SM OU Nonviable Poison Type? (GONE SEXUAL)

Hi! This is the first RMT I’ve ever written up. This is a team I built around bringing Muk to OU. I made a fresh account and was able to hit 1500 with it (32 wins, 12 losses). I think this team does pretty well until 1500, but past that point, bulkier teams can be an issue. Specifically, this team struggles with Mega Sableye, Kyurem-b, Shift Gear Magearna, and Tapu Koko if it’s checks can’t switch in. I really enjoy this team and I was wondering if anyone had suggestions to make it struggle less with the issues listed above. Thanks for reading!

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 28 Def / 92 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Fire Punch

Alolan Muk with can kick some psychic type ass. Assault Vest allows it to soak up many special hits. It can check and pursuit trap things like Tapu Lele, Latios, and Blacephalon locked into shadow ball. Fire Punch allows it to take on Scizor and Ferrothorn with ease. This spread also allows it to 2HKO defensive Tapu Fini (after rocks if it’s max def). I’m running poison jab instead of gunk shot for accuracy.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Zen Headbutt

Setting up grassy terrain helps my other teammates who are on the ground, as well as making Lando-T and Excadrill less threatening. Most mons don’t want to take a Choice Banded Wood Hammer, besides Heatran, who I have Superpower for. Zen Headbutt allows it to 2HKO Mega Venusaur.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Taunt

Keldeo fills the role of a stall breaker on the team. Leftovers allows it to be more comfortable in some 1v1s and can mitigate scald burns. It can also be used as an anti lead in some situations. Taunt allows it to shut down things like Toxapex, Mantine, and Chansey. Calm Mind gives it the opportunity to set up on things like Ash Greninja and Chansey. Scald strikes fear into the hearts of any physical attacker that switches into it, as well as chipping walls with burn damage. Secret Sword is another stab move that’s great for taking on Chansey, Ferrothorn, and Greninja.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

A staple in the OU meta for generations, Lando-T makes a great physical wall and Stealth Rocker. It gives the team a ground immunity as well. Hidden Power Ice allows it to 2HKO other Landos and Zygarde (after rocks). Rocky Helmet chips at physical attackers.

Victini @ Normalium Z
Ability: Victory Star
Timid Nature
- Celebrate
- Searing Shot
- Stored Power
- Focus Blast

Victini has it pretty easy after one Z-Celebrate. After the omni boost, it can OHKO a specially defensive Toxapex after rocks with Stored Power. Without rocks, it has a 43.8% chance to OHKO Toxapex. After the boost, it can clean up most teams. The only mon that checks this set really well is Latios, as stored power is only a 3HKO.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Discharge
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Zapdos is the team’s defogger. It can take on Toxapex and Tapu Fini with Discharge. Pressure and Roost allow it to 1v1 defensive Mew sets. Hidden Power Ice can do significant damage to Landorus and Zygarde. It outspeeds Lando-T with it’s speed EV’s. The speed evs also allow it to speed tie with Charizard Y and potentially 2HKO it.
I’m curious to see how everyone will critique this team. I think it has pretty solid synergy between Muk, Tapu Bulu, and Keldeo. Like I said before, I have issues with Mega Sableye, Kyurem-b, Shift Gear Magearna, and Tapu Koko. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for reading!

So from looking at your team I think I'll just suggest two things, which I believe both help your matchup with bulkier teams.

1. SubCM Keldo. I feel like this may help your match up with bulkier because you have the ability to bluff scarf or specs and sub on the switches. This way you can get up a CM from behind the sub and makes you less susceptible to stall.
2. My second suggestion is to use nature's madness Bulu. I know it sounds odd, but just listen. Natures madness is something you can use to widdle down offensive mons as they switch in, and helps you get rid of some bulky pokemon that seem to trouble your team.

So from looking at your team I think I'll just suggest two things, which I believe both help your matchup with bulkier teams.

1. SubCM Keldo. I feel like this may help your match up with bulkier because you have the ability to bluff scarf or specs and sub on the switches. This way you can get up a CM from behind the sub and makes you less susceptible to stall.
2. My second suggestion is to use nature's madness Bulu. I know it sounds odd, but just listen. Natures madness is something you can use to widdle down offensive mons as they switch in, and helps you get rid of some bulky pokemon that seem to trouble your team.
Thanks for the suggestions! I think the Keldeo idea could be pretty helpful. The Bulu suggestion is a little unorthodox but I will give it a try.

A

Joker fan
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hi vendri, I'm A and I'll be looking at your team~

Muk-Alola is definitely a cool choice and definitely pairs well with Victini and Tapu Bulu. Let's look over at Keldeo and Zapdos though.

Keldeo is quite a solid mon, though it's not really the best fit for a team like this, in the same vein Zapdos doesn't go too well here. Let's take a look at better alternatives instead as well as other changes.

(also worth noting that Muk-Alola is definitely viable contrary to the title of the RMT.)

