Project Next Best Thing

Congrats to Shengineer for winning Week 6 of NBT! Choice Band transforms Iron Thorns' role to that of a breaker with more immediate (and reusable) power. While Dragon Dance is pretty much the undisputed 'optimal' set, it was fun to see what other ways we could experiment with Thorns this week. See you soon for Week 7!

:sv/iron-thorns:
Iron Thorns @ Choice Band :choice-band:
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ground/Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Supercell Slam
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge / Tera Blast

This week of NBT will be hosted by LessThanThreeMan! Details coming soon.

We will be enforcing a new(ish) rule: your post must include evidence that your set actually works! This is best demonstrated by sharing a replay, and if you aim to counter a certain Pokemon or set of Pokemon, some supporting calcs will go a long way :). Also make sure to title your sets, check the rules on the original post if there's any confusion. Thanks everyone for your participation so far!

Last edited:
Bulk Up Swampert Sweeper
:sv/swampert:
Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
This swampert set aims to be a late game sweeper that can act as a disruptive mon earlier on in a game. Bulk up allows swamper to tank many physical hits by taking minimal damage from physical hits, for example at +1 it can take an uninvested brambleghast seed bomb and at +2 it can take a power whip and a seed bomb from brute bonnet. Liquidation and Earthquake are the stabs of choice of course to deal maximum damage while knock off allows swampert a safe button to click and give it early game utility of removing items for its and teammates sweep. Tera fire has a dual purpose. It of course resists grass which is big for swampert, but also gives pert a burn immunity, which can mean that something like physically bulky incin can't actually try to trade itself for a burn.

!!! This is a temp replay. I will get a better one as I'm climbing the ladder, but this is to show that there is some merit to it !!!
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nu-2116790870 Swampert was able to deal with the threatening gallade and also ko the rhyperior due to the miss.

Last edited:
Demon diancie outdated, demon mew overrated, demon registeel sucks long have we awaited, demon swampert activated.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Damp
Tera Type: Poison/Steel/Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 40 Def / 216 SpD
Careful Nature
- Amnesia
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Rest

Of all the "demon set" options (usually used to refer to a set that boosts both defense and tries to sweep) swampert has the best typing pre tera defensively only having a 4x weakness to grass and some useful resistances. The plan with this set is to have teammates take out immediate threats to its ability to set up, and get the pert rolling. The EV spread I went with a more SpDef biased spread, as though you boost faster with amnesia, often special attackers are used to try and pressure you first and you also want to be able to click bulk up more to boost your attack as well. Mono attack knock off as it allows swampert to have some utility before find a sweep opportunity as well as not having anything be immune to it, and 4x dark resists aren't very commonplace in the current meta. As knock off is the only attack torrent is useless thus we opt for damp since a 0.1% chance of being used is better than 0%. For tera types I mostly tried poison but steel and fairy have their defensive merits as well and will be up to preference.

For the team I went with I wanted to pair it with toxic spikes to help wear down bulkier mons that swampert would have a harder time muscling through, and specs sylveon felt like a nice pairing to bait poisons and steels that would be a thorn to toxic spikes with a strong psyshock/psychic or tera blast into tera blast ground. NBT Swampert (pokepast.es)

Replays:
- https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9nu-2116764804-gej0sk75j9wz4cxc4fxfvw1gajtdbm0pw

Also here is a funny calc I saw as I was trying this: 252 SpA Choice Specs Chandelure Energy Ball vs. +6 252 HP / 216+ SpD Swampert: 132-156 (32.6 - 38.6%) -- 1.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
:sv/swampert: Bulky offensive AV Swampert
Swampert @ Assault Vest
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flip Turn
- Liquidation
- Earthquake
- Knock Off/Ice Punch

Flip Turn is the STAB chosen for utility (to keep the momentum, whereas Liquidation is for power. Earthquake is for coverage, and Knock Off is the main choice over Ice Punch if you prefer the utility over the coverage.
The EVs spread is a standard Bulky offensive one. Assault Vest makes this Swampert resilient even on the special side of the spectrum.
Tera Fire is here to prevent from being burned.

Last edited:
Ogre Stomper / Choice Band

CceSQGZXIAEEuRi.jpg

MUH SWAMP (Swampert) @ Choice Band
Tera Type: Poison
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Flip Turn
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch

Typically we see swampert in more of a defensive pivot role, setting up rocks, clicking eq and flip turning into offensive threats. Banded swampert cuts out the middle man and is the offensive threat! Here we see a fairly simple spread with max attack and max speed jolly. A slower spread with some hp investment and adamant can be used but I really valued outspeeding (or speed typing if they are max speed) magnezone, one of the hardest mons to switch into effectively in the tier. Swampert naturally checks magnezone with its typing but does have to be careful of a potential terablast grass. Tera poison is chosen here primarily for the grass and fighting resistance, but it also can help you not get poisoned by amuk. Offensive Teras (ground, water, dark) could also be used here potentially. Earthquake is your main stab, flip turn does great damage on the switch and preserves momentum, knock off has great utility and is one of you best ways of punishing slowbro, and ice punch rounds out the coverage allowing you to hit vileplume/grass types in general. The team below is built around pivoting and using u-turn talonflame and magnezone to get pert in vs mons it wants to hit! (muk-alola, steel types, diancie, etc.)

Team

Replays
Where is the switch in?! (team was updated after this replay)
EQ Endgame
No ground resist in PERT's TIER?!
Pert has coverage?!

nobodyplaysatmyelo: Shrek is a great movie series .
Shrek Enjoyer: MUH SWAMP
nobodyplaysatmyelo: Imagine if pert shiny was green
Shrek Enjoyer: it would all be ogre

Last edited:
Congrats to Shengineer for winning Week 6 of NBT! Choice Band transforms Iron Thorns' role to that of a breaker with more immediate (and reusable) power. While Dragon Dance is pretty much the undisputed 'optimal' set, it was fun to see what other ways we could experiment with Thorns this week. See you soon for Week 7!

:sv/iron-thorns:
Iron Thorns @ Choice Band :choice-band:
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ground/Grass
Adamant Nature
- Supercell Slam
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge / Tera Blast
Giving yourself the win is nasty work lmao

I just want to reserve this set before anyone takes this idea. I have to work out the details of perfecting this at another time.

Swampert (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Damp
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Def / 156 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Endeavor
- Counter
- Mirror Coat

Reserving Bulky Special Attacker

Swampert @ Custap Berry
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Hydro Pump
- Stealth Rock

Fun facts about this pert:

OHKOs cloysters that think they have free setup (probably)
Custap torrent hydro pumps can collect free KOs
ice beam 2HKO's vileplume
attracts enemies to burn you, but you literally do not care

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)