SM RU Noivern + Ghost Rotom Semi Stall (Achieved Reqs in Durant Suspect)

Hello all, I'm Mr. Murkrow, better known as Murk and while I'm mainly a draft league player which is what I mainly put onto my yt channel, I took a break and then when I came back realized I had some serious rust so I decided to take up the PS ladder to shake that rust off and kill some time. I was bored with OU pretty quickly and I saw RU was having a suspect and while I have no prior knowledge of SM RU aside from the fact that Flygon is viable for some dumb reason, it'd be fun to try out. I first tackled the suspect with an HO team provided by ladder goat and fellow National Pokeball League member PokeTCG gamer1288 and after just coming up short by 50 coil points after the allotted 62 game maximum to achieve reqs, I realized I had so much fun I wanted to give it another whirl and to do it with my own creation. After playing 60+ games I was able to get a decent feel of what people were running in the meta as well as recognizing what was good and what would have some potential. Enough long winded intro that you probably don't care about, let's talk about the team.
Teambuilding Process
Going into this, I noticed that really fat stuff with wish was extraordinarily effective at kicking my butt on the ladder so I decided I wanted to take a bulky/stall route but with a mon that would take people by surprise and also have very good matchups vs offense and stall. I thought about using Noivern after I saw it in C+ on the viability rankings and not seeing a single one on the ladder in my first run through it, and I recalled one cool set I saw on the forums from back in the days of pre-Zapdos ORAS UU.
1516009465775.png

After I knew I wanted to build around Noivern, I basically just slapped on a bunch of fat stuff that would cover the necessary bases of a real fat team.
1516009508863.png
1516009517457.png
1516009530501.png
1516009585773.png

Following this, I wanted a poison type to avoid being ravaged by Tspikes, as well as to abuse my own toxic spikes so I threw on NQueen
1516009508863.png
1516009517457.png
1516009530501.png
1516009585773.png
1516009636720.png

After some more thinking I remember that this mon had some usage in last gen's RU and I felt it could serve a solid check to several huge threats in the tier and provide spin block
1516009508863.png
1516009517457.png
1516009530501.png
1516009585773.png
1516009636720.png
1516009701497.png

After getting molested by the UmbreonStoise wish spam guy who had stallbreaker Espeon I realized I wanted a response to that in particular and also saw that Queen wasn't doing all too much so I slapped on Drapion over it.
1516009508863.png
1516009517457.png
1516009530501.png
1516009585773.png
1516009845786.png
1516009701497.png
~fin
So on paper this team looks a little loony given that I'm using 2 mons from the C's and an unranked mon, but I liked the synergy and I felt it created a solid balance of mons that would allow me to tackle the different styles in the tier and I believe I succeeded in doing so. The alt I used to get reqs was HotGayLizardDads and my failed attempt was Men Whom Yeet
1516010340660.png

Cool, now let's talk about the team one member at a time
1516010561104.png
1516009517457.png
1516009530501.png
1516009585773.png
1516009845786.png
1516009701497.png
Noivern @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Super Fang
- Roost
- Hurricane

When I started my building process I knew I had to a lot of threats and playstyles to deal with so as any person would do I scrolled through the viability rankings and speed tiers and ran into this beauty sitting in C+. I forget where I saw this set exactly, but it was from somewhere in the ORAS UU forums back in the day. Anyways, stallbreaker Noivern is a pretty neat set if you do ask me. With a solid defensive typing that lets it take hits decently well paired with a fast Taunt + Roost, I knew this thing had potential. On top of it being a pretty cool set by its own right, this manages to deal with three out of the four S tiers sans Feraligatr, and in a meta where Salazzle and Durant are running amok looking to shred defensive teams, I felt having this guy around to offensively check those is too good to pass up on.
For a basic rundown, the speed investment outpaces max speed Salazzle by one point as I didn't feel it was necessary to try and tie with opposing Noiverns as they seemingly don't exist. The rest of my evs were dumped into hp and defense to best take hits and be able to stop things from moving. Noivern does such an outstanding job of shutting down the majority of bulky Pokemon in the tier (Milotic, Mandibuzz, Gligar, Umbreon) by virtue of Taunt + SFang, while also being able to keep a vast amount of scary offensive threats with a STAB Hurricane that also has a lovely chance to confuse if I'm so lucky. This is pretty well taken care of by things such as a healthy Mega Lix, MGlalie, Tyrantrum it serves an invaluable role on this team of just completely manhandling stall and fat and being able to revenge big threats like Durant and Salazzle.
I almost forgot another huge advantage to having Noivern: FRISK. This is really useful for scouting out potential Z moves and other items and while it may be more useful if I had U-turn, it's still a really nice tool at my disposal.