LO SD Tapu Bulu > Choice Band

While Choice Band Tapu Bulu is immensely powerful, it tends to struggle if one predicts wrong. LO SD gives some more reliable breaking as well as
flexibility in pressuring various defensive threats. LO is chosen as Victini's already carrying the Z-Move. Tapu Bulu can pressure the likes of Landorus-Therian and bust open holes so that Victini has an easier time. Zen Headbutt can demolish Mega Venusaur which helps a certain member quite a bit.

Yache Berry > Rocky Helmet

Yache Berry allows you to lure Tapu Koko quite easily, especially since you're going to be running Tapu Bulu which means you give your opponent the impression that you're most likely Assault Vest. Yache Landorus-T accomplishes baiting Tapu Koko as well as dealing with Ice Beam Magearna and opposing Defensive Landorus as you run more speed EVs than standard Defensive.

(also Bisharp is a bit annoying for the squad but fast Lando-T and Adamant Bulu can revenge kill it)

Keldeo is cool but you did mention that Sableye and Kyurem are quite annoying, and this change I'm going to be presenting can deal with some of your issues as well and ease the matchup vs Stall teams quite a lot.

Mega Mawile > Keldeo

SD Mega Mawile pairs quite nicely with Tapu Bulu as Grassy Terrain and Intimidate as well as a bulkier build gives it an easier time and can even switch into the likes of non Earth Power Kyurem-Black in a pinch. The EVs while not on the analysis page outpaces Sassy Magearna by 1 point.

Choice Scarf Latios > Zapdos

Latios gives the team some much needed speed control as well as a tiny buffer for the likes of Heatran as Keldeo is no longer present on the team. Defog is kept which aids Victini quite a bit, and Scarf Latios can also answer and revenge most Kartana variants no sweat with Draco Meteor. Surf can chunk Heatran for a good bit of damage.

While not exactly perfect, that should go much better! Good luck and have fun with SM Overused!

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Fire Punch

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

Landorus-Therian @ Yache Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Victini @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Celebrate
- Searing Shot
- Stored Power
- Focus Blast

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Swords Dance

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Defog
- Psyshock

Last edited:

Muk-Alola is definitely a cool choice and definitely pairs well with Victini and Tapu Bulu. Let's look over at Keldeo and Zapdos though.

Keldeo is quite a solid mon, though it's not really the best fit for a team like this, in the same vein Zapdos doesn't go too well here. Let's take a look at better alternatives instead as well as other changes.

(also worth noting that Muk-Alola is definitely viable contrary to the title of the RMT.)

While Choice Band Tapu Bulu is immensely powerful, it tends to struggle if one predicts wrong. LO SD gives some more reliable breaking as well as
flexibility in pressuring various defensive threats. LO is chosen as Victini's already carrying the Z-Move. Tapu Bulu can pressure the likes of Landorus-Therian and bust open holes so that Victini has an easier time. Zen Headbutt can demolish Mega Venusaur which helps a certain member quite a bit.

Yache Berry allows you to lure Tapu Koko quite easily, especially since you're going to be running Tapu Bulu which means you give your opponent the impression that you're most likely Assault Vest. Yache Landorus-T accomplishes baiting Tapu Koko as well as dealing with Ice Beam Magearna and opposing Defensive Landorus as you run more speed EVs than standard Defensive.

(also Bisharp is a bit annoying for the squad but fast Lando-T and Adamant Bulu can revenge kill it)

Keldeo is cool but you did mention that Sableye and Kyurem are quite annoying, and this change I'm going to be presenting can deal with some of your issues as well and ease the matchup vs Stall teams quite a lot.

Mega Mawile > Keldeo

SD Mega Mawile pairs quite nicely with Tapu Bulu as Grassy Terrain and Intimidate as well as a bulkier build gives it an easier time and can even switch into the likes of non Earth Power Kyurem-Black in a pinch. The EVs while not on the analysis page outpaces Sassy Magearna by 1 point.

Latios gives the team some much needed speed control as well as a tiny buffer for the likes of Heatran as Keldeo is no longer present on the team. Defog is kept which aids Victini quite a bit, and Scarf Latios can also answer and revenge most Kartana variants no sweat with Draco Meteor. Surf can chunk Heatran for a good bit of damage.

While not exactly perfect, that should go much better! Good luck and have fun with SM Overused!

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Fire Punch

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Victini @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Celebrate
- Searing Shot
- Stored Power
- Focus Blast

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Swords Dance

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Defog
- Psyshock
Thank you for the suggestions! Quite the detailed reply. I’ll have to test these and write another reply about how these changes worked.

Reactions: A

Mega Mawile > Keldeo

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Fire Punch

Tapu Bulu @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Horn Leech
- Superpower

Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Victini @ Normalium Z
Timid Nature
- Celebrate
- Searing Shot
- Stored Power
- Focus Blast

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Swords Dance

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Surf
- Defog
- Psyshock
This changes you suggested have been working out great. Sometimes I feel like I don't have a good switch for Zard-Y, but I don't see it too often. Thanks again!

Reactions: A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)