SM LC Noob Need Help With LC Team

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to LC and fairly new to Pokemon. Here's my team, it's a lot of fun but I know it can be a lot better. I'm a total noob so any advice would be welcome. Thanks

The general idea for this team is simple. Get Aurora Veil up, and then use Zigzagoon belly drum to sweep. Diglett is there to trap fire types going after Vulpix. Ponyta can lure in water types with Bloom Doom, and has some coverage with Wild Charge. Vullaby is just a good pokemon imo, pretty beefy and under the right circumstances can faceroll an enemy team with weak armor and nasty plot. Abra is a decent revenge killer with some good coverage, although I feel that any type of hazards really defeats it's purpose on this team.

Vulpix-Alola (F) @ Light Clay
Ability: Snow Warning
Level: 5
EVs: 120 SpA / 148 SpD / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Aurora Veil
- Blizzard
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Freeze-Dry

Zigger Hurt U (Zigzagoon) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Pickup
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 132 HP / 196 Atk / 108 Def / 8 SpA / 28 SpD / 36 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Extreme Speed
- Thief
- Protect

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 236 SpA / 156 SpD / 116 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Dark Pulse
- Defog

Abra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 76 Atk / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Knock Off
- Energy Ball

Diglett @ Groundium Z
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Memento
- Sucker Punch
- Sludge Bomb

Ponyta @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 236 Atk / 76 SpA / 196 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Solar Beam
- Flame Charge
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge

Last edited:
You need more detailed explanations for the Pokemon, the roles they perform for your team, and what their moves are. You need to read the Rules and Guidelines before posting an RMT. If you don't, your RMT will be locked and no one will be able to give you feedback. Just a heads up.

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello, Alola-Vulpix offense is a cool playstyle, but you're not taking in consideration some basic things of SM and of battling, such as you can only have one Z-Move and you always need Stealth Rock, especially on an offensive team. You also have the wrong ability on Abra, you should pay more attention while building because these kind of errors can cost you a match.

I would start changing some sets:
  • Vullaby: Defog is useless on the NP set, try to run Nasty Plot / Heat Wave / Air Slash / Hidden Power Grass so you can damage properly some Zigzagoon checks such as Ferroseed, Pawniard, Onix, and Kabuto. Also with an EVs spread of 116 HP / 240 SpA / 116 Spe Vulla will take hits a bit better, especially on the physical side
  • Abra: first change the nature to Magic Guard. Then I think that Psychic / Dazzling Gleam / Hidden Power Fight / Knock Off would work better. DGleam will give something to hit DD Scrafty in case it starts boosting, HP Fight can damage well Steel-types and Knock Off is nice in order to remove Eviolites to the likes of Spritzee or Grimer
  • Diglett: as I said, you lack of Stealth Rock, and Sludge Bomb isn't really necessary since you are cool againist Grass-types. Earthquake / Rock Slide / Sucker Punch / Stealth Rock is a cool set in my opinion. Rock Slide is needed since you're really weak to Doduo and giving it free turns isn't a good idea
As for Ponyta, I don't think this fits your team particularly well, so I would run Carvanha over it. Carvanha can be a backup cleaner in case Zigzagoon doesn't manage to setup, or just a mid-game breaker to weaken mons for Ziggy.
Carvanha @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 236 SpA / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
That's all, I hope that with my suggestions your team will improve n_n

Hello, Alola-Vulpix offense is a cool playstyle, but you're not taking in consideration some basic things of SM and of battling, such as you can only have one Z-Move and you always need Stealth Rock, especially on an offensive team. You also have the wrong ability on Abra, you should pay more attention while building because these kind of errors can cost you a match.

