Nintendo Switch vs. PS4 Pro vs. Xbox One X

Which is the best console in the 8½ generation gaming era?

• Total voters

Tory

Banned deucer.
- Is the Nintendo Switch worth it after 6 months?

To the uninitiated, these numbers will be confusing and make the Switch look like a piddly little machine. Rest assured that the Nvidia tech that powers this is genuinely remarkable. Consider this: the CPU and GPU in the Switch, which is based on the Nvidia Tegra X1 found in the Nvidia Shield console, will likely have a maximum power consumption of 15W (not taking the screen or other components into account). Compare that to the original PS4 and Xbox One and you’re looking at multiple times more.

Is it not a bit fruitless to compare a portable console to the giant slabs that sit under our TVs? Not completely. After all, the the Switch is as much a home console as it is a portable one, and if it can’t do justice to your big, expensive TV then you might feel short-changed.

The Switch will output at a maximum of Full HD (1080p), so if you have a 4K television, it’ll need to do some work to upscale the footage. This compares to both the Xbox One and PS4, which also output at a native Full HD resolution. However, what resolution the Switch is actually drawing is unclear. We don’t know if some games will be drawn in something like 900p, then upscaled to Full HD before being sent to your TV, which will look worse than proper Full HD. Source: Trusted Reviews

- Now Let's take a look at the Playstation 4 Pro

The graphics processor (GPU) in the PS4 Pro – that’s the bit that generates the 3D graphics in games – is just over twice as powerful as that in the PS4. Sony’s also upgraded the processor, which handles things like physics and artificial intelligence in games.

Sony claims the new PS4 Pro can run at 4.2 teraflops, compared to the 1.84 teraflops of the original PS4 – teraflops is a simple measure of computer performance, a bit like horsepower in cars. We’ll get onto how that power is used a little later.

In addition, while the PS4 Pro has the same amount of memory as the original PS4 – 8GB GDDR5 – it runs at a higher speed to improve performance. The PS4 Pro also has an extra 1GB of memory for non-gaming applications like Netflix. This means they won’t waste space games can use and means you can switch between apps faster.

Source: Trusted Reviews

- Xbox One X - The most powerful console ever made?

Microsoft has also released an extensive list of games that will support Xbox One X upon its release later this year, including many existing Xbox One titles that are set to receive free updates going forward. At the time of writing Microsoft’s list of supported games has now surpassed 130.

Xbox One X Specs: How powerful is the Xbox One X?

Here’s a quick breakdown of all the key Xbox One X specs:
  • CPU: Eight-core 2.3GHz processor
  • GPU: 40 compute units at 1172MHz
  • RAM: 12GB GDDR5 (shared between system and GPU)
  • Bandwidth: 326GB/s
  • Storage: 1TB hard disk
  • Disc: UHD Blu-ray player
  • Video: 4K output, HDR 10 support
  • Audio: DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital 5.1 and Atmos, PCM 2.0, 5.1, 7.1
  • Wireless: Bluetooth, dual-band Wi-Fi, Wi-Fi Direct, IR blaster
  • Connectors: 2x HDMI (2.0b out, 1.4b in), 3x USB 3.0 ports, IR out, S/PDIF, Ethernet
First, let’s look at the headline Xbox One X specs before moving onto how this will affect gaming resolution and performance.

The One X uses an eight-core processor, likely from AMD although not officially stated, running at 2.3GHz. Seasoned PC gamers might not think this sounds like a lot and, indeed, it isn’t. But keep in mind console processors are packed into an incredibly tight space, and more GHz means more heat. This is still a substantial boost over the Xbox One, whose eight cores ran at 1.75GHz. Source: Trusted Reviews

[Red Flag] Some content may be unsuitable for children under 17.

The switch can play some games also available to Xbox1x and ps4 but the switch is portable, but has an annoying controller glitch. It also has a really shitty battery life which furthermore increases its role as a console because it has to be remained plugged in. Even the battery significantly lowers at a noticeable pace even when the screen brightness is at the dimmest.

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I like to think that have the mindset of a quite casual gamer. A game would really need to chug in the framerate and such for me to notice, let alone care. Graphical prowess also has very diminishing return, if the games are going for realistic graphics. I might "ooooo" at the hot new cutscenes of brown military shooter #65, but there's not much substance to it. I also don't have a sustainable income at the moment, so the price of stuff is quite an important factor to me.

With all this in mind, it's nigh unfair for me to compare the PS4 and XxX_B1_xXx to the switch, because it has passable graphical prowess and has a meaningful practical advantage over a PC and the other consoles, in that I can play the exact same games on the go, theoretically with just a lower graphical setting which I usually don't care about. Though in practice some games are quite noticably worse on the Switch, and there's also the fact that switch ports get shafted in release dates. But by not worrying about keeping up with the latest games and only really getting games with good reviews and such, there's little contest from any of the other systems. And why would I feel the need to keep up with all the newest games? I don't have the time or money for that.

I can't speak for others. Which system has the best games and other benefits is of course a very subjective matter, but for someone with my (hopefully rational) preferences, the Switch is a clear winner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)