1516009508863.png
1516011405928.png
1516009530501.png
1516009585773.png
1516009845786.png
1516009701497.png
Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect
- Foul Play

This is an Umbreon. From what I understand, Umbreon is vital to RU stall and I see the reason. It's dumb thicc. It passes wishes, eats hits, and gets rid of status, all of which are invaluable to the integrity of the team. As far as this Umbreon goes, there's nothing really special. I have no idea what the standard set is for this thing but I went with a mixed bulk spread to best sponge as many hits as possible. Umbreon does well to not get 2hkod by banded Thousand Arrows by Zyg, +1 Liquidation from Gatr, and that sort of thing. It doesn't die easily and it's important, there's not a whole lot to say about it.

1516009508863.png
1516009517457.png
1516011661261.png
1516009585773.png
1516009845786.png
1516009701497.png
Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Protect
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Ok so once again, nothing really special to see here. It's a Registeel, plain and simple, but by God does this thing hold the team together in most matches. I rely on Regi so much and it pretty much always does its job well. With both Wish and cleric support from Umbreon, I can manage to keep this thing healthy pretty easily and Toxic + Protect allows me to keep my HP relatively high while also being able to whittle down the opponent. Rocks are here because rocks are a necessity and SToss is the final move as it lets me hit things for consistent damage. I would love a 5th move Iron Head on this thing just to get more consistent chip off Florges which is one of the bigger nuisances to this tame paired with Mega Steelix, but alas, I make do. I find in a lot of games that as long as I get my hazards up, I can win just relying on Umbreon + Registeel to not die. It's a nice feeling to have a two mon core that's obnoxiously bulky. Definitely one of the MVP's of this team and the fact it takes 50ish percent from a Moltres Fire Blast never ceases to remind me how ridiculous and stupid this thing is.

1516009508863.png
1516009517457.png
1516009530501.png
1516011992194.png
1516009845786.png
1516009701497.png
Blastoise-Mega @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 48 SpA / 8 Spe
Modest Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin

Now with the recent addition of Mega Blastoise to the tier, I was curious to see the different ways in which it could be utilized and I'm fairly happy with its role on this team. Essentially this gives me another very bulky mon that loves receiving wishes, a spinner that isn't some useless pile of garbage like Donphan, Tsareena, or Dhelmise, and can apply a bit of offensive pressure to teams. The EV spread is to live two banded Thousand Arrows from Zygarde after rocks as well as other hits like anything from Durant including a +1 All Out Pummeling from full, and my special attack while mainly was leftovers guarantees the KO on Durant with any of my three attacks after one hit of rocks or any other hit. This mon was very useful to put pressure on my opponents especially as a great way to threaten Mega Steelix which would otherwise be extremely difficult to break for this team. I've toiled with the idea of slapping on Roar, Haze, or Rest instead of one of my coverage moves but I felt that my 3 attacks and spin were useful and I didn't feel I was overly weak to any kind of setup with the nature of my team.

1516009508863.png
1516009517457.png
1516009530501.png
1516009585773.png
1516013107184.png
1516009701497.png
Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 44 SpD / 216 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Poison Jab/Earthquake/Whirlwind