I would start changing some sets:
  • Vullaby: Defog is useless on the NP set, try to run Nasty Plot / Heat Wave / Air Slash / Hidden Power Grass so you can damage properly some Zigzagoon checks such as Ferroseed, Pawniard, Onix, and Kabuto. Also with an EVs spread of 116 HP / 240 SpA / 116 Spe Vulla will take hits a bit better, especially on the physical side
  • Abra: first change the nature to Magic Guard. Then I think that Psychic / Dazzling Gleam / Hidden Power Fight / Knock Off would work better. DGleam will give something to hit DD Scrafty in case it starts boosting, HP Fight can damage well Steel-types and Knock Off is nice in order to remove Eviolites to the likes of Spritzee or Grimer
  • Diglett: as I said, you lack of Stealth Rock, and Sludge Bomb isn't really necessary since you are cool againist Grass-types. Earthquake / Rock Slide / Sucker Punch / Stealth Rock is a cool set in my opinion. Rock Slide is needed since you're really weak to Doduo and giving it free turns isn't a good idea
As for Ponyta, I don't think this fits your team particularly well, so I would run Carvanha over it. Carvanha can be a backup cleaner in case Zigzagoon doesn't manage to setup, or just a mid-game breaker to weaken mons for Ziggy.
Carvanha @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 236 SpA / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
That's all, I hope that with my suggestions your team will improve n_n
Thank you very much! I have made those adjustments and am experimenting with it right now. I wanted to ask your opinion on keeping memento over sucker punch, as using memento can lead into a really easy set up for aurora veil or belly drum. (Forces them to switch out most of the time)

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Thank you very much! I have made those adjustments and am experimenting with it right now. I wanted to ask your opinion on keeping memento over sucker punch, as using memento can lead into a really easy set up for aurora veil or belly drum. (Forces them to switch out most of the time)
Sucker is good to take on some weakened scarf mon, but you can go for memento if you feel it's better

I'm not gonna try and change your whole team up but you do have some sets that can be polished.

You already have a good wincon in zig, so I would change vullaby to the offensive set
Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Atk / 76 SpD / 116 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Knock Off
- Roost
- U-turn

You can also make it a mixed vull set and run Heat Wave which will help eliminate ferroseed which is a major pain for zig.

For Abra change the nature to magic guard and run Psychic/Dazzling Gleam/Counter/Energy Ball or Shadow Ball.

Counter is good because it gives you a way to beat Grimer-A which switches in and traps Abra. Psy/Dazzle/Eball Or Shadow Ball is the best coverage you can get, you generally don't want knock on a pokemon like Abra. Shadow Ball allows you to hit pumpkaboo while energy ball let's you hit stuff like chinchou, drilbur, and staryu a little bit harder.

Abra Set
Abra @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 76 SpD / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Counter
- Energy Ball

I would also change Diglett's set a little and run rock slide or over sludge bomb.

Ponyta is really not as good as it used to be right now and you also lack a good spinner to help clear hazards and webs of you run offensive vull. I would change out ponyta for staryu. Here's the set.
Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 196 SpA / 76 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Psychic

You can also run icium z instead of eviolite to hit vull and foongus pretty hard.

Hello!

I started playing LC in gen 5, so I wouldn't consider myself a noob, but I am also not particularly well versed in LC SM, so please take everything I say with a grain of salt.

First things first, you should probably include a more detailed description of your choices. The rules say that three lines for each Pokemon is a good guideline. There is a really nice resource made by Nineage and TheFenderStory which can help with making everything in the right format, it even reminds you of where to write everything. (pretty nifty) Import your team and it does all the formatting work for you. https://clean-rmt.herokuapp.com/

As for the team proper, I might consider changing protect for Seed bomb on zigzagoon. this lets it hit more threats, and beat would be checks in hippopotas and bulky waters with greater ease.

additionally I would change the ability on abra to magic guard this makes him immune to hail, entry hazzards, and the effect of burn/poison, all this helps to preserve the focus sash.

Anyways good luck,
-Mecoptera

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi, I'm locking your RMT for the time being as your descriptions are lacking and not up to the standard required by the forum rules. You need to provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at RMTs in Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)