fun CeleShark offense (shoutouts Shiba).

Anyhow, I hope you like my nasty little team. Broken or not, I think it's a lot of fun, even if there's definitely room for improvement. BONUS: For all you nasty team raters out there, I'll make a custom ChickenPass team for anyone who works a Nasty reference into their rate. You know you want to.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
Modest Nature
- Agility
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Crobat
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Defog
- Haze
- Roost

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Wish

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Congrats in creating one nasty team, Hogg! Have you considered Screech on Steelix? It will help against Curselax and Reuniclus better than Roar or Toxic imo. Cress doesn't want to take a Heavy Slam after having its Defense dropped by half, either. Toxic may be better overall, though. I haven't touched ORAS outside of DOU so take my suggestion with a grain of salt.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Screech is definitely a cool bit of tech. I'll miss the ability to Toxic bulky Waters on the switch, but truth be told this team doesn't really struggle much with bulky Waters anyhow, and not losing to lastmon Curselax is pretty clutch. I haven't been able to play with the team much lately for obvious reasons (rip BP but not really, glad it's finally gone), but I do think that Screech could fit in well there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)