From what I have perceived, Drapion is another one of those mons in RU that doesn't get a whole lot of love, and while I think it kind of sucks most of the time, Drapion fit this team like a glove. Fast STAB Knock Off? Check. Toxic Spikes? Check. Absorb opposing Toxic Spikes? Yup. Fast Taunt? You bet! Like Noivern, I didn't find it necessary to run full speed on Drap since nothing else sits at base 95 minus Uxie which isn't going to be Timid max most likely anyways. I put enough speed to outpace Timid base 90s like Roserade and Meloetta and then made it max hp with a little spdef to take hits from said Rose and Melo a little better. Now for the most point, Drapion typically isn't all that necessary for walling out the opponents teams and there have been several occasion where I happily sack it off to get my TSpikes up, but Drap has its moments. This thing is the be all, end all to every Psychic and Ghost in the tier that I can think of and the utility of a second taunter to beat down opposing fat garbage is very useful. Being able to remove lefties from Registeels is so incredibly useful for me and having a way to moderately threaten Florges was pretty useful too. Now though Poison Jab is the 4th move I ended up using more as a way to take 40% off of Florges but Eq was what I originally used to put a tiny bit more heat on Steelix and and other ground weak mons, but Drapion is so damn weak that it just didn't seem necessary. Whirlwind I guess could be a cool third option to mess with either hazard weak teams or teams trying to send wishes to their Mega Steelix. By far, the moves I clicked the most with this were Taunt and Toxic Spikes, but Knock Off on a semi stall team is a very useful element.

1516009508863.png
1516009517457.png
1516009530501.png
1516009585773.png
1516009845786.png
1516013769723.png

Rotom @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 12 SpA / 248 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Volt Switch
- Defog / Pain Split

So finally we have Rotom. Now Rotom may seem like a really odd pick for this team as it isn't even a ranked mon in RU, but I believe in Rotom, and for whatever reason, near the latter end of my build, this thing popped into my head. After using this thing, I see no reason why this shouldn't see a bit more daylight in RU, but that's a different case. What drew me to Rotom was its ability to somewhat deal with Durant. With my Colbur Berry, I can safely take one of any hit Durant wants to throw at me (except for +1 Z move Crunch) and either burn it or knock it out with Volt Switch if it's chipped down enough. Along with being a soft check to Durant, I felt that Rotom has a lot of merit in the current meta and with this team. Given that I have Tspikes, Toxic on Registeel, and WillO on this, Hex can become a very good spammable move to punch holes in the opponent's team. The speed is here once again to outpace base 90's as I didn't see the point in trying to speed tie with a mon that doesn't exist in the tier aside from this team. For the most part I ran Defog as my fourth move to give me a secondary removal option as Blastoise can be pressured to the point where it cannot spin, and having a faster removal option that isn't Flygon seemed appealing to me. Overall, the amount of mons that Rotom can abuse with fast Will-O's, Hexes, and Volt Switches is pretty impressive. Being able to burn Mega Steelix and Registeel in particular proved to be very useful in breaking those annoyances down, and I may also add that having a member that outspeeds Linoone, is immune to Extreme Speed, and can burn it is very useful from a matchup standpoint. Pain Split is the other option you can roll with here, but I found that passing a well timed Wish worked even better if I was committed to keeping Rotom healthy.
TLDR: Rotom is cool and useful and you should try it out.

1516014773260.png
+
1516014791056.png
This core is really really difficult for me to beat, but depending on different factors is more managable. If it's Defog Florges then it's no problem bc they won't have Aroma so I can status these all day. If it is Aroma then I have to get fancy with Noivern and manage to Super Fang the Florges on switch and then Taunt it.
1516014948058.png
Easily one of the biggest threats to my team. If it's choiced it's very beatable as I can Protect to scout it out and then switch accordingly, but if I protect on a Hone Claws I have a sack a mon and revenge with Noivern. Fuck this thing.
1516014966435.png
Umbreon eats one and Stoise eats two and between them and hazards, it's managable.
1516015118218.png
Spooky threat but Umbreon walls Scarf easily and Noivern can take on the Nasty Plot variations
1516015006328.png
This thing is scary, if I can scout its item with Noivern, I can play around it better, but I may have to eat a Fire Blast with Regi to get off a toxic.
1516009585773.pngAnother big annoying threat to the team. If I poison it then Noivern can 1v1 it unless it's packing Ice Beam which is not common and Registeel + Umbreon can stall it with Prot + Toxic since they're both fat and dumb
1516015046268.png
This thing is annoying. The recycle set gets Knocked and then is a liability but RestTalk is annoying. If I have Rotom it can't do anything, but I have a really hard time killing it.
1516015100924.png
This has the potential to really damage my team. Noivern typically takes 2 banded Liquids and can retaliate with Hurricane or SFang, and Umbreon can Foul Play and eat a hit
1516015128014.png
Given that I have no resist this could be a big problem but the combo of Tspikes with 2 protect users and a phys def Umbreon and MStoise make this thing not too big a deal

