SM NU No Brain Required. Spikes HO 1400s+

Introduction​
One of the strategies that i find the most fun, especially in lower tiers is brainless hyper offense. I wanted to make a team for Nu that got hazards up easily and pressured teams with hard hitters. I knew that NU being in it's early stages had plenty of hard hitting mons that can make for great mons on HO. The team ended up being very physical attack oriented as i feel the physical walls of NU don't have great typing and can be worn down easily. The team ended up allowing me to coast into the high 1400s really easily, and probably would have brought me farther if i played NU more and was better at it. The team has it's flaws but is super fun to use, and is really good for people new to NU.

The Team

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 216 HP / 40 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes​
Since the team was HO i wanted a mon that allowed me to easily set up hazards pretty Reliably. I also wanted both spikes and Stealth rocks without having to use multiple team Slots. Omastar allowed me to fill both of those rolls as with a focus sash you can usually get up at least Stealth Rocks. With weak armor, you are able to get a layer of spikes up as well against physical attacking leads. Another huge bonus to using Omastar is it's access to both scald and ice beam. Scald allows it to hit and weaken leads like steelix and piloswine, which give some of my other mons trouble. Ice beam is huge as you can hit xatu very hard on a predicted switch, as a lot of people will switch it in on Omastar. Because i wanted Ice beam i had to forfeit toxic spikes, which is fine because they are hard to get up, and don't help the team much. I find that on the lower ladder focus sash is much more useful as taunt users are much less common and you want to get up guaranteed hazards.

Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Dazzling Gleam​
Rapid Spin is very prevelent in NU from my experience in the form of Hitmonlee, Hitmonchan, komala, and others. To help deal with this i wanted a spin blocker that also had offensive capabilities. I felt like mismagius was the best at this role as it can switch into a Hitmonlee spin and retaliate in the form of dazzling gleam. Colbur berry is necessary as most of the spinners carry knock off, and colbur allows you to eat that while dealing hefty damage with gleam. Taunt and Nasty Plot allow Mismagius to beat down bulkier threats. Max speed and special attack is pretty standard as you want speed and to be able to hit hard.

Virizion @ Rockium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge​
Virizion being, in my opinion, one of NU's most Dangerous mons had to be on the team. Although unboosted it may not be super strong, after an SD it become a massive threat. It hits a great speed which allows it to outspeed a lot of mons that would threaten it. It's coverage allows it to hit a lot of the physically bulkier mons very hard, such as steelic, rhydon, and slowbro. i decided to run a Rockium Z set because Golbat has become pretty common, and being able to KO consistently without playing around with Stone miss is great. Leaf Blade and Close Combat provide a dual stab that has great coverage in NU.

Gallade @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Memento​
This Spot of the team was originally held by machamp, but a change was suggested and tested. Gallade provides a lot more usefullness to the team then machamp. Machamp was a massive hitter but lacked speed and had weak priority. Scarf gallade gives me a much faster mon without sacraficing much power. Gallade also can switch into a meloetta attack which is nice. Close combat and Zen are obvious choices for a strong dual stab. Knock off is rarely used but can hit ghosts. Memento is nice to use to allow virizion or minior to be kept.

Sneasel (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit​
The team at this point was completely destroyed by Meloetta, and psychics in general. Adding a sneasel is kind of a soft check to this as it prevents them from spaming their stab. Sneasel can switch in on a meloetta and pursuit trap it which is a guaranteed KO unless it is colbur, or stays in. Sneasel also can revenge kill weakened sceptile with ice shard. The set i chose is the standard Choice band set to allow for the most power. Knock off and crash are a strong dual stab, with ice shard for priority, and pursuit for trapping.

Minior-Blue @ White Herb
Ability: Shields Down
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Shell Smash​
At this point the team was full of hard hitters and i wanted a set up sweeper that could plow through weakened teams. I tested a few mons but landed on minior as the best fitting. Although it is another physical attack, minior is so easy to set up, and greatly benefits from the other members of the team. I usually save minior until all the physical threats that can take a hit are weakened, or i use it to help set up for a virizion sweep. The set is the standard minior set with shell smash, plus substitute to allow you to get into shields down mode. Acrobatics and earthquake provide amazing coverage. A change to barbaracle has been suggested, but i felt it was much easier to set up with minior, and the team can weaken threats like steelix and rhydon.

Threats​
Meloetta- Although i have Mismagius that can switch in on a normalium z, and sneasel that can switch in on psychic and trap it, this is still an annoying mon to deal with.
Sceptile- The other S tier threat that is annoying. Virizion is actually really good at soaking up hits from it, but you steal need to keep it healthy if their is a sceptile on the other team.

Importable​
Mismagius @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Dazzling Gleam

Omastar @ Focus Sash
EVs: 216 HP / 40 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

Virizion @ Rockium Z
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Machamp @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Facade
- Bullet Punch

Sneasel (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Pursuit

Minior-Blue @ White Herb
Ability: Shields Down
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Shell Smash

Conclusion​
This team has been super fun to use as it doesn't require too much thinking, and gets you pretty quick games on the ladder. It is a great team for escaping low ladder quickly, and is viable on the mid ladder. If you have any suggested improvement i will try them out.

Last edited:

Disjunction

Everything I waste gets recycled
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Spikes Oma / NP Mismagius / Rockium Virizion / Machamp / Sneasel / Minior

Hey man, cool team! I love hyper offensive teams in this meta just because of how diverse they are in comparisson to balance teams. That being said, I'm noticing a couple of things that I think could make you break down your opponents easier.

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Shell Smash
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

First off, I would recommend using this Omastar set over the one you have right now. A lead setter like Oma needs to be able to be able to punch past its traditional switch-ins. The set you have right now gets a solid 70% off on xatu as it switches in, but xatu has the ability to roost it off or 2 hit ko you with grass knot. Additionally, you don't beat Golbat as it just clicks Toxic and stalls you out with Roost and Defog. The set I posted, while lacking in coverage, allows you to get past most hazard controllers.

Additionally, while I think Machamp is a great Pokemon in today's meta, I don't think it fits as well on your team as the majority of your team already beats down balance teams fairly well. You lack the ability to outspeed Sceptile and you need a secondary fighting-type check in case Mismagius gets Pursuit-trapped, so I would recommend Choice Scarf Gallade here. This is the set I use:

Gallade @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Memento / Trick

Memento could be really cool for you to set up for a Minior / Virizion sweep, but Trick can cripple specific bulky Psychic-types that want to switch in like Xatu and Uxie.

Also, and this is optional, I could see Shuca Berry Barbaracle being a good replacement over Minior if you find yourself struggling to sweep against teams with Rhydon or Steelix. Shuca Barb sets up on a lot of stuff that checks Virizion (Flying-types primarily) and the Shuca berry can even allow you to set up on either of these. Here's the set if you ever find yourself feeling like Minior is helping:

Barbaracle @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Razor Shell
- Grass Knot
- Return
- Shell Smash

Summary of suggested changes:
Omstar > Hazards lead with Shell Smash
Machamp > Scarf Gallade
(Optional) Minior > Barbaracle

Hope I helped :)

Spikes Oma / NP Mismagius / Rockium Virizion / Machamp / Sneasel / Minior

Hey man, cool team! I love hyper offensive teams in this meta just because of how diverse they are in comparisson to balance teams. That being said, I'm noticing a couple of things that I think could make you break down your opponents easier.

Omastar @ Focus Sash
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Shell Smash
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

First off, I would recommend using this Omastar set over the one you have right now. A lead setter like Oma needs to be able to be able to punch past its traditional switch-ins. The set you have right now gets a solid 70% off on xatu as it switches in, but xatu has the ability to roost it off or 2 hit ko you with grass knot. Additionally, you don't beat Golbat as it just clicks Toxic and stalls you out with Roost and Defog. The set I posted, while lacking in coverage, allows you to get past most hazard controllers.

Additionally, while I think Machamp is a great Pokemon in today's meta, I don't think it fits as well on your team as the majority of your team already beats down balance teams fairly well. You lack the ability to outspeed Sceptile and you need a secondary fighting-type check in case Mismagius gets Pursuit-trapped, so I would recommend Choice Scarf Gallade here. This is the set I use:

Gallade @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Memento / Trick

Memento could be really cool for you to set up for a Minior / Virizion sweep, but Trick can cripple specific bulky Psychic-types that want to switch in like Xatu and Uxie.

Also, and this is optional, I could see Shuca Berry Barbaracle being a good replacement over Minior if you find yourself struggling to sweep against teams with Rhydon or Steelix. Shuca Barb sets up on a lot of stuff that checks Virizion (Flying-types primarily) and the Shuca berry can even allow you to set up on either of these. Here's the set if you ever find yourself feeling like Minior is helping:

Barbaracle @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Razor Shell
- Grass Knot
- Return
- Shell Smash

Summary of suggested changes:
Omstar > Hazards lead with Shell Smash
Machamp > Scarf Gallade
(Optional) Minior > Barbaracle

Hope I helped :)
Thanks for suggestion. These changes should really help with the teams ability to handle higher ladder players. I will be testing the changes and see how it does.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)