I more or less failed to gather a bunch of replays but here's a couple that show off different aspects of the team:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7rususpecttest-688949910
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7rususpecttest-688959342

This team was enjoyable to use and I think it was fun for me to be able to get reqs with my own team that utilized several uncommon Pokemon in the tier that appear to be very useful. Hope you enjoyed the read and leave any comments in the typical place. Thanks

Team Import

Attachments

Last edited:

Feliburn

is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
RU Leader
Hey man, just wanted to comment on the super fire noivern set, I had the opportunity to play vs you on the ladder and it definitely was a super annoying set to face, considering it completely stopped my snorlax from doing anything the entire game. Props for coming up with such a creative set dude!

MrAldo

Hey
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Congratulations on the peak and for delivering such a cool and interesting team, gotta appreciate creativity.

A couple of pointers that could potentially helps against some things.

First, since you have your z-slot move open I could recommend running Flyinium Z over Leftovers on that Noivern. This has pretty functional applications for your team since it can KO Salazzle, Durant, Araquanid, and Virizion without the need of risking a miss on dire situations.

Second, I think it would be more beneficial to go offensive on this Drapion. I believe Choice Band Drapion is pretty optimal for this type of built but I believe you like having Toxic Spikes and thats cool so Id still consider running Max Attack on Drapion. Running 252 Attack makes the combination of Knock Off + Earthquake KO Nidoqueen which can be a pretty big annoyance since you have Registeel which kind of give it free switch-ins and Umbreon isnt max spdef to handle it as efficiently. Also Pursuit over Taunt I believe would be great here since with that you can pursuit trap Meloetta which can be another massive threat to your team so having the extra damage Pursuit can do to handle could be excellent.

Last, have you considered making the Rotom Choice Scarf? While the defensive applications are valid for the current set I believe having the revenge kill value on Durant, Taunt Nasty Plot Mismagius which I see very hard to stop on the current conditions, a fast will-o-wisp to neuter Zygarde, and the utility of trick to somewhat neuter Snorlax can come pretty handy. Im afraid it would have to be played vastly different from your current one but it can be something to consider.
Rotom @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Hopefully this rate can help you improve the team. Keep up the good work.

Congratulations on the peak and for delivering such a cool and interesting team, gotta appreciate creativity.

A couple of pointers that could potentially helps against some things.

First, since you have your z-slot move open I could recommend running Flyinium Z over Leftovers on that Noivern. This has pretty functional applications for your team since it can KO Salazzle, Durant, Araquanid, and Virizion without the need of risking a miss on dire situations.

Second, I think it would be more beneficial to go offensive on this Drapion. I believe Choice Band Drapion is pretty optimal for this type of built but I believe you like having Toxic Spikes and thats cool so Id still consider running Max Attack on Drapion. Running 252 Attack makes the combination of Knock Off + Earthquake KO Nidoqueen which can be a pretty big annoyance since you have Registeel which kind of give it free switch-ins and Umbreon isnt max spdef to handle it as efficiently. Also Pursuit over Taunt I believe would be great here since with that you can pursuit trap Meloetta which can be another massive threat to your team so having the extra damage Pursuit can do to handle could be excellent.

Last, have you considered making the Rotom Choice Scarf? While the defensive applications are valid for the current set I believe having the revenge kill value on Durant, Taunt Nasty Plot Mismagius which I see very hard to stop on the current conditions, a fast will-o-wisp to neuter Zygarde, and the utility of trick to somewhat neuter Snorlax can come pretty handy. Im afraid it would have to be played vastly different from your current one but it can be something to consider.
Rotom @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Trick

Hopefully this rate can help you improve the team. Keep up the good work.
Thank you for the rate and positive feedback! Those are definitely some good suggestions esp z on Noivern. This team definitely has some room for improvement so I'll look into trying out different variations c:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)